[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

Yeah I was thinking a couple of those might be good as I lack any other long range armor piercing; and they can still take a bit out of terminators and infantry if nothing else.

Wondering if I should get a few rhinos or plunk down for a Spartan...or a Mastadon?!?!  Guess I couldn't take Perturabo in the same army as a Mastadon, and not much besides that either :rolleyes:

So here's the thing with the laser destroyer, it's a good amount cheaper than the other anti tank options, but they're not that great when just comparing potential to strip hull points or one shot.

Against AV 10 you have a 27% chance to get an explode. Against av 14 it's a 9% chance.

And without exploding, the weapon just does 1 hull point, something the other two weapons do far better; a quad with shatter does a hull point vs av 14 81% of the time compared to the 47%-ish chance of the laser. For dedicated heavy armour youd want the grav cannon more as it just removes hull points and leaves an instance of difficult; a full battery immobilizes vehicles 50% of the time.

Regarding the difficult terrain left by a graviton cannon,

Does each blast marker force 1 test?

So three markers which hit a vehicle would mean the vehicle must make 3 difficult terrain tests?

Yes.

In my experience you kill vehicles by strafing them to death. That's why*1 I prefer Tyrant Siege Terminators over Havocs.

*1and because they are more flexible because they're tougher*2 can move and shoot plus cc ability.

*2 if on the table. Obviously putting Iron Havocs in a bunker with ammo dump is a VERY good thing.

Edited by Gorgoff

Yea it's part of why the original quad launcher with phosphex was so over the top. Huge hit generation potential with 4 templates, you could reposition to maximise/negate flipping, AP 3 and then you could end up with 12 instances of dangerous terrain for any survivors. It was really dumb.

As for tyrants vs havocs it kind of depends. You can make both a very scary unit for your opponent, but my personal favorite was autocannon havocs in the bunker. High rate of fire, range and consistent damage ability for a pretty cheap price. Tyrants are more obviously scary and can draw way more attention as a result.

I mean yeah, if we're just min maxing here take quads forever, but LDs are still solid and they're cheap.

I personally don't really rate the grav rapiers as high as the quads because of their limited range, but there are tricks around it. They are one of the few haywire options in the legion list so its not like you've got that many alternative options.

Speaking about aquitor, besides the rocket man varient, are the others worth considering for IW's?

The morbus is. You can saturate a list with them in a way you can't with a standard medusa and the chassis is reasonably durable at 4hp per. The grav gets completely outperformed by the rapier's though.

Speaking about aquitor, besides the rocket man varient, are the others worth considering for IW's?

The morbus is. You can saturate a list with them in a way you can't with a standard medusa and the chassis is reasonably durable at 4hp per. The grav gets completely outperformed by the rapier's though.

Interesting. I'm guessing you grab the side HB's and the pintle HB to make it less likely to weapon destroy the main gun ?

You don't take the pintle because of ordnance making any other gun junk; stick to the sponson bolters for the same reason. You really only want to take them in multiples though, otherwise the medusa will get more value from being safer with its range.

• 1 month later...

I was checking out the Rites of War, and thinking about my army....I have 10 Power Armored Iron Warriors, 2x5 Terminators, 4 Quad Mortars (magnetized to be other rapier weapons too).  But I can't run Ironfire without at least another 2 minimum Tactical Squads can I?

I think I saw that Legion Terminators were scoring units in missions where Troops score, but sort of had a brain fart and didn't get more Power Armored guys, since each of my Quads will need 2 guys.

I can run Pride of the Legion or Primarch's Chosen though at least.

Is it worth finding points to put Phospex Bombs on a Terminator Siege Master?

You can also just take golg as warlord and have them be troops in Iron Fire.

The thing is, the rite is easily the strongest in the game. You start getting a feel for it and take some heavier barrage and it just trivializes things.

Yupp, pretty much.

Is it worth finding points to put Phospex Bombs on a Terminator Siege Master?

You mean the Siege Breaker.

I do that, but I can't say that that is very effective.

Situational is the word I'd use for it because my SB always joins a unit of Tyrant Siege Terminators and they rarely come close to the enemy.

If they do it is a nice surprise for your opponents and indeed my SB has killed his fare share with that bomb.

But again, I would not call it cost effective.

Edited by Gorgoff

Yea for iron warriors it isn't the best choice. In a legion with access to deepstrike you can take them and just start chucking, but that's mainly if you're just taking the siege breaker to unlock phosphex for quads instead of comboing tank hunters.

Yea for iron warriors it isn't the best choice. In a legion with access to deepstrike you can take them and just start chucking, but that's mainly if you're just taking the siege breaker to unlock phosphex for quads instead of comboing tank hunters.

Exactly, and although I know that I can't help myself…. I have to buy him that bomb. Strictly speaking it's wasted 10 points but now that I am used to it it has to be done.

Besides I would be mad as hell if I stop doing it and then I find myself in a situation where he actually could throw that thing.

Anyone ever use the Hammer of Olympia?  Seems like it could be a decent Rite.  But not sure if it would be great for bunches of Terminators..... can't they already assault after firing their combi-bolters?  Gotta order the red Forgeworld rulebook, can't find my old 7th edition 40k rulebook anywhere.  

I imagine more of a bunch of really repressed Tac Squads charging with extra chainswords after unloading with their bolters, into the large blast clouds delivered by Basilisks and Medusas from behind.  Though the Primarch would probably rather use IronFire with that method.  He likes precision.

Getting hard to find 30k models.  Mark IIIs are the best looking IMHO.

So Hammer of Olympia is in need of some tweaks. It gives an extra heavy support slot which is very good and free extra armour which is also helpful, but the rapidfire thing is...clunky.

The first problem is that RAW it just screws terminators. You can usually shoot and assault find due to Relentless, but if you use Hammer, you suddenly become disordered when you shoot with combis.

The next is if you take Perturabo and get Furious Charge for units in the enemy DZ, it gets removed when you make a disordered charge as well. So you can't warmonger deepstrike a blob of tacs or breachers in and then unload and charge in the subsequent turn.

Mathematically it's the better option; you hit on 3s instead of the 4s of melee and cant be hit back, but it just feels bad when it nerfs termies and has counter synergy with the primarch.

So Hammer of Olympia is in need of some tweaks. It gives an extra heavy support slot which is very good and free extra armour which is also helpful, 

That's the reason why you play The HoO and nothing else.

It's good enough, though, but it is outshined by The Ironfire of course.