Death company delivery method

Nova_chron

I have finally built a unit of death company my question to the forums how best to deliver my maniacs to battle first outing will be against Tau and an admitted power gamer to an extent. I believe he is playing farsight enclave.

hmm. I usually use jump packs use them to support assault squads. 

ie. Assault squad moves forward quickly and takes a bunch of casualties, death company right behind them, next turn death company move normally, then run, then charge to maxximise hammer of wrath. They will die. A lot. but my opponents usually use so much firepower trying to kill them, my puny tactical squads take all the objectives.

hmm. I usually use jump packs use them to support assault squads. 

ie. Assault squad moves forward quickly and takes a bunch of casualties, death company right behind them, next turn death company move normally, then run, then charge to maxximise hammer of wrath. They will die. A lot. but my opponents usually use so much firepower trying to kill them, my puny tactical squads take all the objectives.

this doesn't seem like the greatest plan to me 

it has been mentioned more than once that Jump Pack Death Company are too overpriced to be a good unit

ie- you spend so many points on them, you have alot less to use to make the rest of your army

also why wouldn't the opponent just shoot them instead of the assault squads, they have the same armour save (with FnP, which the aslt marines could also have) but the death company are way better in assault and the cover save they get from being behind the marines is 5+, your opponent should be targeting the death company

Next the death comany can't run and assault in the same turn

I think the best deployment types for death Company is Drop Pod or Landraider

Land raider is generally good vs tau.

1. Tau struggle with AV14.

2. It's one of the few ways to 'guarantee' a charge. Even if they blow it up you can assault the following turn.

3. It's huge! If you survive that means you can use the hull to LoS block and minimize overwatch, probably eliminating all supporting overwatch if you do it right. 

4. You can deep strike it if you've got your 'yolo'-undies on.

5. Poor leadership means tank shocks work much better than normal. Few units that can attempt a death or glory with a reasonable chance of success. 

0.o ... I am going to have to put YOLO undies on te bottom of my land raider... I have used deep strike a few times and the look on my opponents face has always been hilarious

I was thinking either my storm raven or my land raider so I think you guys have solidly set me in te raider camp as my DC are not jumpers

The raven is great and all, but it's a very risky deployment option for anything but Mephiston since he alone can shrug off an eventual crash.

I only use it to deploy a dread if the opponent has zero anti air, or to redeploy a unit late game.

Jump packs are definitely an expensive option, and Raven is too risky / too late game. Rhino is pointless.

Pod or Land Raider are the solid options. Which one, depends on what you want your DC to do.

LR will now, in 7th, give you a very tough troops choice in itself, max. protection, extra firepower and probably a turn 2 DC charge into the enemy.

Pod will obviously save you a lot of points, is still a troops choice, and gives a turn 1 alpha strike threat that can't be ignored lest they charge in turn 2. DC are best wielding bolters if podded, and nowadays consider a deathwind on the pod if you have the points as it can fire the turn it comes in.

So it may come down to whether you want all the DC to survive and get into a charge, or whether they are a bit more expendable and are drawing attention away from the rest of your army's plan.

I think Jump Packs are the worst, but never actually tried it. 35 points base cost is just so expensive!

Ive used Rhinos for several 7th games now. I always thought the Rhino was a bad idea (can't assault), but in practice its generally working fine. Usually defensive movement turn 1 then flatout 24" turn two.

At that point enemy will usually focus firepower on Rhino which is great. Just make sure you run em with 3 attacks each. Reclu/Chaplain is thrash in a rhino due to getting assaulted alot. Vs non grenade assault units you can often force them to assault through terrain (init 1) if they pop the rhino which is awesome. Alot of people dont realize this until they declare assault. And theres always the chanse it goes down in the assault phase letting you assault. 

The rhino is fairly cheap, so if it can soak some dmg for a round it's made its points back and then some. 

Land Raider might still be the best choice, or Raven if no interceptor/skyfire. But i do like the Rhino, since you really dont mind if they die early (non scoring). Hard to say cause our meta is alot of melta now (less plasma) You can't really go wrong with a Land Raider, Reclusiarch might be something to consider then, but i still think Libby is stronger in the long run. I like having the possibility of getting rerolls even if they get assaulted, the 4+ invul, rending debuff and toughness debuff are all awesome for DC in addition to Primaris. 

Drop Podding them has gotten alot worst imo. I seem to face more mobile lists now so more difficult to find a good drop and they really dont do much the turn they land.

Haha it will be seen as one I can promise you that and yes the locator beacons would work as long as your hull is within 6 for the deep strike you are golden so drop a pod and put your landraiders back on the six inch line

Archived