[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

• 3 weeks later...

Dumb question:

Do Iron Circle Domitar need to have someone with a Cortex Controller in order to function properly?

Looking over their rules again I don't see anything that specifically specifies they do, but I thought they did for some reason.

• 1 month later...

So I was list building for a game today and came up with an unorthodox use for iron circle that I didn't see posted.

It's pretty simple; take a unit of 2-3...and an attached warmonger. Presto, the unit has deepstrike and can generate a lot of pressure on their back line. Pair it with some other high pressure turn 1 units like dreadclaws, termites dread-pods or even pert and watch them scramble.

What a constructive answer. It might have been discussed to death on reddit or somewhere else, but I haven't seen anything about it here. The permissivness of the deepstrike is what makes it not obvious as it's usually restricted by infantry or legiones astartes, like polux and Void Walker. Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Totally constructive and totally obvious.

You said it yourself, the Warmonger's ability to bestow Deep Strike is not limited to infantry (as are the abilities of certain other characters, Dynat for example), thus DS'ing Iron Circle as a Iron Warriors player was the first thing people did when the rules for the Warmonger were first released. As the ability isn't list / RoW dependant either, it works well in conjunction with almost any list, not only RoW'S like Orbital Assault or Iron Fire. Combination possibilities here are nigh endless.

And yet....never discussed here. I know a few other iron warrior players irl and they never hit on that combination either, the normal restrictions condition people to assume them on a quick read; it's only obvious after you realize almost every restriction is missing.

And how was that post constructive

...ahem...civilly moving on....

...speaking of Warmongers, a conversation I recently had discussed how there is never a reason to put him in Terminator armor (if you’re being crunchy). He can take artificer and has an Iron Halo and Deep Strike, thus getting all the best parts of termie plate without having to actually have any of its restrictions (not like he’s gonna rock around with Heavy weapons). 

At the cost of a land raider per model, and that you want 2-3 of them for your warmonger, and their very low volume of attacks... ehhh. Hard to deal with, sure, but a skilled player will just avoid them or tie them up. Not to say they aren't scary, but 600 points of anything showing up into your backfield is scary.

One thing to watch out for if you play ZM and have dreams of using a warmonger: you can't, because his deepstrike isn't a teleport. The new ZM rules made it even more clear than before.

At the cost of a land raider per model, and that you want 2-3 of them for your warmonger, and their very low volume of attacks... ehhh. Hard to deal with, sure, but a skilled player will just avoid them or tie them up. Not to say they aren't scary, but 600 points of anything showing up into your backfield is scary.

One thing to watch out for if you play ZM and have dreams of using a warmonger: you can't, because his deepstrike isn't a teleport. The new ZM rules made it even more clear than before.

I second that.

All of it.

600-700 worth of points who may not arrive before turn 4 is crap.

Hello

I plan on slow building a small Iron warrior force (2000 pts) and would love some advice as I am new to HH.  I currently have 20 Mk 3 tactical marine, but wondering what is the best load out for the sarge (thinking go cheap with a bolter and melta bomb, but a fist is always useful).  I also have five havoc which I can not decide between autocannon or heavy bolters.  I am planning going heavy dreadnoughts with my Iron warriors. 

It all depends on how you plan to build your army! In general though, artificer armor is probably the best thing for a tactical sarge. Melta bombs are good insurance. A power weapon or power fist are fair options too, but depend on what you plan the unit to do (for example, if you are giving them CCW and an apothecary, you might invest in the power fist knowing they'll probably survive a few rounds of combat). Autocannon havocs are a popular choice for high volume AT shooting, though missiles and lascanons have niches too.

Going dreadnought heavy is easy and you have a ton of options, though I would avoid the dreadnought ROW. Any ideas you have in mind to frame things a little better?

I am finally restarting my half arsed attempt at an Iron Warriors army - for Artillery Tanks is it best to take at least two? I currently have one Medusa conversion that I plan on using (a slightly modified Hunter Tank). 

Current 2k rough idea list is:

Kyr Vhalen (because he's awesome)

Quad Mortars 

Tac Squad in Rhinos x 2

Tactical Support Squad in a Rhino with plasmas

Artillery Tank Squadron (2 Medusas)

Sicaran Tank with lascannons (I have the model but could swap it for a Deredeo or something)

Iron Havocs with mix of autocannons and lascannons

No idea on which Rite of War to use as Ironfire says no fortifications which makes Vhalen a bit meh as he can't use his special rules and I need somewhere to park the Iron Havocs. Currently around 1735 points so I have some wiggle room but not really sure where to go. 

An easy option is to run pride of the legion (or chosen duty I guess), make those tactical squads vets with some spicy wargear options (combi weapons, plasma guns, etc). Buy you a bunker or defense line for your havocs and use the rest of your points to get a terminator squad/dreadnaught to help you defend your rear line and shore up your melee/scoring. Easy to add that in and pretty well rounded.

Quick question, are the Iron Circle automatons bulky or a variant of it? I'm also a bit confused by the LoW 25% rule. If you want to take Perturabo with the Tormentor or Iron Circle do you pretty much need to use Primarchs Chosen or do those upgrades not count?

An easy option is to run pride of the legion (or chosen duty I guess), ...

Chosen Duty is exclusive to a Legion Delegatus, so not an option for Valen.

Quick question, are the Iron Circle automatons bulky or a variant of it? I'm also a bit confused by the LoW 25% rule. If you want to take Perturabo with the Tormentor or Iron Circle do you pretty much need to use Primarchs Chosen or do those upgrades not count?

Iron Circle are Monstrous Creatures.

For updated rules on the Tormentor see the last FAQ. Short answer, it does not use up an additional slots of sorts, and its cost does not figure into the 25% LoW rule, but you can only take it in games of a size of 3.001+ pts.  Of course, you can only bring it if your list includes Perturabo.

Is anyone else saddened by the fact that the Tormentor can no longer purchase Superheavy Command Tank, or indeed swap it's Heavy Bolter Rounds for Shrapnel Rounds?

Since it is crap anyway I am not, no. ;)

600 points for one D-Template, what a joke.