Legiones IX and XIII History Question

Piano_Sam

Hello all,

I can't seem to find a lot on the IXth prior to their reunion with Sanguinius.  I gather that FW will flesh them out a bit sometime in the next...three years, but does anyone know of any information regarding their history?  Do we know of their original color scheme, or whether or not they had a designation other than Legio IX?  I've been thinking of doing a BA force of Terrans who kept to their roots, but I don't want to be so far off base when FW gives them their due.

Same thing with the XIII. Any back history? 

Thanks!

Apparantly the XIII legion took part in the first pitched battle of the great crusade, the 'First Pacification of Luna' (from Lexicanum).

That's all it has about their early years.

Thanks for the response! Yeah, I remember that. That's where the XVI received their Luna Wolves appellation.  The VII was there as well. I'm looking for more...crunchy history.  Something to really create a cohesive force without having to backtrack too much once FW releases their official history.

Yeah I guessed I wasn't helping too much... Sorry! I don't know much about the Ultramarines or Blood Angels pre Heresy. They'll get fleshed out a lot with the FW books about them, so it might be a case of waiting for that, but I'm sure there's other people who know more than me ;)

I honestly appreciate any feedback!  I had forgotten about that battle, but you helped remind me.  I doubt there's going to be a whole lot of information out there, yet.

All the Legions wore armor painted storm gray at their inception. 

Our Spiritual Liege, according to The Unremembered Empire, was either the eighth or ninth Primarch found. The Ultramarines themselves was the first Legion to exceed the 100,000 mark in the number of Legionaries. 

As stated by Relict, All legions were originally painted storm grey.

I believe they also just started out as being know as the Legions numerical and are 'unnamed' i.e. 'IX' & 'XIII' Legions

To my knowledge neither Legion so far has any other cognomina, but this will be due to neither Legion being covered by Forgeworld yet (the wait literally eats away at my soul)

Heres the Blood Angels and Ultramarines colours as shown on various Forgeworld posters (which to date, is technically the only information we have from Forgeworld):

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/TheRedThirst/BloodAngels_zps6ed0d34d.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/TheRedThirst/Ultramarines_zpsb7bd9259.jpg

By the way, and slightly off topic, how would you model the Tetrarchs? If I recall correctly, Eikos Lamiad of Know No Fear was gold armored and had a half mask. Right? Would it be accurate to model another similarly? Not with the mask, for sure, but in gold? I know this seems a departure from the original question, but the more I think about it, the more I want to do an UM army of straight Guillimanists (I mean not pre-primarch XIII), and something a touch more...diabolical for the BA. That isn't really the right word, but it kinda points me in the right direction.

something a touch more...diabolical for the BA. That isn't really the right word, but it kinda points me in the right direction.

I think you may mean their vampiric side?

I think at this point there have only been a few cases of the Angels loosing it with their bloodlust in the crusade, namely just individuals that a quietly taken out back and shot in secret ;) 

Im still of the belief that the Blood Angels dont really start heading down that path until after the death of Sanguinius, and the eventual degradation of their gene-seed in 40k.

The bloodlust is there but only in limited quantities, and far more tame that the World Eaters during the Great Crusade. I think the Angels are more driven by their martial pride, their honour and their Fathers proclivity for close combat than bloodlust at this point.

You can always to a Company in the Legion that is more blood thirsty than the rest, Amit's company always springs to mind as a 'darker' shade than the rest of the legion and id imagine there would be a lot more (ie future Flesh Eaters, Exsanguinators type chapters in 40k)

Guilliman was 8th found

And according to the Iron Warriors article, this was very, very early. Perturabo was 12th found, and the Crusade was barely like 40-50 years old. It notes how the Ultramarines had flourished dimply for spending so much time with their Primarch. 40 years in, and they had their Primarch for some time already.

Makes me think that they became the Ultramarines under Guilliman long before any Terran identity matured.

something a touch more...diabolical for the BA. That isn't really the right word, but it kinda points me in the right direction.

I think you may mean their vampiric side?

I think at this point there have only been a few cases of the Angels loosing it with their bloodlust in the crusade, namely just individuals that a quietly taken out back and shot in secret ;)

Im still of the belief that the Blood Angels dont really start heading down that path until after the death of Sanguinius, and the eventual degradation of their gene-seed in 40k.

The bloodlust is there but only in limited quantities, and far more tame that the World Eaters during the Great Crusade. I think the Angels are more driven by their martial pride, their honour and their Fathers proclivity for close combat than bloodlust at this point.

You can always to a Company in the Legion that is more blood thirsty than the rest, Amit's company always springs to mind as a 'darker' shade than the rest of the legion and id imagine there would be a lot more (ie future Flesh Eaters, Exsanguinators type chapters in 40k)

Almost! When I picked up IA: 2, the recently released addition, it showed a single photo of a fell glaive, or fellblade I can't remember which, in the colors of the Charnel Guard chapter. There were also two mentions of this chapter in that same book for campaigns undertaken relatively soon after the Heresy. My thought was, providing FW doesn't expand their fluff too much, I'd like to do a praetor who would become the future chapter master for this chapter. The limited fluff provided states they aren't an acknowledged successor of the BA, but they're very likely to be one. They are suspected to date from the 3rd Founding, due to their use of ancient tech. And they live in stasis between campaigns. Fleet based, of course. I was going to expand on this, and, in my own fluff, date their founding as the 2nd. They, in my fluff, were going to be of primarily Terran stock who weren't enraptured by the idea of their Primarch being mutated, thus being a discordant company within the Angels. I don't know. When FW fluffs out the BA's more fully, this might all be moot, so I'm slightly hesitant.

Archived