Wolf ally suggestions for Ultramarines

Ultradad74

So I picked up StormClaw and am thinking of adding the wolves as an ally/stand alone small points army (maybe 1000-1500).

Any suggestions what to add to the Stormclaw set? You name it for my Ultras, I have it except for centurions, just to give you an idea of what I have.

All feedback is, as always, appreciated.

Let's see... What do Wolves have that the boys in deep blue don't... Well, we have fast, powerful assault units in the form of Thunderwolf Cavalry. Long fangs may also have a few tricks your devastators don't know (but at this point we're still in the dark about what the Long Fang Ancient brings to the pack). Wolf guard terminators with power weapons (combi-weapons optional. For power mauls, use the thunderhammers with the wires cut off as warhammers) make an interesting alternative to honor guard as a meta-buster assault unit. In the troops slot... Hrm... I'm not sure what ultramarines really want from our troops.

Actually the formation is very good, basically whatever the wolf lord and his unit hits first, every one else is subsequently twin linked when firing at same unit. As in most cases, Wolves make good objective grabbers and are less likely to die to asssault units due to counterattack. I suggest using them as Rhino pushers and counter attack units.

I think that's what I'm looking for is an assault flavor objective holder who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and tear up Orks with glee. My first army was blood angels, who were off the table by turn 4 before I gave up on them after 5 games. Ultramarines have fared far better, but I'm still missing something after 2 years of play. I picked up guard and quickly gave them up when I realized I'll be painting platoons forever.

I like the wolves, their lore, and think they'll do well as an ally and a stand alone army.

Another question, and if the admins are cool with it, I'll just keep it to the thread I already started.

Are Fenrisian wolves worth investing in... Or stick to Thunderwolf Cavalry? Are the TWC a better investment than an assault squad? Would like to stay "fluffy".

Thanks again for the time.

Ultradad,

Have you read the Guide linked in my signature block, below?  If not, you might want to start there, and then come back into your thread to ask specific follow-up questions.  I think it might help you out.

I'll be updating it when the codex hits, but only one small section will be impacted by the new codex, the rest of the Guide is generic and applicable across all 40k armies.

V

Archived