++ Pit of Pestilence - A Death Guard Community ++

I'm baaaack... after seeing 8th edition and a brief foray with a certain pointy-eared Xenos (which I may still keep as an alternate) I decided to pick up the 3 snap fit Death Guard plague marines to try out painting them.  I am so happy with how they turned out that I think I'll do it as my primary army (after all I've always been drawn to Chaos, like a moth to a flame, ever since 2nd edition.  I am, in effect, a true Veteran of the Long War and Slave to Darkness as I always find myself drawn back to the allure of the Dark Gods).

I only have these 3 right now, I'm negotiating with a friend to get the Death Guard half of Dark Imperium but I'm really waiting for the codex to come out.

http://i.imgur.com/l3EFwq8l.jpg

I am, in effect, a true Veteran of the Long War and Slave to Darkness as I always find myself drawn back to the allure of the Dark Gods).

OI!!! *slaps* thats my claim to fame!!!

Joking aside, these look damn good!!!

Actually everybody has done a great job with the new plastics, now lets see some variation, get converting!!!!

I have two of the old chaos dreads. Still brainstorming on what I can do with them. I'm not the best modeler.

I know of a Dread recycling plant, just send your unwanted dreads to the UK and I will dispose of them for you. :wink:

Superglue and water leaves a rather interesting texture, but I would try it out on something you wont miss first incase you mess it up. 

You could also play about with liquid greenstuff and the crackle paint. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

I have two of the old chaos dreads. Still brainstorming on what I can do with them. I'm not the best modeler.

I know of a Dread recycling plant, just send your unwanted dreads to the UK and I will dispose of them for you. ;)

Superglue and water leaves a rather interesting texture, but I would try it out on something you wont miss first incase you mess it up. You could also play about with liquid greenstuff and the crackle paint. 

Thanks. I'll give that a shot.

I know of a Dread recycling plant, just send your unwanted dreads to the UK and I will dispose of them for you. :wink:

Superglue and water leaves a rather interesting texture, but I would try it out on something you wont miss first incase you mess it up. You could also play about with liquid greenstuff and the crackle paint. 

Thanks. I'll give that a shot.

The glue and water can get a bit messy. Great fun though. 

I need some help. I don't have Index: Chaos and need to know what the pintle options for Rhinos and LRs are. I'd like to start working on those and want to make sure I'm arming them correctly. Thanks!

Havoc launcher and/or combi-weapons (bolter, flamer,  melta, plasma).

Goes for both.

So had my first game in years last night using my new Death Guard against sisters. Man I got mauled totally underestimated how slow a death guard force is and had no idea of the acts of faith for sisters but they are super powerful. Also I couldn't roll to save my life last night (Typhus got charged by Celestine fluffed all his attacks then my command point re roll also missed, 5 plague marines including a powerfist champ couldn't kill 1 sister) but still it's making me rethink my list. Ill be taking part in my local stores Konor campaign starting next Saturday. 50 power+ 10 a week so here seems like a good place to ask for advice

Current list

Typhus

Plaguecaster

Blightbringer

20 Poxwalkers

20 poxwalkers

7 Plague Marines (2 plasma, champ with plasma and fist)

Bloat Drone

I'm thinking about dropping the drone, 10 poxwalkers and the Blightbringer for 2 lascannon hellbrutes. I think that makes it a bit more rounded and fun maybe? It's hard to judge really based on that one game but I do have to hellbrutes lying around I could convert to have lascannons and also missile launchers but I didn't think a missile launcher was worth giving up the fist? I have a Heldrake and forgefiends left over my old Slaanesh army but since death guard can't take them they currently aren't much use.

Overall they seem like a fun force and I'm enjoying painting them with all the technical paints you can use the if nothing else they should look suitably disgusting by the time they are painted.

Death Guard can't take Heldrakes; Chaos armies can. As long as your detachment shares the 'Chaos' keyword you are able to include drakes or fiends or Fabius Bile.

Drones are good. They can screen (who wants to charge toxin-spewing death?), they are mobile, and they are hardy. Their damage output is short range but quite respectable as flamers are crazy powerful. If you want to experiment with a baledrake instead of a blight drone, I would encourage that. They fulfill similar roles. The drake damage is less, as it rolls only 1d6 hits but the weapon is longer range and the beast has piles of HP and naturally regenerates. Raw staying power is something that Death Guard appreciate.

Triple HQ is suboptimal unless those HQ choices are powerful and have purpose. Maybe drop the sorc and blightbringer and take a winged Daemon Prince as their power level is equivalent. I would run twin malefic talons and Warptime to get Typhus where he needs to go. The Daemon Prince lets heretic astartes (and that includes poxwalkers!) reroll results of 1 to hit. Given how laughably bad poxwalkers are in general, they need all the help they can get.

Consider dividing up one of your poxwalker squads. You can get more command points if you go with 2 HQ and 3 troops, which makes up the minimum for a Battalion (+3 CP).

Losing the blightbringer will slow your advance slightly, but your piles of walking dead primarily exist to screen Typhus and the DP anyway. If they are slightly delayed in shambling across the board, it isn't too big a deal. Your vectorium's damage is the drone, the DP, and the Host of the Destroyer Hive. The zombies are disposable chaff that, if and when they reach the enemy, have a chance of regaining their numbers thanks to Typhus buffs and the DP's aura.

Hopefully when the campaign picks up you will leave the Sisters as little more than shambolic corpses and drooling husks... :sick:

Edited by Azekai

I'm baaaack... after seeing 8th edition and a brief foray with a certain pointy-eared Xenos (which I may still keep as an alternate) I decided to pick up the 3 snap fit Death Guard plague marines to try out painting them.  I am so happy with how they turned out that I think I'll do it as my primary army (after all I've always been drawn to Chaos, like a moth to a flame, ever since 2nd edition.  I am, in effect, a true Veteran of the Long War and Slave to Darkness as I always find myself drawn back to the allure of the Dark Gods).

I only have these 3 right now, I'm negotiating with a friend to get the Death Guard half of Dark Imperium but I'm really waiting for the codex to come out.

http://i.imgur.com/l3EFwq8l.jpg

Excellent work wayniac! That's exactly the idea I had for painting my Death Guard models if I ever end up getting any. Did you hand paint these or use an airbrush? I use an airbrush for most of my painting now days and I was planning on painting them in their heresy colors as the base and then airbrushing thin layers of agrax earthshade and nurgles rot to get them good and gross looking. 

Death Guard can't take Heldrakes; Chaos armies can. As long as your detachment shares the 'Chaos' keyword you are able to include drakes or fiends or Fabius Bile.

Drones are good. They can screen (who wants to charge tocsin-spewing death?), they are mobile, and they are hardy. Their damage output is short range but quite respectable as flamers are crazy powerful. If you want to experiment with a baledrake instead of a blight drone, I would encourage that. They fulfill similar roles. The drake damage is less, as it rolls only 1d6 hits but the weapon is longer range and the beast has piles of HP and naturally regenerates. Raw staying power is something that Death Guard appreciate.

Yeah but I don't necessarily want to spend time painting up a model that would prevent me getting benefits etc when the DG Codex comes out.

Triple HQ is suboptimal unless those HQ choices are powerful and have purpose. Maybe drop the sorc and blightbringer and take a winged Daemon Prince as their power level is equivalent. I would run twin malefic talons and Warptime to get Typhus where he needs to go. The Daemon Prince lets heretic astartes (and that includes poxwalkers!) reroll results of 1 to hit. Given how laughably bad poxwalkers are in general, they need all the help they can get.

I had planned to add a Daemon Prince down the line (we are adding 10 power a week so it fits in nicely). Could always rearrange those plans though

Consider dividing up one of your poxwalker squads. You can get more command points if you go with 2 HQ and 3 troops, which makes up the minimum for a Battalion (+3 CP).

Losing the blightbringer will slow your advance slightly, but your piles of walking dead primarily exist to screen Typhus and the DP anyway. If they are slightly delayed in shambling across the board, it isn't too big a deal. Your vectorium's damage is the drone, the DP, and the Host of the Destroyer Hive. The zombies are disposable chaff that, if and when they reach the enemy, have a chance of regaining their numbers thanks to Typhus buffs and the DP's aura.

Hopefully when the campaign picks up you will leave the Sisters as little more than shambolic corpses and drooling husks... :sick:

Yeah I have the 3cp thanks to the Plague Marines but splitting up the walkers could be a good idea. I was keeping them larger to get the +1 to hit but they still don't seem to do an awful lot in combat.

So drop the Blightbringer and Plaguecaster for a prince? Then as the weeks go on add hellbrutes etc. I was just thinking add a Hellbrute week 1 for some long range shooting. The prince with warptime to move typhus up to get him to smash face does seem fun though...

How many Plague Marines do you run at 2000 points and which weapons do you give them?

I would love to fit twenty Plague Marines into 2000 points. Two five men squads with 2x Blight Launcher and Sargent with Combi-Plasma and two five men squads with 2x Melta and Combi-Melta on the Sarge.

Has anyone had any success with a Land Raider? 

You haven't got any pics of what the water and superglue effect looks like???? Sounds very interesting and may be beneficial to me as well for a few conversion ideas :smile.:

Im between addresses at the moment so I cant get pictures of my stuff as its in another town far away *cries*, Ill have a look to see if I can find anything online that might help you.

++EDIT++ Just found this from last years ETL where we SMASHED everybody, AGAIN!!!

Its not the best picture but the glue and water thing can be seen on the Vindicator and Rhino (the white stuff).

gallery_75911_12240_490551.jpg

Edited by Slave to Darkness