The Talon Of Horus

Also I just realized that Khayon's first name is just another spelling of Alexander the Great.

ADB, did you really need to name your main character after a legendary figure of history? Just seems a bit excessive. I mean there's naming a character after a minor figure like William I of Normandy or Roland, and then there's names like Genghis or Nobunaga. Seems a wee bit excessive.

Not really. It's not "just another spelling of Alexander the Great". It's the extremely common name Alexander in a variant of Arabic, 40K'd up a little like most 40K names. It was in no way unique to Alexander of Macedon.

It's also my son's name, but he's not named after my son. It's a hugely popular name globally and historically, the name of my ex-girlfriend's son, and an absolutely excellent example of regional/cultural shift (Aaron, for example, being Haroun in Arabic).  

There's one Temujin-called-Genghis. There are a billion Alexanders.

tl;dr -- He's not named after Alexander the Great. That's a really, really weird complaint. 

It's also my son's name, but he's not named after my son.

You mean your kid cannot perform great feats of telekinesis like towing the cookie jar from off the top of the fridge or using his great powers of telepathy to convince you he is not to blame for something he clearly did? Here I thought you named Khayon in honor of your son's great mastery over you. laugh.png

Except he explicitly states its Sekhandur Caine, when pronounced.

Oh snap, on page 14. Yeah, I definitely glossed right over that for the whole read tongue.png

That's just one dialect, though. He mentions it as an interesting aside (the way Aaron in Arabic is Haroun) given who he's talking to at the time. It's a case of "My name is X, but you guys would say it as Y in the local dialect".

Except he explicitly states its Sekhandur Caine, when pronounced.

Oh snap, on page 14. Yeah, I definitely glossed right over that for the whole read tongue.png

That's just one dialect, though. He mentions it as an interesting aside (the way Aaron in Arabic is Haroun) given who he's talking to at the time. It's a case of "My name is X, but you guys would say it as Y in the local dialect".

I love it when AD-B reminds us what a linguistic nerd he is.

Wish I was a linguistic nerd... then Id be able to come up with my own character names in RPG instead of stealing them from other places [Currently playing Deathwatch as a Flesh Tearer by the name of 'Urzok, the Hated' - stolen from Destiny ;) ]

I admit, I kind of am an etymology nerd, and really like exploring this kind of thing. But you don't need to be to find cool names like that.

Check this place out:

http://www.behindthename.com/random/

Find out what kind of culture you want to exhibit, and select accordingly. Make it show the maximum results, and go. Refresh the page until you find a name that resonates with you. Look into the name, see what it has to it. Compare past versions of the name, or look at how the name is expressed in different cultures. Look at the meanings of the name. Google what you find interesting. Add wiktionary to the searches for more indepth information. See who has borne these names or variations of these names, explore their histories.

I guarantee you will find a good, appropriate name. And if you're like me, it will be fun.

So come here to share my two cents about the talon

A few of you keen eyed people, might so keenly notice that this is my first post, which must mean that I either liked or hated the book.  So, let me put your minds at ease. I liked the book very much. In fact ,will probably stand in line for the first edition of book 2.

So what did I like!

Let’s start with the main man himself, Iskandar Khayon. Oh, how connected I felt to the psyker in blue. No am not a powerful psyker, with a starship and a pet wolf. Though I wish that were the case.

Please give me psychic powers and a starship…. I would totally abuse it.

No, the connection I felt was his loneliness, and his need to seek out any connection. I am a man who during many years suffered from feelings of lonliness, so this just might be projection. But hey, isn’t that what reading is all about, bringing your emotion and experience into the book to form your own journey.  But I see in Khayon a man whose greatest weakness perhaps is his fear of being alone.

He has a legion he no longer feel any connection to, a father whom have left him, a mentor who he doesn’t have any real affection towards anymore. A sister and brothers who are nothing more the shells. So he seeks company from his “tarot deck” and a Dark Eldar to ease his loneliness, in perhaps an underlying way to stave of insanity.       

That’s why I think he is a perfect POV for the story. Because he seeks brotherhood. I´m sure the author likes his ability to read mind, easier by far to tell a first person story. But for me as a reader. I think that his ability to seek connection, beyond blood is interesting to read about.

So let’s move on to those brothers of his.

Lheor is one of my favorite characters because he is an World Eater whom wields an heavy bolter and doesn’t go around screaming about blood and skulls in combination with a throne that is made of said skulls. Aka, he is not your stereotypical World Eater. Which make him a unique duckling of the God of war.  

Falkus the Widowmaker .I always wanted to read more about him since I saw an artwork of him many years ago. He looked so cool. Can´t really say that we learned much about him in this book, but it gave me a thirst for more.

Lyras, for the fighting scene with the Ragged Knight and being totally badass.

The moment between father and son. I liked that it wasn´t this blaze of glory kind of moment. Instead it was a more psychological one. The son made a choice, and so ended the father.

So What didn´t I like!

Well the power level. No this isn´t about Khayon. I actually liked that he was powerful. What I mean is the other members of the inner circle whom are overshadowed by Khayon. Truthfully, I don´t know why Lheor is in the inner circle, he doesn´t really feel all that dangerous. At least when you consider his position. Seriously, I think he is involved in every fight scence in the book, other than reacting first. Does he do anything to make you believe he is a lord of the Ezkarion. No unfortunately he feels more like a buffer for Khayon, someone easy to talk to, more than a badass chaos lord.

And Lyras, like I said one of my favorite scenes in the book is when he duel the Ragged Knight. My initial thought was this is one badass mother:cusser. And when you also knew that this is a rival for Khayon, I actually thought that the man in blue had to watch his back. Until, I learned to he couldn´t do anything to threathen Khayon. Khayon could pulverize him with his powers, the wolf would destroy him and Nefertari would kill him before he could blink. So he didn´t feel like a threat.

This might seem like I’m bashing Khayon powers, but I’m really not. I wished that the other were more on par with him.

What did I miss!

Only one thing really. I wanted a Death Guard present. I mean we have a Thousand son, a World Eater, and one from the Emperors Children. With a Death Guard, it would really foreshadow Abaddons ascendance. Also, Death guards are totally awesome.

Well, its time to end this. Because Im getting tired of wrtting. But thanks for an aweseome story. Could really list a ton of more things that I liked.

Looking forward for book 2.

I just now saw this thread! Very cool. Unfortunately I was neck-deep in schoolwork/trying to get a job in the fall when this came out, and totally missed it even being released.

As of today I have basically finished my personal Black Library of Chaos lore that I want to use for a display case museum for the 40k players in Houston (below). Unfortunately, the one thing I am really missing is the Limited Edition Talon of Horus with the cool chaos symbol...it is odd that I had no problem collecting other old, rare books, but I can't find a recent, 1500-copy book to buy or trade for at a reasonable price/collection of bits and models. I guess it's just too recent for people to want to get rid of? If anyone has any good ideas, please let me know.

http://i.imgur.com/4vdNMmT.png?1

Please have 888 likes.

Hah! Someone on Facebook saw the picture and said, "By looking at this, I think the Dark Gods will accept your efforts and you will soon become a demon prince."

I replied, "I graduate from law school in a few weeks, so that is probably very accurate." msn-wink.gif

Archived