[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

I’m about to play few friendly games. The lists are to lean heavily on infantry and less on vehicles - and we pledged to use some underused units. I immediately had an idea of bike and speeder led ironfire but since there are supposed to be large blocks of infantry, I don’t want to overuse templates. We are using experimental rules from FAQ. The games are to be 2000 pts.

Question: how many quad rapiers and other templates (scorpius/ basilisk) is OK?

Edited by Dhar'Neth

Is anyone else saddened by the fact that the Tormentor can no longer purchase Superheavy Command Tank, or indeed swap it's Heavy Bolter Rounds for Shrapnel Rounds?

Since it is crap anyway I am not, no. :wink:

600 points for one D-Template, what a joke.

Agreed. It has a special rule that gives no benefit to it beyond it's 2 Lascannons, it's a Command Tank that doesn't have Command Tank, it's an Iron Warriors vehicle that can never take the Iron Warriors own munitions, and it's the transport of the Primarch that can't fit his own personal bodyguard in there. Oh, and of course in the books it's describe as having a turret-mounted Volcano cannon so there's that :D

Doing well FW....doing VERY well with representing it right.

• 2 months later...

Got a game in today for the first time in way way way way too long.

3500pts vs Mortarion-and-Deathshroud led Death Guard in The Reaping. I had Perty with 5x Siege Tyrants and then a Warsmith with 3x Iron Circle + some Iron Havocs, 2x Contemptors (1x autocannon Mortis the other dual-fist/flamer Cortus), and a dual stormcannon Leviathan plus 2x lascannon Iron Havocs in /on a bunker getting ammo dump re-rolls and then 3x10 Tacs in Rhinos. Not the most optimal setup, but it was just great to get the dice out. Ended up losing 13-6, though it was even less close to that. I made some dumb mistakes (like choosing to go second, derp derp), but it was just great to get the lead out.

Highlight was Morty and Perty stuck fighting each other for 3x rounds, making insane numbers of saves back and forth: all that you either love or hate in Primarch-on-Primarch combat.

Anyone have experience using Ironfire ROW? 

Any common pitfalls or misconceptions about it? 

I may be able to score some arty models for a decent price, hence my renewed interest. Thinking of doing 2-3 Rapier units, 1x3 Medusa, some allied Cults + Militia earth shakers, Master of Signal(s) + Perty for orbitals, and putting Pert w/ his Iron Circle guard up front to tank stuff alongside Siege Tyrants and a whole bunch of infantry. I know it's all about the Termites these days, but I have 0 interest in ever owning those models, especially at FW price; not a criticism just me. 

I believe the consensus on Ironfire is that it's perhaps the most powerful RoW in the game, though last year's nerf to the formerly-incredible quad mortars may have shifted that perception a little. Employ with caution against fluffier, power armour-heavy opponents.

Iron fire is the most powerful. The change to quads make it more powerful, as they were only really used to place tokens for the big stuff and twinlinking only helps that. Combine with the new artillery tanks coming out and it's going to be even more obnoxious.

Preds as troops is only good in a gotcha sort of way, similar to knights but without an invul, devastating melee or all the other benefits of being super heavy. No where near the strength of the iron fire.

In terms of general list building to use it, throw away (not really) pert, iron circle, siege tyrants, allies. You want a few msu rapiers for token saturation, the medusas and (currently) scorpii to round out the rest of your heavy support slot. Take units in rhinos and just flat out them to danger close as the rhinos will proc the tokens. Consider recon marines as they can both act as a cheap screen/area denial with scout and can also buy nuncio voxes. I personally ran a Cerberus to give some direct anti tank/be a big distraction, but outside of the barrage, screens and tagging units you have a lot of choices. Using what I mentioned, my opponent called it on the top of turn 2 and it was so unsatisfying I've never tried to play the rite again.

• 2 months later...

I've been toying with different ways to play my Iron Warriors (quad mortar and Medusa bits are in the works for an IronFire army), but what do people think of Land Raiders in 30k?

I can't figure out how to upload a PDF file, but it's an Armored Spearhead:

HQ

Forgelord, combi-melta, rad grenades, refractor field

TROOPS 

2x Tactical Squads (10 dudes), chainswords

2x dedicated Phobos Land Raiders, shrapnel bolts, dozer blade, extra armor, auxiliary drive, armored ceramite

ELITES

Cataphractii Terminators (5 dudes), power weapons (probably mauls and axes), combi-bolters

HEAVY SUPPORT

Spartan, shrapnel bolts, dozer blade, extra armor, auxiliary drive, armored ceramite, flare shield, frag launchers, pintle bolter

LORD OF WAR

Perturabo, Forgebreaker

I guess it's kinda low on bodies but might be neat to roll in with 3 huge super tough tanks?  Guess if I switch out Perturabo with a Praetor and more Terminators....and maybe more Terminators, could be better as Pride of the Legion?  Then they could be objective scoring right?

Edited by Lord Krungharr

Land Raiders are fine. Their transport capacity is what sucks. Most of the time taking a LR means kissing goodbye to any independent characters. Right now I don's see where does the Forgelord fits. The Spartan? He has no terminator armor.

I've been toying with different ways to play my Iron Warriors (quad mortar and Medusa bits are in the works for an IronFire army), but what do people think of Land Raiders in 30k?

I can't figure out how to upload a PDF file, but it's an Armored Spearhead:

HQ

Forgelord, combi-melta, rad grenades, refractor field

TROOPS 

2x Tactical Squads (10 dudes), chainswords

2x dedicated Phobos Land Raiders, shrapnel bolts, dozer blade, extra armor, auxiliary drive, armored ceramite

ELITES

Cataphractii Terminators (5 dudes), power weapons (probably mauls and axes), combi-bolters

HEAVY SUPPORT

Spartan, shrapnel bolts, dozer blade, extra armor, auxiliary drive, armored ceramite, flare shield, frag launchers, pintle bolter

LORD OF WAR

Perturabo, Forgebreaker

I guess it's kinda low on bodies but might be neat to roll in with 3 huge super tough tanks?  Guess if I switch out Perturabo with a Praetor and more Terminators....and maybe more Terminators, could be better as Pride of the Legion?  Then they could be objective scoring right?

It's a bad idea to take the Spartan if it's just for transportation. You are paying 300+ points when the Terminators can Deepstrike on turn 1 just by joining Perturabo.

If you do that, then you could not take Armored Spearhead, that is true. However, you can bring the Land Raiders normally without need to make them DT.

Imagine not paying 300pts for the Spartan and making the RoW "Pride of the Legion" (where you can take a 9-man vet squad that allows the Forgelord to enter the Rhino) or "Primarch's Chosen" (where you don't even have to take the Forgelord at all).

Why take pride or primarchs chosen at all? He has filler troops and the terminators score already. He can drop the siege breaker for sure, but taking rites where you're offering bonus VPs when you don't need to is a classic mistake. Especially when they can force turn 6 on you.

Armour heavy lists are odd on the whole. They basically skew the entire dynamic of the game towards either "kill vehicles" like with knight lists or the troop pred ones, or "spam cheap units and have board control". If you're going to have an armoured column, you really don't want any fat like perturabo. Maximise your scoring potential and the amount of heavy armour you can bring and play smart.

I was looking the Iron Circle Automata.  Seems like they really don't do much in most games according to the posts I've seen.  They're such cool models though; is it worth getting maybe 1 just as a 'distraction Carnifex' ?  Didn't get my new red books yet, but Quartermaster has them at 205 points, which for a big durable monster seems reasonable.  

I converted my old Furybundus dreadnought into a Contemptor with havoc launcher, TL Lascannon (magnetized until I get a Kheres assault cannon bit), and CCW.  So at least I'll have one walking deathbot.  Seems like the IVth should have at least one in most army lists.  If running Iron Fire seems wise to put havoc launchers on every possible thing.

For my next HQs, I was thinking a Master of Signal and a Vigilator.  Vigilator to Infiltrate/Scout a big blob of Terminators.  Master of Signal to drop a pie plate and give my Tyrants some Interceptor.  I think I have sufficient bits to make a Primus Medicae too.  Good for a Tyrant Death Star?  

I was looking the Iron Circle Automata.  Seems like they really don't do much in most games according to the posts I've seen.  They're such cool models though; is it worth getting maybe 1 just as a 'distraction Carnifex' ?  Didn't get my new red books yet, but Quartermaster has them at 205 points, which for a big durable monster seems reasonable.  

I converted my old Furybundus dreadnought into a Contemptor with havoc launcher, TL Lascannon (magnetized until I get a Kheres assault cannon bit), and CCW.  So at least I'll have one walking deathbot.  Seems like the IVth should have at least one in most army lists.  If running Iron Fire seems wise to put havoc launchers on every possible thing.

For my next HQs, I was thinking a Master of Signal and a Vigilator.  Vigilator to Infiltrate/Scout a big blob of Terminators.  Master of Signal to drop a pie plate and give my Tyrants some Interceptor.  I think I have sufficient bits to make a Primus Medicae too.  Good for a Tyrant Death Star?  

The Iron Circle's selling point is that they're very tough. They are a proper bodyguard in the sense that they are meant to tank hits rather than be an actual dethstar.

They lack transportation options, but when joined by Perturabo or a Warmonger, they can deepstrike.

They can't deepstrike with perturabo, which is unfortunate.

If you're going to use iron circle, you do want 2. 1 is unfortunately a little underwhelming, but their defences shoot right up when you have them touching. Pair that with a character with artifice to tank incidental small arms fire and you have a very tough unit; warmonger with 2 is a really good distraction unit, but you are a little restricted since they have a cybernetica cortex.

If you want to run a tyrant bomb, then run them with pert. He comes in turn 1 with them, can buff their shooting with his cognis signum, drops a better orbital shot, has intercept for later turns and is very good in combat. Take a Damocles to ensure they go where you want.

• 3 weeks later...

What is a good loadout for an IW tartaros command squad? I was thinking at least x2 chain fist, x1 thunder hammer but am drawing blanks for the other melee and the guns. I am thinking of getting a tartaros relic blade HQ praetor. 

I suspect it's the limited edition Praetor with the glaive-like Paragon Blade sans the Combi-Bolter. Maybe.

That, or we're referring to a Praetor in Tartaros Armour armed with a Divining Blade ?

Yeah that, but couldn't remember the right name, yes paragon blade. Not sure if I can get the exact limited model though. 

• 2 months later...

Shouldn't be that hard to kitbash one, with all the terminator bitz available from so many different kits.

That is, if you want your praetor to resemble the official one.

• 4 weeks later...