[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

@gorgoff I agree that even if the rapidfire+charge had no drawbacks or counter synergy it still wouldn't be the rule to push HoO. But I feel like combined with perturabo it's thematically the most iron warriors; you have a lot of heavy fire power to create a breach, ignore attrition from the defenders on the way there and once you've finally gotten through into their vulnerable territory you mercilessly gun them down followed by brutal close combat. Encapsulates all the iron warrior stuff, except paranoia I guess.

@lord krungharr you don't really need Hammer for the artillery tanks; their squadron rule and 0-1 limit makes them a very slot efficient choice to start.

Man I find myself wanting some tanks! Was just perusing Forgeworld heavy support and the Morbius Aquitor Bombard looked appealing. Wish the model came with all the gun options. Short range but some.nice bombard weapons and very siege crafty. Or should I just get a Terrax assault drill and load it with melta gunners?!? Gotta order the Rulebook and the dice and figured I should get free shipping by adding something.

The morbus bombard is pretty good. Fairly cheap, decently durable and does nice damage. You really don't want to take the autocannons or ever use the grav bombard though.

The terrax is also very good and can deliver support squads all over the place. Best used with peltasts to one shot tanks.

The morbus bombard is pretty good. Fairly cheap, decently durable and does nice damage. You really don't want to take the autocannons or ever use the grav bombard though.

The terrax is also very good and can deliver support squads all over the place. Best used with peltasts to one shot tanks.

Putting Peltasts in a Termite is a nice way to end friendships, that's for sure. :yes:

Man I find myself wanting some tanks! Was just perusing Forgeworld heavy support and the Morbius Aquitor Bombard looked appealing. Wish the model came with all the gun options. Short range but some.nice bombard weapons and very siege crafty. Or should I just get a Terrax assault drill and load it with melta gunners?!? Gotta order the Rulebook and the dice and figured I should get free shipping by adding something.

Why not take both?:wink:

If one has to choose between an Arquitor Morbius Bombard and the Medusa, is the Medusa ever worth taking over the Arquitor because of Phosphex Shells?

Don't ever take those, its a trap. 

The real difference is that you have 12" more range. That can be very important if you can't use the spammable nature of the bombard to get into position in the first place

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my Tartaros Terminators box!  But now I'm wondering if perhaps I should build them out as an allied detachment as the aesthetic theme of my current Iron Warriors force is heavily converted (mostly those old tiny Obliterators who are now Cataphractiis and Siege Tyrants), and the Tartaros are so sleek and new looking.  Plus I have that Vigilator still on unemployment.  

So what about an allied detachment of Alpha Legion w Vigilator in Scout armor (with jumppack if I can fit the points), Tac Squad, Tartaros Termies, and use the Alpha Legion flexible tactics to give them all Infiltrate?  Then I could have some up front screens and close up Terminators who could strike in combat turn 1 to get things messy. 

I thought about doing a little World Eaters detachment but they don't seem to offer much, and Alpha Legion has prettier colors :D

Or is that ill-advised to split my forces?  A Scout move is still something I could do with the Tartaros unit, just not Infiltrate with the IVth.

Finally got my Tartaros Terminators box! But now I'm wondering if perhaps I should build them out as an allied detachment as the aesthetic theme of my current Iron Warriors force is heavily converted (mostly those old tiny Obliterators who are now Cataphractiis and Siege Tyrants), and the Tartaros are so sleek and new looking. Plus I have that Vigilator still on unemployment.

So what about an allied detachment of Alpha Legion w Vigilator in Scout armor (with jumppack if I can fit the points), Tac Squad, Tartaros Termies, and use the Alpha Legion flexible tactics to give them all Infiltrate? Then I could have some up front screens and close up Terminators who could strike in combat turn 1 to get things messy.

I thought about doing a little World Eaters detachment but they don't seem to offer much, and Alpha Legion has prettier colors :D

Or is that ill-advised to split my forces? A Scout move is still something I could do with the Tartaros unit, just not Infiltrate with the IVth.

Infiltrators and Scouts can't charge turn one.

• 1 month later...

Let's talk Arquitors, and realistically in  an Ironfire list. That means the missile variant--while some cool new interesting design space--is out. 

That leaves the Grav variant vs the S10 AP2 variant. I lean towards the latter. People swear by Grav, but I'm just not getting it. S10 also doubles out MEQ, TEQ, and bikers. Yes, it won't reliably glance Spartans, but that seems like a bit of a waste if that's what you're using it for.

For me, it would be to compliment a pair of Medusae and some Quad Mortars with Phosphex. 

No one swears by the grav arquitor. It's incredibly terrible compared to the bombard or the graviton rapiers.

Bombard arquitors are very good, and can get more than 3 in a list. But iron fire isn't a good fit simply because it's so strong that a proper list decides the game turn 1. 3 Medusas with 2 Scorpii give an enormous amount of ranged saturation; Medusas with squadron leader can do a big number even on Spartans while the Scorpii can shred transports and units. The arquitor just can't contribute turn 1 the same way the others can.

• 8 months later...

Hello, 

I am considering an Iron Warriors project and rather than aimlessly buying whatever takes my fancy, I am trying to plan my list ahead. I would be grateful for any feedback/suggestions:

HQ

Golg

Terminator command squad, lightning claw, chainfist, land raider phobos, armoured ceramite

Elites

6 Machine killer vets, 6 combi meltas (inside the achilles)

Troops

5 cataphractii terminators, 2 chainfist, 1 power fist, land raider phobos, armoured ceramite

5 tartaros terminators, 2 chainfist, 1 power fist, plasma blaster, land raider phobos, armoured ceramite

Fast attack

3 attack bikes, melta bombs, auto cannons

landspeeder, multi-melta, grav gun

landspeeder, multi-melta, grav gun

Heavy support

Whirlwind scorpius, pintle combi bolter

Achilles alpha land raider

vindicator, machine spirit, pintle combi bolter

I thought it would be a fun list as it's heavily mechanised with a few quick units thrown in. I know that it's light on bodies, but do you think it would be workable on the table?

• 2 months later...

So nothing will change for us, right?

Just standing and shooting. We can now shoot in the enemies turn as well which will annoy them and we got +1 S against the big toys. Gonna need to build some Assault Marines with power mauls instead of axes and Despoilers with Power Mauls. Those should do short work with most vehicles.

Oh and against vehicles our HSS with Lascannons have S10 sunder which is hilarious ;)

Just standing and shooting. We can now shoot in the enemies turn as well which will annoy them and we got +1 S against the big toys. Gonna need to build some Assault Marines with power mauls instead of axes and Despoilers with Power Mauls. Those should do short work with most vehicles.

Oh and against vehicles our HSS with Lascannons have S10 sunder which is hilarious :wink:

Really liking our new rules!

Oh and against vehicles our HSS with Lascannons have S10 sunder which is hilarious :wink:

No shananigans. Just straight to the delete the enemies vehicles part. Volkite Culverines with 5 shots s7 WOW

No shananigans. Just straight to the delete the enemies vehicles part. Volkite Culverines with 5 shots s7 WOW

Now I don't feel so bad being cheap with cataphractii power axes either. Sad we lost the Iron Havocs but loving the HSS now!

Now I don't feel so bad being cheap with cataphractii power axes either. Sad we lost the Iron Havocs but loving the HSS now!
I mean we only lost BS5 and -1 to Cover. Cover saves are one worse than before and since the HSS can take a signum. Nothing lost. Edited by Gorgoff

I mean we only lost BS5 and -1 to Cover. Cover saves are one worse than before and since the HSS can take a signum. Nothing lost.

And we can even get BS5 because a lot of units can take Cognis Signum's now (or even a Techmarine with such a tool to free our sergeants to fire)

What a time to be an Iron Warrior! 

Also IW tactical marines with shrapnel bolters are absolutely hilarious and are gonna be really useful in the new edition! 

And we can even get BS5 because a lot of units can take Cognis Signum's now (or even a Techmarine with such a tool to free our sergeants to fire)

What a time to be an Iron Warrior!

Also IW tactical marines with shrapnel bolters are absolutely hilarious and are gonna be really useful in the new edition!

Check this out:

Ten tacticals will kill any AV11 vehicle with four or less hullpoints in 12 inches because their Boltguns habe S5 against them. Insane.

Edited by Gorgoff

• 2 weeks later...

I just got parts for ten Dominators. I guess I do 5 with chainfist and 5 with Thunderhammer. Any objections?

You looking at the new rules or 1st editions?

For 1st, I don't think thunderhammers are ever worth it over chainfists.

For 2nd, the hammers can be swapped for graviton crushers, which absolutely demolish vehicles and dreads, but lose efficacy against multi-wound models. This can be manipulated with rad, but that's adding points to the unit.