Call for War, Callius' VII Legion, 5/11 Spartan finished!

loving the cannons and the dirty yellow you have going! but If I may ask, your marines have rather muddy feet but their bases seem almost desert like. 

Are the bases finished?

• 2 weeks later...

'tis the season to be geeky...

I hope that everyone has had a great cristmas and that the Emperor brought you the warmachines you've all been wanting.

And now to something completely different:

I have now begun the work on my Vindicator with just the base layers added and I know it doesn't have that badass I-will-tear-down-your-walls-and-laugh-at-your-destruction look right now but that will all be fixed in due time. I am experimenting a bit with this one as I am trying to find the right balance of yellow and black without the black being to dominant. At the time of writing I am planning on painting the gunshield and exhaust covers black but that may change later on. But here it is now:

gallery_58716_9901_177287.jpg

As DimDim pointed out my bases where quite light and deserty compared to the dark feet of my astartes, and I had never actually noticed that myself until I heard it from him. That just shows you that it's always great with another pair of eyes and other peoples opinion if you want to better yourself.

And as such I have decided to go a tad darker for a more earth like feel. These base shenanigans come at a great time since it proberably wont be too long before GW gets the new base sizes out to everyone and I will then rebase my six completed marines on those. The only catch is that I have to wait until the thid party companies makes the new base sizes available, and then theres the issue of the Contemptor base which will not change in size (unless I am mistaken?) My dear Mannfreid is glued and pinned to that base so that may be a bit of a challenge :confused:

Have a great new year everyone! And try not to blow the Emperor of his throne...

As the 1st of january is often a quiet day without much in the way of activities I decided to spend some of it on the addiction that is 30k.

The Vindicator is coming along nicely but I got the urge to kitbash something so I went through all my 30k drawers of bits and got this little fella out of it, (still some cleanup to do).

I am thinking on using him as the sergeant for my tactical squad once I get that done...

gallery_58716_9901_94118.jpg

On another note; does anybody have any good webstores for decent bare heads?

I am running a bit low and it adds so much more character to a model to remove the helmet, although it makes zero tactical sense.

As nobody seems to have the urge to post in this thread I will keep it alive myself :wink:

Just kidding, I know many people are quite busy this season and not everyone can log on here every night.

But on to the main reason I'm posting again; the Vindicator Dorn's Fury is complete and I am reaching the halfway point of completion for my big FW order. This was the first real vehicle I've painted in the colours of the seventh and I did not find it to difficult, as long as you keep the layers thin everything will be fine. The only real problem I encountered is to be expected of FW products; Warpage. The top hull was warped like a boomerang and it took many dunks in hot water but in the end I got it quite straight. The sides where also bend but not nearly as much as the top and they straightened out quite easily.

But here it is in all it's battle torn glory:

gallery_58716_9901_217956.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_43584.jpg

It was a learning experience but the result is just as I want my fists, battered and beaten up but not broken...

As I am making good progress on the 41st. company I decided to take a group shot of the finished minis so far:

(really? this is all I managed to finish in about a half year?!)

gallery_58716_9901_347156.jpg

I apologize for the bases and board not matchig but this is the only display board I have and it's made for my 40k marines...

++EDIT: New Photos++

Edited by Brother Callius

As nobody seems to have the urge to post in this thread I will keep it alive myself :wink:

I know that feeling brother, I often wonder if I would need to post video of me doing something akin to riding a unicycle while juggling chainsaws and singlehandedly fighting off a bear to get posts.   But as you said, people tend to be busy, especially this time of year.

Your vindicator is just fantastic, the chipping, soot, etc. all convey the feel that this beast of burden has gone through hell and back-- rather than the parade ground clean so many players tend to paint in.   It's gritty, it's dirty, it's the way a tank should look-- even in the grim darkness of the far future.  If it's clean it ain't doing its job.

Yaay, 200 posts. Not that many I know, but still...

Now on to the things at hand: the next project I think will be the Sicaran, or maybe the Rhino. I will be painting the sergeant guy I kitbashed on the side, and my Tactical squad will probably be the last thing I paint since I want to give them the new 32mm bases, but I need either Dragon forge or Anvil industries to make some since my base making skills are not that good...

I might start on a new fluff piece in the process but we'll see.

Now, I guess a big thank you is in place:

@ Marqol: I am glad you like them, I really can't stand the bright yellow that GW Fists are painted, so I try to depict these guys in a brutal engagement against their sworn enemies; the Iron Warriors.

@ The_Chaplain: I was so close to post a video of me riding great whites off the coast of mexico, but then again I don't want to seem desperate :whistling: And thank you, I really think the war-torn look ''soots'' the seventh. See what I did there...

@ Helterskelter: Thanks mate, I try. I remeber how sceptical I was about using a sponge on my painted minis, but the end result is so much nicer.

@ DimDim: There was a time where you didn't want a Vindicator?! Get one, do it, do it!

@ Lionofjudah: The step to go all out on weathering is kind of a one way street, once you begin with the chipping and dirtyness if it didn't get the look you where after then theres a lot of work to get it back to pristine condition. But let's be honest a company of war machines in battle don't exactly have showroom finish. By the way my Vindicator is missing it's big brother and it won't stop nagging till I go buy one :wink:

@ Pearson79: Thanks a lot buddy!

@ Flint13: Awesome indeed, I try to balance the black and the yellow so theres not too much black to take focus away from the yellow and not too much yellow so that you loose the finer details, and it just looks like a yellow brick...

@ MagicMan: Is it wrong that I now want to have two of my Fists do a fistbump, I mean it is a part of their name, right?!

++Edit: Damn spelling!!++

Hi everybody! (In fake dr. Nick voice), time for a pre weekend update:

I have flipped a coin and it decided that I should build the Sicaran next, although I might have flipped it a couple of times to get the result I wanted :whistling:

When buliding the main hull I found it quite hard to find a way to glue it all together while still holding all the pieces from falling apart.

After some time trying different things and rethinking the build, I decided to use Loctite two part epoxy since the sides are basically just two big chunks of resin and I don't want my tank to fall apart when handling it.

My thought was that if the epoxy was good enough to hold my Reaver together, albeit with some pinning, it would hold my tank together just fine.

So I have cleaned all the components of flash, mold lines, etc and glued it all together and I also put a couple of vices on it to hold it together while it dries, and as such it should be ready for varnish and undercoating tomorrow. Here you can see the set-up in place:

gallery_58716_9901_219805.jpg

So with this rather boring post I bid you all farewell and have a great weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back again for some more 30k goodness...

I have started on my job again so progress will be slowed down significantly, but I'm not one to be deterred that easy.

The Sicaran is moving along nicely although not as fast as the last couple of minis due to some very long days at work.

The base colours are laid down in a couple of layers and I have begun the secondary colours and like the Vinidcator the location and amount of black is a bit of trial and error but I think I have it just right, although I'm not too sure about the black drivers section. I think that when it's all done it will look great but as of now I'm not too sure...

Well here it is in its middle stages of painting, I know theres alot of ''rough'' edges and wrongful brush strokes but this will all be taken care of in the touch up phase.

gallery_58716_9901_215949.jpg

My kitbash guy is coming along nicely aswell but I plan on hiding him until finished as I want him to be perfect, so he can be my new showcase/ motivational mini on my work area instead of sergeant Manny up there on the shelf to the left.

That is all for now, and by the way thanks to The_Chaplain and Operative for still checking out the not so exciting posts :thumbsup:

gallery_58716_9901_579307.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_548678.jpg

I love this 'new' version of the Vindicator (and yours in particular), but I'm not a fan of the tubular exhausts on this and other Diemos variant vehicles. Do you have any idea on how easy/hard it would be to replace the sides with GW plastic sides? Would it be a straight one for one swap, or would more in depth converting be required?

The side swapping really depends on which vehicle your going for, the FW sides are pretty much identical to the GW ones on the inside as they need to align with the standard hull.

The only problem being that the Vindicators sides has the top part that overlap onto the top of rhino chassis and thats where some the top hull rests on so I dont think you can do a easy swap there unles you use some plasticard to support the underside of the top hull.

The Predator is a different case as you can easily swap the sides without issues but then you will have to make do with the GW sponsons as the FW ones have a different setup, where they connect to the side of the tank rather than the top of the sides. But again that maybe fixable with some moddeling and plasticard.

Last but not least the Rhino is a straight one for one swap, there would be no issues in swapping the sides here other than the aesthetics, so it would be up to you.

Great work on the Sicaran so far, I'm just wondering after you've completed both the tank and your sergeant/ tactical squad when will you create the leader to unite your force or have you not thought that far ahead yet?

(I just can't wait to see what you'll do with a praetor/ Centurion with painting skills like yours)

Great work on the Sicaran so far, I'm just wondering after you've completed both the tank and your sergeant/ tactical squad when will you create the leader to unite your force or have you not thought that far ahead yet?

(I just can't wait to see what you'll do with a praetor/ Centurion with painting skills like yours)

Thanks mate, on the HQ front I plan on getting the praetor pack on my next FW buy some time in the future. I only have the tactical squad and their Rhino to do after the Sicaran but I am not sure if I should wait for the Imperial Fists command squad or not. That may be problematic though as those minis proberably won't be released for some time.

But either way I have to get Castellan Emmerich Bhalen to lead his company in battle :thumbsup:

It's time for a mid-week update!

Progress on the Sicaran is coming along nicely and I plan to have it done by sunday if the Emperor wills it.

The kit is really nice to work with and everything fits together perfectly, it might have someyhing to do with the model is still fairly new so the molds are not too old and worn.

Here the Sicaran's main hull and turret hull is almost done and only small adjustments left to do:

gallery_58716_9901_337837.jpg

The newest addition to my Fists have me trying a new technique on the lenses. I have always sucked at painting lenses and vision blocks, so they always end up looking like a solid slab of paint and not like a glass piece. With the new technique, results are much more believable and I am really pleased with the look. C&C welcome ( please bear in mind that they still need a gloss varnish and this was my first try)

gallery_58716_9901_133599.jpg

Now I will return to the bat-cave and get some finishing touches done for the night.