The Fall Of Seraph - Histories of the IXth

JackDaw

Evening chaps, thanks for your comments.

Mikhail - thanks very much mate, on both counts. The Blood Angel plastics are some of the best upgrade bits for Marines I think GW have ever done, used sparingly with other kits they are immense. And you should totally do some Iron Talons.

Strongbow - yeah sorry man, Real Life has been getting in the way recently. And I do try to make each Astartes a character in his own right, makes working on the basic chaps more interesting.

The_Chaplain - thanks man, will do :)

Candleshoes - those are actually some of the Mk IV legs, from the Legion set I think. Not as studded as the mk V. Skaro does look pretty boss though, I'm happy with how he turned out.

1000heathens - thanks fella

Deathspectresgt7 - cheers :)

So, progress report. The first Tactical Fireteam is all done, save for the bases. Very happy with how they turned out, and how quickly they were done as well. Compared to my Iron Talons, these chaps are turning out to be pretty simple to paint. Pictures will be coming up soon, but for those of you who enjoy my fluff and wanted more of it......well, prepare yourselves for a wall'o'text...

Blood Spills

But see, amid the mimic rout,
  A crawling shape intrude!
A blood-red thing that writhes from out   
   The scenic solitude!
It writhes!—it writhes!—with mortal pangs   
The mimes become its food,
And seraphs sob at vermin fangs
   In human gore imbued.

Fragment from the lost Pre-Unification works of Edal Len’Po, circa late M1.

"We take children, and make of them monsters. Bred only to kill and kill again, gene-forged strength with a cruel childs mind. We make them monsters and laud them for it. Is it any wonder then that the monsters now knock upon our door?"
From Lessons We Should Learn, outlawed text published in the years following the Siege.
Queller Hirraupt of the Remembrancer order

"Those early days of the Fall were the darkest, until the end. We reeled, savaged on all sides by the Eaters and adrift in a sea of hate. It took an act of bravery, of supreme sacrifice, to pull Seraph from the maw of the Eaters."
From Blood on the Steel: the lives of Seraph
Bastian Ortega, once named Icarium, of the IXth Legion Astartes.

***accessing memory: auto-quill engaged

The streets of AnMonal echoed with the crash of falling masonry, the ripple of explosions and above all else, the roaring thunder of bolter-fire. The vox-net of Seraph was alive with the curses of brother legionnaries as they fought and died. The Eaters assault had been unrelenting, splintering Seraph with wedges of Dreadnoughts and phalanxes of marble-white Astartes. In Seraph's favour was the lack of co-ordination amongst the Eaters, their battle-rage unfocused and wild, easily distracted by the indiscriminate slaughter of Imperial Army conscripts. Crouched behind a shattered rockcrete barrier and reloading with unconscious thought, Nemet Khyr cast his eye over the few Angels that still stood with him. Fallon and Hawl of Leopard-9, armour chipped and marred by impacts, bolters spitting fire at the Eaters. Solon of Leopard-5, chainsword snarling despite the damage sustained by chewing through Astartes warplate. And Samiel of the Blooded, cold and collected, striking down Eaters with every shot. Five Astartes, five Angels holding this concourse against the score of Eaters advancing towards them. The bodies of several other Angels already lay strewn along the concourse, crimson armour sundered and dulled with dust.

This was madness. This was chaos.

The roar of bolter-fire was almost constant now, the air stinking of fyceline and cordite, the sharp tang of Astartes blood heavy on the tongue. The Eaters streamed forwards in numbers, already lost to the Nails, their bolter-fire heavy but unfocused. The Angels fell Eaters with every burst of fire, concentrating rounds on the lead Astartes until they fell before switching to the next. It had kept them alive this far, but time was running out. Caught by several rounds whose impacts spun him into the open, Solon was cut down by more fire that splintered and cratered his warplate, rich Angel blood misting into the dust-laden air.

Closer now, the Eaters sprinting, crashing against each other in their unseemly haste to spill Angelic blood. Chain-axes and gutting blades replaced bolters in hands, Samus-pattern helms blaring guttural cries and roars as the Traitors closed. The Angels fought in silence, all too aware that their end was near. At an unspoken command they began to fall back, firing from the hip and readying blades. Nemet Khyr could feel the Rage building inside him, could see the same in Fallon and Hawl, fed by the combat-stims pumped unceasingly into his veins.

The Eaters were almost on them now, close enough to smell the stink of the gore clotting their armour and weapons. A brief second of calm fell, the cacophony of war falling mute as the Angels raised blades in the face of the Eaters assault. The traitors roared, stretching the last few metres, only to be punched aside by a gale of bolter-fire. Ceramite shattered and splintered as the Eaters staggered and were pushed back by a line of crimson armoured Angels braced behind ornate shields. Chainaxes and blades bit ineffectually at shield-faces, spewing broken teeth and shards of steel as the Angels pushed again, nine of them shoulder to shoulder punching bolt shells into the Eaters at point blank range. The tenth Angel stepped in behind them, plumed helm nodding in acknowledgement to Samiel of the Blooded. A vox-link clicked open, a heavy growling voice addressing the battleworn Angels.

"Back to the market square children, the Third Consul rallies Seraph there. Go, and fight on another day."

Fresh roars and bolter-fire heralded the arrival of more Eaters at the far end of the concourse, this time supported by a towering Contemptor, missiles already belching from the bloated pods attached to it. The sound of their assault was an almost physical thing, the rippling explosions of missiles carving up the concourse towards the thin line of Angels. Kulen Sha, named Zeruel, snorted in disgust and clenched the heavy powerfist incasing his right hand.

"Go. The Ophanim will hold this breach. Tell the Third and Seraph how we died."

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/eaters_zps710d2e2b.jpg
Twelfth Legion forces advance through the concourses of the AnMonal subdistrict

***memory core access rescinded: auto-quill disengaged

Evening all, thanks for continuing to swing by.

Anaziel - glad to have you along fella

Candleshoes - a fine steak dinner is always good, being a hostage vegetarian I've forgotten what one tastes like.... And thank you for the kind words about my fluff, good to know its going down well :)

Muggs - thanks fella, models of the Ophanim will be coming, as soon as I can resolve the shield issue.

Kizzdougs - much appreciated man, glad you like everything. The Blooded will be painted up eventually, just whet your appetite on everything else ;)

In other news, the first five Tactical Angels are fully done now. Pics and fluff will be coming soon, most likely tomorrow I think. But, to sate all your thirsts for the sons of the Ninth Legion, here's what I converted up today:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140908_143508_zps6ee9e08a.jpg

I won't lie, I am enjoying the Blood Angels a whole hell of a bunch.

I won't lie, I am enjoying the Blood Angels a whole hell of a bunch.

And for that, we are grateful.  :)

As usual, awesome work man. Whose World eaters were those earlier? Yours? I'd love to see some close ups of em.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140908_143508_zps6ee9e08a.jpg

This guy, love him, pose is brilliant, lots of momentum, and the head works so well.

As always the background you posted up (was a little behind) is fantastic. Those World Eaters look good to, do you have any other pics of them?

Damn chaps, thanks for all the replies and kind words.

Barabbas Sogalon - thanks mate, much appreciated. That most recent Vet might share something of your name as well.

1000Heathens - hah I shall try not to let your gratefullness go unrewarded. The World Eaters belong to my fellow Warbasterd, the Fabricator General. I shall poke him to get a plog up and running with more pics. His stuff is beautiful.

Marshal2crusaders - Ah are you on the Crusade & Heresy group? You should drop me a message or chums request. And thanks, I think every marine I've seen with that chainsword has it held like a baseball bat, but I reckon it looks much better like that.

Candleshoes - thanks man, gald to hear that momentum comes across. Any furs in the army will indeed be leopard, proper old-school Blanche style. 

Demon2027 - cheers fella, I think the head might actually be a Space Wolf one, albeit given a shave. As mentioned above, the Eaters are Fabricators - poke him to put some more up.

Anaziel - good memory, Demeter did indeed have a big ole chainsword. I think that and the Palatine body will say EC, until I get some red on him.

Darth Potato - haha lookit him dance :) Good to know you're enjoying things so far.

Fabricator General - thanks man. And yeah, the chap who did the Eaters is a prince amongst men ;)

Keith - hah I'm painting as fast as I can. Pics of the first 5 painted Tactical should be coming soon...

Right, those bloody Tacticals. Pics are done, I just need to get the fluff sorted. Hopefully I can get that done tonight, but need to take a break in a bit to have a cuppa and watch some Walking Dead with the wifelet. Fingers crossed I can get some nice stuff up for you later on tonight.

Thanks again everyone :)

Reflections of their Father - the Mailed Fist

"How shall the burial rite be read?
The solemn song be sung?
The requiem for the loveliest dead,
That ever died so young?"

Fragment from the lost Pre-Unification works of Edal Len’Po, circa late M1.

"It was the assault legionnaries of Seraph that bore the brunt of the Eaters assault, unsurprising really, seeing as they matched the Eaters blade for blade, rage for rage. Aye, they bled the most, and the hardest. It was the tactical legionnaries that Seraph rallied around, that formed the steel spine of what was left of the Company. Legionnaries that held the line again and again, without thought of glory or prestige, only thinking of spitting their hate and rage into the face of the traitors and making them pay. You wish to find heroes in this dark time? Look to the tactical legionnaries my friend."
From Blood on the Steel: the lives of Seraph
Bastian Ortega, once named Icarium, of the IXth Legion Astartes.

*Image Codicium accessed: uploading from visual cortex

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140908_143601_zpsa32e36da.jpg

Fireteam Secundus, Leopard-9 Tactical of Seraph Company, IXth Legion Asartes

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140908_143719_zpsffa473f2.jpg

Legionnaries Tiest and Suron. It is strange, I carry their entire lives in my head, yet I never spoke to them when they lived. I know that Tiest died in agony, chemical fire eating away at his warplate and flesh even as he throttled the breath from an Eater. I know that he created beautiful artificed sections of armour such as his pauldron, and that serving as an Angel was the thing he was most grateful for. He was quiet, even in death.
Suron, on the left, was always laughing, always in good humour. When the Eaters took him, chainblades chewing through his guts, he laughed as he detonated his grenades. We saw the explosion from two streets away, heard his laughter across the vox before it cut.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140908_143747_zps37e640db.jpg

Rasmus died early, the second day of the Fall, and died poorly. A strange thing to say, considering the circumstances, but there are more glorious ways to pass than being crushed beneath the wreck of an Eaters Rhino. His heavy Phobos bolter barely spoke in anger before his end. As I say, a poor way to die.
Legionary Fallon, a son of Terra. One of the few left amongst Seraph, Fallon was a source of strength for all of us, ever balanced in his humours. The Rage took him in the end, as it did for many of Seraph. He died a snarling, furious, blood-sheathed warrior, bludgeoning Eaters to death with the ruin of his bolter and his fists. We were the poorer for his passing.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/20140908_143814_zpsa7055464.jpg

Paragon was a relatively unused rank amongst the Angels, similar to squad seconds amongst the Thirteenth. We called them Paragons because they were supposed to represent the best of us, those who would ascend and ascend and one day lead the Legion. Nemet Khyr was, according to his memories, a good man. He wrote poetry of the most exquisite melancholia that no mortal outside of the Legion will ever see. Despite injury, he defied the Eaters until the end of the Fall, was one of the last to fall to the Rage and to die. I saw him transfixed upon several iron lances and raised up by the Eaters, even as he clove one of their helms in with a blade. Holding his life in my head, I can see where he would have taken the Legion, what glories he would have wrought and I weep for what we lost.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Fall%20of%20Seraph/pads_zpsf91eb411.jpg

*Insignium Angelus:
We are a Legion of artists souls in the bodies of warrior-gods and our warplate reflects this. Our Legion symbol, alabaster wings raising a blood-drop, can be represented in simple purity or fine sculpture. As a son of Terra, Fallon replaces the wings of our Lord with an onyx saltire, representing the darkness of Terra from which the Angels first walked.

*Image codicium access revoked: Visual cortex showing stress markers

Archived