[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

Hey guys I hadnt seen one of these up for the IW, and was considering doing these guys next. I don't yet have Extermination to look at as we go, however have read the rules.

What do you think works well with these guys?

Do you think the Warsmith rule actually confers much advantage/worth taking over other fluffy characters eg Master Of the Signal for example when zoning in Artillery or a champion for those pesky duels.

Are these guys a bit of a one-trick pony with their Termie spam + artillery combo being the only UNIQUE thing about them (yes i understand you can build others without the rite of war, but I am more getting at are there a variety of different playstyles their special units equipment unlock or just one)

Perturabo is boss. I actually think he is one of my fav Primarchs as far as being fairly decent at buffing his army, has fantastic statline, great equipment, and can hold his own very well against other Primarchs. 

What do people think of the Havoks? best way to equip them?

forget the rites of war, forget warsmiths.

master of signal + iron havocs /w ML on a bastion with ammo dump

tyrant missle spam

melta bombs for everyone.

mechanicum battle brothers (castellax, thanatar)

typhon heavy siege tank

perturabo

target priority is the only tactic worth mentioning. 

Iron Warriors are my legion so I’ve been trying to make them work for a while. Bottom line - they are the upper end of ‘mediocre’ when it comes to rules. The biggest kick in their teeth is the silly ‘bitter end’ special rule. Unless they FAQ it to work the other way around (which makes much more sense IMO), it gives your opponent a big edge in how to win the game.

Warsmiths are not worth the points especially since you loose 2 vp. For this they cost more out of the box and you only get a few war gear options in return. Taking a named character like the Loyalist Warsmith is a much better option, since they cost less, get more bling, and you don’t loose an additional victory point if they get killed.

In terms of units Havocs are pretty great- missile launchers + bastion + fuel dump makes them into a 36” BS5 threat bubble with sky fire, -1 to jink saves, tank hunter, 5+ cover saves, and they won’t run away from enemy shooting. The terminators cost too many points, sadly, but you can probably make them work as a backfield objective camper.

To maximize their strengths and mitigate their weaknesses consider taking their ROW. 4 heavy support choices, extra armor on everything, and rapid firing before charges makes it a strong candidate for a mechanized list. 3 compulsory troop choices will make this hard to do in anything below 2000 points, however. You’ll also want to take advantage of having Cortex Controllers as an option on most ICs- ally in Admech whenever possible to run a few squads of Castellax. Again, bellow about 2000 points this is going to be hard to do :sad.:

agree:

-our special characters are some of the best around, especially the Lord of Iron himself (best primarch so far)

-Warsmiths suck

-Admech allies.

disagree:

-immune to Ld-tests from shooting/reroll pinning is godly.

-bitter end is supposed to be a disadvantage, but it actually just prolongs the game for both players equally.

-havocs ML is 48" and they get 4+ cover on the battlements

-tyrant siege terminators cost as much as 2 ML havocs but get 2 shots, powerfists, 2+/4++, split-fire and night vision. Battlefield role differs from havocs (esp. as troops)

-the Hammer of Olympia RoW is useless, benefits are marginal. Rapid fire before assault makes you loose one attack to gain one shot and may actually cost you the assault itself when the closest enemy models are killed. Extra Armor doesn't matter exept on rhinos and those aren't assault vehicles. Extra HS slots are gained from multiple detachments/allies.

-the only advantage of a cortex controller on marines is the ability to repair robots.

The RoW actually allow for allies, so two additional heavy slots. They just can't be marines. So easily 4 iron warrior and a mechanicus heavy slot. But that is also the only benefit the RoW has going on, and i would take the 3.5 chaos rules over it any day in the week.

agree:

-bitter end is supposed to be a disadvantage, but it actually just prolongs the game for both players equally.

-havocs ML is 48" and they get 4+ cover on the battlements

-tyrant siege terminators cost as much as 2 ML havocs but get 2 shots, powerfists, 2+/4++, split-fire and night vision. Battlefield role differs from havocs (esp. as troops)

-the Hammer of Olympia RoW is useless, benefits are marginal. Rapid fire before assault makes you loose one attack to gain one shot and may actually cost you the assault itself when the closest enemy models are killed. Extra Armor doesn't matter exept on rhinos and those aren't assault vehicles. Extra HS slots are gained from multiple detachments/allies.

-the only advantage of a cortex controller on marines is the ability to repair robots.

Bitter end lets your opponent choose if the game ends on turn 5 or 6 (if you roll off and have the option to end of turn 5, anyway). This isn’t as bad as the AL -1 VP for having less kill points, but still puts you at your opponents discretion.

I disagree about the ROW being useless. I don’t think its fantastic, but if you are taking 3 troops choices its practically free and gives you some marginal benefits. The real question is if you should take a named character warsmith to begin with, which means most people won’t use it.

Unless this has been FAQed cortex controllers remove a robots’ Programmed Behavior rule, even while on marines, so it has uses in a robot heavy list.

Otherwise I’m with you 100%.

programmed behaviour is actually better when left alone - your castellax may fire all 3 weapons that way ;)

Hammer of Olympia would be okaish if not for the recommended troops choice and the useless HQ, both of which are ineffective points sinks. The cost marginalizes the benefits, even with Golg's Terminator Troops or cheap CC tacs in rhinos.

How are you running your troops, Nehekhare? x10 man tactical is the cheapest option, but they are stuck walking.

I'm taking a x20 man blob with chaplain, apothecary, and astropath. x10 man squad in a rhino, and the rest from Admech. That's easily half my army. Troops are so damn expensive.

Hi guys, I'm going to be starting my IW's soon and I was wondering if anybody would be able to provide any advice on using the armoured spearhead ROW? Is it worth it? Is there any synergy between this ROW and the IW's apart from fluff? Always liked the idea of a mounted army, but I want it to be effective on the table as well as being fluffy and cool to look at haha any advice would be great, cheers.

How are you running your troops, Nehekhare?

15-20 with Vexilla, CCWs, PF/AA/Cflamer Sarge and apothecary (AA, PW), usually put my archmagos in it (Ld10 stubborn prefE). The other option would be 10 without bolters with the same Sarge in a rhino with HF, but they pay the HH MSU tax, can't assault and rhinos are first blood on tracks.

But I run Admech Main/IW allies with way more Castellax/Adsecularis than Tacs as Troops (works).

Hi guys, I'm going to be starting my IW's soon and I was wondering if anybody would be able to provide any advice on using the armoured spearhead ROW? Is it worth it? Is there any synergy between this ROW and the IW's apart from fluff? Always liked the idea of a mounted army, but I want it to be effective on the table as well as being fluffy and cool to look at haha any advice would be great, cheers.

The Spearhead RoW bascially consists of restrictions and disadvantages only, I can't see why anybody would use it. Just put all your guys in tanks and you're actually better off without it (in such an army, hammer of olympia would actually save points!). Tank shocks don't matter, fortifications and VP do.

Edited by Nehekhare

The Spearhead RoW bascially consists of restrictions and disadvantages only, I can't see why anybody would use it. Just put all your guys in tanks and you're actually better off without it (in such an army, hammer of olympia would actually save points!). Tank shocks don't matter, fortifications and VP do.

Fair, I'm not a fan of the Hammer of Olympia, might try and create a vanilla list so I can leave the Praetor/Warsmith behind and save some points, thanks for the response.

• 5 weeks later...
Did you hear Perturabo is likely next? Together with siege terminators and Golg. But the true gold is the mention of a special rhino in regards to iron warriors. Maybe a armour 12 fron/side carrier for 50 pt (like ork trukk vs forgeworld trakk). I could see it quite nice to protect troop choices.

Just when i finally got me some cataphractii and cyclones...DAMMIT!

heard the rhino-rumour, yet I take it with salt. if there is a mention of it in any fluff, it escapes me. the next book wasn't supposed to contain any IW stuff, so it would be a model without rules and that sounds very wierd to me...

Angel Exterminatus. The IW had rhinos that linked together to form a fortification. Castellan Rhinos?

that's it!

Each of the IV Legion’s Rhinos was a specially converted Castellan variant, a design of Perturabo’s, with unfolding armour plates and impact bracing that turned them into miniature bunkers. The modular construction allowed the Rhinos to be linked together in a chain, forming a makeshift fortified line when materials for more permanent emplacements were unavailable or a defence had to be fashioned quickly.

interesting...

• 2 months later...

So as per the new FAQ, Masters of Signal can't be compulsory HQ choices anymore...

what now?

thought about mechanicum allies, but those ordinator magi still can't figure how to use a frakkin' cogis-signum.

Sure as hell don't want to bring free-VP-warsmiths.

Vhalen? basically a warsmith with ammo dump and defensive grenades for double the points. Alright I guess, but those 3++ Sally/IF/IH Praetors will just kick his ass in CC for double bonus points. 

siege master is redundant with havocs, moritats got nerfed, the rest sucks. a cheap chaplin perhaps?

I-is there perhaps a way to not bring HQ at all?

I play Iron Hand rules instead of IWs, even though I have an IW army. I use a chaplain, but IWs don't really need one. Its uphill for us, thats for sure :sad.:

It all depends on what you want your HQ to do. Warsmiths are generally not worth it. Vhalen is the better of our special characters though, but bringing him basically requires a fortifcation + back field shooting unit to man it. I'd look into making an admech ally list. Its one of the few strengths of our legion- cortex controllers and battle smiths that can repair castellax. Ally in a archmagos and bring your own forgelord/Vhalen, a bastion, iron havocs, and 4-6 castellax.

Edited by Bulbafist

that's actually my list from scratch :biggrin.:

only that i had IW allies and Mechanicum CAD with a Malagra melee Archmagus in my squad of Legionnaires.

For a Warsmith/Vhalen, I'd need a primary detachment of IW, which doubles my tacs and reduces castellax/adsecularis to 2 total if I were to use the AoD FOC

edit: also just realized that as per RAW, Vhalen doesn't even get his own unique warlord trait but "shatter defense" instead because of his warsmith rule lol.

with that, I lose bombardment and pay double the points for my HQ. I could reduce the Archmagos to an Ordinator and switch positions, but he can't take a cogis-signum. I save the points on the ammo dump for my bastion, though lol.

Basically, my list is gone.

Edited by Nehekhare

Yeah, belts are getting tighter. Legions don't have great troop options (for the cost) and at 1500-2000 points (the level I play) you only have a few options when it comes to a cheap and effective HQ.

If only wrecker was a good rule. Then maybe a jump pack consul/praetor would make sense.

e: Comedy option. Bring a nasty melee consul/praetor, put them into a dreadclaw/drop pod and give them the cloaking relic. Drop that bad boy turn 1 into the heart of your enemy and turn on the cloak. Then, on turn 2, carve through their army. Meanwhile the rest of your dudes move forwards and shoot stuff.