Battle Report for first campaign match

Spaniard

Hello fellow commanders,

The group i play with just started a campaign, we currently have 14 players participating in it. Most of us just played our first match this past Saturday. We are all starting with a 900 point army and can expand from there later on in the campaign. 

For my first battle i wanted to share with you guys how it went, it was a quick match. the battle was against Dark Angels which upset me a little since that is the other army i play. I just pretended they were the fallen and got over it quick. I know for fluff purposes the IG would not know they were fighting the fallen, but it helped my lay the smack down a little bit easier to get over.

For the campaign the GM told us that we had two options for out main warlord. We could either roll the dice every time for a warlord trait or we could pick one but we have to keep it the whole campaign. i picked Implacable Determination, i have my reasons.

There are also battle honors that we could give units in the army to make them better and the matches a bit more interesting.

To start off here were the two list:

My IG

CCS-  169 PTS

company commander (nothing special with him)

4X veterens with lasguns

Master of Ordnance

Chimera - heavy bolter, multi laser

Vet Sq 1 - 160 PTS

Vet SGT

7X Vets with lasguns

2X Vets with meltaguns

Grenadiers

Vet Sq 2 - 170 PTS

Vet SGT
7X Vets with lasguns
2X Vets with Plasmaguns

Grenadiers

Scions - 80 PTS Battle honors Dead Eye and Skirmishers (+1BS and Infiltrators)

tempestor

3X hot shot las guns

1X hot shot volley gun

lemon russ battle tank 1 - 160 PTS

lemon russ battle tank 2 - 160 PTS

Both battle tanks had battle honors that gave them power of the machine spirit

Total 899 PTS

For the Dark Angels

I don't remeber everything he had exaclty

Interrogator Chaplain with terminator armour - mace of redemption 

termination command sqaud - plasma cannon

2X Dreadnoughts both had multi-meltas with DCCW and storm bolter

2X combat squads both had Sgt with plasma pistol and plasma gun

We played purge the alien and dawn of war deployment, sorry no pictures i wasn't thinking about a battle report at the time but what happen during the match made me want to talk about it. just because i never had it happen to me before.

I won the roll off but i decided to let him deploy first. 

He deployed his two tac squads near the middle of his deployment zone. 

His two dreadnoughts on the left side of his deployments zone with his chaplain and the command squad behind it. (it threw me off a bit but i didnt put much thought into it while he put them on the field and didn't deep strike them)

For my deployment, I put the chimeras with the command squad and the vet squads on the left side of my zone and the two lemon russ to the right behind some building so on his first turn his multi melta dreadnoughts didn't pop them on his first turn.

He had a battle honor that forced one of my units in reserve and he pick one of the battle tanks.

The scion i got to infiltrate them so i put them behind a building in his deployment zone.

Game time.

I did not seize the initiative (oh well)

His first turn

Movement phase

So i learned the hard way i deployed my scions in a  poor spot since he moved both his tac squads backwards about one inch away from his deployment zone but with perfect line of sight of my scions.  

He moved both dreadnoughts up with the command squad right behind them.

Shooting phase

Both of his tac squads where just close of enough so that everyone got a shot, expect the SGTs of course. The two plasma shot hit there mark and wounded both. the rest of the bolt shots hit  but only 4 wounds were made. i save only 1 scion left

The scion failed the moral test and stared his way back toward my deployment zone.

He had nothing left to do.

My first turn

Movement phase

I moved up all the chimeras so that i can cover the retreating scion. the lemon russ came out from behind the building and targeted the tac squads

Shooting phase

The Chimera were not in range for anything but because i gave the command squad implacable determination, the master of ordnance took a shoot of the bunched up terminators and dreadnoughts. Unfortunately for my i scattered the shot way off the table.

the lemon russ targeted the first tac squad and i was able to cover both squads with the blast template. DIRECT HIT. Then I rolled to wound, all but one will die. the space marines attempted to go to ground, ALL FAILED.

I was done shooting, he failed the morale test for the last marine and since he was so close to the table edge he ran right off as well. So first blood went to the imperial guard and a extra point for each squad. 

3 to 0 at the end of the first turn imperial guard leading the way

Now i'm going to to something different. i'm skipping right to the end because the next turn was just me and the other player moving with now shooting and no assault happening.

Top of turn three

He looks at the battle field extends a hand and says that he cant win. i was a little confused because i never had another player concede so quickly. The match took about 20 minutes maybe less. That one shot from the lemon russ must of rocked the table more then i thought it did.

Let me know what you guys think, also this is my first time doing a battle report so let me know what i can do different for later.

Well done for your win, you must have done well to make your opponent concede in turn 3! Be mindful of deployment as it can make or break some games, especially with squishy Guard units. Regarding batreps the best thing is of course pictures as not only does it make them more exciting to read but also helps you remember how the battle panned out. Otherwise it's best to either take notes of what happened or ideally write up the report soon afterwards while it is fresh in memory (as nobody wants to have to note things when there's a battle to be fought!).

He probably figured, most likely correctly, that he'd never cross the field with your superior range and multiple battle tanks. He should have deep struck his terminators and had the rest hug cover. Maybe have the Dreadnoughts make a run for it.

Archived