BL First Edition

So it looks like there is a new type of limited edition coming out from Black Library: First Edition.

The initial release will be probably the most anticipated BL book since Horus Rising... The Talon of Horus

There's not much info in the email, and since I'm not very technologically inclined, I cant figure out to post the contents of the email here. But, there is this link: http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/comm-feed.html?mc_cid=c4ba2389a3&mc_eid=64bbde2fe8 

It looks like this will be available 2 weeks before the standard hardback, and will have a super snazzy cover, etc.

Included in the email is a quote from our own AD-B:

"It's terrifying and humbling to see the series kick off with the freaking glorious First Edition, but it's a weighty and classy tome fit for use in any Black Legion Apostle's sermon."

Anyways, I am intrigued, and I hope they are prepared this time. The last time a limited edition from AD-B went on sale, we crashed the website...

I guess it's going to be more expensive than the ordinary hardbacks as well? How many different versions of the same book are BL going to make?

As much as I'm disappointed in BL turning into massive money grabbers I'm more disappointed in myself knowing that I have to have this cry.gif

As a scarred and traumatized veteran of the original Limited Edition Aurelian release date fiasco, this makes me a little nervous. I think BL does decent special editions, but the stories and writing are not often worth the high quality presentation. However, ADB is worth it, and this is a book that will hopefully restore a bit of the Black Legion's and Abaddon's luster within the fiction. The small shot they showed of the FE book was rather impressive.

I do fervently hope they have enough copies to meet a reasonable demand, and that their website is reinforced this time around. In this case, the book will be available in a lower cost hardback, so only the nutters need apply.

Anyways, good choice to lead off yet another LE range. You can't spell Abaddon without ADB.

The same info from last nights email was posted on the BL blog today:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/new-at-bl/the-talon-of-horus-first-edition.html

Couldn't have picked a better book to launch these new editions. I'm definitely going to try and get this, but I'm usually at work when these pre-orders go live, so I will probably miss out if these are as limited as they seem. Unless I develop a sudden illness on the 22nd...

Not that I would ever even dream of selling this, but looking around the internet at the prices that some early out-of-print HH books are going for, imagine how much this will be worth in a few years laugh.png

That 'Talon Of Horus' standard edition cover looks SO GOOD. (And colourful!) That little snippet of the First Ed. cover, well... that looks a little boring in comparison.

I guess it depends on what these 'many special treatments' are. It'll be late August before we find out, probably... if the extras are mainly cosmetic ie 'it's numbered, it's limited edition, the pages have black trim, there's a different cover, you get it two weeks early' then I may not shell out the extra grip.

But if it's something crazy, like including the full 'Extinction' short story... or the stuff they do with HH limited editions (full colour foldouts with extra information about characters and events)... then maybe we're talkin'?

"the most impressive Black Library book we've ever produced"... I'm expecting this will be twice the cost of a normal BL hardback?

not that that will necessarily stop me. I've been eager for this release date for a while. (That makes me sound like I'm in prison, but still...)

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/talon-of-horus-first-edition.html

Well, there goes $65...

I wonder how may will be printed? Looks like it just says "a relative handful." Who knows what that actually means. Either way, I'm dying to get my hands on this.

And if any of our gracious mods think that it would be appropriate, and would like to move this to the News subforum, I would appreciate it happy.png

Edit: Well, it says 1,500 right in the top banner. That will teach me to skim articles before posting...

Wait a second...

Taking a look at the way the BL site is now set up on that page, it gives the impression that it will only be available in print form, not ebook...

I truly hope that is not the case, as many people prefer to credit card up, and in less than 10 seconds be knee deep in their new purchase.

Anyone able to confirm what the protocol is, because this is one of the "premier" waits over the last few years for many.

so expensive

going to read the first chapter right now

excited

tempted to buy

so expensive

Black Legion

expensive

Aaron Dembski-Bowde

expensive

wait few more month or even a year to get it at much lower price

exclusive content that will never again be printed

Do you hear the voices too?

The first chapter was pretty damn awesome. But then, 50€ is pretty damn expensive too. And I doubt I'll manage to grab one of those super limited First Edition.

So when is the actual non-First Edition hardback version supposed to be released ?

In the original email they said that the standard hardback will come out 2 weeks after the First Edition. That's really not bad at all. I really should wait those two weeks, I have a huge stack of books in my to-read pile, but I just can't pass this up. 

Interestingly, Talon of Horus (First edition) is supposed to be out 1pm BTS, which is over another hour from now, but I was already able to make an order. Though after signing in and placing the order, the product page once more shows "Remind me" instead of allowing to buy. But I can still see the order under 'My account' so I guess it still counts - wonder if I was the very first :D

Looks like an awesome book the first chapter was pretty good, but the first edition is too expensive especially since I would just read it within a day or two I'll just wait till normal edition comes out besides its the same story just with a fancy cover.

When I saw 1pm for some reason I thought that meant 1pm EST and when I went to go order, well, yeah. All gone. In my defense I am at work and under the gun with a massive project so I can be forgiven for not remember the time zone difference.

Archived