Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

++Gods of the Arena; World Eaters' Glory Everlasting++

KrautScientist Relict Jaspcat Biohazard Flint13 World Eaters Awesome Incarnate

• Please log in to reply
1837 replies to this topic

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,118 posts
i

So i've got a Tourney coming next weekend using straight out the book rules, eternal war and i was thinking of running the following:

Khârn
Prince w/axe,wings
8 zerkers w/pfist,icon
8 zerkers w/pfist,icon
8 zerkers w/pfist,icon
10 cultists
land raider
rhino w/combiflamer
rhino w/combiflamer
Lord of skulls w/gatling,gorestorm

only 6 drops, lotsa killin... but the missions are simple

What do you all think? Blood for the blood god?!??!

It looks fun. But if it’s a hard core tournament I’d really try to get another rhino in there unless you are doing Renegades rules. I really like axes on at least one squad. The Landraider....it might actually work instead of a third Rhino. Mine never last but you have the lord of skulls which I love.... very fun unit. So perhaps your landraider gets ignored!?

The one minor tweak I’d try to make is an Exalted champ. I have found them so valuable with my Renegades and World Eaters.

oreaper84

oreaper84

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 254 posts

So after my practice game (which i lost by a razor thin margin....1 point!!! argh) I've come to realize a couple of things.

1. The lord of skulls is a beast...i mean beast! With deamonforge he deletes a unit a turn and creates a denial zone that is huge. Though i didn't shoot the gorestorm to much affect over the game, as my opponent was MSU, so i think Im going to swap it out for more range with an Ichor cannon.

2. I need some more obj holders/chaff.

After considering these points....the list ive turned in for this weekend is:

Khârn

Deamon Prince (wing,collar of borg,axe)

2 x 8 zerkers (4 axes,4 swords, icon, fist)

1 x 8 zerkers (7 chainswords, icon, fist)

landraider w/ havoc launcher

2 x rhino's dbbl combi bolters

2 x 10 cultists

lord of skulls (hades gat, ichor cannon)

7 drops and a lot of pain....should go first more often than not. Also hidden bonus, world eater only use like 6 stratagems and 0 psychic powers so its easy to keep track of, lol.

The greatest joy in life is to crush little toy soldiers, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their power gamers.

gallery_29004_9303_652.png Call_of_Chaos_Banner_03_Completion.jpggallery_29004_6198_60098.pngCall_of_Chaos_Badge_03.jpg

Juggernut

Juggernut

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,892 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Brass Stampede

Seems like a fun list.

Out of curiosity, what was the role of the Land Raider? I see that you have two Rhinos and two units of Berzerkers, so I assume the crazy boys used those. 

jd71B4p.jpgMFgjOT4.jpgjd71B4p.jpg

oreaper84

oreaper84

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 254 posts

Seems like a fun list.

Out of curiosity, what was the role of the Land Raider? I see that you have two Rhinos and two units of Berzerkers, so I assume the crazy boys used those. 

3 units of zerkers....and also Khârn rides in style more often than not

The greatest joy in life is to crush little toy soldiers, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their power gamers.

gallery_29004_9303_652.png Call_of_Chaos_Banner_03_Completion.jpggallery_29004_6198_60098.pngCall_of_Chaos_Badge_03.jpg

Juggernut

Juggernut

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,892 posts

Oh, I see it now. Missed that in my first reading of the list. Makes sense. :P

Sagentus

Sagentus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 854 posts

That looks like a bad ass list. If you find you need extra punch swap the LR out for a rhino and slot a havoc squad in?

Great to hear the LOS does so well, think i will get my self one of them some point soon :D 

OPTIMVSCHRISTVS

OPTIMVSCHRISTVS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 292 posts
  • Chapter Name: Angels Infernal

Per our ongoing discussion regarding listbuilding, I ran this list over the weekend against an AdMech gunline:

HQ:

Khârn

Dark Apostle

Troops

4 x 8 Berzerkers, 7 chainaxe/chainsword, powerfist on sergeant, icon

Heavy Support

2 Hellforged Vindicator Laser Destroyers

Fast Attack

1 x 5 Raptors - Combiplas, plas, plas

Dedicated Transport

2 Rhinos - Combibolters

Lord of War

Hellforged Spartan Assault Tank, quad las, heavy bolter, combibolter

Other guy's army was something like:

Cawl

5 of those heavy support robots with 3 heavy phosphor blasters each- they were benefiting from the double shooting strategem

3 of those crab tank looking things with neutron lasers

Bunch of infantry, mix of rad guns and a ton of those sniper rifles they can take.

Bunch of random tech priests.

5 of those chicken walker robots with taser lances.

(I have no idea what most of this stuff is called.)

We played the mission where you generate 1 CP for every objective you control at the end of your turn (3 objectives, 1 at the edge of each deployment zone and 1 at the board center). I went first. He gave up half way through my 3rd turn, if we'd finished that turn he'd have been tabled.

Big takeaways:

-Vindicator Laser Destroyers are pretty cool and the overcharged shots are utterly brutal when they're buffed by Khârn (he didn't get anywhere near the enemy the entire game). I proxied them for this game but will definitely be converting a couple to run in future games. They accounted for 2 of those crab tanks destroyed on turn 1 before he could fire a shot (the Spartan did help with one, admittedly), causing him to split some of his fire onto them and away from my Spartan and Rhinos- which of course resulted in turn 2 charges across the board. This was absolutely clutch and I think is what we need to think about when we're talking about ranged support- something nasty enough to both reduce the enemy's anti-tank firepower as well as draw at least some of what's left onto themselves and away from the transports. It's all about keeping those Rhinos alive for us.

Funnily enough, I'm finding in my last few games that the most effective use for Khârn is to babysit ranged stuff which in turn is camped on an objective or otherwise moving towards objectives. 

-VOTLW is undoubtedly our best strategem. I had one squad of Berzerkers backed by an Apostle annihilate both that 5 man gun robot squad (T7, 6 wounds, 3+ saves) and Cawl in 3 successive fight phases(Cawl was killed singlehandedly by the champion in the first fight phase- I was the one that got charged by him).

-Never underestimate the ability of Rhinos to keep something important tied up in combat that you would definitely take casualties fighting with Berzerkers. His taser guys, even buffed with a strategem and some other stuff, took 2 combats to kill the Rhinos, giving their cargo ample time to disembark and slaughter all of the infantry without any real danger to themselves.

-Never underestimate high volume overwatch. 90 shots at S6 AP-2 almost vaporized my first Berzerker squad that charged in against the gun robots- only the champion survived to make it in, and he ended up dying to morale anyway. I easily could have failed that charge after losing the icon and ended up taking all that overwatch on the next berzerkers to charge. 

Edited by OPTIMVSCHRISTVS, 06 November 2017 - 05:20 PM.

we_badge_optimvschrist.png

Juggernut

Juggernut

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,892 posts

How does the laser destroyer vindicator work this edition, is it still shoot 3 times if you don't move and overcharge them?

OPTIMVSCHRISTVS

OPTIMVSCHRISTVS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 292 posts

It shoots twice at flat 3 damage if you don't move, I didn't bother with it. Flat D6 is just too good for anti-tank imo. Being able to shoot twice could certainly be useful for hunting things like terminators and centurions, of course.

Juggernut

Juggernut

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,892 posts

Ah, gotcha. I dunno, I think I'd almost prefer predator annihilators, myself. 4 lascannon shots are pretty dang good, and have longer range unless they've changed that since 7th. Though it's been a while since I've even owned a predator, sort of a moot point. :P

OPTIMVSCHRISTVS

OPTIMVSCHRISTVS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 292 posts

Yeah, could go either way really. I like that it's 6 points cheaper and T8 over T7 (autocannons are now wounding on 5s, melta, missiles and overcharged plas on 4s), and the lower profile is a bit better for getting that 50% obscured threshold for cover. I think 4 las shots may be *slightly* better at killing on paper, but you also have that massive swinginess that comes with it with your damage (can't tell you the number of times I've rolled a 1 or a 2 on a lascannon). I guess at the end of the day you're sacrificing range, mobility (to some degree), and potential damage output for durability and reliability.

Both have their pluses and minuses but having tried this thing out, I think it's a perfectly viable alternative to the humble laspred.

• Juggernut likes this

Bloody Legionnaire

Bloody Legionnaire

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 242 posts

So, does it appear Berzerkers/World Eaters are getting neutered by power creep with the releases of subsequent codexes? It's looking like Nids are gonna be pretty nasty...

Lhorke The First

Lhorke The First

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 42 posts

So, does it appear Berzerkers/World Eaters are getting neutered by power creep with the releases of subsequent codexes? It's looking like Nids are gonna be pretty nasty...

That is exactly what I am afraid of. I'm afraid I haven't played enough games to answer your question, but I am willing to bet that we will be in dire straits as more codexes come out, at least until we finally get our own and Angry Ron

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: KrautScientist, Relict, Jaspcat, Biohazard, Flint13, World Eaters, Awesome Incarnate

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users