++ Gods of the Arena - A World Eaters Community ++

Flint13

I'm also a Loyalist Through and through. No matter how much I try to muster up the courage / idea to starting a CSM force... I just...can't. Maybe its because I prefer the more minimalist look Loyalist power armor. Which would explain why I dislike the overly decorated Ultramarines/ Emperors Children and actually latched onto the Imperial Fists and perhaps even Pre-Heresy World Eaters is because they didn't use or care for so much Decorum.

Example being the current CSM kits; full of spikes, raised surfaces, daemon bits and faces, etc. 

While I can appreciate the quality of the miniatures, they just don't speak  to me.

Anyways :p

Modelling wise, I'll probably focus more on MK II and V rather than III and IV (since those are the marks I'm primarily using for my IF and want some difference). This would lend to the blurb about them having to maintain older wargear  (mk II) and potentially make/adapt their own variants (MK V). I do wish however that I could get smooth Sarum  pattern helms and not the studded once we currently have, given to my extreme reluctance to modify miniatures.

Assault squads, sure, numerous tacticals too, but devs and reserve/rear echelon elements would be lacking just as with any military unit. There are only so many toys to go round, and not everyone gets to play......

Needless to say, those gifted with nails were certainly in the active front, suffering a higher mortality rate as a result. Non-nails are likelier to have survived post-Heresy shirley ?

With my own fluff, my lot were exiled out on the fringes, with no clear communication/lacking resources, and probably made do with whoever was already implanted. Perhaps some conflict in opinion being exiled for an event that they hadn't participated in, and the use of nails that perhaps influenced the barbarity, far beyond that of a military operation. A maintaining martial prowess over genocidal maniacs angle.....typical I know.

Anyhoo, that pool of nail-equipped nutters was replenished with survivors from Terra, but as the tech was never truly understood, it's a resource that has gradually diminished over 10k, with perhaps dwindling returns - managing to secure recruits is one thing, possibly sacrificing them instantly with attempted implants and nail-psychosis is another, and I saw demonic possession/creep as another alternative - a slow descent towards becoming a Bloodletter/spawn.

And that's where I stand. Berserkers are a limited and valued resource (fully nailed or just plain crazy) for any group, but that pure WE forces must by necessity have someone at the helm talking sense. Those groups that have lost that command level plying their trade/in servitude to the other Traitors, and pride factors in heavily for the rest. Old fluff always talked about skulls and blood spilt in combat being worthier to Khorne than the massacre of say a civilian population, and the "Khorne cares not...." fluff was a later change iirc. Even looking at the Khârn/Skalathrax fluff, the vast majority were sensible enough to hole up when it was too chilly. :laugh.:

Late night ramble over. In summary: if they have their own ship, somebody must be sane enough to pilot it, and the nutters can stay chained in the cargo holds until required.

The age-old question of Warhammer in the 40K era: who exactly drives the World Eaters' vehicles? :tongue.:

I have a nagging suspicion that the last few "Nail-less" and "sane" World Eaters, at least the commanders, were purged either intentionally or unintentionally by their more insane brothers toward the end of the Horus Heresy.

@ Brother LongGong: Ahem,

YOU CANNOT DENY THE POWER OF THE MARK V

http://s2.postimg.org/f0samfmux/photo_3.jpg

:P

Edited by Relict

It's been written that Khârn still plans and fights alongside regular Berzerkers. I don't think the nails makes the frothing madmen completely lost, otherwise the World Eaters would destroy themselves and waste all of their resources getting somewhere.

The age-old question of Warhammer in the 40K era: who exactly drives the World Eaters' vehicles? :tongue.:

I always thought space marine vehicles were driven by slaved half servitors? 

I quote: "He even had a treasured bromance with Argel Tal, a Word Bearer's Captain, alas doomed the moment Erebus found out and killed him. Khârn responded in kind by challenging Erebus to a duel and beating him mercilessly. Lost records account to Khârn grabbing both of Erebus' fists and punching him repeatedly in the face with them for half an hour, chanting cries of "STOP HITTING YOURSELF" throughout the ordeal."

I may play the Traitor, but I hate that mustache-twirling bastard. :P

Or they might not be nailed themselves? And because of their necessity and the charge they bear are not forced to or questioned as to why not?

Edited by Slipstreams

They are look at kargos.

The main thing to remember is the nails in astrates remove emotion and enjoyment from the implanted, they drain the colour from the world and only release calming chemicals when blood or violence or violent thoughts are happening.

That's why WE go bat :cuss crazy because the only way they can feel is by slaughtering.

On angron it's intensified to the point where he can't rest slow down or dream unless he's fighting they are a cruel device utilised to ensure like red dwarf stars that the burn faster brighter and stronger but exhausts it's energy and burns out quicker which in angrons case is killing him

This guy:

http://s30.postimg.org/lcrux5jrl/chaos.gif

... Used to be an apothecary of the XII Legion (and one of the best pit fighters of the Legion, and one of the main secondary characters in Betrayer). 

The Nails, at least during the 30K era, affected different World Eaters differently. Khârn still had his calmer moments, Kargos was functional enough to perform his apothercarion duties, and a side character was referred to as "the Nails reduced him to a husk, murmuring to himself when not in battle." In battle, they were all ferocious, but outside of it they displayed different behaviors. 

I'm still juggling between World Eaters, War Hounds and Raven Guard for my next marines, but World Eaters were and remain my first love.

I have absolutely no fluff for them though, other than having the World Eaters be loyalists and calling the War Hounds group the Peaceslayers and the Raven Guard one Tyrant's Bane.

This guy:

http://s30.postimg.org/lcrux5jrl/chaos.gif

... Used to be an apothecary of the XII Legion (and one of the best pit fighters of the Legion, and one of the main secondary characters in Betrayer). 

The Nails, at least during the 30K era, affected different World Eaters differently. Khârn still had his calmer moments, Kargos was functional enough to perform his apothercarion duties, and a side character was referred to as "the Nails reduced him to a husk, murmuring to himself when not in battle." In battle, they were all ferocious, but outside of it they displayed different behaviors. 

I always thought that piece of artwork worked so well for the World Eaters. Also, he had the best equipment for an infantry model in 2nd - power fist for the anti-everything punch and a chainsword for the parry. :D

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

YOU CANNOT DENY THE POWER OF THE MARK V

Go Speedracer Go!

OH man the Nostalgia bomb hit me hard with that comment hahahahaa

Didn't know if I should ask this question in the PCA section, or the AoD section, but seeing as it directly affects the warriors of the XIIth the most I'll ask it here...

The phobos chain axes come modeled with a hand already gripping the haft. How easy is it to remove hands from the pre-existing Tactical/Despoiler/Assault arms? As far as I know, the only kits that comes with arms and hands separate are the various power weapons sets for each armour mark, correct? Inquiring minds looking to make true grit tactical Marines want to know...

Edit: Just so you have an idea of what I'm looking to do: my intended course of action was to use Mk III/IV despoiler arms and through the use of various bladed instruments, replace bolt pistol with bolter, and chainsword with axe. 

Or are there other, easier ways to model Marines with their bolt pistol, bolter, and favorite additional close combat weapon?

Edited by LongGone