++ Gods of the Arena - A World Eaters Community ++

Flint13

@ Augustus b'Raass: Great to have you back, mate! Did you piss on the future foundations of the Imperial Palace after all?

Thanks mate! I did not take that piss - but I did take a dump at the start of the mountain's ridge at 5960 meters in the morning twilight and freezing cold. It was at 5:30 AM and since we had left Base Camp at 1AM, I hadn't had my normal morning ritual, so to speak. Best crap ever. :tu: I also shouted Blood for the Blood God on the summit. No-one heard though, as everyone was busy shouting their lungs out in victory. ;) 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/funny%20pics/10539182_10152270605085740_5150704348806547191_o_zpsc4f503a7.jpg

Augustas I'm jealous of you so I swear an oath to piss off of the Great Wall of china

And my brothers of the sands does this please you!!!

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps457831fd.jpg

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Taron_James_Beer/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb1b4f2c5.jpg

I wish I had the output of some of you guys. *sigh*

So, uh... here's a little more of my slogging progress on this guy. I give you... RIVETS!

http://i.imgur.com/0ILiR1F.png

Putty the wrist, figure out some kind of decoration for the bracers, and I think this guy'll be finished.

Looking awesome mate. Don't forget to do something with where the chainblade meets the haft. It looks a little 'glued-on'right now, but I'm sure with byour skills and a little work you'll have that fixed in no time :thumbsup:

I may have killed the handle while trying to get it to fit better with the hand, so...

Got a question for all; could you see a squad of current-pattern gun Terminators (4 SB, 1 AC) in World Eaters White and Blue? There's a bare minimum of overtly obvious Imperium markings, but given the weapon fit, I'm not sure.....

If the Alpha Legion, during the Heresy, had access to FIVE different patterns of Terminator armor, I don't see why the XIIth wouldn't have access to the three most common ones; Tartaros, Cataphractii and Indomitus.

Got a question for all; could you see a squad of current-pattern gun Terminators (4 SB, 1 AC) in World Eaters White and Blue? There's a bare minimum of overtly obvious Imperium markings, but given the weapon fit, I'm not sure.....

Of course. 

The Gorgon Terminators of the Iron Hands wore Indomitus Pattern TDA. 

You could easily justify their presence in your WE force by saying that the WE scavenged the dead on the fields of Isstvan V. The WE already has a reputation of forcibly locking Legionaries who were too far gone inside TDA (Red Butchers). The fact that the Gorgon Terminators' TDA required the users to be fused to their armor probably didn't faze them either. 

@ Paladin7221: Personally speaking, I think I'd replace the standard Terminator helmets with something more "World-Eater-ly", though -- for some reason, I just find it hard to imagine World Eaters in completely unchanged "modern day" Terminator armour (even though modern day in this setting is, of course, the very opposite of modern, but let's not get into that...).

@ Daemon2027: Here you go, mate:

http://eternalhunt.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/we_badge_daemon2027.png

Edited by KrautScientist

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, Brothers and Sisters on the Hot Dust!

I have a question for those of you who are more knowlegdeable than me about the Great Crusade/Horus Heresy era. It would be great if someone could help me out:

I am currently working on a series of small background sketches describing the rise of my Chaos Lord, Lorimar, during the Great Crusade/Heresy. Now without getting into too much detail, Lorimar is an officer in the World Eaters during the Crusade, then gets reprimanded and stripped of his rank due to refusing the order of an Imperial noble. Angron later reinstates him to his former rank, and Lorimar eventually wins captaincy over the 4th when he defeats the former commander in the fighting pits. So far, so easy, right?

I am still looking for a suitable rank for Lorimar at the start of this whole story: He's not yet a captain, obviously, but a Sergeant seems too low for what I have in mind (for storytelling purposes). So is there any Legion rank in between the ranks of Sergeant and Captain that might work? I realise that the whole rank business within our legion can be kind of iffy, with no two sources ever agreeing on one rank system (just consider the many, many meanings of the rank "Centurion", for instance), but I hope you'll still be able to help me out here. Thanks in advance! :)

@K-Sci :p I need to go throughthe rank structure in HH1 again, but all it refers to is that Angron kept the ranks simple and direct, with marks of brotherhood with scars and marks of brotherhood transcending rank, I saw an illustration of a world eater bearing the rank section leader. Would that be above Sargeant, but below Captain?

It's left pretty vague. FW says that Angron kept the Legion's Echelon (Chapter) formations, and BL likes to only ever call people Captains (minor quibble with the BL roster, the fact that Captain and Sergeant are the only ranks ever used is irritating).

So, in my mind that means Captains are those in charge of Echelons.

Which still leaves you with Battalions and Companies, which are led by Commanders and Centurions. Each Legion varied, but FW states that the War Hounds remained remarkably close to the Terran format and that Angron really only changed the structure to focus on assault infantry.

Which to me means that there were still batallions and companies, at least at first. But in my mind, the gradual shift towards uncontrollable ferocity and insanity, the incredible rates of attrition, and the persistent, general sentiment of just not caring about glories and accolades means that eventually, every Echelon was nothing more than a Captain in charge of an unorganized horde that is drastically reduced in size.

To offer you an idea of how to handle your lore, why not borrow from the Night Lord murder-duels? We have seen in Betrayer that the World Eaters can and will use their arena matches to teach lessons. Have your once and future officer get demoted to battle-brother. Have his replacement be inferior. Have him fail, once too often. Cost the lives of brothers. Have the Echelon be mocked, derided by others for its relative incompetence.

And have your fellow and his brothers teach him a lesson in the pits. One the failure doesn't walk away from.

Thanks, guys! That already helps a lot! :)

I've already noticed the discrepancy between the FW HH material and BL fluff, although I suppose that coule be explained away as the World Eaters' organisation becoming more and more streamlined the longer Angron was in charge. It makes sense, too: Just imagine two officers facing off against each other in the pits: The winner would win command of the other guy's squad/company/echelon as well, wouldn't he? In that way, it makes sense that the World Eaters would move more and more towards an organisation with growing companies/echelons and captains to control them. in Betrayer, Khârn himself speaks of his "oversizend eighth company" that seems to have adopted leftovers from several other companies that were no longer able to function on their own.

One thing, though: I've always seen Centurion as a "middle management rank" below the company captain, but in Betrayer, both ranks are sometimes used synonymously, for example for Khârn and Delvarus -- any thoughts on that?

Hey there, Brothers and Sisters on the Hot Dust!

I have a question for those of you who are more knowlegdeable than me about the Great Crusade/Horus Heresy era. It would be great if someone could help me out:

I am currently working on a series of small background sketches describing the rise of my Chaos Lord, Lorimar, during the Great Crusade/Heresy. Now without getting into too much detail, Lorimar is an officer in the World Eaters during the Crusade, then gets reprimanded and stripped of his rank due to refusing the order of an Imperial noble. Angron later reinstates him to his former rank, and Lorimar eventually wins captaincy over the 4th when he defeats the former commander in the fighting pits. So far, so easy, right?

I am still looking for a suitable rank for Lorimar at the start of this whole story: He's not yet a captain, obviously, but a Sergeant seems too low for what I have in mind (for storytelling purposes). So is there any Legion rank in between the ranks of Sergeant and Captain that might work? I realise that the whole rank business within our legion can be kind of iffy, with no two sources ever agreeing on one rank system (just consider the many, many meanings of the rank "Centurion", for instance), but I hope you'll still be able to help me out here. Thanks in advance! :smile.:

I have always considered the rank of Centurion as the "middle management" of the Legions.

Khârn had the rank of Centurion and was clearly stated being the Captain of the VIII Assault Company. His role in the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy is analogous to that of a first captain from one of the other Legions. The VIII Assault Company itself was clearly larger than a 100-man standard company - it was stated as being "oversized" from absorbing the remnants of other, disbanded companies. 

Delverus also had the rank of Centurion (but was clearly subordinate to Khârn). He commanded the Triarii, stated as "five hundred of Angron's best." 

Then the Forge World books state that the World Eaters more or less kept the standard Terran organizational chart, even though it was streamlined to suit Angron's purposes better. The World Eaters had chapter-equivalents in the echelons. Their armored formations were well-organized enough to earn praise from Ferrus Manus himself. Angron might had been the kind of logistical genius Guilliman was, but the World Eaters under his charge had great numbers (150,000 Legionaries at the start of the Horus Heresy), a formidable reserve of war materiel (the forge world of Sarum being exclusively bonded to them), and even a Titan Legion (Legio Audax). 

I would say that you should make Lorimar, prior to his demotion, a Secutor-Sergeant (a rank from Massacre). That, believe, is a senior sergeant in a given company, often leading the company's Terminator elite (the Legionary ranked as such in Massacre had Terminator armor).