The Legion for you... Community Assistance Thread

Hyaenidae

Crisis of confidence:

Do I continue with Alpha Legion, or make a Blood Angel Legion Force?

I've started Alpha Legion as a test of my painting, and like the very different play style they offer.

I have a lot of BA in 40k already, but it might be nice to have tanks and stuff transferable for bigger games, and Legion stuff can go with my 40k BA.

Would you be able to do an allied contingent? Keep alphas as your main force (hence the name alphas :P) but enough to scratch the red itch?

Crisis of confidence:

Do I continue with Alpha Legion, or make a Blood Angel Legion Force?

I've started Alpha Legion as a test of my painting, and like the very different play style they offer.

I have a lot of BA in 40k already, but it might be nice to have tanks and stuff transferable for bigger games, and Legion stuff can go with my 40k BA.

Would you be able to do an allied contingent? Keep alphas as your main force (hence the name alphas tongue.png) but enough to scratch the red itch?

I was thinking on it today, and I'm probably going toi paint up a full BaC set as Aplas and Blood Angels, keeping the Red v Blue feel, then maybe see what I enjoyed the most!

I think I'm going to have to be really strict and build an army to a list instead of just buying everything, then I can maybe do both...

Okay, here is a question for the loyalists: which loyalist Legion is the most tactically adaptable?

By that I mean which is decent with multiple play styles (infantry, mech, drop pods and so forth) as opposed to excelling with one but sucking with others, and which has the best options for adapting mid game as opposed to being constrained to a certain MO.

Cheers msn-wink.gif

I think the posterboys are well known for tactical and strategic flexibility, though imperial fists and dark angels are also reputedly good in battle, with perhaps a greater emphasis on close combat.

Arguably, all legions are good at everything, so look at other kinds of arguments then tactical flexibility smile.png

Well, I also like Librarians a whole lot, but that would be the domain of TS and arguably post-Heresy WB. The issue is though, I am a loyalist :P

Okay, here is a question for the loyalists: which loyalist Legion is the most tactically adaptable?

By that I mean which is decent with multiple play styles (infantry, mech, drop pods and so forth) as opposed to excelling with one but sucking with others, and which has the best options for adapting mid game as opposed to being constrained to a certain MO.

Cheers msn-wink.gif

I think the posterboys are well known for tactical and strategic flexibility, though imperial fists and dark angels are also reputedly good in battle, with perhaps a greater emphasis on close combat.

Arguably, all legions are good at everything, so look at other kinds of arguments then tactical flexibility smile.png

Well, I also like Librarians a whole lot, but that would be the domain of TS and arguably post-Heresy WB. The issue is though, I am a loyalist tongue.png

Thing is, you can always play as loyaltist TS who weren't at Prospero and decided to remain loyal due to the horrors' of Horus. If need be you could always have them be Blackshields.

Cheers msn-wink.gif

Well, I also like Librarians a whole lot, but that would be the domain of TS and arguably post-Heresy WB. The issue is though, I am a loyalist tongue.png

Space wolves that dont know what the warp is, or White Scars that ignored the Nikaea edict?

Cheers msn-wink.gif

Space wolves that dont know what the warp is, or White Scars that ignored the Nikaea edict?

A lot of legions - and strike forces isolated from the rest of their legion - reversed the Nikaea edict because they felt they needed every possible advantage to survive. They figured that it was better to ask for forgiveness than permission, especially if they never liked the Nikaea edict (for example, the Blood Angels, who were part of the Librarian Project from the beginning and sent envoys to help the other Legions learn to exploit their psychic potential) or are cut off from their leadership/don't even have leadership anymore (Salamanders, Raven Guard that can't make it back to Deliverance, the entire Iron Hands Legion, etc...).

Cheers msn-wink.gif

A lot of legions - and strike forces isolated from the rest of their legion - reversed the Nikaea edict because they felt they needed every possible advantage to survive. They figured that it was better to ask for forgiveness than permission, especially if they never liked the Nikaea edict (for example, the Blood Angels, who were part of the Librarian Project from the beginning and sent envoys to help the other Legions learn to exploit their psychic potential) or are cut off from their leadership/don't even have leadership anymore (Salamanders, Raven Guard that can't make it back to Deliverance, the entire Iron Hands Legion, etc...).

Yep, a lot of legions reversed the Edict. It might be more complicated to justify the Fists turning, but the Dark Angels were even asked by their primarch to explicitly break the edict, so DAs would be very easy to justify.

I haven't heard much about Ultras librarians, but I can't see the edict of Nikaea remaining such a big constraint to the guy who created Imperium Secundus...

In any case, all legions have a bit of everything, so you should be able to justify any force of White Scars you'd want to come up with (for instance)

UM disbanded their Librarius. However, after Calth, Big G realized how Psykers are needed and put in a petition to revoke the edict. That never happened on account of the Emperor being slightly inconvenienced by Horus. But that didn't stop Big G of including the Librarius into the newly written Codex Astartes.

There was one UM Psyker who was forced to use his powers at Calth to save his squad, which led to him being exiled and becoming a Knight Errant. Tylos Rubio was his name if I recall that correctly. However, this is 30k. As long as you have a reason that isn't too outlandish, close to everything is fair game.

To specify further, I also like Power Armour (read: Tacs, Heavies, Vets and Support Squads), Terminators and Dreadnoughts supported by the occassional Predator and/or Sicaran, on top of Librarians. Basically, I like it very vanilla (even though I prefer chocolate) biggrin.png

To specify further, I also like Power Armour (read: Tacs, Heavies, Vets and Support Squads), Terminators and Dreadnoughts supported by the occassional Predator and/or Sicaran, on top of Librarians. Basically, I like it very vanilla (even though I prefer chocolate) biggrin.png

Sounds like TS then!

They traditionally used large amounts of infantry to lay down bolter fire and protect their sorcerers as they did their thing, with lesser armour support.

Dont forget, TS were loyalists until the wolves came to break them.

I've finally decided on my legions and they will be Iron Warriors and Sons of Horus. I like different things about both legions so I think the two will give me a good range of fluffy choices.

What do people think is the best use of BaC re above from army building pov? Probably thinking shooty IW and assault SoH but not being too rigid on that.

And if I was going to say the entire BaC is going to be one or the other, which would be best to get the ball rolling?

Finally, does Retribution provide a mechanism in rules to combine traitor forces, because that would suit where I want to take this.

• 2 weeks later...
There is a section on Shattered Legions that might be exactly what you're after, Rob P. It even has a unique rites that might be up your alley. It should be mentioned though, that using the Shattered Legion rules are theme rules, and I believe they require player consent. Something worth noting, and considering.

So I'm thinking of getting 2 Calth Boxes and the next box set within the year to start up 3 Legion Armies for myself.

What I'm going to be focusing on first is Death Guard, and with the second box I'd make my allied Alpha Legion force, and would use the rest to start my Thousand Sons.

Now obviously I'm waiting on Tsons rules so I'm really looking forward to those.

I rather overconfidently stated that I was going to start with a Fist and Death Guard force when I final ordered a copy of Betrayal at Calth. The sticking point has come with the fact that I can't figure out what scheme to paint the Fists. Yellow!! I here you say, if only that easy.

I've seen schemes with the whole unit having red helmets with a white stripe, different colour stripes, grey and yellow (unification wars?), black and yellow (Templar?), yellow *sigh* and variations or black and yellow. Is there somewhere/someone that has the schemes and when used other than the HH books as I can't get one until back in country and would rather invest in figures and Legiones Astartes books as I get started. Ideally looking for a scheme straddling terra.

The other option is to do Iron Warriors instead smile.png

I rather overconfidently stated that I was going to start with a Fist and Death Guard force when I final ordered a copy of Betrayal at Calth. The sticking point has come with the fact that I can't figure out what scheme to paint the Fists. Yellow!! I here you say, if only that easy.

I've seen schemes with the whole unit having red helmets with a white stripe, different colour stripes, grey and yellow (unification wars?), black and yellow (Templar?), yellow *sigh* and variations or black and yellow. Is there somewhere/someone that has the schemes and when used other than the HH books as I can't get one until back in country and would rather invest in figures and Legiones Astartes books as I get started. Ideally looking for a scheme straddling terra.

The other option is to do Iron Warriors instead smile.png

068f91991ea86e4ccc33be55e3b273d0.jpg

On the Left: Black Armor denotes he's a Veteran from the Howling Gyre.

On the Right: Breacher Sergeant with standard helmet marking.

blogger-image--1158766263.jpg

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140411234044/warhammer40k/images/2/22/IF_Legion_Pauldrons.jpg

Shoulder Badge Examples.

http://cdn.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/new-fw-fists.jpg

In short: Black is used as a color to denote Veterancy in general; could be the veteran of a specific campaign (assault marine), of his Company (terminator) or the Legion (Templar Brethren).

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140411234117/warhammer40k/images/1/17/IF_Legion_Helm_Markings.jpg

From Left to Right: Early Crusade Legionary, Mid Crusade Legionary, Late Crusade Heavy Support Sergeant, Veteran Sergeant, Heavy Support Legionary and Veteran Sergeant.

Archived