New to Sisters HELP!

SkullBob

I have been a long time ork player since 1994 back when no body played orks now with the new dex everyone seems to be playing them.  So I decided I need a change of pace.  I rarely see a sisters army any more and I loved them when they first came out so I figured now is the time to build an army but I am having trouble finding recent tactics and advice for building a sisters army.

Can any of you give me places to go to get good tactical advice, army list ideas, builds, advice in general.  I also wish they made a printed codex for sisters I hate trying to read it off the computer screen or tablet. but that is just me being an old fart.  Any way any adivce, tips or tactics would be greatly appreciated. 

Are you looking to field pure sisters force or are you willing to take allies?

When using only sisters melta spam is something that comes up often.

Minimal squads with immolators.

I for one occasionally ally sisters with guard and it works quite nicely.

You've come to the right place. We have good advice for all styles of Sisterhood.

The threads here are full of good (and occasionally disputed) advice for beginners to advanced Sisters players. Specific questions can be answered quickly and relatively painlessly, too.

You're in the US, so you can probably get away with printing out a hardcopy from your digi-dex for reference purposes.

I was looking pure sister force but allie with IG is also something I was considering since I have seen some army list with them on here.  I was planning on printing out the dex just so I could have a hard copy in hand.

I guess I want to know for a newbie what is the best way to start?  A couple of squads of troops yes but which hq? 

You can never go wrong with Celestine, though she's not the auto-include she once was.

I agree with Max, plus she's such an iconic model why wouldn't you want one!

If you are looking to start out with a low points force, nothing wrong in using a canoness, you can tool her up nice and ride her with her SoBs

Celestine, Exorcists and Dominion squads with meltas are the stars of the show in the Sisters codex. If Forgeworld is acceptable with the people you play with, I also think that Repressors are great and the Avenger Strike Fighter provides your only option for skyfire other than fortifications.

HQ (Celestine or Canoness)

2 x Small SoB Squads in Immolators

1 x Dominions with Melta in Immolator 

1 x Exorcist

Will run you to around 800 points

Not sure about US prices but here in the UK you'd be looking new at over £220 for this lot, so its not cheap

Hi Skullbob !! And welcome to the sisterhood paradise !

I won't add a thing because all advice above are good and come from more experienced "nuns-with-guns" players but i'll just whisper something in your ear: don't forget the flamerzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. 

'Cause meltas are great but rare heretics' steaks are the best :D

I'm just going to say, that as good as Celestine is; Uriah Jacobus has a lot more utility for your army.  To be honest, since I started playing Sisters I would say he has been my HQ of choice 90% of the time.  To get the most out of him you have to kinda build a list with him in mind, but that said, he still adds to any army.

When starting out, make sure you get a solid base of troops first, and the build that fits you best.  For example many people swear by multiple small units of 5, whereas others prefer big blobs of 20.  Both are very good in different ways so it really depends on what you want from your troops; you can even mix and match if you like. 

My personal flavour of Battle Sisters is to take 9 with flamer, Heavy flamer, combi-flamer and a priest with another combi-flamer.  I put them in a Rhino or Repressor for an uber anti-infantry unit and it works well with preferred enemy.

Sometimes I add meltabombs for some anti-tank options, but generally speaking I have that covered through Dominions, Immolators, Repentia and Penitent Engines. 

I would advise that our most important Force-Org slot is the fast attack one.  More so then Heavy Support.

I use both at 2000 points, with Uriah as the warlord and Celestine tanking for the Seraphim as she always did.  She's basically yet another priority target in my list, alongside the Seraphim, the Repentia, the Penitent Engines and everything else :p

HQ (Celestine or Canoness)

2 x Small SoB Squads in Immolators

1 x Dominions with Melta in Immolator 

1 x Exorcist

Will run you to around 800 points

Not sure about US prices but here in the UK you'd be looking new at over £220 for this lot, so its not cheap

Wow thank you everyone this is great and exactly what I was needing to get me going.  All of you gave lots of good information and I will be using a lot of it.  I know it is not cheap but what Warhammer army is?  Besides the more I read the codex the more I am really liking the sisters. 

I think I will get all three Cannoness, Celestine because she is so iconic and Urhiah and try them all out to see what I like. 

I like the meltas but I love the idea of flamers especially with all the ork and nid horde armies in my area. 

Again thank you all this has been a great help. 

I know it is not cheap but what Warhammer army is?

Sisters of Battle is the 40k army that makes other 40k players say "damn, really?"

We are a dedicated lot down here in the Adepta subforum.

Good luck with your Sisters, and don't forget to show them off with a WIP thread!

msn-wink.gif Meltas work great on monstrous creatures and Tyranid Warriors (who may as well be Space Marines for all they resist them!)

Flamers are nice too though, I always take a mix.

Sisters are no more expensive than Death Korps or Elesians though. tongue.png

Welcome to the Sisterhood, Confessor Bob.

Well yea, once you start going FW then things balance out. I am working up the nerve to buy some sisters if I can't find a good ebay deal soon.

Skullbob, I am kind of like you and new to the sisters, this place is great for getting what you need, and people here are nice.

Oh, dear God! I just had a nerdgasm. Nice marauder! Too bad it's only approved for APOC...

Not many approve of my approach, but I find that not being able to assault out of a rhino means that the old 3rd edition rhino rush only works for sisters. 40 bolter bitches jumping out and popping preferred enemy at point-blank range brings much glory to th'Emprah.

Semi-Ex Ork player myself, and by Gork that new codex has the wiff of ward to it.. Welcome to the Sisterhood.

Sister's really lend themselves to aggressive play, be it Immolator scouting dominion's, Celestine alongside seraphim, Exorcist's raining death, etc.

Personally having used Gun line blob's in the past, now using small units in Immolators, I now scour ebay for rhino's etc..

Currently using small troop units in Immo's, Celestine + Seraphim, domi squads in Immo's, Exorcist's, and Inquisitorial allies so as to bolster the lack psychic stuff and.. Servo Skulls.

Very mobile and fun to use. 

Archived