Call for War, Callius' VII Legion, 5/11 Spartan finished!

Greetings Brothers!

I've finally gotten around to starting a heresy era legion and the choice fell on Dorns finest. I mean come on whats not to like? Siege warfare, Breachers, Sigismund, awesome fluff and best of all: Templars! Seeing as I play a Black Templars succesor in 40K it seemed only fitting that I went back to the roots in 30K...

So this will be my log of the journey into the heresy for me and as such I will update it when ever I get some work done. My job keeps me away from home alot so progress will be slow at times but this log is just meant as a place for me to get other peoples opinions and to keep honing my skills as a painter, and of course have fun.

I will make my own battle company with all the bells and whistles that entails. Im in the process of sketching it all out at the moment.

Here's a litle teaser of what the test scheme evolved into:

gallery_58716_9901_215729.jpg

I did this tester for me to better judge the Imperial Fists paintscheme and to see what all the fuss about yellow was about:

gallery_58716_5536_39842.jpg

After this I was sold to the Imperial Fists and I made some orders from Forge World and group of other sites to get my heresy addiction going.

On arrival I took a group shot just to see what I was getting into. (theres still some more bases on the way from Dagon Forge but there is a small back log and they won't show up before next month i think)

gallery_58716_9901_85968.jpg

And as such it looks like I got my work cut out for me. I will begin the process of going through it all to make sure theres no faults or anything and then I will get on to the washing. (which may take a while whith all this)

This was all for this time and hopefully in the next post I will have washed and cleaned it all so I can get going on my legion.

++EDIT: THREAD HEADLINE++

Edited by Brother Callius

Glory to the VII indeed! Looks like you have some quality kits there brother, you should be able to produce some quality crusaders with that cornucopia of bits!

For reference, could you post a pic of that Secret Weapon mesh next to a marine? I want to see how small the grating on it is. Also, you might want to move this to the work on progress section.

Edited by The_Chaplain

Promising stuff there... The test marine awesome - the yellow is very well handled.

Can't wait to see all this stuff taking form, so good luck there.

If is is going to show your WIP it'll be better if I move it to the WIP section. If you intend to show only completed work then it's totally fine to stay here. Just let me know. :)

Thanks alot, Im glad you like the colours Semper.

On second thought this thread do belong in the WIP section, I did plan on only posting finished minis but I would like to keep my brothers in the loop of ongoing projects. As such if you would please move the thread, cpt. Semper I would be most obliged :)

Hello again, time for a small update...

Ive been very busy in real life and haven't had as much hobby time as I would like. The main cleaning and washing of my pile of resin is planned this saturday so I will update again on sunday or so. In the meantime to satisfy my heresy craving I've been hard at work on making a test base for my army. The theme I'm going for is urban (as is practically mandatory for 30K). But instead of just dark grey and black bases I tried to make a more desert/ arid style with dark concrete or the like with light earth tones for the ''roads'' as seen on the FW realm of battle here. Since this is the first time I try anything other than dirt and grass on a base I was immensly pleased with the result but you be judge on that:

gallery_58716_9901_100895.jpg

Please let me know what you think, and thanks for reading!

Thanks Soric, we could always use more masters of siege warfare ;)

The base is part of the city rubble set from Anvil Industry. I plan on mix and match between bases from Anvil Industry, the Dragon Forge and the Imperialis kit.

This is my first ever attempt at any fan fiction/ fluff and english is not my main language so plese bear with me...

+++Incoming Transmission+++

+++Designation: Legiones Astartes VII - 52nd Regiment - 104th Battalion - 41st Company ''The lions of Terra''+++

+++Company Command: Castellan Emmerich Bhalen, The hero of Strokian+++

+++Veteran Squad ''The shieds of Terra'': Brother-sergeant Ulrich, Brother Theobald, Brother Wilhelm, Brother Albrecht and Brother Godric+++

+++Company demographic: High amount of initiates from the germanic plains on Terra, ancient germanic names common+++

+++Accounts from the liberation of Strokian 002.M31 follows+++

On the third hour of the fith day salvation is coming

The hour had not yet past midnight but the perpetual light of the sun was toying with the mind belonging to the men of the Strokian PDF and Tysh did not know the exact time. It was his first time so near the planets northern pole and he had heard tales of men going insane and being driven to murder, cannibalism and other gruesome acts all by the power of sunlight. It had been over four days since the planetary government had called for the support of holy Terra, the answer had come with a promise of help from the nearest fleet some five days away. He had heard the Commissars whisper among themselves that the nearest fleet was of the VII Legiones Astartes but Tysh was not sure whether to dread such notions or to cherish the thought of seeing such beings of power exact the Emperors judgment on their enemy.

For four days and nights Tysh with what remained of his regiment had been holed up in an old fortress near the planets north pole in the hope of rescue. Just ten days ago the Imperial capitol on planet Strokian was besieged by xenos forces. Tysh remembered seeing them for the first time, they looked frighteningly similar to humans but their movements were much more fluid and graceful. Even their tanks where stylish and skimmed across the battlefield on anti-gravity fields. Tysh had heard of them before, tales of other worlds besieged by a xenos race designated by the Imperium as the Eldar. But he never truly understood their power until he was faced with their overwhelming speed and technology. The Eldar had taken the capitol in a matter of days and the fighting had been brutal, the regiment Tysh was part of had been ordered to retreat not far to the north, near the pole where an ancient fortress stood. Among his regiment holed up in the keep were laborers, aristocrats and civilians from every aspect of life. Even the planetary governor who now resided in the keeps top two floors had seen it fit to retreat.

Tired and over-worked as he was Tysh was still a serviceman in the Strokian PDF and he had kept a tally of the xenos laid low by his trusty las-carbine. He and the other servicemen in his unit had a wager going on who would rack up the most xenos kills, and the winner would get paid drinks in their local waterhole by the other men. This was a thought that helped keep morale up and even though his comrade’s tally’s fluctuated in kills every time he spoke to them this was a game of honour, so he took their word as authenticity of their deeds.

Tysh was woken from a sweet dream (one of the few) as the alarm bells tolled over the fortress walls.

He leapt to his feet and got his equipment from the floor, he ran over to his buddy Ruddi and woke him up. Together they ran to the courtyard where they saw chaos and confusion reigning on the ramparts. A commissar ran up to them and screamed some nonsense about being late and where it not for the battle he would have shot them himself. The pair was ordered up on the easternmost ramparts where there were only a handful of men shooting into the fields below. As they climbed to the top of the stairs Tysh saw what was unfolding in the polar night. The Eldar had apparently tracked them to this fortress and was now besieging the walls seeking to eradicate the people who had eluded them in the capitol. Tysh shouldered his las-carbine and poured volley after volley of burning hot lasfire into the Eldar warriors below. Even though the fighting was heavy he knew that the xenos had more troops in reserve as this force was much smaller than the initial attack on the capitol.

His rifle clicked empty and Tysh ducked down and slit a fresh las-clip home in the receiver. No later had the assuring click come from his rifle than Ruddi spun around in a spray of blood and fell to the floor next to Tysh. Ruddi held his hand to the side of his neck where blood streamed through his fingers. His face was whitening and his eyes became increasingly distant, Tysh gripped Ruddi's free hand and felt as the strength and life of his comrade slowly drifted away and soon he held Ruddi's limp hand in his. With a roar of anger and fury Tysh stood and fired without control into the xenos forces below. Within minutes Tysh had used all the ammo he carried and he felt a wave of sadness wash over him, his legs felt heavy and he dropped to the floor staring into his dead comrade’s lifeless eyes.

A sundering boom snapped him out of his self-pity and he looked around for the source of the sound.

He looked into the sky and saw a sight that replaced his sadness with hope as he saw hundreds if not thousands of yellow coloured drop pods scream from the clouds and impact with the ground in great billows of dust and flying Eldar. The pods where landing in the midst of the Eldar host smashing armoured vehicles and infantry with their momentum. The pods doors sprang open with controlled explosive bolts and out marched giants in great yellow battle plate adorned with the black fist of the VII legion and wielding weapons so massive in both size and destruction that Tysh was glad they were on his side. Within no more than an hour the Eldar was dead and the fortress liberated.

The main gate into the courtyard swung open and a party of yellow armoured astartes entered the courtyard. Tysh ran from the ramparts to the giant leading the party to show his gratitude and knelt before him. The armour of the massive figure in front of him was different from the others in that it was more ornate and a great crimson cloak hung from his massive shoulders. A black lions head adorned his right shoulder and Tysh realised that every one of the giants had the same lions head somewhere on their armour but he did not know the meaning. The massive figure in front of him looked down and said in a gritty voice through his vox grill: 'Rise serviceman of Strokian, there’s no need to kneel for me. I am but a tool of the Emperors righteousness'. Tysh shakingly got to his feet and found himself staring into the dark, battered yellow of the giant's breastplate. He looked nervously at the astartes as he removed the helmet. A kind face with the scars of many battles was hidden beneath it. The giant looked at Tysh with sky blue eyes and said: 'If you would please show me to your commander, we got a capitol to retake'.

Phew :sweat:, with that out of my system yesterday was washing day and Im glad thats over!
Heres a little pic of the ''production line'' I got set up, the Sicaran patiently waiting it's turn:
gallery_58716_9901_7719.jpg

If mother nature and my job wills it I will get the first model undercoated and finally start with the fun part of Forge World minis.
The first model will be the Rapier with Graviton cannon, so lets se how that will come together.

Thanks guys, glad you like it. As I said it was my first ever attempt at some fluff and as mentioned english is not my first language so I was afraid it would get to tacky but it looks as though it was well recieved so Im a happy camper.

I've got the Rapier undercoated and started the yellow layers so hopefully it will get mostly done in the weekend (still waiting for some transfers from Armorcast). I will post some pictures when I get enough progress so it's more pleasing to the eye than the base yellow...

Im thinking about doing a head and arm swap on the minis that go with the Rapier just to get a different look than normal. I still can't figure out why the bolter guy have a helmet crest as both crew are just legionnaires and not sergeants but maybe Im missing something?

I promised I would post some more pics when I got further and I would not be called a liar :wink:

I got the Rapier about 80% done, the things left to do is transfers, weathering, highlights and the like.

It's funny how I always thougth that FW supplied the parts needed for the kits they sell but the Rapier is missing something if one wish to make it as it's army list entry commands.

As said earlier one of the heads has a helmet crest even though both crew are just legionnaires but maybe that one guy did something really awesome and got a big hat as a reward.

The other thing I noticed is that the pointy guy has a bolter, but in the army list book the only weapon either of the guys can take is a bolt pistol so I gave my guy a Phobos pistol instead.

I know I'm really nitpicking here and FW do and have always produced waaaay better minis than standard GW. I think it's my OCD that says that if the rules claim the guy can't have a bolter then by the Emperor he will not get it, no matter how big of a scene he's making in the bolter aisle.

With my old man rant out of the picture heres the progress I've made in the weekend, from this:

gallery_58716_9901_147119.jpg

To this:

gallery_58716_9901_97567.jpg

It's funny how I think my minis look like only their mother could love them until they get banged up and rolled through the mud. The only decent yellow is a dirty and tattered one...

The only limiting factor in the completion progress of this kit is that I need my transfers from Armorcast.

We would not want to field a Rapier without it's company markings now would we?

Till next time brothers! (And sisters!)

• 3 weeks later...

So with no decals as of yet the list of things to do on my Rapier is growing increasingly short.

I've finished everything as much as possible with only the parts to recieve the company markings left. The crew and the shield thingy is the odd ones out.

The sides, rear and gun of the Rapier is complete with chipping and weathering done. Personally Im quite pleased with the results as it's the first time I tried the sponge technique but what is the verdict from you guys? (I just noticed that I forgot the inside of the wheels, so theres a litle more I can do before the decals... )

gallery_58716_9901_124222.jpg

Im taking part in a massive international military exercise in Norway from thursday until the start of october so I won't be able to make any progress.

But hopefully when I get back home there will be some decals from the US-of-A waiting for me and will be able to get cracking!

• 4 weeks later...

I've finally returned home after some long weeks in Norway, and I feel for any Warhammer fans up there as everyhing is expensive beyond reason and I do not dare to guess the GW stores prices there...

But on the more cheerful note; the Rapier and crew are finally finished as I got my missing decals just before coming home and now the lions of Terra can actually have a lion as heraldy.

The battered and war torn look suits the yellow armour very nicely in my opinion and I am overly pleased with the finished result and I hope you guys enjoy my latest work.

I present to you Rapier Sigma-1-Alpha armed with a Graviton cannon and the crewmen Adalherd and Halweig:

gallery_58716_9901_118166.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_115906.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_96401.jpg

And thats all folks, next will be the Contemptor which I am looking forward too like a kid before christmas :biggrin.:

++EDIT: New Photos++

Thanks a million to you guys for the kind words, it's always nice to see ones hard work appreciated...

With my job taking up alot of time these days the Contemptor has been pushed to the weekend where I will start two weeks of vacation and I have already stamped those weeks with Fists and heresy. But untill then I have written a fluff piece on the Contemptor who's waiting patiently for the weekend.

I have always found it intriguing what goes on inside a dreadnought, what does the astartes think and is his personality still in there somewhere?

So this fluff try to show how I think the wounded legionnaire feels and at the same time it opens up to where the 41st company is fighting at the moment of building and as such it shows where in the timeline they are suposed to be. Hope you enjoy it!

+++Incoming Transmission+++

+++Designation: Legiones Astartes VII - 52nd Regiment - 104th Battalion - 41st Company ''the lions of Terra''+++

+++Subject: Honoured Brother Mannfreid ''the righteous'', contemptor pattern dreadnought+++

+++Case: The battle of Artosis 006.M31+++

Only the true sons of Terra will stand fast

The embarkation deck on the strike cruiser ''Strength of honour'' was awash with noise and commotion. Hundreds of drop pods stood side by side like a forest of adamantium and steel, further down along the deck stood the thunderhawks and stormbird drop-ships preparing for launch. The power on display could have taken a planet thrice over, and it was a dire situation that called for the application of such force. The deck creaked as brother Mannfreid made his way towards his drop pod, the Contemptor pattern combat walker he had been entombed in was almost like an extension of his own mangled body. The cumbersome feeling he had first felt as he was awakened had worn off battle by battle and he felt strength surging through his body with every step he took.

Mannfreid reached the drop pod on rack 78-Lima and was greeted by a tech-priest and several legion serfs who attended the pods activation, he made his way carefully into the pod and turned to face the opened door. ‘Initiate the grav-harness and spool the engine for launch’ spoke a voice devoid of any trace that the speaker had once spoken through a throat of flesh. The tech-priest looked at Mannfreid with eyes hidden under a heavy crimson hood and spoke again, this time in binaric chant and the door to the pod began to close. The grav-harness came down and clamped onto the back and shoulders of Mannfreid’s bulky frame, the darkness and his own thoughts where now his only company until the pod broke open on the world far below.

The adamantium walls began to rumble as the pod made its way to the launch bay. There in the dark he stood alone and immobile as the grav-harness held his ceramite body in place and his thoughts began to drift.  He thought of the day he was wounded and had been destined to serve his remaining days in the body of a Contemptor pattern dreadnought. The fateful day had been a day of bloodshed and intense battle. Mannfreid had been a veteran sergeant at the time and had led his squad through the rubble of the main settlement on a backwater planet not yet under Imperial government. Even though the majority of the populace had been pacified there where still pockets of resistance who fought fiercely. Mannfreid's squad was tasked with reinforcing a reconnaissance squad who had been detected and was now under heavy enemy fire. As he was traversing a fallen pillar not far from his destination he had caught a burst of fire from a primitive form of autocannon in his right arm and lower torso, his body where left a crimson ruin by the devastating firepower and his primary and secondary organs fought to keep him alive. Was it not for the sheer strength and determination of Mannfreid he would surely have perished, luckily the apothecary attached to that section of the forces where not far away and with his treatment and the swift evacuation Mannfreid was saved but not much of him remained. The abrupt silence and the seizing of rumbling shook Mannfreid out of his chain of thought and a visual countdown began, showing the few seconds untill drop.

The pod began moving again but this time in a downward direction and Mannfreid felt his mass shift as the drop pod accelerated towards the world below. His thoughts once again lapsed into reminiscence. One of the things he found himself missing was the comradery between friends who have fought side by side against the enemies of man. Being entombed in a dreadnought sarcophagus was both a blessing and a curse; the feeling of might and power radiating from the walker chassis was second to none save for perhaps the Knights or the Titans. On the other hand he felt alone as he spent months in slumber hooked into his docking cradle in the bowels of the ship. Even when he was awakened there where no one save the other dreadnoughts, the maintenance crew and of course the Tech-priests, and the banter between friends from his former life was part of days long gone. Mannfreid forced the thoughts of pain and loneliness to the back of his mind and found solace in the fact that he could still serve the Emperor even after what had happened to him.

The rumbling of atmospheric entry faded and he knew there where only seconds until he would tread on the world known as Artosis and face off against a foe he never imagined he would fire upon. The planet of Artosis where inducted into the Imperium by the Imperial Fists many years ago during the great crusade but reports of warriors from the IV legion attacking Imperial fortifications was almost to terrible to be true. Mannfreid had never fought alongside the Iron Warriors but knew Perturabos legion to be aggressive and cold hearted but still, to turn upon on your own kin where a terrible act of treachery. The news of Horus’ betrayal had reached the fleet of the 52nd regiment only weeks ago and just days before arrival at Artosis they had been told that the sons of Perturabo was landing planet-side and attacking the hive cities.

Even though Mannfreid had never shirked his duties to mankind the idea of fighting fellow astartes was absurd and he dreaded the bloodshed in the hours to come when humanity’s finest where pitted against one another. But if the reports where true then the Iron Warriors had turned their back on the Emperor and deserved nothing less than annihilation and Mannfreid would gladly bring the judgement of doom to them. The drop pod hit the ground hard, the grav-harness released Mannfreids ceramite body and the doors blew open with a loud boom. The sunshine of a late afternoon shone brightly into the pods interior and Mannfreid stepped out of the safety, ready to bring death and destruction to the traitors, with a purpose in life once again he spooled up his assault cannon and marched into the jaws of the Great betrayal.

One thing I would like to say is that although GW fluff state that dreadnought drop pods dont have internal harnesses I can't imagine the dreadnought should just try to keep his balance while plummeting towards the ground. I find that a bit absurd and as such I have added a grav-harness in my written fluff, call it creative tweaking...

By the way SanguiniusReborn, that sketch or even that entire show is the funniest thing ever :laugh.: