Daemonic Pact II

Uprising

gallery_29004_9303_341995.jpg

Hello Children of Chaos.

I have the pleasure and honour to announce the return of the Daemonic Pact event. The event is simply a modelling, painting and fluff writing challenge for everything chaotic.

What the vow involves:

• Signifying your participation (via a post stating as much in this very thread) in this grand endeavour by August 25th at 14:00 GMT (18:00 ETZ, 19:00 CTZ, 20:00 MTZ, 21:00 PTZ), which is when the event begins.
  • Daemonic Pact ends on September 25th at 14:00 GMT (18:00 ETZ, 19:00 CTZ, 20:00 MTZ, 21:00 PTZ)
  • You must post an image of the unpainted or base coated unit in this thread. Any questions on model current state, please PM me
  • You must post at least one image of the finished (painted and based) unit
  • Writing a short bio of that unit, no shorter than 150 words.
  • Writing a short background of your army, no shorter than 400 words(optional).

What is allowed:

• All units from:
    • Codex Chaos Space Marines
    • Codex Chaos Daemons
    • Chaos Codex supplements (Black Legion and Crimson Slaughter)
    • Horus Heresy range (traitors only)
    • Imperial Knights (Chaos Knight conversions only)
    • The Siege of Vraks army list
    • Codex Astra Militarum (to represent Traitors)
    • Tyrant’s Legion from Imperial Armour Volume 9
  • Conversions and count as are not only allowed, but also encouraged. PM for details and questions.

Update

You may vow multiple entry but you still only get one vote per category, and can not vote for yourself. Also If you fail to complete a following vow, then you fail all your vow.

Our winner of the 1st pact(Dark_Apostle_XVII) has declare he wish that any HQ entry or Champion upgrade be the theme this pact, and He will receive his wish.

The winner will be decide by your peers, everyone will get one vote for each group(Best overall, Best painted, Best fluff, Best conversion). YOU CAN NOT VOTE FOR YOURSELF! we may be back stabbers, but we have some pride.

What you earn:
You get a vow sig to start, choose only one

gallery_29004_9303_13404.png gallery_29004_9303_17441.png gallery_29004_9303_20710.png gallery_29004_9303_20747.png gallery_29004_9303_3337.png

Rewards:

If pass your vow you can add this signature: The Eye of the gods

gallery_29004_9903_36985.png gallery_29004_9903_3512.png

A poll with all the successful vows will be posted and the overall winner will get to use the Daemonhood banner.

(And has the honour of deciding the next pact theme)

gallery_29004_9903_53595.png gallery_29004_9903_10777.png

Best Fluff winner gets the Scribe of Chaos

gallery_29004_9903_62362.png gallery_29004_9903_2738.png

Best Paint Job winner gets the Artisan of Chaos

gallery_29004_9903_47525.png gallery_29004_9903_5398.png

Best Conversion winner gets the Dark Mechanicus

gallery_29004_9903_62011.png gallery_29004_9903_7404.png

But...if you fail you must add this banner to your signature until you complete a future Daemon Pact: The Spawn of Chaos

gallery_29004_9903_57076.png gallery_29004_9903_6554.png

Finally...

Have some fun with it.

I shall deal with the Gods once more! I enter my Chaos Sorcerer (uses Dark Apostle model as I do not like the Finecast Sorcerer and the model I would have liked to enter is too far progressed to even consider entering, despite being an awesome chance to get into the best conversion category. See link for anyone who is interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/122948524@N05/14905646733/).

Anyway, here is my submission photo, as you can see, the base had been basecoated and washed to seal the sand but as the rules state 'unpainted or basecoated' I assume this is acceptable as it makes for no real advantage and I still intend to drybrush a couple of layers on the base and add a few other painted details that will not be revealed until the fluff is finished.

14699092358_688f623436_n.jpg

Thanks again Uprising for organising this and good luck to everyone who participates.

If it's any help before Uprising replies. When I chose the category for this Pact I intended it to be a single character model. Whether that is a mighty Chaos Lord or a lowly Aspiring Champion is up to the entrant (even a special character).

So to answer question 1, yes, a single HQ is all you need.

As for question 2, unless it is a character dataslate like Belekor it doesn't really matter this time around because of the theme I chose. As, for example, helbrutes are not characters so their dataslates don't count this time however if you wished to paint Belekor or Cypher on their own it comes under the theme of characters so I'm sure Uprising would agree that is fine.

I'm interested in participating, but I have a quick question. - If I intend to entirely repaint a model rather than painting it for the first time, or paint a model consisting of some painted bits and some unpainted is that allowed? In this case the 'unpainted' pic would actually be a painted/partially painted pic, but all the paint would be completely covered in the final version.

I think it's probably fine (not wanting to speak purely for uprising). As long as it's basically completely different, I think it's acceptable.

I did that with my two Necrosius miniatures for the ETL. One was in better condition than the other, but still repainted both so that they were in my scheme. You wouldn't be able to tell after that it had been something different.

Awesome sauce, mate! Got a few questions though:

1. Does HQ theme mean that the participants have to do 1+ HQ model(s)?

2. Are Dataslates allowed, too? (= Cypher & the Fallen, Belakor, Helbrutes - I mean it could mean trouble for the writing part of the challenge)

1. Just Hq/champ squad not included

2.  Data-slates are allowed, as are special characters.  Now about the Helbrutes, if I remember you can take a squad of three and one is nominated as a champ?  If this right, then helbrute is OK. 

I'm interested in participating, but I have a quick question. - If I intend to entirely repaint a model rather than painting it for the first time, or paint a model consisting of some painted bits and some unpainted is that allowed? In this case the 'unpainted' pic would actually be a painted/partially painted pic, but all the paint would be completely covered in the final version.

Should be fine, just send me a picture to make sure. 

Remember guys, this challenge is for fun, and to get miniatures painted/showcase. 

Last details finished this morning, I now present my completed Sorcerer and accompanying fluff. Can't believe it took me only four days though, but then being back from uni means a lot of free time I guess. But even for those unsure of whether they have time to compete, I found it was best to have an idea of his name and what you wanted from his fluff beforehand as it makes the actual writing a lot easier. I spend the first few days taking notes of ideas between painting and wrote it all up in an hour or so yesterday evening. As for painting quickly, my process is:
Undercoat morning of day one, then basecoat everything if you have time later that day before finishing with a wash so it can dry overnight.
Day two, first highlights over the wash.
Day three, second (or final - I only do three layers) highlights.
Day four, final details, such as the script or base.

I also use a lot of time saving tricks such as drybrushing the silver highlights over the basecoat and wash instead of picking them out with a brush. This is messy and get silver all over the red armour but, if it is the first highlight you do, when you come to do the second coat on the red armour you can paint straight over it to cover.

Anyway, here is the finished Sorcerer:

Power of the Warp

"Knowledge is power, but power is nothing without purpose. You may hold in your hand the power to remake all things, but if you do not know what you would change, you hold nothing at all"

Akem Manah, Chief Sorcerer of the Word Bearers 30th Host; Diabolist Extremist and the Destroyer of All.

(For those who are interested, the inspiration for this name is of Ancient Middle Eastern Origin and comes from the Zoroastrian religion/philosophy. It translates to “manah (meaning mind) made evil” and symbolises “evil mind/purpose/thinking/or intention”. Furthermore, manah could be taken as the energy used to cast sorcery commonly used in fantasy RPG’s – often spelt mana. Either way, it represents the nature of the Word Bearers and Chaos Sorcerers)

Lightning split the sky, each fork red as blood, heightening the deep orange glow of a city ablaze. Screams still echoed from the dark streets; the screams of women, children and those left who would fight to defend them. A particularly shrill scream disturbed Akem Manah from his incantations, a smirk forming on his lips. He had missed the sounds of terror, the screams of the ‘innocent’; drowned out in the steady patter of Bolter fire and the war cries of the 13th Host as the raging Warp Storm engulfed the dying world.
“There are no innocents in this Long War”, he thought to himself, “even those who come to accept the truth by force are guilty of their own weakness, their shortcomings of faith; all others are condemned by their ignorance”. Banishing such base pleasures from his mind, Akem Manah returns his thoughts to the ritual at hand; hymnal chants drawing his attention to the centre of the room.

“Faith binds us, Hate fuels us, Vengeance drives us, Truth guides us…”

A congregation of Cultists had formed a circle before the defiled alter of the shrine of the Aquila, chanting in unison. In the centre, the star of Chaos had been painted in blood across the tile stone floor. Candles littered the room, and a continuous faint glow cast light on the gleaming blood of daemonic sigils that despoiled every surface of the building. Shadows leapt from the unnatural darkness that consumed the threshold, impenetrable by the flickering light of the candles as the storm swept through the collapsed roof of the shrine; not every shape cast with an identifiable owner.

Emerging from the shadows, the Sorcerer began to pace the room, every heavy boot fall of his ornate, rune engraved power armour echoing throughout the sanctum. Releasing the book from its chains at his side, Akem Manah began to read:
"Faith is the soul of any army; be it vested in primitive religion or enlightened truth. It makes even the least soldier mighty, the craven is remade worthy and through its balm any hardship may be endured. Faith ennobles all of the worlds the soldier undertakes be they so base or vile, and imports to them the golden spark of transcendent purpose."

The flickering candlelight illuminated his shaven head; it was gaunt, aged, his skin pale even by comparison to his fellow chosen of Lorgar. The Sorcerers black, soulless eyes revealed a man who had seen the horrors of the Warp and yet there was no fear; he rejoiced in its power, venerated it. It was his to control and his faith protected him. The shadows followed him from the darkness, roiling in the candlelight, the runes on his armour appearing to shift and reform as he continued to read from the Book of Lorgar:

"From the fires of Betrayal unto the blood of revenge we bring the name of Lorgar, the Bearer of the Word, the favoured Son of Chaos, all praise be given to him. From those that would not heed we offer praise to those who do, that they might turn their gaze our way and gift us with the Boon of Pain, to turn the Galaxy red with blood, and feed the hunger of the Gods."

“Faith binds us, Hate fuels us, Vengeance drives us, Truth guides us…” The ceaseless chanting continued as Akem Manah strode towards the circle only to fall deathly silent as he passed through them. The Sorcerer took his place in the eye of the circle, where all eight points of the Chaos star met; the shadows that stalked him falling away as he crossed the threshold. Circling the group the shadows weaved in and out of the Cultists as they became like statures surrounding the hulking, crimson clad figure in the centre.

Returning the book to its bindings at his side, Akem Manah prepared to utter the final words of the ritual, words he knew all too well now from countless summoning’s. Raising his arms towards the blood red sky he spoke, his voice booming, echoing through the ruined Shrine as though he had the very weight of the gods behind it.
“Lords of the Warp! Fathers of entropy, bloodshed, lust and change, I call upon thee! Grant us a portion of thy godliness, that we might reforge this day in your name!”

The ground beyond the congregation began to tremble and crack, leaving a perfect circle in the centre of the Shrine. One by one the candles began to flicker and fade away, their existence snuffed out in a moment and with every failing flame a ‘statue’ fell lifeless to the floor. With every sacrifice swelling their number, the speed at which the shadows danced intensified; entwining together, blending in and out of the growing darkness. A faint, eerie glow appeared from beneath the Sorcerers feet, emanating from the star of chaos that had begun to radiate green. Unbound from whatever had previously held them back, the shadows darted towards the glowing sigil, basking in its radiating glow.

His arms still raised triumphantly, the Sorcerer made one last proclamation to the heavens:
“This once proud world, a bastion of deceit and ignorance, has been brought to its knees in your names! The blood of its people spilt in sacrifice! We have shown them their faith is weak, misplaced. Come now! Heed my call! Send forth your legions to cleanse this world of their filth!” A smile crossed the Sorcerers face once again, “Show them the true power of the Warp!”

The glowing sigil burnt brighter than ever, penetrating even the pall of darkness that engulfed it as the shadows faded away. Then everything went black, plunging the Sorcerer into darkness. It was quite in the Shrine as the dust settled about Akem Manah, he had succeeded. Outside, the sky was riven by flashes of light and the crackle of energy as Daemons began to tear through the fabric of reality itself. The city’s fountains began to spurt blood as what remained of its vegetation withered ad died. Strangely seductive songs called out from the shadows, luring those unable to resist into the waiting jaws of nameless horrors within as the city itself began to warp and change. Doors appeared and disappeared, some never to be seen again, those who travelled though lost forever in an ever changing maze.

Above the shrine, the beat of leathery wings caught the Sorcerers attention as a bullish roar split the nights sky.
“BLOOD!!! For the Blood God!”

14728019667_9e2787263d_n.jpg 14891593286_f3679fa0d3_n.jpg 14727983558_22e087a2ec_n.jpg 14914606425_21a8839d51_n.jpg

And just as an extra (not included in the event) treat msn-wink.gif I painted this Chaos Familiar a little while ago to accompany the Sorcerer.

14728342759_3b36929edd_n.jpg

Sounds awesome, I'm in!

Can I post the pic of my model after the start date? (I'm waiting on parts in the mail)

If not it's totally fine, I have some other guys I could do instead.

Sounds awesome, I'm in!

Can I post the pic of my model after the start date? (I'm waiting on parts in the mail)

If not it's totally fine, I have some other guys I could do instead.

I am not super strict, I just want people to paint up awesome center pieces.  I say yes, but remember 25th of September  is the deadline for completion. 

Man, entry isn't even closed yet, and someone has a finished model already?  Geeze.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to enter this one.  I'm still kinda burned out from ETL, and I don't have any particular HQs that I'm super gung ho about painting atm.  Honestly, if I could gather any painting mojo, it should probably be spent on troops choices - some cultists, maybe rhinos for my marines....

Still, I'll try to see if I can dredge up a model to paint and the will to paint it by the 18th.

Wait... HQ or champion upgrade?  Maybe I do have a model that I could get behind.  Would a champion with a painted base, but otherwise still just black primed be 'unpainted enough to enter?  The model I'm thinking of is the bottom left guy in the first image of this post.  No painting progress has been made on him since then.

Still, I'll try to see if I can dredge up a model to paint and the will to paint it by the 18th.

You have till September 25th, 18th is deadline to say what your vowing. 

Wait... HQ or champion upgrade?  Maybe I do have a model that I could get behind.  Would a champion with a painted base, but otherwise still just black primed be 'unpainted enough to enter?  The model I'm thinking of is the bottom left guy in the first image of this post.  No painting progress has been made on him since then.

He is perfect, you may enter him if you wish. 

Whoop whoop! Stitches are out, bandage is off and I can bend my hand again, so count me in! I'll post up the pre photo when I get back from work.

I've been champing at the bit to get back into some painting so bring it on! :D

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/sangapics13/7738db79-e715-4d04-85b5-47b90b62ef20_zps9a1b3d5b.jpg

Whoop whoop! Stitches are out, bandage is off and I can bend my hand again, so count me in! I'll post up the pre photo when I get back from work.

I've been champing at the bit to get back into some painting so bring it on! :D

Congrats :tu:

I won't be taking part due to working on other pieces currently. That and I'm out of primer so couldn't prepare properly. I'll fully support though. Just think of me, standing behind you while you paint, pompoms on hands, smiling. Hope that's encouraging ;)

Rax Terron, Alpha Legion Raptor Champion of the warband 'The Seekers'.

Before:

6Omvd0.png

dNQ552.png

(For some reason that last photo refused to rotate)

After:

sis17R.png

9BlVqs.png

x05UmD.png

24P0TT.png

Background:

Lord Inquisitor Dariel Quidam, I hope that this message reaches you with neither delay or interception. If it were a less sensitive matter I would have it sent by astropathic relay, but I fear the Guild of Astropaths on Footfall may have been compromised. I do not yet believe that my actions have brought the attention of our foes, but we must still take exceptional caution with this matter.

As instructed I have been investigating he claims of activity in of the traitor Astartes known as the Alpha Legion in the Koronus Expanse. I have so far confirmed little, that the cell in the expanse are know by their contacts as the Seekers, and that they operate out of a Styx class heavy cruiser known as 'The Alethia'. This information was all that the many interviewed could agree upon. Those few who claim to have seen the Seekers in combat identified them as wearing mixed patterns of power armour painted in blues and greens, and described their combat doctrine as unorthodox, unpredictable, and without clear objectives. One subject, a mercenary voidsman, claimed that the hold of a ship he worked on was attacked, the guards were eliminated, but rather than advancing through the vessel the attackers simply retreated, apparently without reason.

The more common accounts are those of the fixers, fences and dealers of the underworld who have been contacted by the Seeker's human operatives. Meetings of this sort have been surprisingly frequent over they past few years, with many seemingly conflicting reports about the exchanges. I theorise the operatives are concealing the truth from us with volume of false information, a worrying tactic that implies a lack of caution associated with a plot nearing it's conclusion. All the reports seem to suggest the Seekers are looking for something, although there is little agreement about what it might be. Common themes include archeotech relics, tomes of forbidden knowledge or deep cover operatives that have gone to ground.

Most interestingly, I managed to meet with a subject who I believe to be an operative. A scrawny dock worker of little note, he appeared to be hiding information when questioned, leading to an application of the excruciators. Under torture, the subject freely spoke about a meeting with one of the Seekers, a fallen Astartes known as Rax Terron. Allegedly Terron is a specialist assassin, favouring the use of combat knives for silent kills. He is the leader of a Raptor cult within the Seekers, suggesting he is atypical of the organisation. He claims to have fought during the Horus Heresy, and to have killed many loyal Astartes of the Ravenguard during an alleged infiltration. The subject stated that Terron spoke at great length of killing Astartes on the fields of Isstvan V with bolter, and finding it “too easy”. Personally I find these claims to be mere fanciful boasting, but we heave learnt not to rule out anything when dealing with the Alpha Legion.

The subject claimed Terron marked him with the sign of the Hydra, and willingly showed a small brand of the Alpha Legion's symbol under a bandage on his shoulder. Terron ordered the subject to destroy any documents that passed his station that pertained to the Alethia or any shuttles associated with it, and supposedly offered to kill one person of the subject's choice. The subject was not sure if this was in jest.

It seems unlikely to me that the Seekers would associate with an individual so easily interrogated, nor that they would plan to dock their ship, a Heresy era warship, at Footfall. The implcation is that the information was meant to be uncovered, perhaps as a subtle threat to those who dig too deep. None the less, further investigation is required, as in any case where the Alpha Legion breaks it's cover.

Your faithful servant, Inquisitor Deatrix Kane.

Note from Inquisitor Quidam: This message was found on board the Imperial Cruiser 'Lonely Predator', returning from manoeuvres in the Koronus expanse. It was pinned to the back of a murdered naval officer with an Astartes grade combat knife.

SOMETHING IS HAPPENING that may preempt by ability to devote any more modeling time to Chaos Marines for the immediate future.  I will consult with the necrosages this weekend to determine whether sufficient attention may be diverted for but a single model, but at the moment my participation in the second Daemonic Pact is looking increasingly doubtful.

Unless, of course, the terms of the competition can be extended to include HQ models not only from other factions, but from other game systems entirely?  No?  No, I didn't think so.  Anyway, we'll see.

I am entering the Chosen Champion that I failed to paint from the ETL III. Here is Sergeant Tankred in his official "before" photograph:

gallery_53134_7133_93357.jpg

He is the leader of 1st Company's 6th Squad, assault specialists who call themselves the "Grave Dancers." His Servo-arm counts-as a Power Fist, otherwise he's WYSIWYG. The arms are magnetised in case I want to do anything different with him down the road. I used parts from six different kits to make him!

Well, this little challenge is certainly hidden away in the dark recess of the subforum ! Wouldn't it be better front & centre in the WIP threads ?

Anyhoo, with over a month to play with, I'll foolishly throw my oar in.

I, oldschoolsoviet, enter the Demonic Pact to complete and tell tales of one Bloodthirster, before the 25th Sept, or be cursed to carry the Sig of Spawn thereforth.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2w31ixh.jpg

Most of the body parts I have to play with. Hopefully gee me up to get cracking !

Archived