[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

Warmonger.

Can the Warmonger join the Iron Circle? Mechanicum Automata are Monstrous Creatures if I'm not mistaken.

It's a special rule from the robots but in all honesty it is a very poor choice. We talk about 510 points minimum and that's a huuuge chunk which basically do jack in most games.

I'd recommand to use them as Contemptor Cortes.

There's gotta be a way to make them work, even if only in Zone Mortalis.

Base Decoration for Imperial Fists.

More serious.

I had that discussion with myself when i was choosing my First Legion.

Warmonger is the only option to get them across the board to be usefull.

There's gotta be a way to make them work, even if only in Zone Mortalis.

In ZM it's another story. They're tough and can smash in doors, but more than one is too much even there I guess. Depends on the points though.

It's like the Shadowsword super heavy. Yes, somehow you can use it but there are a lot of other units in the game which beats it in what it does.

They're not a great unit, especially against legions that like poison or bonuses to wound. But they do function as a backline threat with the warmonger. Not the main threat to be sure, but something to cause bad decisions when paired with something like a perturabo bomb. Obviously a leviathan/dreadclaw contemptor is more points efficient, but the iron circle are an option if you've gotten bored with using a leviathan.

If Only they had 3 attacks and cost ~175 pts! They desperately need rules update. They look super cool, but are not very good at fighting anything. Their gun is similar to Heavy Bolter, they are slow, shoot with underwhelming AP4, have only 2 attacks and are very expensive. Even their survival ability is so-so.

I was thinking about joining Vigilator to them and outflanking them, but Warmonger, as suggested, seems even better. However he totally pays for 4+ inv which he would get for free...

If Only they had 3 attacks and cost ~175 pts! They desperately need rules update. They look super cool, but are not very good at fighting anything. Their gun is similar to Heavy Bolter, they are slow, shoot with underwhelming AP4, have only 2 attacks and are very expensive. Even their survival ability is so-so.

I was thinking about joining Vigilator to them and outflanking them, but Warmonger, as suggested, seems even better. However he totally pays for 4+ inv which he would get for free...

Fingers crossed for rules updates after Book 9. Hell, finger crossed for rules updates in book 9.

I really want to see if FW has enough balls to buff the Dark Angels legion rules like they did when they gave Death Dealers to the Sons of Horus. It would be a good omen for other legions that also need a buff.

Edited by The Scorpion

I think the worry is about the exploding 6s so they went safe and low on the number attacks. Or they thought they trade an attack for a lot of defensive benefits. They do work wonderfully as a defensive buff to a character, but ya, not the killiest for their points.

• 5 weeks later...

So, with the advent of new units I've been revisiting my plans for Iron Warriors. Since I've played very little in terms of Heresy games, I'd like your thoughts on the following outline before I invest any more in the army I already have:

RoW: Ironfire

Group 1:

- Tartaros Praetor or Warsmith

- Tartaros Command Squad

- Dreadclaw

Group 2:

- Siege breaker with boarding shield, combi-melta and Helm

- Breacher Squad with Graviton guns

- Apothecary

- Termite

Group 3:

- Quad Mortar Rapiers

- Achilles Alpha

- Medusa Battery

- Damocles Rhino

Group 4:

- 2x squads of hussars with Apothecaries

- Tactical squad

- Iron Havoks (2x Lascannon and 3xML)

I can tweak wargear here and there to get between 2750 and 3000 points. Could it be in the ball park of interesting to play with/against? I'm not looking for a beatface list but I'm looking to not be laughed off the board either.

Thanks in advance :D

• 1 month later...

Could somebody please give me somd tips and tricks on how to write a Iron Warriors army list?

Every time I try, I end up giving up, because I end up with far too much stuff and being too reluctant on what to take out, ie if I take out this Terminator unit how will I deal with assault? Or if I take out the Mortis-Contemptor, how will I deal with flyers? And so on.

Could somebody please give me somd tips and tricks on how to write a Iron Warriors army list?

Every time I try, I end up giving up, because I end up with far too much stuff and being too reluctant on what to take out, ie if I take out this Terminator unit how will I deal with assault? Or if I take out the Mortis-Contemptor, how will I deal with flyers? And so on.

How many points against whom?

Pearson73: That's... a very good question.

I've been collecting Heresy-Era Iron Warriors since 2011, so I've got a couple thousand points in models, but it is mainly indantry and dreadnoughts.

I guess a heavy assault force consisting of terminators, dreadnoughts and automata, supported by armour, artillery, and tacticals in storm eagles.

You're going to have a hard time cramming all that in 3000.

Iron warriors lean towards shooting and being annoying to move off objectives. A generally good plan when list building is having stuff that makes your opponents react or over commit to. Dred-pods, termites and the like are valuable because they heavily disrupt in the first turn. Barrage is another one since its so strong and is pretty safe to use. Anti air is kind of a trap. A lot of rate of fire does the job; if they're doing air cav then a mortis or two wouldn't really prevent it. After you get your main damage dealing units and disruption units you can kind of fill in the rest with troops and utility stuff.

Mathematically the best is probably missile havocs. They deal 3 hull points to av 12 jinking flyers on average, while the rest (sicaran, deredeo, kheres mortis) just doesn't get anywhere near that. Nothing is going to 1-shot a fire raptor or storm eagle, but the havocs will kill pretty much any other flyer while also killing almost everything else that's not a Spartan or leviathan.

Thanks for the advice, I've been on the fence about Havocs for a while, because while true they are VERY shooty, they seem so fragile in my mind, hardened armour only goes so far, so cover is mandatory for them imho.

(which make me all the more sad the warsmith upgrade doesn't allow to increase a terrain pieces cover save instead of damaging it, isn't the iron warriors reputation more as combat engineers than sappers?)

And despite their horrendous points cost, I've been stuck up on the Tyrants, cause of their extra durability+added killiness when a siege breaker is added, but they are propably a safer bet for larger points lists.

I think I've been going at this the wrong way, I've gotten too hung up on the Hammer of Olympia RoW, so I'll see if I can make a 2,000 points list instead to work towards, with Havocs, and either Tacticals in Rhinos(cheap but squishy) or Breachers with Apothecaries in Termites(costly but not so squishy, and with nuncio-voxes might do well with the Ironfire RoW) as well as whatever tanks, terminators and dreadnoughts the rest of the points will afford!

An idea I got yesterday was for a Golg led deepstriking terminator list supported by Deredeos in pods, with deepstrike either from a couple of Warmongers or the RoW.

If you're worried about the havocs survivability you can take a bunker fortification for dirt cheap. Slap void shields and the reroll 1s to hit on it and you're laughing. Far less than tyrants with siege breaker.

Hammer of Olympia is alright, but not well suited to 2000.

Breachers are hugely expensive for their defensive benefits; support squads are better for special weapons and tacticals are better for bodies.

Again it's important to have stuff that demands being shot at instead of your havocs or tyrants or whatever.

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year to the IVth!  I have a few sets of Taurox treads I want to make into Quad Mortars.  Was wondering should I bother magnetizing the carriages so I could switch them out for some Rapier Batteries with various weapons?  Wasn't sure it would be worth bothering since we can get the various shells for the Quad Launchers; though the laser destroyers and graviton cannons seem useful sometimes.  

Otherwise in my army so far I have Perturabo, a Praetor, Master of Signal, 3 Tac Squads of 10 each, 9 Tyrant Siege Termies, 5 fist and 4 axe and 1 maul Cataphractii Termies, and a Mortis Kheres Contemptor.  Thinking I should get or convert a Spartan too.

For rapier carriages the best two options are the quad mortar and graviton cannon.

The quad is generally the best as it threatens backfield units with a decent range, can kill light to medium vehicles with shatter rounds and can burn down stuff with phosphex.

The grav is simply the best for high-armour killing. Hard to miss the big targets like raiders, leviathans and Spartans, while also always inflicting hull points on a 2+. Each blast also leaves it's own instance of dangerous terrain so a Spartan has a good chance of getting stuck after taking a volley. They do necessitate being taken in 3s more than the quad launcher though.