Call for War, Callius' VII Legion, 5/11 Spartan finished!

Glad you like it Flint. Of course I will add to it, I love doing fluff for my company but I find it hard not to sound too amateurish and trying to keep the style of GW is a bitch :wink:

So in this weekend Im sad to say not much has happened, I got the Contemptor undercoated and I must say that I've been using Vallejo grey spray primer for a while and it's absolutly perfect. It gets all the detail and a nice finish for paint to adhere to. Then I went on with the base layers of yellow for the armour and silver for the metal. (I know that theres no yellow in the pic but this was taken prior to painting)

The base is from Dragonforge and the detail on it is amazing, I plan on doing the classic ''one foot on the wall and looking badass'' pose as this base is perfect for that.

gallery_58716_9901_128372.jpg

But more progress will happen in the coming week since I have vacation and by next weekend I hope to have Brother Mannfreid finished.

The Contemptor is moving along nicely and today I have begun the posing before I paint the finer details and touch ups.

All the different joints make this mini very versatile when it comes to the pose of it but at the same time theres alot of dry fitting before commiting to gluing, just to make sure that the finished result is as planned...

Here is brother Mannfreid sans arms and head, blu-tac'ed to the base to show the idea behind the pose:

gallery_58716_9901_296592.jpg

The pose looks quite static but once the arms and head goes on there will be much more character to his ancient form.

Till next time brothers and sisters!

Thanks Flint, I find that grey is the most suitable colour for my needs so far...

In todays work I have finished the base (minus the edge) and I am more than pleased with the end result.

gallery_58716_9901_704927.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_570919.jpg

The Contemptor itself is also moving fowards at a steady pace and the arms are almost assembled and only needing paint, but more to come!

As promised I have finished the Contemptor by this weekend and he is mr. bad-ass...

With this mini I tried my hand at blood effects with GW's Blood for the blood god paint and it's so easy to work with and gives amazing results.

And as such Brother Mannfreid now looks like he has smashed a traitorous Iron Warrior to a fine pulp...

Without further ado I present Honourable Brother Mannfreid ''The Righteous'' strait from the front lines of Artosis:

gallery_58716_9901_233982.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_45127.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_115671.jpg

And that was that for this time, hope you like him as I am very pleased with how he turned out.

The next project Im starting are either a 5 man Heavy Support squad with Lascannons or a Deimos Vindicator, Im not sure which.

++EDIT: New Photos And Base++

Edited by Brother Callius

@ Barabbas; Im much obliged, he is indeed awesome and he will strike fear in the traitors hearts :biggrin.:

@ Kizzdoug; Im glad you find it to your liking, the weathering technique using sponges is still new to me but I really like the results.

@ Flint; That is exactly the impression I was going for :wink:, even though you dont see too many loyalist with blood spatter all over them it fits him nicely.

@ Semper; Thanks for the praise Brother-Captain, The blood for the blood god gets a definite approval from me :thumbsup:

@ Deathspectersgt7; Thanks mate, it's very nice to see other people liking my newest addition to the VII Legion.

As Brother Mannfreid is now out slaying traitor Iron Warirors, I have room once again for a new project...

Im currently getting a five man Heavy Support squad with Lascannons ready for priming, the only thing in my way is the weather.

I suspect the Denmark weather is being corrupted by Tzeentch as everytime im getting ready to spray it begins to rain :censored:

But if the weather wills it I will be getting on with these bad boys in the coming week, I will of course update as new progress is made...

Nice work Brother Callius! The Contemptor has turned out great! I'm very jealous... Your idea for a beaten up, battered Imperial Fist force fighting through an arid urban environment is pretty close to what I'm going for with mine, but yours just look so good! 

Nice work Brother Callius! The Contemptor has turned out great! I'm very jealous... Your idea for a beaten up, battered Imperial Fist force fighting through an arid urban environment is pretty close to what I'm going for with mine, but yours just look so good!

Thanks StruManChu, praise from another Fists painter is always welcome.

I've taken a look at your thread and those minis are looking spectacular indeed.

You dont see too many urban bases in an arid style these days, so maybe we're starting a new trend with this, seeing as it's an awesome idea especially for lighter colour minis...

I've started work on the grey fellows that make up a Heavy Support squad and got them primed today (first day of sunshine in quite a while)

Here they are just before spraying, I've added a torso and two heads from the Imperial Fists upgrade set just to add a little flavour:

gallery_58716_9901_335936.jpg

I will start assembly and paint tomorrow if things go as planned so until then, have a good one!

My project has reached a temporary hiatus as I have some issues with the lascannon set for these guys.

The problem is that there is still some mold release left on them and the primer flakes off after drying so I won't be able to paint them until I found a solution.

Even after several attempts with scrubbing and different temperatures of water the mold release wont budge and they still have that shiny look and paint just wont bite :furious:

I've tried several different remedies and nothing helps, I found out that Simple green is very effective at mold release but it's also next to impossible to get hold of in Denmark.

The danish distribution of it is handled by the french distributor so I have written an email to them asking how to get hold of it, so until they answer or I find a solution the project is on hold...

These Fists look like they've been through hell! Excellent weathering.

Your mold-release issues are unfortunate, I've experienced that myself. Have you tried a coat of matte varnish over the problem pieces? In my experience that sorts the issue and I  now routinely give resin parts a coat just in case they're not as clean as they look.

Hey buddy!

One thing I've found to help, back when I was painting dozens of chaos dwarves and got a little lazy with my pre-paint clean up. 

Try a layer of whatever matte varnish you use on the bare model. Right now I use GWs purity seal first (since I don't care if it frosts) then black primer, then carry on painting as normal. I'd occasionally try it over a completely unwashed model just to see if it worked, which came out just fine (though I'd always recommend a wash first.) And since the matte kind is so thin, you don't have to worry about it crudding up or obscuring your fine details. 

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the tips guys, I've ordered some of GW's purity seal so I can try it out for myself.

This is one of those annoying little issues that that just keeps on giving as I am now in the progress of checking my remaining FW resin for any residue I did not clear with the initial wash.

So now I will wait for the postman, and hopefully get this thread up and running again soon...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm back again!

Sorry for the hiatus, real life got in the way of the heresy (not everyday I get to say that). I've been busy with work and I also had some problems with the damned mold release FW use.

On that note I would like to say a big thank you to both Flint and Sockwithaticket, the purity seal has worked wonders for me and I am planning on spraying all my FW stuff with it before I hit it with undercoat.

The Heavy Support squad is coming along nicely and will be completed by the end of this year if nothing gets in the way (still have a three week military exercise in december).

So for now I  have written a new fluff piece on the squad and their involvment in the liberation of Strokian, so I hope you will enjoy it. This is the first time I try my hand at deeper character conversations than just one or two sentences, it was definitely harder than I thought.

+++Incoming Transmission+++

+++Designation: Legiones Astartes VII - 52nd Regiment - 104th Battalion - 41st Company ''The lions of Terra''+++

+++Subject: Heavy Support squad under Brother-Sergeant Valdheim's command+++

+++Case: The liberation of Strokian 002.M31+++

On the bodies of our enemies shall we build our legend

The barrel of Brother-Sergeant Valdheim’s lascannon was still warm to the touch as he and his squad made their way into the gaping maw of the waiting Thunderhawk gunship. The sun was high on the sky as it had been for the last two weeks of this engagement. The summer period in the arctic circle of Strokian was 3 terran months of perpetual sunlight, but even though the sun was ever present the temperature was still freezing and Valdheim was glad his power armour kept his body at comfortable temperatures at all times. The last two weeks had been filled with bloodshed as the 41st company of the Imperial Fists along with a detachment of the Imperial army had driven the Eldar raiders from the northern reaches of Strokian’s large singular landmass. As the xenos had retreated south towards the planetary capital they had reaped a bloody toll among the Imperials; Astartes and mortal soldiers fell before the Eldar’s advanced weaponry. The fighting had been tough but ultimately the unrelenting pace of Astartes warfare had claimed the victory.

Valdheim’s squad had performed admirably in the recent battles with numerous heavy kills and two downed Phoenix strike aircrafts. Brother Curr had even scored a lascannon hit on a Jetbike rider, vaporizing his torso and bringing the bike tumbling to the ground. The Thunderhawk’s front ramp was slowly closing as Valdheim’s squad took up positions along the three other Heavy Support squads already in the passenger bay. ‘Brothers, check your weapons and stock up on energy cells while you can. Great work today, all of you’. Valdheim said, as he removed his helmet. ‘And you Brother Curr, maybe we should just get you a bolter since you prefer the soft targets. What’s the matter? Afraid their tanks might shoot back?’ The squad let out a laugh that echoed through the hull of the gunship and the mood was lifted at the victory. Brother Curr, following his sergeant, removed his helmet and looked at Valdheim with a smile that said it all. They sat in their harnesses, like wolfs on a chain waiting to be unleashed. A deep thrumming began to build as the engines spooled up to take-off power. The gunship lifted off the ground and tilted upwards followed by a bass-note roar as the engines pushed the big craft skywards, building speed.

An interior view screen showed the landscape zooming past outside as they made their way towards the capitol. Valdheim looked to the opposite side of the interior where Brother-Sergeant Taris sat, staring intently at a scratched yellow helmet in his hands which featured a large black-sooted hole where the right optical lens used to be. ‘Who gave their life for the Imperium my friend?’ Valdheim asked carefully, not wanting to intrude on his friends solace. Taris looked up from the helmet and said softly: ‘Brother Lothun will not see the victory over these xenos filth. I should have known it was an ambush, damn it Vald he was the youngest Brother I’ve ever had in my squad.’ Taris turned the helmet over in his hands studying the damage from an Eldar Lasblaster; a xenos equivalent to a laspistol or multi-laser. ‘We spotted a Wave Serpent that had touched down just behind an old manifactorum, we thought it was alone.’ Taris let out a sigh ‘I ordered the men in position behind a large wall and gave the order to attack. I let the new guy; Lothun take the first shot as he had been itching for a kill, he never got the chance to shoot.’ Valdheim now saw that tears ran down his old friends cheeks. ‘Their bloody assault troops had been lying in wait on top of the manifactorum and we had taken position just below them. I practically signed the boy's death warrant, they came swooping down and within seconds Lothun was lying in a pool of blood, his head a crimson ruin. Was it not for two of our own assault squads I’ve would have lost my entire squad; they had been monitoring that sector for xenos and was just minutes away. They engaged the Eldar in close combat as the rest of my men took out the Wave Serpent before it could bring its weapons to bear on our position, it had of course been empty the whole time. Just a damn decoy’

Valdheim found himself lacking for words as he had never seen Taris like this before. ‘I swear we will make the xenos scum pay for their cowardly tactics my brother. I know you Taris, you would never endanger your own squad let alone walk willingly into a trap, you can’t blame yourself for this.’ Taris looked at Valdheim with a sense of pride in his features; he said nothing but smiled and gave him a courteous nod. The Thunderhawk was slowing down and dropping in altitude, they where nearing their destination. A dull thump shook the gunship as it touched down, the front ramp began to open and bright sunlight lit the gloomy interior. Valdheim released his harness and looked to his men, ‘okay squad get your weapons ready and let’s get going shall we?’ he said with renewed lust for battle and revenge. He stepped out into the freezing air and saw a grand sight before him; hundreds upon hundreds of Thunderhawks and Stormbirds where touching down on the outskirts of the great hive city. Tall towers and antennas reached for the skies among the mountains of the region, it was time to root the Eldar from this planet.

Valdheim walked over to Taris who was getting the remainder of his squad ready for battle. ‘Let’s see if these Xenos are as good as some say, and most of all lets avenge the untimely death of our brothers. Are you with me old friend?’ Taris looked at him with a fire in his eyes, ‘do you still have to ask if I’m with you Vald, when was the last time I turned my back on you?’ Valdheim took his friends words to heart, reattached his helmet and checked the vox communicator. He clapped Taris on the black fist on his shoulder, gesturing with a nod towards the city. ‘Let’s move out squad, and keep contact with squad Taris, let’s help them get some payback.’ A battle cry from his squad was the only affirmation he needed, and together the two old friends and their squads made their way towards the assembly area.

That was all from me for now, hope you enjoy the fluff as much as I did making it.

Until next time!

So, got some more done today.

The Heavy support squad is almost done, the only things left are the IF logos (which are a pain on the curve of the shoulder pads, even with micro-sol and -set) and the weathering/ highlights. The bases just need another black layer on the edges and then done!

I'll just leave this here:

gallery_58716_9901_226676.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again all!

I've just returned from the latest military excercise, and finally got some time with my beloved VII legion again.

The Heavy Support squad under Brother-Sergeant Valdheim's command are done and all ready for action. As predicted the Fist logos where a pain and required five layers of Micro-sol and some cutting before I was satisfied with the wrinkles on them. Where are the shoulder pads from Forge World when you need them most?!

But enough with the stalling, here they are:

gallery_58716_9901_86585.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_122001.jpg

Well thats enough ranting from one person so I just think I will end it here.

++EDIT: New Photos++