Clad in their newly daubed livery of near-black and deep gold, one thousand sons of Guilliman, Primarch of the Ultramarines stood in cold silence. The canvas of their armor was an endless plain in liking to the voids of space save for the spot of cobalt serving as dedication to their origins; the light reflected from the gilt rims of their pauldrons like hundreds of stars. On their shoulders, the recently chosen profile of a Terran bird of prey stood proudly, stark white, a daring hope in these times of darkness. Their discipline brooked no movement save the flutter of unfurled standards and parchments from oaths of moments, all one thousand members of the newly formed Chapter waited to be addressed by their newly appointed Chapter Master. Uniform in color they stood; every member resplendent in their various marks and recently repaired power armor.

The Great Scouring, as it was being called, had been in full swing now for nearly seven years. The loyalist Legions each driven by their own call for vengeance and the whims of their fathers pushed out to destroy the Legions of their erstwhile brothers. Upon driving many of the number of the Traitor Legions and their allies into the Warp, Roboute Guilliman called upon his fellow Primarch brothers to side with the tenets outlined in his greatest creation, the Codex Astartes. The call to divide the Legions so as to prevent any one individual from wielding so much power was met with a multitude of reactions varying from open support by The Khan to forthright refusal of Leman Russ.

In the typical fashion of the Ultramarines’ Primogenitor, the XIII Legion led by efficiently breaking apart into newly formed Chapters. New titles were spoken amongst the Astartes; Doom Eagles, Silver Skulls, and Iron Snakes to name a select few. Foreign on their tongues, it would take the newly fashioned Chapters time to become comfortable with their new designations, but the pride in fulfilling the will of the Imperium and their gene-father would ensure their dedication in their duties. There was no doubt the legacy passed down from their geneseed would continue to do their forefathers great honor.

The resounding footsteps of a single individual broke the silence, originating from the rear of the formation. Measured and resolute, the pace was exact, almost as though synched to the actions of a chrono. Bearing the same dark ebony and gold as the whole of the newly formed Chapter, his regal nature was obvious; the highly-detailed armor, painstakingly wrought by the hands of tech thralls of the Mechanicum, was a wonder unto itself. Thin streams of parchment, every space transcribed with the righteous words of an Oath of Moment, fluttered and snapped as he strode the central walkway. His helm stood as a testament to Macragge, it was decorated with a crest made from the hair of an equine beast of his home world and an enclosed faceguard. In the easy grasp of his left hand he held his symbol of office, an ornate axe of the most dangerous kind. Elegant in form, the master-crafted weapon radiated an aura of deadly capability and purpose. It was a weapon crafted in the days of the Great Crusade, wielded by vaunted Captains of the XIII Legion as they spread the Imperial Truth within and without the borders of charted space.

When the figure reached his destination, at the head of the entirety of the formation, he turned to face his Astartes. He removed his helmet, choosing to speak without the aid of his voice amplification system and share the word of their duty; a charge personally conveyed by Roboute Guilliman himself in the confines of his private chambers aboard the newly assigned fortress-monastery, the Noctis Obscurum. His marines in full battle regalia were just now standing on the deck of the assemblage bay, every amount the will of the Emperor in physical form. The skills of an orator were not at his disposal, but the fires of hatred and vindication would more than fuel the conviction in his pronouncement.

“By the order of our Lord-Father we shall strike out amongst the stars to bring vengeance to the traitorous ones and those who would align themselves against the Imperium. Their failure to destroy our legacy will prove their downfall, for as long as a scion of Guilliman breathes, our foes have much to fear. So let us take to the void and crash down upon the cowards as though we are the punishing waters of the Falls of Gallan’s Rock, declaring to them ‘The sons of the XIII are come, we are the Black Consuls and your life is deemed forfeit in the name of The Emperor and Guilliman!’”

His final declaration was met with the unified acknowledgment and cry of, “For the Emperor for Guilliman!”

Chapter Master Herod Archaelos felt the adrenal rush as the approval of his words rebounded. His appointment as Chapter Master of the Black Consuls came as a surprise to himself, and the announcement was met with both a feeling of pride and a sense of bitter disappointment. The chance to forge a path, to lead a force of the Imperium’s greatest warriors along the lines of his choosing was an indescribable honor; but to leave the ranks of the Legion, removed from the side of his gene-father, it was indeed a time for quiet reflection.

His mind raced through his memories, releasing the feeling of resentment. It had been incomprehensible when the reports first came in; the idea that the XVII Legion would raise arms and commit a murder of the most heinous kind had never been fathomed. But the dark intentions of the Word Bearers came to fruition on Calth, and the fighting continued beneath the surface. It was a war waged within the dark confines of prehistoric cave systems, a struggle to kill within the dark.

Had their resolve of the sons of Guilliman been anything less than what it was, there was no doubt the XIII would have folded in upon itself. But the endurance of their spirit had held, and the encounters in the dark were of the most savage kind. It was in that time that Herod knew hatred for his cousins, it was in that moment that those who were once distant family were now divorced from his lineage. It was always known that the two legions had a strained relationship, one that escalated to pure resentment from Lorgar’s sons after the events on Monarchia. That was the catalyst that drove the betrayal.

The wrath of the Ultramarines had always been a measured thing, nothing brash like the get of Russ, or the rage-infused response from Angron’s legion; but during The Scouring that had changed. Rage, barely held by the leash of their training was freed once contact with elements of the XVII Legion was made. A battle made personal, one that called for such unrestrained wrath, was being waged within the minds and bodies of all of his kin.

When the betrayal of Horus rang true, and the rumors were put to rest, Guilliman bade his sons to prosecute their undertakings quickly so as to aid the forces of the Imperium. But this would not come to pass, for the World Eaters and the Word Bearers were committed to razing the worlds of Ultramar. Only the delay on Angron’s home world of Nuceria would give the Ultramarines the opportunity they sought for revenge. Warp trails, interpreted by the surviving astropaths aboard the pitted and battle-scarred ships of Guilliman’s ad hoc fleet, led the forces to translate at the system’s edge. They had come to sate their thirst of vengeance on the XVII Legion.

A void war quickly ensued, along with a race to the surface. The ragtag forces of the Ultramarines were nearly unrecognizable; the polished cobalt blue so familiar had been blackened and scorched and the state of their arms were battered. No time for recovery had been made; the immediate pursuit of the traitors was all that mattered. Any repairs conducted were necessary for immediate engagement, nothing more. Now was not the time for patience, the time to act was now.

Chapter Master Herod Archaelos, the once Chapter Master of the 12th, had been there. He remembered the barely softened crash of his drop pod onto the surface of Nuceria, the squeal of the pod’s doors as the locks disengaged, and the bright lights of day as it saturated the interior. The first steps from the vessel steered his command squad right into the awaiting forces of the World Eaters. There was no hesitation, no attempt to ascertain loyalties or reconfirm what they already knew; these were their brothers no longer. They had fought hard, continuously driving towards any reports of Word Bearer forces, scything down ranks of the traitor forces in their push towards their prey.

He recalled looking down at his feet, the body of his latest victim laid there, blood spattered ivory armor split in twain by the singing of his axe. His sight carried over the corpse, following the lines of the axe haft, upwards along the fingers and forearm guards of his gauntlets; they were black. Soot, ash, and burn scars decorated his once proud armor; memories of the atrocity on Calth bore to the world around him. A glimmer of gold from the scraped edging of a laurel caught his eye, trapping his attention for mere milliseconds, hope beneath the accumulation of betrayal and death. He steeled himself for the next engagement, the righteousness of his Legion’s fury boiling to the surface, and he gave the call to rally for their next encounter. His command rang out above the din of battle, and his eyes shone with pride as the disciplined movement of the 12th Chapter’s command squad formed into a lance formation; and then they steered their efforts towards their next identified objective.

Their Lord-Father, Primarch Guilliman, had been gravely injured in a fierce battle against two of his once-brothers. Angron, in all his bitterness and unfettered rage, had proven to be the tipping point and drove back the efforts of the noble son. The Ultramarines pulled their forces in a desperate action to save their gene-father as the ascension to daemon-hood took over Angron. The changes in his traitor brothers had unarmed the XIII Legion’s Primarch, rattling him to the bone. The calls for support from Terra were to be heeded, and all remaining Loyalist forces were to make all speed to Terra, the once noble Horus had his eyes set upon the throne of the Imperium.

Warp travel, though infinitely faster than real-space travel, could be fickle. Translating into system shortly after the defeat of Horus and his Traitor Legions, the forces of the Ultramarines had arrived too late. They saw the corpses of ships and defense systems spiraling in the void. The bodies of the dead could be seen, combatants locked in each other’s grips as their bodies exposed from combat damage expired from void exposure. After initial status reports and recovery plans were hastily relayed, Guilliman’s reaction had been to dispatch his forces, in piecemeal, to provide much needed support across the Imperium’s domain. He had done so with his telltale efficiency and readiness as though practiced in numerous exercises. It was obvious now in retrospect, with the announcement of the implementation of his Codex Astartes, that this action was long in the making and had been a living work upon the breakout of the Horus Heresy.

The silence… That was what brought him back to the present, the sudden cease of a thousand Astartes voices. His eyes refocused and swept across his Chapter, arrayed before him in the colors of retribution and righteousness, and his two hearts pumped with the pride borne of his Astartes. The Black Consuls would set across the stars, astride the newly christened Noctis Obscurum, bringing the black hands of vengeance to their foes.

Black Consuls Chapter Master, Herod Archaelos

A native born son of Terra, Herod had been indoctrinated into the ranks of the Legion Astartes after passing many trials of initiation. His assignment to the XIII Legion, a feat accomplished by less than one percent of all aspirants, had been hard fought and difficult to say the least. Upon completion of all enhancements and training, he showed great promise during the actions of the Great Crusade. His actions brought to bear the attention of his Company Commander, who elevated him to the position of Squad Sergeant within a decade’s time. Under the guidance of their Primarch, the Ultramarines would prove themselves masters of compliance-actions, and the worlds under their watchful gaze flourished as the dictates of Roboute Guilliman proved efficient.

It was during this time that the ranks of the XIII Legion saw the influx of blood from the world of Macragge, the home world of their gene-father. The addition of those neophytes from Macragge was nearly seamless, the system in place garnered the best of all aspirants, and division within the ranks was nearly unheard of. A martial brotherhood formed between the members of different origins, and the spilling of blood together bonded the Astartes into an unbreakable force.

Herod continued his steady rise, and was eventually appointed as Company Commander after the untimely death of his superior during a battle pitting the gene-enhanced marines of the Imperium against the lethal forces of a xenos invasion. His elevation to Company Commander was unopposed; nearly two decades of warfare had shaped him into a tactical wonder, shaped by the teachings of their Primarch. He was soon chosen by the Chapter Commander to serve as an advisor in regards to tactical endeavors and was often nominated to the position of Battle Captain, overseeing engagements at the Chapter level.

During a compliance-action conducted in the Ultima Segmentum, on the world of Vandem Primar, the 12th Chapter would see the fall of their Chapter Master. His death pulsed throughout the Legion, a loss felt by all members of the XIII, especially those who were privileged to have fought and served beside him. The elevation of Herod to Chapter Master was personally supported by Guilliman with the words, “I would have no other tread the path carved into the Legion’s legacy by Chapter Master Antochelles.”

10291155_10154456536620249_6517373622063

wub.png

I have to admit, the Black Consuls seem like an awesome choice for a scouring army. Tell me; will they pair the practical/theoretical demeanour of the XIII with a darker point of view, more in line with their name?

Two other questions:

- Will you be using the Legion army list, or Codex: SM?

- Will you be using the FW Raptors doors, etc on vehicles? It's close enough to the chapter badge.

Some really fine questions there! I did have a few thoughts on my direction.

In regards to their livery, I was going to go with the entire Chapter, pre-Codex Astartes driven, be painted in the alternate paint scheme of charcoal black and burnished gold, as a head nod to honor the dead of the Calth Atrocity and to visually display the black hate in their heart for the XVII. They would still bear the XIII Legion's Symbol on their person, but would also have the personal heraldry of Herod(head profile of a Terran Raptor).

I could then use the HH list OR the C:SM list as it suits whatever meta I would be in.

What do you think?

Thanks a ton!  Going to come up with some ideas on how I want to compile this force!  Something balanced, and fitting that would work in 30k and 40k.

Glad you could enjoy it while awaiting your haircut! Glad you like!

@WoT I am curious as to what direction you are going totals with your force! Make sure to share!

I was thinking simply balanced force using everything that would make the army proficient in almost all phases. But I want to use breacher squads, why? Because to me, though expensive points wise, are pretty hardy when combined with an apothecary. And I can find dual use in ZM. I figure a whirlwind, Deimos pattern would be nice. Some termies, make bikes in my fast attack, and some AA of sorts(have not decided on how) and definitely some heavy support from maybe a Sicaran and a devastator squad/heavy weapon squad or two.

For my 40k force I'm going for a drop pod assault force as I read they like to open campaigns with huge drop pod landings. So pretty much everything is in a drop pod apart from a Stormraven which I figure would arrive as support. However that's just their opening move I'm certain they'd just be like any other chapter after they land the rest of their equipment, so anything goes in the end, I just wanted a force that liked to use drop pods.

Yah, I figure this would be at the very beginning of when the Second Founding was initiated, so finding their "identity" has yet to happen.  I figure they would start out as a well balanced force, able to rapidly deploy as needed and equipped to handle all comers.  

• 2 weeks later...
Some more for the Great Scouring era Black Consuls.

10348196_10154500777530249_5906650906991

1625455_10154500777825249_22609296356427

5th Company, Battle Company

Color/Insignia Dictate:  

-Chapter Colors are Charcoal black and Gold; black is to be the color of the majority, with gold used for the trim.  

-Ebony is the designated Company color for the Battle Company and shall be displayed on the right kneepad.  

-Squad assignment and specialty shall be displayed on the right shoulder pad and Chapter badge shall be shown on the left shoulder pad.  The specialty shall be daubed in white, with the squad assignment in black centered within the specialty symbol.  If a specific mark of power armor allows for only one shoulder pad to be available for display, then it shall be the Chapter badge shown prominently with the squad/specialty assignment shown in minor on the same pad.   

-Campaign badges, purity seals, oaths of moment, and other earned badges are authorized for display as long as they do not obscure Chapter badge, squad/specialty assignment, or designated Company markers.

Combat Doctrine:  As with all Battle Companies within the Black Consuls Chapter, the 5th Company employs a balanced battlefield approach.  Squad breakout includes 6 tactical, 2 assault, and 2 devastators.  The use of veterans from the 1st Company, scouts from the 10th Company and any other assets/resources are based on mission needs.  

The Black Consuls are strict followers of the Codex Astartes, and brook little deviation.  The grand work of Roboute Guilliman has led to the creation of one of, if not the, greatest works of tactical genius in existence.  Deviation is acceptable should situation dictate it so, although such cases are few and far between.  Their adherence is so great, that working directly with them can be difficult at most times, nearly impossible at others.  When side by side with fellow primogenitor chapters of the Ultramarines, the task is much more easily accomplished.

Chapter/Company Organization:

Chapter Master, Lord Commander Herod Archaelos - 

5th Company Commander, Agathon Praxiteles – served under the leadership of Herod during the final days of the Great Crusade and was selected to eventually assume the mantle of Company Commander while under the banner of the Ultramarines for a handful of decades.  The creation of the Black Consuls resulted in a choice given to him by now the Black Consuls Chapter Master, Herod Anchaelos, “continue to serve with the Ultramarines or follow me and serve as a banner man under my Command.”  The choice was made, and Agathon Praxiteles took command of the 5th Company of the Black Consuls.

Command Squad, “Black Hands of Calth” – made up of Veteran Sergeant Decius, Apothecary Numenous, Brother Markus (Company Standard Bearer), Honored Brother Theron (Company Champion), and Brother Zenon.  This highly decorated and long serving Command Squad has been the recipient of numerous honors including but not limited to; 14 Marksman’s Badges, 5 Imperial Laurels, 3 separate bestowments of the Axe Imperialus.  

Company Chaplain, Titus Aetius – Attached to the 5th Company since the creation of the Black Consuls, Chaplain Titus has ever been the stoke to the fire of the Chapter, ever driving the marines to greater feats of strength and courage as they fell the enemies of the Emperor.  In the aftermath of the battle, he walks the fields in search of fallen brethren, adding their names to the ever growing recordings of honorable deaths.  He lends his resolve to the Astartes in their times of spiritual need, providing them with vindication for their actions and purspose for their existence.

Contemptor Dreadnought, Honorable Timaeus Simus - 

Contemptor Dreadnought, Honorable Helios Ignatius - 

Tactical Squad Maximus, “Victors of Calth”- Every member of Squad Maximus is a survivor of the Calth Atrocity, each of them a master historian in regards to the events of that dark time.  They serve as shining examples for the rest of the Company in word and deed.  Too numerous are the actions this squad has participated in, and all Imperial honors have at one time been awarded to their number.  

Tactical Squad Renatus, “Vengeance Reborn”- The entirety of this squad are recent additions to the Chapter; the original ten members of the squad gave their lives while volunteering to serve as rearguard in a tactical withdrawal during the Uprising of Daemos which allowed the strategic redeployment of the rest of the Company to strike back at their enemy.  

Tactical Squad Lykos, “Wolves of Macragge” - Predators, every one of them, Squad Lykos is filled with members who possess the darkest of demeanors, always hunting for the chance to cross paths with the servants of the Dark Gods.  

Tactical Squad Tacitus, “The Stalwart” - Ever the example of unwavering courage, the members of Squad Tacitus has shown an ability to adapt to every situation.  Their greatest example was in an eradication-action where the entirety of the Chapter was deployed to the surface of Parus Prime to oppose the presence of greenskins that invaded the Imperial world.  The ten members successfully drove off, pursued, and decimated 192 of the invaders including their Warboss and bodyguard which led to the breaking of the xenos force.

Tactical Squad Euclid, “Glorious Ones”- The current bearers of the Chapter’s honor badge, the Axe Imperialus.  It was awarded by Chapter Master Herod for “an action of most righteous glory” against the Word Bearers in a boarding action that resulted in the death of a recognized commander of the traitor force at the hands of the Squad Sergeant.  This act of vengeance brought great honor to those who paid with their lives when the tainted sons of Lorgar committed their greatest act of treachery.

Tactical Squad Varius “Saviors of Argo”- The world of Argo was attacked from within by a form of Xenos able to blend in with the population.  A cult of sorts formed over time on the planet, especially prominent within the confines of the capital city.  When word of assassination attempts reached the Chapter’s ears, Chapter Master Herod deployed the 5th Company to provide support in combating the usurpers.  Squad Varius located and destroyed the nucleus of the Xenos cell, and destroyed its members to the last.  They were lauded as the “Saviors of Argo” by the ruling government and the Imperial officials.

Assault Squad Agrippa, “Ruin’s Wrath” – Described as the Chapter’s hate embodied, the Assault specialist crashes down upon the foes of the Chapter in a display of controlled chaos.  Each member wades into the fray bringing death and vengeance to the Imperium’s enemies, and with a single command from their Sergeant they break off to bring doom from above where the fighting is heaviest.  

Assault Squad Melas, “Ebon Blades” - Nearly the polar opposite of their Assault Squad counterparts, Squad Agrippa, the Ebon Blades conduct surgical attacks at the weakest links in the enemy’s lines. At the same time they shore up any holes in their own or their allies’ battle lines.  They were commended for their single decapitating stroke against a force of traitor marines of the World Eaters, ending the lives of the personal guard and Captain of a Company of the traitors.  The effect was immediate, utter disarray and a tactical advantage in an increasingly grim situation.

Devastator Squad Severus, “Bane of Traitors”- Having received many battlefield honors, this squad reaped a terrible vengeance upon their hated enemies, the Word Bearers, when the Chapter rapidly deployed to an Imperial world under attack by the Traitor legion.  Their perfectly executed uses of their heavy weapons lead to the defeat of a force superior in numbers many times over.

Devastator Squad Pyrrhos, “Fire Lancers” – Well known for judicious use of their long reaching weapons, the Fire Lancers are craftsmen of their trade.  Within the Company’s armory sits many a weapon of devastating effect and the members of the squad are experts in the utilization of them all.  Their single greatest conquest was the destruction of a pair of Warhound scout Titans during the short, but intense, Maxis Conflict.  The surgical application of their weapons brought low some of the greatest war machines ever created by the Dark Mechanicum.

Any pointers/ideas?  

• 3 weeks later...

An idea for cross 30k and 40k model use...

Well how about this? Use the breachers as such in 30k, but in 40k use them as veterans of especially long time periods(like the veterans from the Calth Atrocity for my Black Consuls) and use the Legion of the Damned rules? 3+ inv is equivalent to storm shields right? Plus I figure the use of their heresy era equipment combined with their slow and purposeful demeanor/traits would work well in interpreting them!

I already started getting the. It's together to try and accomplish this, I want them to have the shields plus equipment that crosses both realms; PFist, Combi-Grav, melta gun. I figure they would have minimal or amentstion save for the honors they have earned and that have been bestowed upon them. Also their armor marks would be mixed, a combination of various marks minus MKVIII.

Thoughts!?

Thanks for the thoughts. I just wanted to make sure that the idea wasn't something that would be badly received. I will press with that, showing them as the stalwart veterans of their parent legions and the atrocity that was Calth. Thinking a slight deviation, these guys will probably be the remnants of a Company impacted with heavy casualties from void warfare during actions in the outer orbits of Calth.

I figure they were absorbed and taken in by the future forces of the a Black Consuls, given a home but standing aloof due to their singular difference from the rest of the Chapter. Maybe use some individual heraldry, perhaps the membership is all Terran?

LOL, sorry I just thought it might be inappropriate, but I suppose tagging won't hurt msn-wink.gif Ya, I figure it made sense to have a pistol holster on the thigh guard as well, why not ya know?

I doubt tags are inappropriate since, from my understanding, the mods want people to use tags. As far as I'm concerned, I clicked on this thread thinking it would be a discussion about the Great Scouring, not a work in progress.

Holsters on legs are great for those who're sitting. I take it being a chapter master according to the Codex Astartes comes with lots of paperwork? Poor pencil pusher is stuck behind a desk for most of his time. tongue.png

I doubt tags are inappropriate since, from my understanding, the mods want people to use tags. As far as I'm concerned, I clicked on this thread thinking it would be a discussion about the Great Scouring, not a work in progress.

I thought this was a discussion on the Scouring too. As Knight of the Raven has said, the site will benefit greatly by the use of tags. The more members use the function, the more it will help everyone smile.png A little heads up regarding them; the classifiers "Chapter" and "Legion" will help even more, especially now that the B+C has the Age of Darkness forum. If a member wanted to search for example, posts and topics on the Raven Guard Legion, the search results will bring up hits on the Chapter as well. If the "Legion" and "Chapter" classifier is used, it will make searching a lot easier smile.png So, in your topics example, if you use the tags "Black Consuls Chapter" and "Ultramarines Legion", it will help in the long term smile.png

But to your topic specifically - great start so far! thumbsup.gif

Holsters on legs are great for those who're sitting. I take it being a chapter master according to the Codex Astartes comes with lots of paperwork? Poor pencil pusher is stuck behind a desk for most of his time. tongue.png

Ok, well I tagged it a bit, so there! And yes, stuff like drop-down holsters are in use by some personnel. This can turn into a Great Scouring share thread haha, a composition of WIP and info/fluff? I mean there is no real place to put it since it is a time period that exists at the end of the HH and the beginning of the next era.

Lets see some paint!!!

I will, once I can get out of my painting drought haha

I thought this was a discussion on the Scouring too. As Knight of the Raven has said, the site will benefit greatly by the use of tags. The more members use the function, the more it will help everyone smile.png A little heads up regarding them; the classifiers "Chapter" and "Legion" will help even more, especially now that the B+C has the Age of Darkness forum. If a member wanted to search for example, posts and topics on the Raven Guard Legion, the search results will bring up hits on the Chapter as well. If the "Legion" and "Chapter" classifier is used, it will make searching a lot easier smile.png So, in your topics example, if you use the tags "Black Consuls Chapter" and "Ultramarines Legion", it will help in the long term smile.png

But to your topic specifically - great start so far! thumbsup.gif

Thanks, also again, tags made. Contribute if you like!

• 2 weeks later...

The accolades heaped upon the shoulders of the Veteran Tactical Squad Maximus are recorded in the annals of the Chapter and they fill volumes of data-slates with their actions.  Since the Calth Atrocity, the members of Squad Maximus have always been first thru the breach, eager to come to grips with traitors and xenos alike; a means to vent their rage over the treason of their once brothers.  When faced with the scions of Lorgar, Primarch of the Word Bearers, their hatred knows no bounds, and slaughter is surely to occur.  Theirs is a bitter band of brothers, linked by that one common occurrence in their history; but from the ashes of their hate-filled rage springs glorious victories and boundless feats of heroism.  

Within the squad's possession is an extremely rare artifact of the Great Crusade era, a teleport transponder of archaic make, and no longer able to be replicated.  This unique device allows for near instant relocation onto the battlefield from their vessels, into the thick of battle.  Armed with the archeo-tech from a brighter time in history, they are well protected, just as if not more than those brethren honored to wear the daunting terminator dreadnought armor into battle.

They engage their enemies wrapped in the newly chosen colors of the Black Consuls Chapter, black and gold.  However, they maintain a piece of their past, choosing to honor their once-Legion, by daubing their right arm in the colors of the Ultramarines.  A dedication to the fallen of Calth and the Shadow Crusade fought against the Word Bearers and the World Eaters.  Although this dedication can be found on various brothers throughout the Chapter, this squad is the only one where the entirety of the members bear the distinct cobalt blue and Legion badge upon their pauldron.  Their shields are still decorated with their personal heraldry, again, another nod to a time long past but worth remembering.  Each member of Squad Maximus can recant the entirety of any battle fought during that bitter campaign, and does with the fire of a zealot in their eyes.  

10641079_10154632750105249_2563467732977

Archived