The Fall Of Seraph - Histories of the IXth

JackDaw

Knowing that these guys are punished really does make those masks super creepy. If you could find a way to have them crying tears of blood that would be fantastic. Really pulling it out of the bag as per JackDaw!

I don't think there is anything to say that hasn't already been said, you constantly produce amazing models and background to go with it. It will be sad to see this project end but again, I can't wait to see where you go after. I concur with Hyaenidae, those masks will look killer with a marble effect.

Those masks would look wicked if they were painted to look like black marble. Just a thought, man. smile.png

As always, awesome stuff!

Damn you Hyaenidae..... Now I need to learn how to paint marble. A Chaplin in black marble armor, YES please. :D

Those masks would look wicked if they were painted to look like black marble. Just a thought, man. :)

As always, awesome stuff!

Damn you Hyaenidae..... Now I need to learn how to paint marble. A Chaplin in black marble armor, YES please. :D
Now marble armour would be amazing to see

Morning folks, thanks for all your enthusiam and excitement over the Destroyers :)

Jimbo13 - Haha you seem a little excited there fella ;)

Flint13 - Creepy is good. Not all Angels are beautiful.

Marine7312000 - I did consider it, but I have shaved them down on two models already so didn't want to repeat that again. Plus the crests give them a much needed little touch of height. Paint-wise, they are already on the go, the armour is nearly finished.

Candleshoes - Better later than never mate ;) And thank you, high praise indeed. Minos might be one of my favourite Angels so far.

Geektom - Thanks very much man, gladto hear you're enjoying everything

Hyaenidae - Godsdammit man, I was going to go for aged steel, but black marble sounds pretty damn boss.....

Kobrakei - Those masks should always be creepy mate, even in 40k they are wearing the face of their dead Father. Tears of blood might be a stretch but I will see what I can do.

Bob Hunk - Cheers fella, much appreciated :)

The Hydra - Thanks man, very kind of you to say. Sadly there will be an end to Seraph soon - The Warbasterds are sadly rather biased towards Marines at the moment with probably about 20k worth of Marines between all of us. So no more Marines for me, I'm hitting up Xenos next. However, I do have some =][=28 goodness which I'll be putting up on here, so you don't get rid of me that easily.

Andvarr A - That's some pretty epic praise mate, thank you very much :)

So the next few days will be spent cracking on with the Destroyers - need to test my idea for bleached armour this morning and then if it works I should be able to get that done over the next few days. Then paint some black marble helms apparently... As long as things stay on track, they should be done by the weekend. Then its only 3 more veterans, a tank and a Moritat to do. Speaking of tank.....

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150728_190104_zpsskyvdqdf_edit_1438591491990_zpshgvqjted.jpg

That's the Steel Dawn as she stands currently needs some gs work to fill in some gaps in the pieces but she's almost ready for undercoating. And then the long tedious process of painting. Man I do not enjoy painting tanks. And I still have a Sicaran to assemble and paint :-/

Anyways, onwards and upwards folks, catch you all soon.

Jack

Painting tanks sucks and Im right there with you.

I'll totes be here for tank painting emotional support while you hammer Steel Dawn out ^_^

Just do the same for me when I get started on my first Spartan >_<

How I haven't commented on this thread yet is beyond me, your work is absolutely stunning!

Can't see if you have mentioned it anywhere, but where are the breacher shields from, they are very nice bits!

And how have you not? seriously got me motivated for my own fluff for my own bunch

Of the Lamented 

And there lay the rider distorted and pale,  

With the dew on his brow, and the rust on his mail:  

And the tents were all silent, the banners alone,  

The lances unlifted, the trumpet unblown.  

And the widows of Ashur are loud in their wail,  

And the idols are broke in the temple of Baal”  

Spoken by Geor, Lord of Byron, circa M1.  

They carry the poison of Baal in their hands, and the poison of Man in their hearts. We mourn what they could have been, those we call the Lament.”  

From Blood on the Steel: the lives of Seraph   

Bastian Ortega, once named Icarium, of the IXth Legion Astartes 

*** Accessing Image Records 

* Display: Unidentified Astartes, ref "The Lament", Destroyer Cadre of the IXth Legion Astartes  

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_073918_zpspy8br7kx_edit_1438940460402_zps0ctgxnms.jpg

It is not spoken of often, but even Astartes can fail, whether it be in deed or character. Each Legion has its own punishment rites, from the pain-glove of the Seventh, to the duelling pits of the damnable Twelfth. For we Angels, punishment came from service in the Lament, the otherwise unnamed and forgotten Destroyer cadres of our Legion.  

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_073750_zpsl12qe9ta_edit_1438940390762_zpsknkfgmg8.jpg  http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_073805_zpsxkybvyrf_edit_1438940408408_zpsxaontwvy.jpg

To be assigned to the Lament was to have your identity stripped from you, all honour and laurels forgotten, all art and artifice destroyed. You would be clad in bare plate carrying only the colours of the Legion, with nothing to identify you or mark you out from your fellow trangressors. Sealed into onyx facemasks bearing the blank visages of Angels long dead, you would be silenced for ever. That is what it means to be an Angel and to fall. To lose not only your voice in the Choir, but to lose your very self as well.  

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_073713_zpscisbhyki_edit_1438940358377_zps1jm9vz6y.jpg  http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_073822_zpsgb8bmcgo_edit_1438940425858_zpsze4pup5r.jpg

We never saw the Lament during the Fall. We knew they were there, the night the Angel of Lamentation visited us, and we saw the ruination and effect of their presence on the Eaters the following day, but we never laid eyes upon them. I was never asked to take their memories into mine.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_074020_zpsl9z61ftx_edit_1438940443367_zps27k9imva.jpg

For that, I am thankful.  

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_074130_zpsopcrci0i_edit_1438940512895_zpstseozrve.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_074051_zpsb1k2dsys_edit_1438940496106_zps2h4gpme8.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_074036_zpsmktjca9x_edit_1438940479531_zpsbwqcqfzh.jpg

The Lament would enter the fray bearing the most dangerous rad-weaponry, from grenades to depleted-uranium bolts for their side-arms. Every son of Baal remembers the radiation laden kiss of their home's suns, the way it twisted them and hid the beauty inside them. To carry that same deadly gift in your hands is no easy thing. The kiss of Baal can be seen on their plate, eating away at the colours of our Legion. A reminder that our legacy and origin can never be forgotten.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

*** Records Access revoked. Display ends.

Very cool, and sinister. I like how they look totally unlike the Sanguinary Guard. The faceplates never look like they've been lifted from another kit. I also like the idea of radiation eating away at their heraldry.

I like to consider the link to the Lamenters, millennia later!

Looking good! Am I correct in saying that the Lament are made mute? Are they also permenently sealed within their helms? If so, that's delightfully dark. I'm happy to see that you drew upon the radiation soaked history of Baal. As I've said before, BA destroyers are a great way to show the duality of the Legion. True Angels of Death.

Do you have plans to add any missile launchers, or are you sticking with twin pistols?

I'm looking forward to seeing how you deal with the Angel of Lamentation.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Wow.

These guys are something else. I can't think of a worse punishment for the proud warriors of the IXth to be stripped of their identity and honour. I'm always a fan of doomed and unknown warrior tropes, and they really have that going on in droves. Great job on the painting, but it's the amazing fluff as per that brings it home. I'm sure I say this every time I post, but it becomes more and more true that you really step it up every time.

Of the Lamented

And there lay the rider distorted and pale,

With the dew on his brow, and the rust on his mail:

And the tents were all silent, the banners alone,

The lances unlifted, the trumpet unblown.

And the widows of Ashur are loud in their wail,

And the idols are broke in the temple of Baal

Spoken by Geor, Lord of Byron, circa M1.

They carry the poison of Baal in their hands, and the poison of Man in their hearts. We mourn what they could have been, those we call the Lament.

From Blood on the Steel: the lives of Seraph

Bastian Ortega, once named Icarium, of the IXth Legion Astartes.

*** Accessing Image Records

* Display: Unidentified Astartes, ref "The Lament", Destroyer Cadre of the IXth Legion Astartes

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_073918_zpspy8br7kx_edit_1438940460402_zps0ctgxnms.jpg

It is not spoken of often, but even Astartes can fail, whether it be in deed or character. Each Legion has its own punishment rites, from the pain-glove of the Seventh, to the duelling pits of the damnable Twelfth. For we Angels, punishment came from service in the Lament, the otherwise unnamed and forgotten Destroyer cadres of our Legion.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_073750_zpsl12qe9ta_edit_1438940390762_zpsknkfgmg8.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_073805_zpsxkybvyrf_edit_1438940408408_zpsxaontwvy.jpg

To be assigned to the Lament was to have your identity stripped from you, all honour and laurels forgotten, all art and artifice destroyed. You would be clad in bare plate carrying only the colours of the Legion, with nothing to identify you or mark you out from your fellow trangressors. Sealed into onyx facemasks bearing the blank visages of Angels long dead, you would be silenced for ever. That is what it means to be an Angel and to fall. To lose not only your voice in the Choir, but to lose your very self as well.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_073713_zpscisbhyki_edit_1438940358377_zps1jm9vz6y.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_073822_zpsgb8bmcgo_edit_1438940425858_zpsze4pup5r.jpg

We never saw the Lament during the Fall. We knew they were there, the night the Angel of Lamentation visited us, and we saw the ruination and effect of their presence on the Eaters the following day, but we never laid eyes upon them. I was never asked to take their memories into mine.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_074020_zpsl9z61ftx_edit_1438940443367_zps27k9imva.jpg

For that, I am thankful.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_074130_zpsopcrci0i_edit_1438940512895_zpstseozrve.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_074051_zpsb1k2dsys_edit_1438940496106_zps2h4gpme8.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150806_074036_zpsmktjca9x_edit_1438940479531_zpsbwqcqfzh.jpg

The Lament would enter the fray bearing the most dangerous rad-weaponry, from grenades to depleted-uranium bolts for their side-arms. Every son of Baal remembers the radiation laden kiss of their home's suns, the way it twisted them and hid the beauty inside them. To carry that same deadly gift in your hands is no easy thing. The kiss of Baal can be seen on their plate, eating away at the colours of our Legion. A reminder that our legacy and origin can never be forgotten. *

*** Records Access revoked. Display ends.

Totally worth the wait. They are beautifully painted sir. So much YES!!! How much more is left?

The Lament are truly Grimdark. I can think of no punishment worse for a Blood Angel than being stripped of everything that makes them them. The wear and tear on their armour and generic (as in uniform) appearance just adds to them happy.png

This whole thread is just mad :cussing sick. Honestly enjoyed every last bit of it. Your fluff is up there with Heathens and Brother Heinrich, and your painting is top notch as well. I'd love to see what sort of stuff you'd come up with for other legions.

I was skeptical when you first posted the pic of these guys unpainted, but wow, after seeing some paint on them I've done a 180 and they're now my favorite part of your army. The rad bleaching is masterfully done. I love the irony of being stripped of decoration, and yet, the Lament takes on an entirely new and haunting beauty of their own. You're an inspiration, man. I would love to someday achieve even a fraction of what you've done with your Angels, with an army of my own. 

Afternoon folks, hope things are good.

Replies first, then some updates, then some kinda bad news.

Flint13 - Yep, tanks are the worst. Although, those Scimitars were pretty damn awful to paint, so who knows - maybe Steel Dawn will be a breeze in comparison. Mutual support is the way forward I think.

Andvarr A - Ha yeah, but I'm old-school and always use a brush. None of this new fangled arty farty airbrushing here, nossir.

Dantay_XV - Wet blending mate, easy to do on a tank if you get your paint right. And doesn't have that chalky finish of dry-brushing.

Wulox - Thanks very much man, glad to hear you are enjoying everything. The shields on the Ophanim are from Max Mini. Very nice pieces, but only 3 designs so you have to get a little creative with shaving some details off for variety.

Commisar Molotov - Yay, the link to the Lamenters was noticed smile.png Its hard to see from the pics, but there is a yellowish tinge to the rad-damage that echoes the Lamenters scheme. And its awesome to know they look like their own thing and not just gunslinger Sanguinaries.

Brother Dallo - Correct on both counts Sir, they are indeed rendered mute and sealed within those helms. Rare for someone to make it out of there, but there is a member of Leoipard-5 who managed it. Whether he is able to speak of it or not is another matter.... No plans to add anything extra to the unit, they were just a little hobby-project that snuck in. I am also looking forward to working on the Angel of Lamentation - jsut cant't decide how rad-bleached to make him....

Kobrakei - Ha not sure how much further I can step this story up mate msn-wink.gif Thank you though - that tragic waste of a warrior is what I wanted to get across, not just from the martial standpoint but also from the 'what art they could have wrought' standpoint.

Marine7312000 - Haha do it! They are pretty nice kits to be fair, and the pieces can be easily used elsewhere as well. Good for sgts etc.

Jimbo13 - Thanks man, good to know you think they were worth the wait. Probably one of the quicker units to paint in all fairness, took about two evenings work. Not much more left - a tank, 3 vets, the Moritat and 2 other surprises.

Aquilanus - Thanks very much mate, everything you mentioned story and technique-wise is what I was aiming for on these guys.

Goosey_J - That might be some of the highest praise yet smile.png No plans for another Legion yet - the only others I can see myself doing are Night Lords and White Scars. NL are way too popular at the moment and WS are very similar to my 40k Astartes, the Iron Talons. If, and it's a big if, I did another Legion I would probably go Traitor, or maybe the Rout.

The Hydra - Thanks man, glad you like them. Was unsure of whether the rad-bleaching would work at first, but happy I stuck with it and how it came out. Good times all round. The Inquisitor stuff will come at some point later, for reasons I'll go into in a bit.

Tyrannicide - You know, you saying that is probably the highest praise of all. Means a lot that I was able to change your mind that much on them - thanks man. I'll be honest, the Lament are probably one of my favourite parts of the army as well. I also like that even though they are the punished and lamented, they have managed to find a kind of beauty in even that - guess you can't totally destroy a Blood Angel's soul, no matter what.

So, on to the bad news. Well aside from the Fall of Seraph almost being completed, I am going through some bad stuff IRL at the moment, leaving me pretty much unable to do any major hobby business. I might be able to get some assembly work done now and then but painting is pretty much out of the question. No idea on when, or if, it might get better. So essentially that means I might not have as many updates for you as I'd like. However, I will try and keep things ticking over somewhat as and when I can. I do have a intro for Steel Dawn, a squad shot of the Ophanim and maybe a fluff piece I might be able to do that I can post up over the next few weeks, but that's about it.

Please bear with me folks, hopefully stuff will settle in a few months.

To tide you over though, and to say thank you for all your support over the course of this project so far, I think you deserve to see something special before I go....

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20150814_150126_zpsjecfk7pm_edit_1439561539375_zpsaswpzghh.jpg

The Lion Of Baal

Real life always comes first JackDaw. Little toy soldiers, even these awesome ones, can wait. Hope it all clears over for you soon :)

Also, yes x 1000 to the Lion of Baal!

Archived