Thunderhawk Gunship

13 years I got started in 40k by buying the 3rd edition space marine codex. inside of the front cover was a picture of a massive ultramarines army. In the rear of the shot was a majestic thunderhawk gunship that was made by armourcast i believe.

IMG 20140731 142329193

When i asked in the store where i could buy this model i was told sadly that it didnt exist. 11 years later GW has released the storm raven and many other kits all with increased attention to detail and convertibility. With some inspiration from the web i set out on finally achieving my 13 year old dream.

thawk font

thawk face

thawk front Up

thawk rear

thawk laswings

thawk But

thawk aerial front

thawk aerial

thawk aerial profile

Granted this was no where near the undertaking Black Adder has been toiling on but i feel i have able to recreate that original thunderhawk in the old codex.

and it didnt cost 700$ to forgeworld

regarding the comments on size comparison.

Per the Forgeworld site "Thunderhawk Gunship measures 19 inches long and 17 incheswide." I think the gunship sits about 8 inches tall from the landing gear to the top of the gun turret, and I think the hull itself is 5 inches wide.

my conversion measures 11 inches long. 12 inches wide. 5 inches tall. hull width of 2.5 excluding thruster jets. id say its about 80% of the mass of the forgeworld model.

here is what i based my conversion off of. it gives you a rough idea of the assembly.

http://www.scarboroughgames.com/files/SCRATCH%20BUILT%20THUNDERHAWK%20GUNSHIP.pdf

i changed the tail fin. cannon assembly. rear engines. front wings. and used predator heavy bolter sponsons not land raider because of the ammo drum and more compact nature. each heavy bolter has its own servoskull targeter to represent the increased accuracy of the weapons. aka twinlinked

Archived