Best equipment loadout for Strike Squads

That's exactly how you run them as darius said. They only have 1 attack each, so it isn't a good idea to send them into combat unless you're picking off the last few stragglers. So best to not upgrade their CC weapons.

And the justicar needs the halberd in case you do get into combat, as he could accept a challenge and strike first, plus he has more attacks.

But I have actually had more success with a hammer on the justicar in strike squads for /walkers/monstrous creatures/vehicles . Saved my skin more times that the halberd that's for sure.

But strike squads are more of a fire support team, not a close combat squad.

And unless they change the psylencer rules in the new codex, don't even bother with it lol.

Two psycannons and psybolt ammo

Maybe a halberd on the Justicar

+ Rhino maybe

or

1 psycannon no special ammo + Razorback w TL HB + Psyammo

Thats how I run them. Mobile, cheap, hard hitting. Build depends on enemy and mission as always (not suggesting list tayloring here).

I find its only worth combat squading fearless models like purifiers, to have a squad of 5 means every guy that dies requires a dice roll to see if they run away. Which is just so annoying, because it's not exactly hard to kill a rhino/razorback, so it will happen eventually.

I am currently running 1 of 8 with a psycannon, hammer, 2 halberds in a rhino and they are doing ok. I find the build depends on points and use, I use this squad to back up my one unit of terminators and am currently in a 1250pt part of a league going to 1750. In larger games you can not go wrong with 2 cannons or a close range incinerator squad.

I am currently running 1 of 8 with a psycannon, hammer, 2 halberds in a rhino and they are doing ok. I find the build depends on points and use, I use this squad to back up my one unit of terminators and am currently in a 1250pt part of a league going to 1750. In larger games you can not go wrong with 2 cannons or a close range incinerator squad.

At any point level, you should be taking the full 10 man unit and both psycannons. Anything less and you're wasting their potential. Incinerators and melee upgrades are terrible on Strikes because they don't fit with how the unit works; they teleport onto an objective and camp. 

At any point level, you should be taking the full 10 man unit and both psycannons. Anything less and you're wasting their potential. Incinerators and melee upgrades are terrible on Strikes because they don't fit with how the unit works; they teleport onto an objective and camp. 

It all depends on your comp, points and use, I find mine works fine for how I use them at this point.  Will they become 10 strong with 2 cannons, probably be at higher points.  I also play a lot of maelstrom games, and more mobility is the key so just deep striking and holding is not as helpful. As for incinerators and melee, I find that as long as I am not going into 2+ saves then there s 4 or 6 (love hammer hand) ap 3 attacks in cc is as useful as having multiple attacks in any other army if not more so. So why shy away from it? Just understand what you can send them into.

It all depends on your comp, points and use, I find mine works fine for how I use them at this point.  Will they become 10 strong with 2 cannons, probably be at higher points.  I also play a lot of maelstrom games, and more mobility is the key so just deep striking and holding is not as helpful. As for incinerators and melee, I find that as long as I am not going into 2+ saves then there s 4 or 6 (love hammer hand) ap 3 attacks in cc is as useful as having multiple attacks in any other army if not more so. So why shy away from it? Just understand what you can send them into.

Fair enough. Just saying though, two more manz and you get a second special. Its not that much more of an investment. 

If Maelstrom is your thing (I hate it, Tac Objectives are silly and way too randumb), Interceptors are far and away the better choice. They have unparalleled mobility (which also helps in getting the charge, as they're otherwise quite mediocre in melee, like Strikes are). The incinerator is solid gold on them, they can land it Turn 1 on a problem unit, and continue to BBQ the enemy's backline unless they're dealt with. 

In the league I am in my 1250 is and 8 man strike with rhino, an 8 man interceptor, 5 terminators, land raider crusader, librarian, and a dreadnaught with assault cannon, missile launcher (auto cannon is on order) and psybolt rounds. Various upgrades in the squads and one my doors and turret comes in the strikes will be in a razorback with twin plasma and a lascannon at 6 men.  current configuration is 3 point shy of the 1250 and my track record with 5 games is 3 wins, 2 losses.

As for maelstrom vs not, depends on your play and what you want; I find maelstrom more tactical and does not always play the same way.

2 psycannons and psybolt are borderline mandatory for strikes to really shine, past that any more than 2 melee upgrades, if any, starts to be a bit of a waste. Personally I like a justicar halberd and hidden hammer, but the hammer could easily be dropped for better use elsewhere in a list. Any more pricy and you should start heavily considering purifiers or interceptors unless you still need troops

Archived