++ Pit of Pestilence - A Death Guard Community ++

<snip>

Excellent work wayniac! That's exactly the idea I had for painting my Death Guard models if I ever end up getting any. Did you hand paint these or use an airbrush? I use an airbrush for most of my painting now days and I was planning on painting them in their heresy colors as the base and then airbrushing thin layers of agrax earthshade and nurgles rot to get them good and gross looking. 

Handpainted.  I have an airbrush but every time I've used it it's clogged up.  My recipe is pretty simple and effective:

* Zenithal prime (black all over, gray at 90 degrees, white at 45 degrees) ++ probably not really necessary

* Basecoat armor with Vallejo Model Air Aged White (needs a few coats, I should have basecoated with bone or light tan first), green with Citadel Castellan Green, bronze with Vallejo Game Color Brassy Brass, steel with Vallejo Game Color Gunmetal, horns with Rhinox Hide (any dark brown will do)

* Drybrush armor with Praxeti White

* Skin on champion is Rakarth Flesh, drybrush of Pallid Wych Flesh, washed with Athonian Camoshade to give a sickly tinge

* Wash various open sores with Druchii Violet

* Wash entire model with a very watery Vallejo Model Color Smoke (I used a 3:1 ratio of water to Smoke, something like 5 drops of smoke and 15 drops of water, you want it little more than muddy water, this makes everything look dirty and oily.

* Apply nihilakh oxide to brass, typhus corrosion + ryza rust to some metals

Inspirational Friday: The Death Guardmed_gallery_63428_7083_113631.pngFor those who do not know it, Inspiration Friday is a (generally) fortnightly weekly event within its home in the Chaos Space Marines forum, in which a topic is set for members to write short (or long if the muse takes you) fluff/fan-fic pieces about their war bands, characters and models.And today begins our fourteenth challenge of Inspirational Friday 2017:Death GuardThe 14th legion. The sons of Mortarion. Warriors of Barbarus. Formerly the Dusk Raiders. The first-blessed of Grandfather Nurgle.Once warriors of strength, strong will and stern resolution, they were ravaged by plague whilst trapped in the warp en route to Terra. Their lord, Mortarion, swore fealty to Nurgle and saw his sons transformed into Plague Marines; their flesh bubbling with corruption, their innards spilling through lesions in their putrid skin and their bodies and weapons oozing with slime.They rule over the Plague Planet where sickness and pestilence are the norm, where miasmic clouds bring contagion and death and where the diseased pray to Nurgle for relief from their constant agony.When the Death Guard march from the Eye, or the Cicatrix Maledictum, there goes before them countless pandemics which ravage those who would oppose them even before the Plague Marines strike and bring the blessings of Grandfather Nurgle...Inspirational Friday: Death Guard runs until the 11th of August.Let us be inspired.To whomever wins IF: Death Guard goes the Pox Amulet...gallery_63428_7083_8312.png...and the honour of judging the next challenge (which they can relinquish to me if they wish).Please submit your entries (and any questions you might have) in the main IF thread linked to above.

A reminder that you have two weeks left to get entries in! :)

So I've got about ten games with the Death Guard under my belt in the new edition. Time to share my insights:

In general out army is always pushing forward. My Poxwalkers are always advancing and often end the game in my opponent's deployment zone. The Plague Marines feel right at home at medium range. I play three five men squads with two Blightlaunchers and the Champion with a Combi-Plasma. So they can put the hurt on stuff from 24" away but 12" (or 6" for a Grenade) is where they are deadliest.

Now for our units:

Typhus

He has become a mainstay of all my lists. He is just crazy good and makes it almost impossible for my opponent to get "Slay the Warlord". He hits like a truck in melee and is a good supporter since he can cast spells and buffs the Poxwalkers.

Poxwalkers

Amazing! They obviously aren't going to kill a lot of models but that's not what they are meant to do! In all of my games these guys are the real MVPs since they are so incredible versatile. They screen my units to soak up charges, swarm objectives, bind troublesome units in melee and give me zone-control so that my opponent can't just deepstrike everywhere. 40 Poxwalker with Typhus feel alright. At the end of my games I still had some Zombies left so I have no need to bump them up to 60 or so.

Blight Drones

I never leave home without two of these beasts. They are incredibly tanky and even with just 1 remaining wound they still wield essentially two flamers with -1AP. They can threaten light and medium vehicles and melt GEQ and MEQ alike. They also aren't so bad in melee and I often throw them at tanks etc. bind them in melee, then retreat and fire at something else.

Chaos Lord

I love my Nurgle Chaos Lord! I always give him a Combi-Plasma so that he can safely overcharge it. Alongside some Plague Marines he is just so valuable! Saving them from burning themselves and letting them hit ~80% instead of 66%.

Blightbringer

I don't know why people view him as a waste of points. Sure he isn't the most competitive character out there but I love him. I place my Drones and Poxwalker in his bubble to shoot them up the board Turn 1. His Plasma Pistol is also quite nice to dish out the odd wound or two on vehicles etc.

No clue how I could have missed this thread - but I'm currently working on my Siege of Terra era First Company Death Guard ^.^

gallery_79873_10492_106345.jpg

You missed this thread?! :O SHAME ON YOU!!!!

Damn fine looking minis there though. They look great.

I have to say I quite like the twin Combi-Bolter and Havoc Launcher on a Rhino. My Plague Marines are all decked out for anti-elite and anti-vehicle shooting so the Rhino is a welcome support. 8 S4 shots in RFR + D6 S5 shots can put the hurt on GEQs and hordes. 

I hope the codex gives us some relics or special rules to better deal with hordes. Or maybe a spell that every unit that charges the enchanted unit has -1 attack etc.

Damn I am very happy with the fact all possessed now gain an extra wound for no additional cost so a squad of 7 with icon of Despair comes in at a nice 164pts pretty awesome considering they are all 2W :D I'll probably use them as my heavy hitting units alongside a lord/ sorcerer holding them back behind my poxwalkers so when the enemy gets bogged down by the undead swarms in comes the Possessed to deal some serious damage, so can't wait for the Dex as they will no doubt get access to some disgusting Nurgle stratagems and traits to make them even more deadly :D

Damn I am very happy with the fact all possessed now gain an extra wound for no additional cost so a squad of 7 with icon of Despair comes in at a nice 164pts pretty awesome considering they are all 2W :biggrin.: I'll probably use them as my heavy hitting units alongside a lord/ sorcerer holding them back behind my poxwalkers so when the enemy gets bogged down by the undead swarms in comes the Possessed to deal some serious damage, so can't wait for the Dex as they will no doubt get access to some disgusting Nurgle stratagems and traits to make them even more deadly :biggrin.:

Hopefully there will be a way for Death Guard possessed to gain Disgustingly Resilient, then the daemonic horrors will be even harder to shift!

Poxwalkers

Amazing! They obviously aren't going to kill a lot of models but that's not what they are meant to do! In all of my games these guys are the real MVPs since they are so incredible versatile. They screen my units to soak up charges, swarm objectives, bind troublesome units in melee and give me zone-control so that my opponent can't just deepstrike everywhere. 40 Poxwalker with Typhus feel alright. At the end of my games I still had some Zombies left so I have no need to bump them up to 60 or so.

How many Poxwalkers are you running? I've got a few games in with a 20-man unit and they seem to die fairly quickly before doing anything.

Poxwalkers

How many Poxwalkers are you running? I've got a few games in with a 20-man unit and they seem to die fairly quickly before doing anything.

What do you mean before they do anything? All shooting your enemy dedicates towards them won't endanger your more expensive Infantry. :P

Poxwalkers only offensive use is fighting other weak things; even when buffed they are pretty underwhelming. Defensively they are great. Zombies can bubble wrap critical characters or vehicles, absorb charges, hold objectives, take overwatch for more important units. Poxwalkers can do whatever tasks you want cultists to do, except the shambling undead don't break and run under fire. They always get that handy 5+ Disgustingly Resilient roll. If the enemy puts dedicated shooting into them, they fall apart, but they are relatively cheap and even a small, mostly-dead unit can act as a screen.  

So I've been getting into the nurgly domain of things after getting the DI box as a nice gift , and I'm going for a Putrid Choir / Pox Mortis type of scheme with a copper oxide colour theme. I've managed to produce these two where basically the only difference is the wash atop the Gauss Blaster Green layer, left is diluted Coelia greenshade, right is diluted Athonian camoshade. No relayering or highlights yet.

What are your thoughts on this base of a colour scheme ?

I'll do a proper WIP soon :)

http://i63.tinypic.com/104ji3s.jpg

Thanks for the feedback , I also have a slight preference for the right one,it is then set ! off to finishing those and making 15 more :)

I'll make a wip post this weekend, I tried to kitbash a Typhus from the LoC and it turned out decent so far, eager to get him in these proper liveries :)

Inspirational Friday: Death Guard ends this Friday.

Do any more of you care to give us tales of your Legion, your warbands?

I've submitted two entries and I'm not even particularly a Nurgle fan :D

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say I'm rather surprised this thread is so quiet, considering that the DG are getting a load of new mini's and a dex soon.  What are people's thoughts on the new models?  Motarion/Typhus/Termis/plague crawler/plague marines?

Most of the conversation is happening over at the three threads on the News subforum. I assume this thread will revive once the models are out, or at least when we finally get a proper look at them, which should start happening today unless the preorders don't start next Saturday. I seriously hope they start next Saturday. The wait is agonizing.

Finally finished the first unit :smile.:

Plague Marines Demi-Squad Mikhors

Former Tactical Veterans of the Death Guards' First Company

gallery_79873_10492_83562.jpg

In the last days of the Horus Heresy, and on their way to Terra, the Death Guard Legion had become becalmed and trapped within the Warp. There, the virulent Destroyer Plague attacked their bodies. For the XIVth Legion, there was nothing more terrifying than the plague that rendered their legendary resilience meaningless. Unable to endure the suffering any longer, the Primarch and his sons offered themselves up to the service of the Lord of Decay in return for their lives.

Their bodies became bloated and swollen with the corruption, festering within them, but they no longer felt the agony of the Warp-pox and did not die from the horrific symptoms. When the Death Guard Legion fleet emerged from the Warp, they bore little resemblance to the proud Astartes who had entered. Each Legionary was now a bloated grotesque, covered in pock-marks and boils, scabs and putrescent sores. They bore the stink of corruption as the very air about them was clouded with swarming flies. The Death Guard had become walking pestilence carriers; they had become Plague Marines.

gallery_79873_10492_205180.jpg

gallery_79873_10492_70679.jpg

gallery_79873_10492_121994.jpg

gallery_79873_10492_171943.jpg

Note: Corrupted Mark III "Iron" pattern Power Armour. Including legion specific modifications, aswell as field repairs.