[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

I know this is a tactica thread, but can you guys also give advice on how to beat a list? I am facing this iron warriors/mechanicum list and having a real issue beating it....

Iron Warriors Ironfire Rite of War

HQ
Siege Breaker with power weapon 

Elites
3x Phosphex launchers 

Troops
Tactical squad 
Tactical squad 

Heavy Support
Achilles Alpha with splinter shells, phosphex and incendiary shells 
Whirlwind Scorpius 
2x Basilisks 

Lords of War
Perturabo with forgebreaker

Allied Dark Mechanicum
HQ
Anacharis Scoria

Troops
Thallax Cohort with Photon Thruster 

Heavy Support
Myrmidon Destructors with Graviton Imploders 

Grav Flux Levi in a pod, drop it by his rapiers and nuke the squad; the gun carriages not having an S Value to test against the Bombard means it autofails and takes a wound. It being Ap2 and Ignores cover means that the S4 crewmen are unlikely to survive the 2D6 Strength test.

Possibly another Leviathan with Melta Lance. Drop it by the Basilisks and unless you roll hilariously bad, you should be able to nuke them dead. ESPECIALLy if they dont have armoured ceramite. Then aim it at the Scorpius.

The Achilles is hard to kill but is a giant points sink you can probably ignore it up to a point.

Just avoid Perturabo and Scoria with their 6" Movement. They have decent shooting but unless you have Fearless/Rending disposable Levy blobs to tarpit them to hell with, don't bother being in CC with them if you can avoid it; thats at least 800 points of his list tied up in two models anyways. You could always try to out punch them in CC but they're both pretty hard to put down.

If you have Medusas of your own, just point them at the Thallax/Myrmidons/Tac marines and watch the S10 Ap2 Blast just nuke them to hell by doubling out their T4 and T5s. Or, just charge them with Dreadnoughts. S10 AP2 in CC mulches them. If Scoria is with the Myrmidons, just avoid them and their 18" Shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

Robots! Who knew? 

I vaguely knew the Iron Warriors could field robots, but assumed they were only as allies. Imagine my surprise when I idly looked up the cortex controller rules. After being a bit befuddled, I looked at the back of the Legiones Astartes book and found out I can take Thallax and Castellax.

This is great for me – a unit of nine Thallax fits in my army nicely (as long as I take the Hammer of Olympia rite of war) – so I wondered if anyone could offer some thoughts on tactics or ideas for using them alongside my Iron Warriors. My list is primarily infantry – 30 tacticals supported by 5 volkite chargers and 5 multimeltas – with a Predator squadron, Leviathan and a Proteus making up the rest of my heavy support.

I've never used Thallax, but love the models, so having the opportunity to use them is great.

On a vaguely related note, I'd love to use Domitar in my army. Is there a similar subtle rule I've missed that would allow me to take them? Since I'm using Hammer of Olympia, I can't simply go with Brethren of Iron.

Robots! Who knew? 

I vaguely knew the Iron Warriors could field robots, but assumed they were only as allies. Imagine my surprise when I idly looked up the cortex controller rules. After being a bit befuddled, I looked at the back of the Legiones Astartes book and found out I can take Thallax and Castellax.

This is great for me – a unit of nine Thallax fits in my army nicely (as long as I take the Hammer of Olympia rite of war) – so I wondered if anyone could offer some thoughts on tactics or ideas for using them alongside my Iron Warriors. My list is primarily infantry – 30 tacticals supported by 5 volkite chargers and 5 multimeltas – with a Predator squadron, Leviathan and a Proteus making up the rest of my heavy support.

I've never used Thallax, but love the models, so having the opportunity to use them is great.

On a vaguely related note, I'd love to use Domitar in my army. Is there a similar subtle rule I've missed that would allow me to take them? Since I'm using Hammer of Olympia, I can't simply go with Brethren of Iron.

Thallax are in a weird position I would say.  EXTREMELY durable yet lack the firepower to take out enemies in a respectable manner.  Their stubborn will keep them in the fight longer than they are supposed to as well.  The way I see them?  Back field objective holders with photon thrusters.  Ah...but in a Legion list they aren't troops unless you have the correct Consul right?  In any case , their bubble that denies infiltrate will be a great boon at the start and a photon thruster means that they can do at least some damage to far away units.  If they do get attacked, it will just be an absolute pain for an enemy to chip away at that many wounds plus their 6+ FNP.  

In summary, they don't have much firepower but are ridiculously durable.  Put them in a position where they can block enemy flanking maneuvers or run them up the field and scare the enemy with your AP3/2 upgraded weapon.  A turn shooting at Thallax meant that the rest of your army isn't being shot.  If you lose them, all it means is you lost a tad bit of firepower.  And when I say a tad, I do mean it.  Thallax aren't going to be killing that much in general with their short range lightning guns and a photon thruster can only maaaybe kill 1-2 models a turn.  On the other hand if they do charge, they have a respectable amount of attacks that can pose a bit of harm to legionnaires.  Anyhow, that summary turned into something longer than the original point I was trying to make....still!  Point being amongst many points: Thallax are cool, don't expect them to do much, but they are still a welcome addition to an IW army. 

Thanks for the insight, Guardbuddy – much appreciated. 

Ah...but in a Legion list they aren't troops unless you have the correct Consul right?  

... good question. I wasn't aware there was an option to take them as troops at all; am I missing something? Still very vague on the intricacies of the lists – I'm much more used to taking the bog-standard options :D

Thanks for the insight, Guardbuddy – much appreciated. 

Ah...but in a Legion list they aren't troops unless you have the correct Consul right?  

... good question. I wasn't aware there was an option to take them as troops at all; am I missing something? Still very vague on the intricacies of the lists – I'm much more used to taking the bog-standard options :biggrin.:

Relooking at it, I guess not :huh.:  Could have sworn there was an option to do that.  I think I may have been mistaking it for the Brethren of Iron RoW where you can take Castellax as a troops choice.  My only worry is that they are taking a heavy support slot in an army that relies on them heavily already.  But if you are running them with Hammer of Olympia I could see a maxed out squad of Thallax doing pretty well.  Perhaps slap on some melta bombs plus Ferrox and you got yourself a pretty nasty distraction unit with maaaany many wounds walking up the field.  Tanks, infantry, whatever will be pretty wary of that many rending attacks (disbarring insta-death weapons, be careful of them always!).  They could even have a shot at taking out terminators with their overwhelming rending attacks.  Its almost like they are a pseudo Gal Vorbak in that sense!  Granted only I2, but you still hit before power fists.  

• 1 month later...

Brothers of Iron.

I need your assistance!

Having a psyker in Artificer Armour at hand I wonder which why I get the maximum out of him if a let him generate his powers from the Telekinesis list.

Any ideas in which unit he should go?

PS: I've already tried Devination and Telepathy and both died in a horrible fashion while manifesting their powers.

I took that as a hint, that I shouldn't take those lists. ;)

Nah, the rest of us just fled back to the Eye of Terror.  Things aren't going so well since 8th dropped.  :wink:

-- But in seriousness, proper use of Levitation is going to be your bread and butter.  Traditionally when you think Iron Warriors...they aren't too flexible.  With Telekinesis you can reposition your quad mortars if the enemy gets a little danger close or make the Tyrant Siege Terminators do some shenanigans and hit the side armor of vehicles.  I am relatively unimaginative but look for opportunities to arise since you can potentially imagine any unit you have as jump.  

But say you don't get Levitation.  Just use your primaris power and slow fast moving armies like Raven Guard down.  Buy yourself some time.  The rest of the powers...I can't really say.  They just don't offer enough in my opinion.  

Nah, the rest of us just fled back to the Eye of Terror. Things aren't going so well since 8th dropped. :wink:

-- But in seriousness, proper use of Levitation is going to be your bread and butter. Traditionally when you think Iron Warriors...they aren't too flexible. With Telekinesis you can reposition your quad mortars if the enemy gets a little danger close or make the Tyrant Siege Terminators do some shenanigans and hit the side armor of vehicles. I am relatively unimaginative but look for opportunities to arise since you can potentially imagine any unit you have as jump.

But say you don't get Levitation. Just use your primaris power and slow fast moving armies like Raven Guard down. Buy yourself some time. The rest of the powers...I can't really say. They just don't offer enough in my opinion.

Exactly my thoughts.

It doesn't seem to have a strong theme on that list. That makes it tricky to play if you don't get Levitate. Hm.

Difficult.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Perturabo is looking good. :yes: Now he just needs some paint!

Still no paint.

But there will be soon after I've finished my ZM list I am tinkering on at the moment.

Speaking of which....

I fell in love of the idea playing a Golg themed Zone Mortalis Assault Strike Force.

That's how far I've come:

New Roster (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy) [1499pts]

Zone Mortalis - Combatant (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List)

Elite

2 X Legion Dreadnought Extra Armour, Multi Melta

Dreadnought CCW Meltagun

Erasmus Golg

Primus Medicae AA,MB Power Weapon, Refractor Field

Troops

Cataphractii Terminator Squad

Sergeant Chainfist, Combi-Bolter

4 x Combi-Weapon, Power Fist

1 x Plasma Blaster, Power Fist

4 x Combi-Weapon Power Weapon

1 x Chainfist, Combi-Weapon

Elites

Tartaros Terminator Armour

Legion Terminator Sergeant

Chainfist, Combi-Bolter

3 x Combi-Bolter, Power Fist

1 x Combi-Bolter, Heavy Flamer

Elites

Tartaros Terminator Armour

Legion Terminator Sergeant

Chainfist, Volkite Charger

3 x Combi-Weapon, Power Fist

1 x Plasma Blaster, Power Fist

Whatdoyathink?

Why the Tartaros over more Cataphractii? The speed? If they're going to be doing a lot of running then there's no point equipping them with ranged weapons beyond the combi-bolters. With the points saved you could a Contemptor-Cortus Talon instead of the Legion Dreadnought Talon.

Why the Tartaros over more Cataphractii? The speed? If they're going to be doing a lot of running then there's no point equipping them with ranged weapons beyond the combi-bolters. With the points saved you could a Contemptor-Cortus Talon instead of the Legion Dreadnought Talon.

Thing is:

We've got 7 units, so 4 will start the game on table.

That'll be Golg, Primus Medicae, huge Cataplasma blob +1 Dreadnought.

Both Tartaros units and the second Dreadnought will have to start in reserve most of the time because of the ZM mission rules.

One unit of Tartaros can Deep Strike because of the ROW.

Yes, Cataphractii would be better suited for that task but, well, I only have ten.

And they're painted so that is that.

Second Tartaros gonna come as regular reserves and will have to run a lot, but as you can see they only have a Heavy Flamer and fists. No other options than that BECAUSE I do know that they won't shoot a lot.

Edited by Gorgoff

• 4 months later...

Hello!

So I’m a recent convert to Horus Heresy after getting back into the game post 8th. If any of you have browsed the Legion for you thread, you’ll know exactly why I’m here (loyalist iron warriors)

It helps I really love the fluff of the Bitter Sons and that Kyr plays into the style of gameplay I know and love from 40k Greenwing, minus the copious amounts of plasma.

So I’ll be starting with a B@C boxset with a mind of converting the Catas to siege tyrants and fixing up some havocs and looking for some advice where to go, maybe some potential lists to work towards with the box set contents as a base. A nice 1500 pts gunline to progress towards, with a view of plastic availability is better (but the odd purchase for something like say a deredeo would be fine) would be awesome.

Edited by UtariOnzo

What is the general consensus about Legion Tarantulas? I guess they coud be quite useful as a forward element in Ironfire?

Cheap Dakka is good dakka. Fast Attack slot is usually open so an easy way to get more guns!

The Anti-Air ones are kinda cool too.

Obviously if you give them forward deployment then i'd go for the 18" 360 degree range, or if they are further back go for the 90 degree arc and longer range.

The idea of having a wall of Multi-Meltas is kind of hilarious though, especially against a transport heavy army.

Edited by Charlo

Hello!

So I’m a recent convert to Horus Heresy after getting back into the game post 8th. If any of you have browsed the Legion for you thread, you’ll know exactly why I’m here (loyalist iron warriors)

It helps I really love the fluff of the Bitter Sons and that Kyr plays into the style of gameplay I know and love from 40k Greenwing, minus the copious amounts of plasma.

So I’ll be starting with a B@C boxset with a mind of converting the Catas to siege tyrants and fixing up some havocs and looking for some advice where to go, maybe some potential lists to work towards with the box set contents as a base. A nice 1500 pts gunline to progress towards, with a view of plastic availability is better (but the odd purchase for something like say a deredeo would be fine) would be awesome.

It really depends on how you want your army to play. Strictly speaking, you'll get the most out of the B@C boxset by running pride of the legion or chosen duty (vets as troops, terminators as troops). I hesitate to recommend this as everyone takes vets due to how competative they are, but if you're just getting started it should be fine.