Regiments of the B&C: Treads & Thrusters

Kierdale

Should be called "American Rugby" tongue.png Still plenty of time to finish but others take note - the WIP deadline expires soon!

If you haven't posted your WIP picture you have until the end of the week: September 14th 14:00 GMT (18:00 ETZ, 19:00 CTZ, 20:00MTZ, 21:00 PTZ). This is also the cut off for new entrants so if you want to join the crusade to glory you don't have long! Remember the model doesn't have to be fully assembled so get that bundle of plastic posted :D

So with my dissertation finally out the way I've had some time to get my hobby on.
I humbly present the fruits of my labours so far, the 'Aquila Ascendent II', a Drenan Pattern Chimera, fresh off the assembly line.

Drenan Pattern Chimera IFV 'Aquila Ascendent II'

Rigantae Pattern Turret with Coaxl Heavy Stubber and Autoannon

The 'Aquila Ascendent II', is armed with an autocannon and coaxil heavy stubber mounted in its turret and a hull mounted Heavy Bolter.

-Hope this is up to standard, currently working on fleshing out some background. May even get some painting done!

Of course Nico isn't going anywhere - once you go Guard you don't go back remember? ;)

Good to see you in with plenty of time before the deadline too, I can't wait to see all these flyers when they're done :D

I may be focussing painting-wise on my inquisition stuff but the EOVR haven't gone anywhere. I'll definitely still be around.

Alright gents... I finished assembling and primed my chimera today. The boy was ill monday and the misses for the last few days. Grouchy womens do not make for the easiest hobby breaks msn-wink.gif...

I hope to get the basecoat on this eve.. will be trying to thin my paints way down and use a big brush in lieu of my airbrush (we've had tons of rain and the humidity is outta sight)

Forelorn Raven ... love your turret conversion

@Captain Sox That is great looking model, I really like the multicoloured nose. It has inspired me to try something different with my bird instead of just green.

@ForlorneRaven How about naming the Chimera pattern: The Lycaeus pattern.

once you go Guard you don't go back remember? msn-wink.gif

So true, so very true. Once you get a IG box you're hooked for life.It twists your decisions like car repairment or the Steel Host box, food or the Hammer of Cadia. You know you have the succumbed to the IG when you start searching for answears using the Imperial Infantryman's Handbook & the Uplifting Primer.

-But officer, if you take a look at section 8 in this primer you'll see that I was infact driving Flank Guard and not on the wrong side of the roadlaugh.png

football! (American football)

I too watch this. Have been watching since th 90s. Nowdays I have the option to Tivo it(instead of VHS) because it is running in the middle of the night, which is a great way to skip the commercialsbiggrin.png

Finished my vow. Hope the next challenge is Elite or Heavy Support! (*Cough the next two slots I wanna buy units for Cough*)

Unpainted.

15039080795_4025886ebf_c.jpg

Painted

15211518925_37220cf0ab_c.jpg
15188496846_2d4781d9d2_c.jpg
15188488216_3872a25a95_c.jpg

Taurox Prime Background

Since the outbreak of the Battle for Montisgard, the Old 256 has been making extensive use of the Taurox Prime pattern of transport for its Kasrkin squads. Able to match the speed and firepower of Waaagh Grimskullz' wartrukks, they have been crucial in the defense of the beleaguered system.

Kasrkin Squad 001 have formed a close bond with their Prime, dubbing it "Warthog" (Though some in the regiment insist calling it "Bebop", and in one odd case the "Puma"). With Warthog's auto-cannons, Squad 001 has taken down scores of Ork Trukks, using its Gatling Cannon and Storm Bolter to mow down any Greenskin survivors in a prodigious spray of bullets. This large drain of ammunition on the Old 256's stores is given a careful pass by Colonel Grey, who cannot argue with the kill ratio of xenos that squad 001 has obtained.

While written record of the Cadian 256 has been found as early at M36, none know for sure actually how long ago the regiment was founded. What is known is that the Cadian 256 had a most unusual founding. At the beginning of its history, the Cadian 256 was made up completely of brand new recruits formed from the Whiteshield regiments. The Officers and Commissars themselves were made up of soldiers in their first tours of duty. With such numbers of young and relatively inexperienced soldiers in the regiment, the Cadian 256 was dubbed the "Young 256". By the Emperor's grace or luck however, the Cadian 256 was able to survive, even thrive, with distinction and honor. It was in these early years the Cadian 256 was able to earn its first unique quirk. The Regiment was gifted a suit of Knight Titan armor by the last surviving member of a Knight Household. Coming to the aid of and redeeming the honor of this Freeblade, the Knight pledged that his armor would forever serve the 256. Since then, every new Knight Pilot would choose a squire to follow him, and upon the pilot's death, the suit would be passed on and the cycle would continue. "Venerable Iron" has continued to serve along the 256 to this day.

Sometime in the 41st millennium, the "Young" 256 would once again earn another unusual honor. Sometime after taking over as Colonel of the 256, a man named Jonathan Grey would lead the regiment to a new series of glory. Earning himself a reputation of a "problem solver", Grey was awarded with the honor of being able to reinforce his regiment with whatever survivors from disbanded regiments he wanted. In time, this transformed the "Young" 256 into a band of grizzled veterans, many of them older than the average guardsman. Grey himself, an older warrior never seen without a cigar in hand, helped solidify the new "Old" moniker the Regiment is now known by. Colonel Grey's reputation as a "tough old bastard" is soundly earned, often seen leading from the front alongside his men. Since their re-branding the "Old" 256 has been seen across a number of war zones, fighting at the thickest of battle. Recruiting the toughest (and often eldest) survivors of each conflict, the 256 rarely slows down, only ever moving forward, looking only to slay those that threaten the Imperium.

Recently, the Cadian 256 has found itself upon the front lines defending the Montisgard System from the appearance of Waaagh Grimskullz. With their grizzled determination, the Old 256 has been able to blunt the worst of the Xenos invasion. However, with the sudden arrival of a Word Bearers Warband in the system, the Old 256 finds itself defending a backwater system from the advance of two determined foes. Leading his men in a stubborn defense, Colonel Grey has held out brilliantly against enemies of the Emperor, awaiting promised arrival of a Black Templar Crusade. With the Emperor's Grace, they may be able to hold out long enough to turn the tide and save the system...

After getting inspired by more great transports here, I got stuck in!

And an updated trooper to match.

A more random loose style seems to work and was truly a lot of fun. I really enjoyed painting this. 

I'm posting now as I won't have much free time next week. Hope to see more completions at events end.

Exquisite paint jobs, absolutely fantastic! cool.png Great background to read too Idlem :) cod - don't forget you'll need to add some Chimera text and repost your Regimental blurb in order to climb above Lance Corporal for this challenge! :D

I'm itching to get to work on my vehicle now, the paint gods must be appeased with offerings! :P Maybe one day even get a Taurox since it seems to look good in green...

After getting inspired by more great transports here, I got stuck in!

And an updated trooper to match.

A more random loose style seems to work and was truly a lot of fun. I really enjoyed painting this. 

I'm posting now as I won't have much free time next week. Hope to see more completions at events end.

That is absolutely gorgeous. How did you do the corrosion, just sponging or another effect entirely? 

Thanks! Oh and no sponges were used. It was a hairspray technique, inbetween coats of paint and a toothbrush to scrub it back, revealing the colour below. So it really is like paint flaking or chipping off.

Real Simple Steps used:

Light undercoat in white

Base colour all over (I used light metallic red/pink), let dry

Hairspray, as soon as dry do your next colour

Coloured blue all over (slight metallic added in as I like shiny things)

Then used 2 toothbrushes, 1 soft, 1 hard, to scrub back areas to show wear and tear

Soft drybrush orange over revealed undercolour for rust, or:

Add weathering powders etc to those revealed parts for various degrees of rust

The bottom section was typhus corrosion, orange drybrush highlights (didn't have ryza rust orange), then glued green flock. Simple.

I have just discovered there are actual 'chipping fluids' to use instead of hairspray, they are mean to be more reliable!

Have fun experimenting! 

I can never take the method seriously whenever "hairspray" is mentioned. Always sounded like you should be painting in slow motion in a wind tunnel while power ballads play laugh.png You don't need an airbrush to use the technique but like all things it makes life easier on larger kits/base coats etc smile.png

Another reminder comrades: this Sunday is the WIP deadline! Get your WIP picture (and vow if you're not in yet) posted in this topic before then or you'll miss out! Don't want to get stuck waiting for the next event for those delicious promotions do you? msn-wink.gif

Archived