What to do with Dark Vengeance ravenwing bikes

Okay, so I got some of the DV bikes for cheap to beef up a planned Ravenwing Black Knight based command squad. I've always used RW bikers, with DA iconography removed, since I like the wings on the back and the front fairings. These ones look a little fancier, so I figured they'd be better for a bike command squad. The BK/Command Squad box comes with three bikes and I figured the Dark Vengeance guys would be a good way to beef them up as the styling is much closer to the new ones (obviously). My problem is, as push-fits, there's less you can do to customize them. In particular, I don't care for the robed look. Unless, of course, it's a librarian or chaplain... 

So that got me thinking. I can use the serg and convert him into a character model and that would still leave the command squad at five. I haven't yet decided if I want to do a libby or chappy. That's where you guys come in. 

A ) Most importantly, who do you think would look cooler on a bike, a chaplain or librarian? 

B ) Not that I game much, but is one or the other a clear choice to put on a bike in terms of gameplay? I run RG chapter tactics, which doesn't really help bikes at all, but I like them anyway and they fit the play style I like. 

C ) What loadout makes the most sense/looks the coolest? I can mount a gun to the fairing like Geektom did with his chaplain, but one hand will most likely be holding a Crozius or Force Sword. 

Not that it matters much, but I already have a terminator chaplain and a PA libby with a magnetized jump pack, and I don't really want something to totally duplicate their battlefield roles. I also have a 6-strong +1 attack bike squad already. So the character model could accompany them as opposed to the command squad. I will probably be making a mounted captain and/or techmarine at some point as well. 

What have you guys and gals done with mounted characters and what worked/didn't work? I've got all the time in the world to think about this, since it's a back-burner project. Let's chat. 

Cut the DV libby in half at the waist and pop him on there! A mobile librarian is always fun with shorter ranged powers, I think the force weapon is better than a crozius, plus twin bolters for more shooty death

In terms of gaming, I can see a chaplain being pretty useful. If you're using a captain to make them scoring you can view bikes as being like a faster, tougher tactical squad. Sticking a chaplain with the group gives a re-roll in cc which helps them to have a little more punch.

I'll just drop these here....

gallery_48988_7152_115588.jpg

gallery_48988_7152_269021.jpg

gallery_48988_7152_291309.jpg

my vote is for the Librarian.

Cheers,

Jono

Oh, well both of those are totally viable in terms of proof-of-concept. Thanks!

In terms of gaming, I can see a chaplain being pretty useful. If you're using a captain to make them scoring you can view bikes as being like a faster, tougher tactical squad. Sticking a chaplain with the group gives a re-roll in cc which helps them to have a little more punch.

Good point, but this would be to ride alongside a command squad.

I have used them as the base for a librarian. Chaplain and techmarine. Can't post the photos but you can get to them from my siggi links to DA.

I will try to post the photos later.

Photos ;)

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/074/6/f/brother_librarian_eudaemon___dark_angels_by_elmo9141-d5y3lyd.jpg

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2013/200/5/1/ravenwing_techmarine_with_servo_harness_by_elmo9141-d6e678i.jpg

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2013/200/8/b/ravenwing_chaplain_by_elmo9141-d6e66ye.jpg

Those look fantastic, Elmo. I picked up a box of Ravenwing Command Squad as well, so now I've got 6 total to play with. So I think I'm going to do either the libby or chaplain and then a full 5 in the command squad to ride with them. Trying to figure out how to replace the plasma guns on the faring with bolters now. DV bikers are so cheap I might end up just getting more for bits and a future techmarine or something, though.

The command squad/knights box is a great source of bits, well worth getting. Using dv bikers I managed to get knights and cmd squad out of it with bits to spare.

I have got another dv incoming too. You just can't beat the price especially if you know a chaos player to split the price with.

Looks so top-heavy in all the right ways. Like a mechanical spider. I just got an awesome idea to make some mechadendrite-based training wheels that would pop off the side and drop down for tight banking. I think I need to do this conversion now. I would love a mounted TP to hang out with my Knight anyway. They could be besties... 

Care to share what bits you used? That's not just one servo-harness, is it? 

It is the finecrap techmarine harness but you need to trim it at the bottom and reposition the arms to face forwards. It took a little playing with to get it just right ;)

You will also have to move the winged standard more to the rear. The helmet is from the RW battle box extras sprue the rest are standard RW bits.

Archived