[HH1.0] Tactica Chainaxe: World Eaters

LongGone

Does anyone else think Crimson Path is kind of terrible, compared to the majestic glory of Beserker Assault?

It seems you have to very specifically do massed dreadclaws/pods to make it even remotely viable

I've been brainstorming and it seems suited to Khârn, as his WT buffs rolling for 1st turn and seizing the initiative? Plus a Damocles or Proteus? Just seems to not be worth it, if I was the enemy I'd scootle my butt out of my deployment zone and go hell for leather on the objectives, forcing the World Eater to leave the buff zone?

When I read the rules, I immediately gravitated towards Berserker Assault for the attack bonuses, but to each their own.  I'll always be running my WE with Berzerker assault, even with the fact that I'm building a largely mobile, armoured force that uses drop pods to crash into the enemy lines

Yah the great thing about BA is everywhere you want to be is outside your deployment zone.

Unlike the incredibly restrictive CP one...hey ho I hate it, moving on. At least I get a meta legion to play with over my Sallies when I get tired of losing.

Anyone use/enjoy Storm Eagles or Fire Raptors? I saw the pics of the soon to release AOS airships and think it would be awesome to WE them up and use them as a "counts as".

World Eaters flying around in baskets under huge ballons?

I don't see that. :D

Anyone use/enjoy Storm Eagles or Fire Raptors? I saw the pics of the soon to release AOS airships and think it would be awesome to WE them up and use them as a "counts as".

World Eaters flying around in baskets under huge ballons?

I don't see that. :D

You might soon! Or I could add Defiler legs and call them Dark Mechanicum brand Landraiders or something.

Anything really. Legions are flexi-balls as heckDon't limit yourself.

However

Anti-tank that can keep up with the tide of madness may include:

Sicaran Venator

Skyslayers (multi-melta)

Attack bikes (multi-melta)

Outriders (tl meltaguns)

Javelins (multi-meltas & HK) (Also one of the most points efficient armour busters available)

Any veteran, support or heavy support with AT in a pod (bonus points for giving support axes for a charge at some point)

Xiphon

Lightning (krakens)

I kind of wish they ruled in tank crews with 8th ed, so we can give them chainaxes and decide to charge them instead of firing their tank weapons. Maximum fluff.

• 4 weeks later...

Having seen one in person, they are half as tall as a rhino but on the flight stand, hang ~1" at its highest over a rhino while being just as long if not a bit more if going from memory.

So, thinking about getting a few of the GW landspeeders, popping missile launchers and multimeltas on them, and running them as Javelins. Anyone else running them?

I'm completely guilty of doing this. Javelin models are awesome, and I understand the elitist attitude fairly well, since I wouldn't want to be facing a 30k army made up of MkVII armor and all 40k vehicles. That being said, given how expensive 30k armies are I just had to reduce the budget in some aspects, and the javelin is 2-3 times the price of a normal speeder so it was a pretty easy choice. Just hard for me to justify spending that much on a vehicle that's under a hundred pts. 

I've been using normal speeders as javelins for awhile, even did so at a tournament (NOVA, not just some local tournament), and I didn't get any complaints, and the organizers were completely fine with it. I'd just make a rule for yourself to not use normal speeders in a list alongside javelin speeders, as it would feel wrong to have the two different speeder variants yet use the same models for them. 

If anything, just do some light conversion/kitbashing to the regular Plastic Speeder to clearly and unmistakably differentiate it to the standard kit and more visually similar to a Javelin.

Sounds difficult to me, the javelin has more smooth, rounded edges while the normals speeder is more angular. Maybe an excessive amount of green stuff might be able to give you the rounded front half of the hull the javelin has. Personally I think it's just easier to stick to not using normal speeders at all if you're going to use normal speeders as javelin count as, but if you want both yeah you need some further conversions. 

I can't offer any advice on using javelin speeders amd I'll keep my subjective opinions of suitable conversions to myself.

What I'm interested in is weapon loadouts for tartaros terminator squads, both in zone mortalis and as an in your face battlefield unit deploying from a dreadclaw. Are volkite chargers worthwhile when compared with the equal cost combi-weapons? How many chainfists is too many? Any other thoughts or observations?

Edited by Cactus

I can't offer any advice on using javelin speeders amd I'll keep my subjective opinions of suitable conversions to myself.

What I'm interested in is weapon loadouts for tartaros terminator squads, both in zone mortalis and as an in your face battlefield unit deploying from a dreadclaw. Are volkite chargers worthwhile when compared with the equal cost combi-weapons? How many chainfists is too many? Any other thoughts or observations?

In ZM I go with 3 Combiplasma, 1 Plasma Blaster 4 Power Fist, 1 Chainfist+ 1 Volkite Charger (because of reasons) at my Sarge.

That works quite well for me.

If anything, just do some light conversion/kitbashing to the regular Plastic Speeder to clearly and unmistakably differentiate it to the standard kit and more visually similar to a Javelin.

I was thinking round out the nose, chop T-top, and chop the spoiler in favor of a fin.

In ZM I go with 3 Combiplasma, 1 Plasma Blaster 4 Power Fist, 1 Chainfist+ 1 Volkite Charger (because of reasons) at my Sarge.

That works quite well for me.

Thanks Gorgoff, we seem to be on the same wavelength. I was already thinking they might only get one good shooting phase in a game so why not make it plasma? Volkite charger on my sergeant because CHOOM! I might add a heavy flamer with chainfist into the mix because I've always liked that loadout.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings!

I'm fairly new to Wh40k and even greener to 30k.

So far I have both the red books, but I'm not sure how best to start at the moment.

Are the BaC and BoP box sets a great way to start on 30k?

I keep seeing despoiler squads; will I be able to convert the troops of both the box sets with upgrades to create them or just buy the despoilers individually?

Also, where might one find the Berserker's Assault rite of war? Can't seem to find it on the red books. :S

I'm really liking the idea of drop pods and spartan tanks as well.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by MeatGrinder12th

Welcome and good choice on Legion.

First thing to note is that we are curently in a bit of a limbo as we transition through additions so the rules you have now will unfortunately be out of date in the near future. We will know more news on this over the coming weeks when forgeworld put forth their plan for 30k at warhammer fest.

This makes it a somewhat tricky time to start a Legion however if you base your buying decisions on things that look cool, you will never have an issue anyway.

First up, despoilers and calth... The marines in the box are designed to be holding Bolters and so to make pure despoilers, you gotta buy the resin ones. Then, you will need chain axes on top. Now me personally, all of my marines ate resin as I built my army before calth box, however even today I would buy the resins. Obvs that's budget dependent, I just think they look so much better. If budget is an issue, you can use calth marines and mount chain axes om their belts or back packs to make 'true grit' marines (bolter and ccw).

As far as the rest of your force, Spartans and pods curently are the best for us to get us in combat quickly ( I run 2 Spartans, anvilus and kharybdis) and are assault vehicles which we need. That is with current rule set, so again might be worth just waiting a little bit longer to see.

Bezerker assault is in the latest red legions book so not sure why you can't see it?

If it where me starting the Eaters at present, I would get myself a couple of tac squads (either despoilers or calth your choice) and get these fully painted, maybe even throw in some red butchers (as they ate wicked models and mental) and see what occurs over the coming weeks. Then, you start to get some progress made whilst not investing heavily down one avenue of army style as other, more appealing ones might open up.

Again though, if you think something lols cool, just get it and paint it!

Hope this helps

Welcome and good choice on Legion.

First thing to note is that we are curently in a bit of a limbo as we transition through additions so the rules you have now will unfortunately be out of date in the near future. We will know more news on this over the coming weeks when forgeworld put forth their plan for 30k at warhammer fest.

This makes it a somewhat tricky time to start a Legion however if you base your buying decisions on things that look cool, you will never have an issue anyway.

First up, despoilers and calth... The marines in the box are designed to be holding Bolters and so to make pure despoilers, you gotta buy the resin ones. Then, you will need chain axes on top. Now me personally, all of my marines ate resin as I built my army before calth box, however even today I would buy the resins. Obvs that's budget dependent, I just think they look so much better. If budget is an issue, you can use calth marines and mount chain axes om their belts or back packs to make 'true grit' marines (bolter and ccw).

As far as the rest of your force, Spartans and pods curently are the best for us to get us in combat quickly ( I run 2 Spartans, anvilus and kharybdis) and are assault vehicles which we need. That is with current rule set, so again might be worth just waiting a little bit longer to see.

Bezerker assault is in the latest red legions book so not sure why you can't see it?

If it where me starting the Eaters at present, I would get myself a couple of tac squads (either despoilers or calth your choice) and get these fully painted, maybe even throw in some red butchers (as they ate wicked models and mental) and see what occurs over the coming weeks. Then, you start to get some progress made whilst not investing heavily down one avenue of army style as other, more appealing ones might open up.

Again though, if you think something lols cool, just get it and paint it!

Hope this helps

Thanks Fangbanger, I think one thing I can do is probably look on ebay for arm parts that are holding singe handed weapons.

I already have the BaC and BoP sets and I'm not too keen on my models holding boltguns with both hands.

I'll probably start on that for now until we receive more news at the coming warhammerfest.