Regiments of the B&C: Treads & Thrusters

Kierdale

Great work everyone, it's all looking great. Another fantastic Guard event.

My Valkyrie is slowly approaching completion. I've been spending about 20-40 minutes on it each night. Last night I got it to the factory finished stage, pretty much. All it needs now is a few =][= markings and weathering, then it's good to go.

I can never count on being able to steal weekend time with 4 children, so my slow but steady method of doing a little each night (some nights its as little as 5-10 minutes) is a must but it does get results. It takes about a year but as last year's Road to Astronomi-con thread shows, I can get an army ready in that time.

Vehicle Background:

This unnumbered Valkyrie appears in no records and bears no serial number, such that no one knows where or when it was manufactured, nor how it came to be attached to Lord Inquisitor Soulis' "Strikeforce Demeda" aboard the Black Ship Justitia et Fides. It is likely that it was manufactured secretly and personally for the Lord Inquisitor at one of the forges in the Sorgrece System.

It is piloted by Captain "Sox" Sokolov, with Lt. Sviar acting as radar intercept officer. In contrast to the largely dour and faceless Scions of the Vth Inquisitorial Storm Trooper cohort that they serve, these two colourful characters sport custom paintjobs on their helmets. These eccentricities are overlooked thanks to their dauntless and daring operation of the Valkyrie into the hottest dropzones the task force faces.

Of late, one of Lord Inquisitor Soulis' warbands -- a somewhat motley group who call themselves "The Krazy Krutackers" because they are wont to be dropped with their three plasmaguns and psyker deep into enemy territory and wreak havoc -- have taken this Valkyrie as if it were their own. Although the Scions of the strike force try to ignore them, they consider themselves in competition with those elite troops and despite numerous casualties (in fact the Krutackers always have walking-wounded among their number) they stay in the fight and in the thick of the action aided-and-abetted by Sox and Sviar.

Regimental Background - Cohort V, Ordo Hereticus Storm Troopers Regiment:

The various Ordos of the Inquisiation maintain a number of fortresses throughout the galaxy, both secret and known. The Inquisitorial Storm Trooper Regiments provide security for these, as well as the Black ships and form an important part of most inquisitors' retinues. They are recruited from the Schola Progenium well as certain families with a tradition of service to the Inquisition. They are equipped, as are Militarum Tempestus Scions, with top-of-the-line equipment including carapace armour and hotshot lasguns.

Lord Inquisitor Soulis, some years ago, appropriated for himself the entire Fifth Cohort of the Ordo Hereticus' regiment. They now form the hard core of "Ordo Hereticus Taskforce Demeda" which is the tip of the spear for the Persequi Ultio Astra crusade. Soulis, known for his less-than-subtle ways, leads the crusade armies into battle, always accompanied by at least some troopers of the Vth Cohort. Though Soulis has his own personal body guard hand-picked from the Valkan Cardinal's Crimson Guard, Valkan Death Kommandos, and the large cadre of other henchmen he's collected over the years, the Vth Cohort officers and troops consider it a point of personal honour to keep the Lord Inquisitor safe. Constantly being in the thick of combat, Soulis has been wounded and fallen numerous times and it is invariably a suicidally brave unit of Vth Cohort Scions who will drop-in with a Valkyrie (or squadron of same) to rescue him at any cost. It is due to their selfless (and not a little paternalistic) actions that the Lord Inquisitor yet lives despite his style.

Pilus prior Tempersor Prime Antropov (Cohort commander) would never dream of questioning the Lord Inquisitor. Yet it has been said that he's been known to pull out his monocle and polish it with a hint of fatherly disapproval touching his face every time Lord Inquisitor Soulis suits-up for battle with plans of leading from the front lines. Yet it is a source of great pride for all of the Scions to play their role -- be it delivering surgical strike in support of Imperial Guard Units attached to the crusade, or leading the frontal assault with their lord.

Sox: glad you like it!

I used Typhus Corrosion with just a hint of Ryza Rust in a few key places to weather it. My first time using Typhus Corrosion but it worked beautifully.

EDIT: I did battle damage by dry-brushing some Leadbelcher here-and-there. I also used an Agrax Earthshade followed by a Nuln Oil wash on any of the metal bits before doing the corrosion, and I did a wash of Nuln Oil on the big =][= on the wings to tone them down a little bit.

A productive weekend for me - and lots of Typhus Corrosion too:

gallery_30308_3239_57140.jpg

Don't forget the event ends next weekend - less than a week to complete! I'm almost done on my Chimera and background pieces, make sure you are too! :D

Looking great there commissar!

I think I need to get some more technical paints, both Typhus and BftBG are great "out of the pot" methods that really save you time and these days that's the most precious thing of all! I'll be sure to use Typhus a lot more, it certainly makes the prospect of going back to upgrade the paint jobs on Emperor knows how many tanks seem a lot more feasible :)

Keep up the hard work everyone, let's see every comrade past the finishing line! :D

Finished at last. First transport for the 121st fly's into action.

http://i.imgur.com/EjWiO4B.jpg?1

Regimental Background:

(The 121st Dark star Regiment prides themselves for their airmobile tactics. Being quite comfortable with the ability of dropping an entire Regiments worth of personnel and equipment ready for the fight in mere days; rather than months, like some of the more heavily armoured units require. With a lack of more heavily armoured units such as tanks or APC's, the 121st has honed its skills of rapid insertion and quick raids of enemy objectives, utilizing their speed and maneuverability to ensure success on the battlefields of the Emperor. It is common to hear the troops joking with one another, saying "Light Infantry isn't light." These tactics of rapid insertion and aggression towards the enemy is what drew the eye of Marshal Adonis of the Black Templars Nemesis Crusade. As both units met by chance on the planet Phaethon IV, The Templar continuing to locate the Storm Lord and the 121st setting up ambush points to drive the Necrons back to there cursed hives. Marshal Adonis, impressed with the aggression displayed by the Elysians, there ability to call in rapid and accurate air support and crisp drills. The Marshal thus blessed a few of the Valkyries and vultures with the Black Templar Cross, for their tenacity in the face of the enemy of mankind. He also suggested (as best a Astras can do) to the CO of the regiment, Colonel Veigar, that his Regiment would be welcome to continue the Crusade along side the Templars, An honour which was quickly accepted and approved by higher Command on Elysia. The 121st are primarily comprised of veteran jumpers and recce units, cross trained to carry out one another's tasks. With so many veterans and high level of camaraderie, the unit does not see fit to enlist the support of Commissars, feeling that if a member of the team should show signs of cowardice, the man on their right or left has more of a right to eliminate the weak link rather than a outsider. The 121st still crusade with the Templar fleet to this day, providing accurate recce's and drawing targets of value to appointed kill zones.)

Edit: Regimental Background

Another fine completion HLVW, everyone is doing great work :D Spoiler tags are easy to implement so don't worry about them:

[spoiler](content to be spoiled)[/spoiler]

You can also insert them using the "Special BBCode" button to the left of the font drop down. I look forward to reading the background you've written up for model and regiment :D

I am very impressed with the work people are doing, this is why we're second to none! :D I'm glad I made the effort to delve into weathering properly or my poor Chimera would have been left behind! :lol:

Don't forget to add the regimental and vehicle backgrounds for the delicious extra promotions - for those who have already participated in the One for All challenge and submitted their regimental story this can be the same as you did last time or you can write a new piece if you like :)

For those who have yet to do the minimum for completion and post their finished model don't forget the deadline is this weekend! As long as I have evidence that you finished the model before the deadline that's all that is required! I don't care if you shove it through my letterbox, just get that model finished! :P

As I see it we have eleven members still to post by the weekend.

Time grows short, ladies and gentlemen.

To those who have completed their entries (including write ups): congratulations.

Following on from the first challenge's infantry, everyone has shown great work on their transports.

So I have been busy painting, which meant that my time on B&C has been more or less non existing. But I finished my bird todaysmile.png Pictures to follow late at night at best.

@Lionofjudah That is a very nice conversion, it looks like more a tank, and we Guards love tankscool.png I like the rusted tracks and the washed grey/blure colour (the Fang?). Mordians comes to mind when I see this.

@Nico That is a beautuful plane, to me black is hard to pull off but you apparently have no problen at all. The modell really shows the amount of time you have put into it considering the grey outlining around the whole plane. I also like the details like the bullet holes, weathering, the free hand Inqusition symbol and of course the pilots, espesially the co pilot whistlingW.gif

I enjoyed the story of the Valkyre and the Soulis warbands and the Krazy Krutackers and found the background interesting.

@WarriorFish I like the corrosion you put on, it looks cool and so does the track covers too. I like the detail that you find on the Chimera, like the pick axe and sleeping bag. And I found one funny thing: It seems that your guardsmen inside are aiming for one those pesky Ork planes. Don't forgett the story, I'm looking forward to read it.

@HLVW That is a fantastick plane, and the weathering looks great. The base looks really cool, and you have inspired me to do something special with mine. I liked your story about the 121:st Dark Star Regiment. I noticed one thing in the story that reminded me of Helsreach, and that was the Black Templar cross on the plane.

If I have forgott someone then I do apologize, I'm not feeling well at all, so I'm going to crawl back to bed and I'll check back late at night and hopefully I'll have some pictures to show my completion.

Archived