[HH1.0] Tactica Chainaxe: World Eaters

LongGone

Angron

Tactica: World EatersI have yet to see anything regarding tactics for the Eaters of Worlds in the Horus Heresy. Just about every other legion has their own thread, but not us. I believe it is time to change that.

Unfortunately, I'm an aspirant to the world of 30k, and due to unforeseen warp storms my copy of the rule books wont be here for quite some time (read UPS doesn't deliver to FPO/APO addresses). What is a fledgling god of the arena to do? I can write fluff till the cows come home, and assemble models till my fingers bleed (I'm sure a certain god would just love that), but I have no direction, no insight into what works best for the bloody VIIth.

I'm calling on all the brothers of the World Eaters Legion. This is your chance to create a comprehensive depository on how to best rampage your way through the galaxy. For when the day comes that you must fall in the heat of battle, lying dead atop a mountain of the enemy, it does the rest of us no good if you take all your knowledge and leadership skills with you.

...And go! Edited by Flint13

I always take our row, Berserker Assault. I think it's worthy, and allows us to go fluffy while deploying circa 60 marines (3x20 tactical squads) with feel no pain (you want some apothecaries with them!), hatred and rage (so 4 attacks on the charge and you repeat "to hit" rolls!) and possibly furious charge.

That's a lot of bodies for the opponent to take care of -and whatever they touch, they destroy.

I like to support them with a pair of double kheres contemptor and a stormeagle, so that it'll bring your best assault unit exactly where you want it to strike. At 2000 points, you could also put in there one of the tactical blobs.

As a last note, I like my praetor to have a paragon blade AND a powerfist. This way you can deal with both infantry, caratchers (in a praetor vs praetor challenge, the pf is the best choice to use... unless your opponent rolls a 6, and you'd still have your iron halo) and also tanks.

Thank you Khârn the Bloody for your input!

To help get the juices flowing for the other 144 tabletop generals who've taken a look, I would like to pose the following questions from an aspirant dead set on joining the ranks of the Eaters of Worlds:

- What type of list/s do you find work best?

- Do you ever take anything besides our own RoW? Why/Why not?

- What is the best way to arm a Preator? Why?

- If you include a Centurion in your army, what type?

- How do you arm said Centurion?

- For troops, how do you split your squads between tactical, assault, despoilers, etc?

- How do you arm your Sergeant?

- Is there anything that you find is an automatic DO NOT take?

I've got a million questions, as my rule books must take a most circuitous route to get to me, but I will stop here. 

Thanks in advance!

Morning! Let's see if I can help out a bit and answer a few of those questions. It goes without saying, these are all my own personal experiences, and as such are super biased towards both hilarious things happening and playing against the full range of 40k armies (as opposed to other legions). Feel free to disagree or debate as needed.

1.) Since we're legion, we get all sorts of fun price cuts when we start taking larger squads. Larger squads are also a fire magnet, so its a good idea to protect them with extra armor. I've found an armored cavalry approach works quite well. Land raiders of all varieties go miles to making your World Eaters more effective, and since they're assault vehicles, you can get stuck in where you need to. This will slant your army towards the small side, but as long as each of your units has a very distinct purpose, you stand a far better chance of success. So far, my favorite list contains two Spartan land raiders and a fire raptor.

2.) For Rites of War, I've tried a few just to see how they fair. Like many, I started with Pride of the Legion (veterans/terminators as troops) so I could begin playing even with a small force. This is hella fun. Try it.

For our own rite of war, it actually combos *really* well for our more traitorous side. Having Rage *and* Hatred is a very potent combination, and make even small squads of World Eaters a pretty big threat on the charge. That's 4 attacks with re-rolls to hit from your basic legionary with a CCW. You did give them the CCW upgrade didn't you? The only reason I haven't used this more often is that my World Eaters are supposed to be the good guys, and I *really* like librarians, which this rite of war restricts. Of course, you don't really need psychic powers when your World Eaters are already re-rolling to hit ^_^

The only downside I have seen to this is them actually being a little *too* effective, especially for more elite troops with heavy duty attacks like terminators or veterans. Just like in vanilla 40k, if you wipe a squad off the face of the board with a super effective charge, you feel really good about yourself. But then your squad is forced to sit there for a turn and eat every single ranged weapon your opponent has. Makes me really miss playing fantasy occasionally when you can't overrun and contact another enemy unit to start a new combat. 

3.) I will admit the only reason I ever take a praetor is when I want to use a rite of war. They aren't super expensive, but they don't really specialize in anything besides general combat (see point 1 above). My best use of them has been to keep them cheap as possible. Iron halo, paragon blade, digital weapons, melta bombs, then add him into a squad that isn't quite full strength. They can provide ablative wounds so he can can-opener terminators. Just be careful of getting him stuck into a challenge that he doesn't want. Often, Praetors are the meanest thing on the table until you hit a Primarch or a nasty CC special character like Sigismund or Sevatar. All 40k tends to favor a "girls over pearls" approach, as in its better to have more boots on the ground than a ton of super expensive units. If you're taking one, use him well.

4.) I *love* centurions. Much cheaper and much more specialized than Praetors. You should *always* buy the upgrade for them to turn them into a specialized consul. Lemme break them down:

Chaplain - While badass, unfortunately not quite as effective for us when we are using the Rite of War. If you're using another though, they are a *huge* force multiplier. While less flexible than a librarian, chaplains give your squad hatred and fearless without a psychic test, making sure they hit hard in the first round of combat and won't get swept after a bad combat or afeared by something scary in an era before "And They Shall Know No Fear."

Master of Signal - Another large force multiplier. Gives their squad the benefits of Night Vision and an Augury Scanner. Keep them super cheap, and hit something juicy with their first turn bombardment. After that, as long as you don't shoot (one boltgun is typically far less valuable) they can give any unit that isn't a super heavy or an independent character +1BS. Very good if you've got some heavy support squads or *really* want to hit with a *ton* of Fury of the Legion shots.

Legion Champion - A cool model and a neat idea, but unfortunately suffers from kinda being a "Praetor lite." He won't do anything your praetor can't do better, and doesn't have any good specializations like some of the other Consuls. The last thing we need is another combat beatstick ^_^

Vigilator - Very valuable for their Scout rule. They can get a squad close (which is never a bad thing for a World Eater) just make sure you aren't putting them in a position where your opponent will have no other threats to shoot at, and thus just focus fire the entire scouting squad off the board in the first turn.

Librarian - One of the more expensive options, but commonly worth the price of admission. Even with the wonky new psychic phase, they are still a big force multiplier. Bonus that legion librarians can get any of the five disciplines and are better shots than their Sorceror/Vanilla marine counterparts. No longer a negative that they have a slightly lower leadership thanks to 7th ed ^_^

If you're going to be spending the points on these, it's typically a good idea to go big or go home. A single lvl 1 psyker tends to get bullied around by a psyker heavy army like eldar. A couple of mid to high level librarians do very well to even out a few problems in your lists, support each other well, and can force at least a couple of useful powers through every turn. I prefer biomancy myself, but play around with a few disciplines and see what you like.

Just don't be an invisibility douche bag. :dry.:

Forgelord - Another good force multiplier. Can sit in your land raider and repair hull points, or can go in a squad to provide delish rad grenade goodness.

Siegebreaker - Unfortunately not quite as good a buy. Typically wrecker and tank hunter are less valuable than +1BS outside of a few fun specialized scenarios. 

Primus Medicae - Typically seen when players are crafting a large, expensive command unit. I avoid using the term "death star" because I'm kinda sick of hearing it (everything's a something star when it can't be shot to death. Beaststar, screamerstar, seerstar :yucky: ) and it implies there is an inherent weakness.

But! Great for getting a 5+ Feel No Pain save into a squad that typically couldn't have one. Up to you to decide whether or not the price of admission is worth it. They typically end up the price of 2-3 normal apothecaries. It is *hella* fun to have a Cataphractii armored medic though.

Medicine through the brutal application of chainfist :thumbsup:

Moritat - I know the dual plasma pistol chainfire thing is still alive and well, but I really don't think it's worth it in most cases. Any smart opponent will just gun him down if he's on his own. If you take a support squad of destroyers, he and his retinue typically cost more than whatever you're going to obliterate.

I will say it was fun to plasma pistol a Knight's rear armor to death with a jetpack moritat though. Even if he did kill himself with the "Gets Hot" rolls afterwards ^_^

Mk, that's a little more than halfway done. Decent start? 

Let me know what else you'd like included, and I'll get back on answering those and any new questions shortly.

I really can't add much that flint hasn't already covered. Here's just some of my folksy wisdom:

-> Cataphractii terminators are your best friend. Take at least 5 if not 10 if you can and mix up their weapons. These beasts can plow through just about any unit on the board and even scare things like a commandstar on Jetbikes (hehe that ones to mess with flint ;) ).

However, if you are doing an armored rite of war or something similar, I really do suggest throwing these dudes in a land raider or spartan as they are slow as all get out.

I'd suggest 10 because then you could have something that can actually hurt a primarch, but if you are doing 5 here's what I'd take

1 w/Power Fist and combi bolter

1 w/ plasma blaster and power axe

2 w/ power axe and combi bolters

1 w/ twin lightning claws

This way you can destroy other 2+ save units, but still have that twin lightning claw guy to chew through marines.

-> Veterans.

Now I've always wanted to try a few squads of these guys because you can give them outflank and power weapons. Now with the Bezerker rite of war, you can gain hatred by being outside your deployment zone, which is incredibly easy to do with these guys.

I'd suggest taking a squad of 10 and throwing your praetor or Khârn in this unit and outflanking. I'd give the sergeant artificer armor and a power fist, two veterans with power swords, and two vets with melta guns, oh and melta bombs if you have points.

This unit can show up on the flanks of your enemy and hopefully destroy lighter armored tanks that aren't always with armored ceramite like contemptor dreads, Scorpii, or predators on their first turn. Next turn they charge just about any unit and wipe them off the table. Your opponent will likely push most of his units to the middle as he anticipates you outflanking. This is a wonderful thing for your main force that's charging up the middle as it will bunch up the enemy units for a glorious charge :D

-> Contemptors

Don't leave home without one. These dudes will scare the pants off your opponent. I don't know if the legion rules technically apply to them as most of the rules state that you must have the legion astartes world eaters to use them, but if it does let you, a charging contemptor with hatred and rage is fantastic.

I'd suggest taking a contemptor (or two) with one close combat fist and either a Kheres assault cannon or a plasma cannon. I've noticed (from switching over to 1st legion with plasma heavy :D) that plasma cannons are vastly underrated and will easily blow up precious enemy units from afar while you get closer.

That's all I have for right now, I'd be happy to help with any other questions you have :)

Rampagers squads

I have read that most people believe they are not worth their points.

If you were to take them how would you deploy them?

Jump packs or landraider?

Which caedere weapons would you give them?

I like the idea of a full squad with jump packs and at least four meteor hammers.

Caedere weapons

Which caedere weapon would you equip an independent character with?

I liked the idea of giving a jump pack primus medicae twin falax blades so he can pose a threat to terminator and artificer armour and still strike at initiative 5.

Have I read it wrong or does twin falax bades also grant an extra attack on top of gaining an extra attack due to being twin? If not, a charnabal sabre is better and cheaper.

Woohoo, replies! :thanks:

Now some follow on questions to continue and drive this thread toward the awesomeness it deserves to be (can't let all those weak sister legions have a better tactics thread than us):

- Troops - is it worth it to take anything besides tacticals, with their CCW upgrade of course (Thanks, Flint)? I keep reading the juice of assault squads just ins't worth the squeeze - which is a shame because I've got Sang Guard Mk IV jump packs all o're da place.

- What are your thoughts on tactical support squads? Hell, what about Heavy Support Squads that take away from our selection of tanks and such?

- Dreads - Judging by the threads on B&C, Contemptor-Mortis is the wave of the future... or future-past, as it were. Although I like the build suggested by depthcharge12, what are your thoughts? For purely fluff reasons, can we even do dual DCCW a la BA Furioso Dreads?

- What do you think of our Fast Attack options? 

...and go!

Edited by LongGone

For dreads with Dual DCCW, yes you can! They also come with integrated choice of graviton gun, plasma blaster, heavy flamer, melta? and storm bolter! They're essentially Furioso's + 

And lets be supah serial here, Dual Claw or Fist Contemptor Dread looks pretty baller, bonus points if its WE, BA, NL or RG.

On the topic of praetors, like flint said, a basic one with an iron halo, paragon blade, and digital lasers will do great, but ultimately will get caught in the praetor stalemate as I'd like to call it.

More than likely the praetors will wind up dueling each other and killing each other off simultaneously, and trust me, I've seen it happen.

I equip mine with a paragon blade, digi lasers, plasma pistol, and refractor field. The plasma pistol works well because you make the most use of your praetors BS5 to try and kill one more important model or strip a wound from the other character. I take a refractor field because it's cheaper and more than likely the praetors will kill each other. If not, the other praetor will facing down my cataphractii terminators or the guns of the rest of my army.

I've been contemplating for my World Eater army to take a champion instead with a thunder hammer and other goodies because he has WS7 in challenges (!!! You have no idea how much this helps) and his hammer is mastercrafted. He would pretty handly take down another praetor for less as his enemy will likely be hitting him on 5+, which is tough trust me, and all of his attacks hit on 3+ with one reroll, and all his wounds cause instant death to footslogging praetors.

It's a brutal combo if you ask me. Especially with rage and hatred.

I do suggest putting at least one ranged weapon on your contemptor (Mortis contemptors are for min max fools IMHO) to provide close range heavy support while your gribblies rush in :) then you can make use of the dread's fleet rule to charge in and smack skulls.

Assault squads look good and I've wanted to make a squad, however they will eat so much flak flying in that it's not worth it. Buy more regular tacticals and give them ccws and the sergeant a power weapon or fist.

Tactical support squads (especially volkite calivers) are worth their weight in gold. I suggest calivers as they are objective secured troops and put out a healthy amount of S6 deflagrate hits while cover camping a home objective :P

I'm not too keen on rampagers, their weapons, and their rules, however, I've never played with them so that's that.

Red Butchers on the other hand, look brutal, so throw them in a Land Raider or Spartan so they can go eat face.

Would you like to know more?

^^ I see what you did there, Projects. I think ten would be a huge fire magnet. If the spartan got through (which is decently likely) I think they would hit and obliterate whatever they wanted, then get shot to death the very next turn. But they'd look *BALLER* while doing it.

@ Depthcharge - I've heard it argued that a Charnabal saber will break the Praetor paragon deadlock. Duelist's Edge gives you +1 initiative when fighting in a challenge, so the argument goes that the rule's wording is such that you don't need to wield it to get the bonus, just be equipped with it. I suppose it makes sense in both directions, both rules and fluff-wise.

^^ I see what you did there, Projects. I think ten would be a huge fire magnet. If the spartan got through (which is decently likely) I think they would hit and obliterate whatever they wanted, then get shot to death the very next turn. But they'd look *BALLER* while doing it.

@ Depthcharge - I've heard it argued that a Charnabal saber will break the Praetor paragon deadlock. Duelist's Edge gives you +1 initiative when fighting in a challenge, so the argument goes that the rule's wording is such that you don't need to wield it to get the bonus, just be equipped with it. I suppose it makes sense in both directions, both rules and fluff-wise.

Ehhhh

I've never heard that before but it makes a good case, but it does sound silly because I think you'd need to be using the blade in the fight to gain the extra initiative.

Plus rending is still only a 1 in 6 to wound, doesn't instant kill, and still allows the 2+ save for all the other hits. If you find it works, then by all means let me know and don't let me stop you :P it's a good idea but kinda risky.

@tmp

I think 10 might be overkill, but then again you're playing with world eaters haha

I think that a unit of 5 is more than enough to kill whatever you cross

Slipstreams, you seem like a man after my own heart! 

Depthcharge12, Yes, my desire to know more is increasing. Tell me how I may contribute to the war effort!!! BeeTeeDubs, also not a fan of Rampagers. Not necessarily their rules, because I don't know them yet, but their models mostly. Where the hell is the thumbs down smiley...

@ Depthcharge - Rending would be a little useless considering you already have a paragon blade. You're basically paying 10 points to have +1 initiative over the other Praetor. 

I could see a swordsman using a dueling blade in conjunction with a more powerful weapon to gain and advantage. 

@ Depthcharge - Rending would be a little useless considering you already have a paragon blade. You're basically paying 10 points to have +1 initiative over the other Praetor. 

I could see a swordsman using a dueling blade in conjunction with a more powerful weapon to gain and advantage.

I agree and I'm sure I'd allow it if I played against it, however the wording is tricky, and I'm not sure other players would view the rule the same way.

Maybe send an email over to FW?

Slipstreams, you seem like a man after my own heart! 

Depthcharge12, Yes, my desire to know more is increasing. Tell me how I may contribute to the war effort!!! BeeTeeDubs, also not a fan of Rampagers. Not necessarily their rules, because I don't know them yet, but their models mostly. Where the hell is the thumbs down smiley...

Yeah Rampagers aren't quite my cup of tea, and their models are one of three sets that I absolutely don't like from the heresy, but other than that.....HAIL BLIGH! HAIL BLIGH!!!

*ahem*

What more specifically would you like to know? I've had some heresy gaming experience (albeit at lower points 1250-1500) but I think that Flint has had more.

Are there certain other tactics you want or good units?

I always find myself including at least 5 if not 10 TEQs in my army list. They just feel....right.

On the topic of tactical squads, don't be afraid to take 2 squads of 20 with an apothecary, additional ccws, and an artificer armored sergeant. The benefits are amazing and the two squads are a force to be reckoned with in their own right.

I really want to take Khârn with Gorechild as he will absolutely tear up the enemy...

What more specifically would you like to know? I've had some heresy gaming experience (albeit at lower points 1250-1500) but I think that Flint has had more.

Are there certain other tactics you want or good units?

I always find myself including at least 5 if not 10 TEQs in my army list. They just feel....right.

On the topic of tactical squads, don't be afraid to take 2 squads of 20 with an apothecary, additional ccws, and an artificer armored sergeant. The benefits are amazing and the two squads are a force to be reckoned with in their own right.

I really want to take Khârn with Gorechild as he will absolutely tear up the enemy...

My plan is to obviously start with the compulsory HQ and 2 Troops. Everything I've read so far has basically said its mando to roll deep with two 20-man tactical squads, so that's what I'm starting with. I've already talked to FW, and while they can't cut a book in half, they can parcel out model shipments to fall beneath UPS' 4lb restriction for FPO addy's. I'm dropping that order next payday. 

I'm definitely looking forward to getting some Terminators, although I'm not a fan of drop in speed required by Cataphracti squads, although they obviously make up for it in endurance on the tabletop. Its a toss up really between the two types, and honestly I like how the Tartaros models look just a smidgen more. Once I get to the level where I'm taking the larger transport/assault vehicles, then I'll probably make the switch. 

I've looked at the rules/tactics page on 1d4chan, and yeah, Khârn looks like he can mess so mo' truckas up! Although how I'll swing that with a supposedly loyalist force is sketchy... Whatever, his model rocks so I definitely plan on getting it. 

As far as different tactics, or other questions, I'll listen to anything anyone has to say. I'm leaning toward a more fluffy/close combat force, but I also understand that I may have to change things here and there to be a little competitive. Even with the other armies I've built, they've always been small, and I've only had a handful of games in the last ten years, so I'm a sponge when it comes to tactics - World Eater or otherwise. 

I'd not advise taking loyalist WEs, because you can't make use of a lot of their cool rules (which is one of the reasons you take them no?) but I understand the different strokes, different folks.

I would say to plan long term and draw up a 2000 point force (it is the sweet spot for getting in what you need as well as what you want - it's kind of the 1500 or 1850 of 40k equivalent points).

In that case, take the cataphractiis. It's not advisable to footslog terminators unless you want a command squad on foot with terminator armor to stick with your tacticals to provide fearless and provide support with a reaper autocannon.

I have a squad of 10 terminators that are mounted in a spartan, but in the few games I've had with Athrawes, they've nearly soaked up anything shot at them when footslogging and proceeded to singlehandedly murderize his army. And these guys were with my 1st legion, they didn't even have the benefits of the world eaters :)

As an American (I assume) you should completely understand our grand strategy of "Hey diddle diddle, straight up the middle."

Words to live by my friend.

That's the good thing about the game. In my head, and in the fluff I will put down in my eventual plog, they may be Loyalists. I'm even planning to paint them less as BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD err'where, and more as hard bitten veterans slogging through the muck. But on the table top, I can generally use whatever models and rules strike my fancy, as long as I abide by WYSIWYG.

And yes, as a Marine I'm definitely familiar with that grandest of strategies. Not because it's necessarily something we always do, but because it's very much the pervading mindset in this gun club.

S'ok, my World Eaters are loyalists, and I get by. You just have to weigh the options you get loyalist vs traitor.

Loyalist -

1.) Librarians

2.) Shabran Darr

3.) A sense of self worth (which, can we really put a price on?)

Traitor

1.) Rage

2.) Hatred

3.) Red Butchers

4.) Khârn 

5.) :censored: Angron

You decide!

Before I make a reply, how accurate is the World Eaters' section on the 1d4chan Horus Heresy rules/tactics page? If its not accurate, let me know, and then disregard everything below....

The page seems to indicate that Loyalists still rate 'Bloodlust,' and so can still conditionally get Rage. We just don't get it right off the bat like with 'Blood Madness.'

And as much as I like my sense of self worth, we could still take the legion RoW, correct? And still get Hatred outside of our deployment zone? I mean, we may be loyal to the Imperium and all, but we're still hounds bred for war, and members of one of the most violent legions out there. That's gotta count for something, right?

Or is this a case of me trying to have my cake, and eat that :cuss: all by myself?

As far as how to build a force, it's always the same.  Find a RoW you like and build from there.  I liked the idea of Angel's Wraith, so went with an all jump pack force. Once you have a RoW (even if you don't/can't use it fromt he start) you have a direction in the hundreds of options.  Then get a HQ and troops you like.  Fill out as needed for points and unit size.  And the RoW gives me Hit and Run, which is nice to shift out units to help assaults that are not going as planned.

I am in full support of full squads.  I believe anyone that only runs 10 man troops has no real concept of what 30k is all about.  My force Has Khârn, a praetor, Master of Signal, Primus Medicae, 2 full assault squads, 2 squads of rampagers, 1 squad of destroyers, two 7 man squads of butchers, 1 squad of breachers (beginning of the Triarii).   I have a full despoiler squad that will be Khârn's retinue. Then I have the Iron Warrior support slowly growing, they will be the vehicles, heavy weapons, and scouts.

The praetor runs with a rampager squad, the medicae runs with an assault squad, and the MoS runs with the destoyers...BS5 destoyers with ML's is a fun unit.  Khârn runs with  butchers and has dropped two knights so far.

This force is a super fluff bat, but  while not an insta-win--people respect it.  70+ pissed off jump pack marines hitting a small part of the line is hard to deal with.  The only tactic I have issue with is the castled army.  But I still spearhead and wreak shop.

My future plans are to put the butchers in assault rams...nothing like crashing an airplane into things and murder jumping out.  I will also fill out the Triarii with a second breacher squad and some termies. 

If you are not upgrading to chainaxes...you should go play another legion.  When the 30k IG hit they will not stand a chance and chainaxes look bitchin'.  On my praetor I have found that Paragon blade and Charnabal is the best load out so far; but i'm looking at dropping one of the WE weapons, just have not settled on one yet.

Butchers- great for creating a small area of pain.  They are pretty durable against most units and believe one of if not the best Legion termite's in the game.  I've gone toe to toe (with a 7 man squad) with a full squad of firedrakes and there were only two of them left when the dust settled. 

Rampagers - good when you kit them with the various WE weapons.  The up 'S' and up 'I' make them great at handling most of anything unit.  I use them as the blunt force unit, using Hit n Run to bounce them where needed. 

Destroyers- Love them.  the assaulting Missile launchers are great to knock out dug in units.  And the 18 pistol shots at BS5 (with MoS) soften up a unit before the assault.  The MoS can also drop his orbital shot when needed. 

despoilers- drop the bolt gun for the chainaxe.  Still get to Fury with the pistols but get an extra attack in CC.  Very fluffy and effective. 

Just taking a quick look at what's written about the RoW on 1d4chan, I'm leaning toward Pride of the Legion or Berzerker Assault. Pride seems like the general, one size fits all RoW, and for a beginner it'd be a nice way to dip my toes in the water and figure out what I like. Berzerker, well its our RoW and it seems pretty bad ass, and it's clearly melee oriented (which is the play style that interests me). But I'm not too keen on the limitations it sets, as I like the idea of multiple centurions and librarians.

If someone were to run a squad of Butchers, how do you best kit them out? Jazz hands and power axes? Or do we bypass the Sound of Music poses and give them something a lil more...frightening?

Whats the rules difference between Despoilers and Tactical squads? Going by the pics on FW, they look like assault Marines sans jump pack. That can't be it though, right? What's the advantage of taking one over the other?

And again, forgive my lack of rules knowledge (see above posts) but is there a rule difference between a chainaxe and the chainsword? 

As you've might've read at 4chan (actually, surprisingly credible for this) tactical squads come with a bolter and bolt pistol standard, but you can exchange the bolter for a chainsword for free, or purchase an additional chainsword for 2 points to make a true grit marine - bolter, chainsword, and bolt pistol.

Chainaxes can be upgraded for free for World Eaters and are AP4, which is useless against marines, but brutal against some mechanicum and incoming solar Auxilia.

So what you're saying is Despoilers are just Tac squads that dropped their bolter entirely in favor of bolt pistol and CCW? So the idea is a Tac squad with less reach, but the +1 Attack? Hmmmm, yeah gonna have to say that 20-40 points is definitely worth the true grit, loaded-for-space-bear Astartes. Tearing apart non MEQ foes in close combat sounds incredibly fluffy!