The Legion for you... Community Assistance Thread

Hyaenidae

I saw a very inspiring thread a few pages back on Imperial Fists painted in a sort of metallic scheme, which was essentially Silver basecoats and layers, with coats of glaze over. They look absolutely gorgeous yet utterly terrifying to paint at the same time!

Oh yes! I saw that one too! Might actually do my HQ's/Captains/Sargeants or other specials that way to make them stand out. Now just go get the guts to actually do it....

I saw a very inspiring thread a few pages back on Imperial Fists painted in a sort of metallic scheme, which was essentially Silver basecoats and layers, with coats of glaze over. They look absolutely gorgeous yet utterly terrifying to paint at the same time!

Orly? Where?

Ah yeah, that scheme is actually really cool too. Might do a Sarge or Consul in that scheme at some point. Would contrast well. Also to do, paint a few in the Primarily black scheme found in extermination.....

Touche.... *eye squint*

STILL its waaaay too much of a nice variation scheme to NOT use on non-assault units.

Anyways, back to helping people choose their Legions/make up their minds before Heathens comes in with the =][=

Anyways, back to helping people choose their Legions/make up their minds before Heathens comes in with the =][=

Paint is a very important part of choosing the Legion you want to play so I'd say it's still on topic. Yellow can be real pain to do and might otherwise scare someone away from a VII Legion army, but if they could do the majority of the figure in another color, like black or silver, and just a few areas in yellow, it might help sway their decision back that direction.

The black armour isn't just for assault troops, it was actually to show those marines who fought in a particular campaign, this one being the War of the Howling Gyre.

True! And with the sheer numbers of marines in a Legion and all the different campaigns that would have happened over the centuries of the Great Crusade, you really can just do whatever you want for a paint scheme and no one could say it was wrong.

Your not wrong BCK, its just that we were starting to get into the semantics of where the paint scheme did or did not come from, etc. Which, in the grand scheme of things, I dont think was all that relevant to the discussion :P

Well, thanks for the help anyways, chaps. I narrowed it down further to Imperial Fists, Raven Guard, Night Lords and Alpha Legion.

I'm probably gonna stick to the Loyalists. I always try to play bad but it never works out. Also, my local has more than enough Traitor Legions as it is.

Which then leaves it between Fists and the Ravens. It's a 70/30 decision at the mo towards the Fists. I love Corax and having recently watched Captain America 2, the sight of a giant guy with mechanical wings would be awesome. Howevere, if I'm doing an army of them, I much prefer the Fists. An I'm also a little in love with their upgrade torsos!

I think an army based on the Stone Gaubtlet would be the one for me. I have a lot of love for the much-maligned Breachers, and a unit of them at T5 makes me very happy :)

Why not a Raven Guard siege army? A company that holds to the old ways of fighting, but was not as brutal as the Pale Nomads, so was saved from exile by Corax.

Imagine beautiful marble inlay across jet plate, brightly colored heraldic shields upon shoulders, finely crafted sky-blue capes hanging from backs. The Raven, proud and glittering, inscribed across siege mantlets, gold leaf outlining it's image, wreathed in old Oaths of Moment.

The Last of the Raven's pride, before their descent into tragedy and darkness. Noble and proud, nevermore.

Dang, Heathens...I was tempted to do a siege force and thought that Fists would do it with their lovely rules. Bit doing one of the other 3 would be very different. Just weighing up the pro's and cons.

Imperial Fists:

+

Loyalists

Lovely scheme

Gorgeous upgrade torso kit

Potential for T5 Breachers

BS5 and Tank Hinter

-

Painting yellow. No-one likes to.

I'm a big fan of Primarchs. Unfortunately, Dorn is very meh, at best

Night Lords

+

Very thematic and awesome background

Chainglaives, very fluffy and cool

Love the sneaky play style, slinking in he shadows.

Curze is a total badass

-

Painting lightning. Always put me off them

Think their Legion units and RoW aren't anything too exciting

Raven Guard

+

Corax. Beastly with his claws and very mobile

Furious charge on terminators? Yes please!

Love the Mor Deythan squads

Some cool fluff in Extermination. Corax is a very no-nonsense guy, sending those he seemed wrong 'uns off to the dead quiet of the galaxy

-

Black can be such a dull colour to paint sometimes

Alpha Legion

+

Such a varied scheme

Adaptable rules can make it a very flexible force and one that changes often

-

Can't help but feel like they really lack in character compared to the other 3 Legions (then again, everyone lacks character compared to the Night Lords!!)

I suppose I want a nice mix of various factors but Primarchs are the real draw for me. Which pains me as I of the four Legions, the Fists are at the top but Dorn is at the bottom for the Primarchs. Also,

I'm stupidly indecisive, so it would likely be better for someone just to say 'do this Legion' and be done with it. It's a miracle I've managed to stick to 4k of Sallies so far :)

First, ignore the Primarchs for now. Tough, I know, but trust me on this. It'll only make it harder to decide.

Second, one of the best things about the old Legions, and how FW has presented them, allows for the player to customize their company to their personal choice. So, something like knightly and brightly honoured and bedecked Raven Guard siege army is not only entirely possible, but is also damn near expected of the player to create. Yes, the Raven Guard spent a lot of time with the Luna Wolves, but one could easily imagine a company that was seconded to assist an Imperial Fist company for decades on a distant compliance campaign. Cultural shift and honours between the two companies leads to the Raven Guard picking up many of the Imperial Fists traits and habits, and even blending the knightly glory of the VII Legion with the speed and beheading strikes of the Raven Guard.

Black won't be so boring when you're covering each Legionary in their own bright honours and colourful heraldry like the ancient knights of old. msn-wink.gif

EDIT: Even better? Reverse the Legion colors, like this awesome piece of art from Aerion the Faithful...

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/257/1/7/1778e1bcbfa9855eed9ff523f82504d3-d2yr4fs.jpg

Ugh, considering do a unit of Breachers in Ultramarines colors, but with a predominately black color(like my Black Consuls) to denote those that fought in the Calth Atrocity and any campaigns thereafter where prosecution of the Word Bearers occurred.  Problem is figuring out how to make it so they count towards my 40k Black Consuls as well.  Are there breacher units in 40k rules anywhere?

Archived