Out- out are the lights- out all!
   And, over each quivering form,
The curtain, a funeral pall,
   Comes down with the rush of a storm,
While the angels, all pallid and wan,
   Uprising, unveiling, affirm
That the play is the tragedy, "Man,"
   And its hero the Conqueror Worm.”

Fragment from the lost Pre-Unification works of Edal Len’Po, circa late M1.

“Betrayal. Resentment. Arrogance. These were the wounds that killed the Imperial Truth. Mankind at its very worst, the self-devouring worm, rancid in its own desire to consume at the expense of everything else. Is it any wonder we slipped from grace so easily? This is our legacy.”

From Lessons We Should Learn, outlawed text published in the years following the Siege.

Queller Hirraupt of the Remembrancer order

“It is hard to put into words the sorrow and tragedy of those days. Pain, both of the body and the soul, was our constant companion. We were numbed, insensate, drowning in loss and madness. But still we fought. We could do little else but spite them with our every breath, remind them that every step they took was won with their own blood and pain. And amongst all the pain of those days, the great horrors of the Angel’s End and the wounding of Him, we forget the other losses, the other tragedies. Seraph fell. They all fell. Unwitnessed. Save by me. And the knowing of this breaks my heart.”

From Blood on the Steel: the lives of Seraph

Bastian Ortega, once named Icarium, of the IXth Legion Astartes.

“...No more heroes anymore...”

Graffiti found at the ruins of AnMonal sub-district, Palace of Terra.

Author unknown.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140805_202840_zps9fb05df9.jpg

This looks most promsing brother, I look forward to this thread's future content with great interest.

I hope we'll see more soon, but until then...

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/218/7/a/xcom_eu__council_representative_by_saguinius-d7u0hfj.jpg

Evening chaps. Damn, wasn't expecting quite that kinda response to what was just a small intro. Seem to have given myself quite the billing to live up to ;)

As you may have guessed, this will be charting my foray into Heresy-era gaming, specifically the IXth Legion at the Siege of Terra. I've held out against 30k for a long long time for several reasons - Marine clang-offs time and time again aren't exactly fun and pretty much every HH army I've seen looks the same (with a few notable exceptions) in terms of unit choice and so on. To be honest, it didn't interest me at all. Until recently. 

Having said all that, this will primarily be a story and art driven army than a gaming army - I'm aiming for a looser Blanche feel to the Angels and the way I paint them over the hyper-realism and weathering love that seems to be the norm for HH stuff. Sounds a bit pretentious maybe, but hey-ho. I want some beautiful looking angels rather than a tip-top gaming army.

There is off course a large fluff drive beind this as well, got a storyline worked out so those of you who followed my Three Hives Rebellion plog will know what to expect. Of course, the Angels of Seraph are a lot nicer than the Talons....

Mikhail - thanks very much man, hope you enjoy.

Marshall2Crusaders - ha goosebumps is good. Fingers crossed you'll like what's coming.

LongGone - more coming ;)

Demon2027 - thanks buddy, much appreciated. Fingers crossed it'll live up to your expectations.

Noctus Cornix - thanks man, good to have you along for the ride. Looking forward to seeing what's next from you as well.

The Yak - soul behind everything man ;) Art, not wargame pieces. 

1000Heathens - haha I take it you're a little excited? ;)

Strongbow - cheers fella, good to have you onboard.

Bob Hunk - thanks man, always a thrill to pique the interest of one of the PCRC.

Sanguinius Reborn - thanks man. Updates may be a little sporadic to start, thanks to Real Life, but there's some Angels inbound to whet your appetite.

So, lets go......

Reflections of their Father

"I see them always, those faces of Seraph. I see them in life and I see them in death. I carry a hundred ghosts in my head, and each of them whispers their story to me."

From Blood on the Steel: the lives of Seraph

*Image Codicium accessed*

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/156fa6f6-ccd5-45a7-a736-7819ff9b70c5_zps8d07ae14.jpg

Sirio Dumas, named Inariel, of Leopard-9 Tactical.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/e74f1651-2534-4d19-97d9-bcab44f56aee_zpsd43baf5f.jpg

Nemet Khyr, Paragon of Leopard-9 Tactical

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/ef323128-c1ed-4b17-a26d-68601337898f_zps869cd346.jpg

Legionary Hawl of Leopard-9 Tactical 

*Image Codicium released*

I've heard good things about your work happy.png I like the fact that this army will be driven more by fluff (both "official" and that which you've come up with) and the way it looks than over on-the-board effectiveness smile.png

Opening Chapters - the Fall begins

"But evil things, in robes of sorrow,

Assailed the monarch's high estate.

(Ah, let us mourn!- for never morrow

Shall dawn upon him desolate!)

And round about his home the glory

That blushed and bloomed,

Is but a dim-remembered story

Of the old time entombed. "

From the Pre-Unification works of Edal Len’Po, circa late M1

"Amidst the chaos and madness of those days, it is hard to know where to start this tale. The Siege is well-documented, the exact moment of the Breach known to all. Where then to speak of Seraph? I carry all their lives in my mind, can recite every detail from the moment they became Astartes to the moment they died. Do you, reader, require that knowledge? This is to be the tale of their end, so that they do not fall unwitnessed. Thus, I must start this tale with bloodshed, with the thunder of bolter-fire, and with the first of Seraph to awaken his wrath in the face of the Eaters."

From Blood on the Steel: the lives of Seraph

***accessing memory: auto-quill engaged

Smoke blanketed the streets of AnMonal, throwing a deathshroud across the once-glorious district of the Palace, rendering it as cold and silent as the grave. The dim rumble of war could just be heard by Astartes ears, the unceasing assault of the Traitors fury against those they once called brothers shattering this world piece by piece. False Dawn was a constant occurrence, the unending orbital bombardment and near-orbit void war eclipsing the natural rhythms of days on Terra, leaving each side fighting in a constant flickering dawnlight. Through the grill of his helm, Afio Lorenz of the Ninth could taste ash, and bone. And blood. Not the clean coppery tang of fresh blood, but the bitter iron of clotted gore, of days-old slaughter.

The Twelfth then. Not the Fourth as Azariel had wagered - he should be thankful, no brutal uneven death by creeping bombardment for Seraph. No, instead this would be close, intimate. Decided with blades and won in blood on the hands.

Afio felt a vulpine grin stretch across his mouth, lips peeling back over the tips of his eyeteeth. He was ready, as were all of the Blooded of Seraph, almost eager for this to begin. Almost. The Rage simmered in his augmented chest, ready to unsheathe claws and teeth and rend and tear and bite and suck down that crimson copper-tasting liquid, hot in the mouth and sweet, so sweet.... Warning icons blinked to life in front of his eyes, elevated heartrates, rising adrenaline, increased limbic activity. With an effort, Afio pushed the Rage away, calmed himself and found the cold centre that all warriors needed in battle. Ran the routine checks that were almost ritual - bolter loaded, primed. Blade oiled and loosened in the sheath. Back to vigilance, watching the smoke-blown streets like a raptor.

There. Some three hundred metres away, coming up the main thorough-fare through the ash, a half dozen figures, Astartes big. Clad in hulking shambolic Mark Three plate, marble-white sections now scarred and shattered, stained with dried and rotting gore. Brutal chainblades held loosely in gauntlets, a mismatch of sidearms and longer bolt pieces. No order to their advance, no evidence of urban tactics, just these six Astartes wandering almost aimlessly through the streets of the cradle of Mankind as though they thought they belonged there.

Afio felt the grin become something more feral, something more fitting to a snarl. A few seconds clarity of thought, a subvocalised vox-blurt to Seraph.

"It is the Eaters, my location. Limited threat, Samiel engaging."

And then....the cold fury of combat. Exploding from cover, bolter already braced and firing. Sabot rounds punched into the helm of the lead Eater, shattered ceramite and bone beneath. Switching targets, three rounds into the weaker hip armour of the next, sending him crashing to the concrete, almost severed at the waist. The hot copper-spiced tang of Astartes blood filled the air and now the Eaters reacted, chainblades roaring, sidearms firing wildly as they raced towards him. No art to their fury, no grace or style to their rage-fuelled flailing. Another Eater punched from his feet by concentrated fire to his chestplate, the ceramite buckling and splintering into the Black Carapace it covered. Mere feet away now, close enough to smell their stink and hear the barking shouts they made over the roar of their blades and the thunder of his bolter. The first Eater reached him, swung an over-large chainsword clotted with gore in a horizontal carve that Afio simply ducked under, coming up in the face of the second Eater, inside the reach of his long hafted chainaxe. The Eater howled, battered at Afio's crimson plate with iron gauntlets before registering the solid length of steel through its gut. Afio twisted, pulled his blade free in a welter of blood and viscera in time to punch the first Eater in the back with bolter-fire. No time to think, the Eater he had gutted came at him again, ropes of intestines hanging from his ruined armour, chainaxe raised in both hands. A side-step this time, taking Afio past the Eater, a twist and parry with his blade sending the Eater crashing over onto his comrade, chainaxe chewing into the ruined back armour, sending blood flying into the air. Sneering, Afio of the Ninth emptied the rest of his bolter clip into the pair, sabot rounds punching ceramite apart. They stilled and then the only sound was the heavy wet breathing and idling chainaxe of the last Eater. Half-buried markings on once-white armour marked him as Gladiator Primus, a squad leader ranking.

Breathing steady, heartrates even. Afio locked gazes with the Samus-pattern helm of the Eater, raised blood-slick blade before his face in salute. The Eater grunted in response, raised brutal chainaxe in fist.

Now the war would begin in earnest.

"You call your Primarch the Red Angel, no? This is a jest surely? Some sly humour of the Twelfth? 
Come then, let me show you how a son of a true Angel fights..."
Afio Lorenz, named Samiel, of the Blooded of Seraph Company, IXth Legion Astartes 

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140812_141236_zps78c1cc85.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140812_141152_zps700faa57.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140812_141138_zps13b84c44.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140812_141204_zps8dc3bec8.jpg

Afio as I remember him, perhaps the closest to a brother I had amongst Seraph. Clad as most of us were in Mark IV plate, filigreed and decorated by his own hand but bearing the scars of war. Afio had a poet’s touch, a mind sharp in wit and deft in the creation of emotive works. He was, I think, the best of us, the ideal son of Sanguinius, beautiful in his wrath and as quick in his mind as our Father was on the wing. A member of the Blooded, the veteran cadre of Seraph, Afio had wrought the ruin of our foes for scores of years, honours heaped upon him as heavy as any cloak. He was the first of Seraph to draw blood against the Eaters during the Fall, and one of the last to die, still spitting his defiance into their faces but never succumbing to the Rage inside him. In that, he stood alone from Seraph in the end. For Afio, more than any other of Seraph, I weep.

***memory core access rescinded: auto-quill disengaged

Evening chaps, hope you all enjoyed Afio's little introduction and the first look into the storyline of the Fall Of Seraph. In terms of what's coming up next, well it depends on what I can get written next to be honest. The 15 man Tactical squad for the army is assembled and just needs the basing finished and some small greenstuff work, so more than likely it will be those chaps. But who knows.

On a related note, those of you who enjoy my writing might be interested to hear that after my publishing success with Mantic earlier this year (my short story was printed in the Nexus Psi campaign book for Deadzone) I've won another competition - Studio Coulrophobia's Ars Scribendi - this time with an entirely from-scratch piece in my own homebrew setting. It might not be the biggest competition in the world but I'm inordinately proud of my homebrew setting winning and it's given me the push I need to start working on my own non-GW writing properly and try and get published on my own.

By the way, if anyone needs some freelance writing done......you know where to find me msn-wink.gif

Right, back to the Angels of the Ninth. I've been working on a few random bits recently - I try and get a tester model done for each unit first just to work out if the idea works yet. The other night I worked up this chap as a test for the Assault Squad and I'm pretty happy with him. Nice mix of brutality and Angelic elegance. He's still awaiting the mk IV jump pack but I'm happy with how the squad will look.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140814_193318_zpsb7ef2da7.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140814_1933311_zpsa74b5903.jpg

I've also been working on this chap on and off - he will play an important part in the Fall as one of the two HQ's for the army as well as being fairly central to the storyline. I have found a nice BA head to pop on him and a backpack is en route. No other clues as to who or what he is yet though.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140814_193426_zpsfca879c6.jpg

November - I snuck this one in mate msn-wink.gif Wasn't actually planning to start it just yet but some of the ideas I had were just too good to hold onto. Plus I'm almost done loading up the Talons thread. Hope you liked Afio.

Aquilanus - I always get a little thrill when people say they've heard good things about me, I trust Afio lived up to your expectations. And story always comes first for me, even at the expense of list-building.

That's it for tonight chaps, will try and show off a few more of Leopard-9 Tactical over the weekend.

Cheers,

Jack

Aquilanus - I always get a little thrill when people say they've heard good things about me, I trust Afio lived up to your expectations. And story always comes first for me, even at the expense of list-building.

I not entirely sure who mentioned your work (I have my suspicions though smile.png ), but whomever it was, they were someone who themselves are accomplished in rustling up fluff pieces (as their fluff drew me in too), and I'm (almost) certain that they attributed the style of their topic to you smile.png I just think it adds a little something to the 30K setting.

Afio is definitely one bad ass Blood Angel happy.png I'm certainly subscribed to this topic!

Evening chaps, thanks for your continued interest and support :)

Reyner - they are gorgeous models and perfect for Angels. Some of the chestpieces need a little tweaking, but they work really well with the classic raised and braced bolter and you can also get some really interesting poses from them, like this chap:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/ilenz_zps775c8964.jpg

I'm using the Palatines as my Veterans, the Blooded - the extra filigree on the armour is just perfect. 

Sanguinius Reborn - a little sweetmeat for you above fella ;) And more to come soon as well. 

Aquilanus - I think I know who you mean ;) Thanks very much for the sub as well, hopefully you'll enjoy the rest of the Angels of Seraph as much as Afio.

So, work continues at a slow pace - I have selected the first fireteam of Tactical Marines to work on, they just a little greenstuffing to touch them up and then they will be ready for undercoating. I'm also going to try out another test Veteran model and a jetbiker soon as well, just to make sure I get the look right. Till then, enjoy the next post....

Join the Palatine revolution ;) Seriously though, they do make perfect Veterans - anything too Slaaneshy (which is really only a few stretched faces over thighs etc) can be smoothed away or painted metallic as decoration. The arms and heads are real nice as well, great for adding a little extra to line Tactical or sergeants. 

I'm tossing around an idea for Blood Angel Breachers in mk IV as well, hopefully what I have in mind will work...

The Mailed Fist

"When the Eaters came for us, it was the Tacticals who blunted their teeth, who held them at bay for all the long Fall. Leopard-9 was the oldest of Seraph's Tacticals, the most decorated, and the Eaters choked on their deaths. We still bore the wounds of Signus, all of us, both physical and mental, but we were Astartes. We were Angels. Nothing could take that from us."

From Blood on the Steel: the lives of Seraph

*Image Codicium accessed*

Display: Fireteam Secundus, Leopard-9 Tactical, Seraph Company: IXth Legion Astartes

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140817_223015_zps590a97f5.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140817_223040_zps8c78af4e.jpg

Legionary Tiest. KIA day 12 of the Fall.                                     Legionary Fallon. KIA day 12 of the Fall.       

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140817_223100_zpsbaa44890.jpg http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140817_223125_zps477aa8f9.jpg

Legionary Suron. KIA day 5 of the Fall.                                             Legionary Rasmus. KIA day 2 of the Fall.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140817_223143_zpsd15c169d.jpg

Nemet Khyr, Paragon of Leopard-9. KIA day 20 of the Fall.

*Image Codicium access released*

Archived