Call for War, Callius' VII Legion, 5/11 Spartan finished!

Small sunday update:

The body of the tank and the sponson mounts are now done (not counting the tracks which will be painted last) and I'm moving on to painting the sponsons themselves and the lascannons.

I have magnetised the sponson mounts but the magnets I've used might not be strong enough, so we'll see if they fall off once they're complete :sweat:

I'm thinking of wheter or not I should add some black panels/ parts on the back of the sides since all the black panels are on the front part so far but then again the fist that's going on the side doors will add some black. So for now I'm calling the body done sans the tracks...

gallery_58716_9901_84580.jpg

You are an inspiration brother! Your model and paint work is nothing short of amazing. I'm especially impressed with the weathering. You make it look like your army has been in the field for weeks. Weathering of that extent often looks over-the-top. Yours is perfect. I'm especially apprecative of your dedication to this post. It has helped me immeasurably with my own work. Keep up the good work:thumbsup: 

You are an inspiration brother! Your model and paint work is nothing short of amazing. I'm especially impressed with the weathering. You make it look like your army has been in the field for weeks. Weathering of that extent often looks over-the-top. Yours is perfect. I'm especially apprecative of your dedication to this post. It has helped me immeasurably with my own work. Keep up the good work:thumbsup:

Wow, thanks alot man!

It's very humbling to hear such praise, I have wondered lately if my Fists where too weathered since it can be a bit extreme but I'm very pleased to hear that most people think otherwise.

It's great to hear that you have found my blog helpful and I would love to see your minis :biggrin.:

The weathering on your medels massively compliments the poses you have going on. It certainly does look as if they have been slogging it out for some time. Look forward to seeing the spartan finished

Thanks brother, that feeling is excactly what I am going for on these, and I myself is also looking foward to seeing the finished spartan :thumbsup:

A little bit of black plating, or a stripe down the rear door maybe?

I have had that idea myself but I was not completely sure but I have tried it anyway and it looks much better now. I hope you think so too...

But I can't wait untill the weathering is done as I think the lines are way to tidy and clean :sweat:

gallery_58716_9901_105795.jpg

Edited by Brother Callius

• 2 weeks later...

The Spartan is now all done and ready to deliver my termies right on the traitors door step :wink:

gallery_58716_9901_252580.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_592809.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_9742.jpg

It will probably be a while before I finish my next minis since I am having a small crisis of faith pertaining my fists.

While I really love the way the battered infantry look I am not sold on the vehicles which I think is too dark and a bit too messy.

Basically I am beginning to feel that my weathering is just an excuse to cover up some mistakes and a way for me to take the easy road when painting.

I feel that my painting skills are beginning to stagnate since I am not challenging myself to paint better when I only paint very weathered minis.

So now I have to decide whether I should start over on my fists with less weathering or if I should start fresh on another legion or mechanicum/ solar auxilia.

Hopefully I can come to a decision that can help me feel better when painting since right now I feel as though the weathering is my excuse for a sub-par paintjob :sad.:

If you want a "clean" Legion, the Emperor's Children are an excellent choice. :thumbsup:

That said, I really like the work you've done so far and look forward to seeing whatever you share with us next!

Thanks man, there are still some fists left since I want to finish up the minis that I have lying around.

I have not decided on a legion or anything since it's not a decision to take lightly for me but I am strongly considering the EC which was among my top 5 legions when I decided on IF :happy.:

i like your weathering style myself , it makes them look like they have been fighting hard for a long time, and when your ducking traitor and xenos fire you don't have time to wash your armour anyway :biggrin.: But in the end you have to do what feels right for You.

Edited by TokenTank19

The weathering effects are heavier than I prefer, but I'm glad to see the quad lascannons are in pristine condition- that means your Imperial Fists are performing regular maintenance on the vehicle, ensuring it is ready to kill enemies of the Imperium, like any good son of Dorn. (Yes, I consider Astartes combat vehicles de facto battle-brothers, like a son of Ferrus Manus.)

i like your weathering style myself , it makes them look like they have been fighting hard for a long time, and when your ducking traitor and xenos fire you don't have time to wash your armour anyway :biggrin.: But in the end you have to do what feels right for You.

Thanks brother, I still have some fists to do before I make my decision but no matter what I choose I will keep this army and will probably continue to add to it although at a slower pace :happy.:

The weathering effects are heavier than I prefer, but I'm glad to see the quad lascannons are in pristine condition- that means your Imperial Fists are performing regular maintenance on the vehicle, ensuring it is ready to kill enemies of the Imperium, like any good son of Dorn. (Yes, I consider Astartes combat vehicles de facto battle-brothers, like a son of Ferrus Manus.)

One should never neglect the importance of a well maintained firearm when bringing swift doom to the traitors :cool.:

You know my stance on this, I think!

Spartan looks great, can't wait to see it parked on a mound of Traitor corpses next weekend!

Yeah I kind of guessed what your take on this was :biggrin.:

But I promise to not discard my boys in yellow no matter what the outcome is!