Regiments of the B&C: Treads & Thrusters

Kierdale

Good to see you've been busy painting that's just the sort of absences we like! biggrin.png Take note, Coffee and try to imitate your esteemed comrade Sviar who dedicates his time to noble pursuits and not the depravity of xenos! laugh.png

Don't worry about the background, I've been returning to it periodically and I think it's done save the last read through and polish smile.png I'm really pleased with how my Chimera is going so I hope you'll like the blurb I'll be posting with it's completion - a new regimental background piece too biggrin.png

The challenge ends this Saturday Coffee, so don't paint too many fishies :P As you for Sviar, rest and get better - Commissar's orders (and a Commissar outranks a doctor msn-wink.gif )!

Due to time restraints at home and other such boring things as well as getting ready for a holiday to Tunisia I will declare my valk ready.

Further weathering will happen during its life as she enters battle.

Write ups to follow.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/chrisburnett2010/geekery/20140902_221939.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/chrisburnett2010/geekery/20140902_222040.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/chrisburnett2010/geekery/20140903_191248.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/chrisburnett2010/geekery/20140902_222227.jpg

The background to my aircraft. Sorry for the long read.

The Valkyrie XR771 ‘Toleration’ has a decorated past, and is now classed as a relic in its own right deserving much attention.

It was manufactured on the industrial world of Voss, and had served with distinction on the Emperor Class Battleship – Divine Right, claiming many enemy aircraft kills dispite only having a multi-laser so rightly the tech adepts at the time fitted the craft with a Lascannon that pleased the machine spirit.

Recent history had it assigned to the Elysian 181st drop troop regiment who were a battle ready, fully equipped and experienced regiment. During the ill fated attack on Kastorel-Novem it was one of the very few Valkyrie’s to make it off the planet and survive the tactical withdrawal.

With the Regiment having to be re-equipped due to the horrendous casualties sustained, the survivors of which going to the 73rd Haraconi Warhawks who were already equipped with the correct serviceable equipment, the ‘Toleration’ fell off the radar and into one of the imperium’s storage facilities.

With the re-supply and recruitment of the newly resurrected Cadian 171stRegiment, the equipment available was scarce considering their quick deployment to deal with threats. In light of that their tech adepts had been tasked with bringing the war relic XR771 ‘Toleration’, back into service and to face the enemies of the imperium again.

Due to the condition it was found in the ‘Toleration’ has been given many new panels to try and get it to a standard fit for service. Unfortunately they were not able to carry out all necessary repairs due to a mobilisation of the regiment. This meant the craft has had to pressed into service in a heavily faded camo scheme, heavy weathering requiring a re-skin ideally, and even the right hand engine requiring filling of oil after every flight due to very high consumption rates and turbine damage thus causing further damage itself (the Tech Priests do not even know how the engine is even running at 99% power still).

Due to the limited stock of aircraft in the 171st the ‘Toleration’ has been pressed into a SAR and SF roles. To help with this it has been fitted with Multiple Rocket Pods, and a ramp gunner for suppression in its casevac role keeping the side doors free for use. So far the ‘Toleration’ has performed admirably, and bar the usual maintenance has had higher serviceability rates than anything else in the regiment’s inventory.

Hope this is ok and up to standard. Failure doesn't appeal.

@Sviar- I will admit that the idea of the crosses was completely taken from Helsreach. It just works out that I have a Black Templar army as well.

@Scatmandoo- very nice bird and right up.

@Sviar- I will admit that the idea of the crosses was completely taken from Helsreach. It just works out that I have a Black Templar army as well.

@Scatmandoo- very nice bird and right up.

Thanks for the comments, your bird looks great though and I love the base. Your write up is great too especially about commissars....

Take note, Coffee and try to imitate your esteemed comrade Sviar who dedicates his time to noble pursuits and not the depravity of xenos! laugh.png

The challenge ends this Saturday Coffee, so don't paint too many fishies tongue.png

Tau were my first and favourite army, and I'm really enjoying the new scheme I'm trying - plus the Y'vahra Battlesuit is luring me back to the Xenos! I'm aiming to get them back up to a fully painted army, then it'll be back to the Guard to paint my Executioner that's been languishing for a little too long!

The ol' eagle is almost done, merely awaiting the completion of blessed basing rites and some fluff before I call her done. I don't tend to write fluff in advance for my units, they earn it in battle, as is the case for one infamous Sergeant I have who is the end of days to everything from Space Wolves to Stompas. I'll see what I can write though, still establishing my overall Regimental fluff atm.

I will see my vow through to the end. I missed the ETL which was a shame as I blitzed a good few points of Guard during that! Here's to getting this one done, though!

Text will be added before the time runs out.

I Sviar vow to paint a Vendetta if I find my Lascannons. Otherwise I'll paint a Valkyrie. Here is my starting picture.

Well my Sviar worlds was well elaborated. But I will write up an airforce section, if I however have som time left I could try to write about a small city on Sviar 1, as an expansionsmile.png

Turns out I choosed the Valkyrie. Warning pic heavy, sorry for the camera work.

med_gallery_58880_7244_146670.jpg

med_gallery_58880_7244_186343.jpg

med_gallery_58880_7244_83245.jpg

med_gallery_58880_7244_25190.jpg

med_gallery_58880_7244_112716.jpg

med_gallery_58880_7244_135878.jpg

Good to see you back Sviar biggrin.png As for the regimental background you don't have to add any more if you've already done it, even more so as you've already post up a lot. Just make sure to re-enter it with your Vendetta completion so you can gain the full Sergeant rank for the Treads and Thrusters challenge smile.png

I'll see if I manage to type something anyway.smile.png

It just works out that I have a Black Templar army

So do I, I thought it was a great idea to incoperate it into your own story.smile.png

@Scatmandoo Great looking plane I like the red inlays and the camoflage pattern. I like the story about how she got a second chance to serve the imperium.

Excellent stuff, more completions! :D I especially like all the details on the interiors - something I can never get right so I avoid all buttons :P The background was good scatmandoo, a vehicle with a bit of history is always cool but don't forget the regimental background to achieve full rank for Treads and Thrusters!

The table of progress at the bottom of the first post is up to date, please have a look and let me know if anything has been missed out :)

I'm doing this a bit in reverse but here is my fluff on my regiment:

During the Great Crusade the planet Turia pledged many of its populace to the Imperial Truth and raised several dozen regiments throughout the Crusade. Most were lost as their expedition fleets were wiped out fighting wars that desperately needed Legion support but never received it. The Turian 4th had been lucky and assigned to an expedition fleet that was led by the Ultramarine 29th Company. The luck of the 4th ran out when orders were received from the Warmaster for the Ultramarines and attached Imperial Army to muster at Calth alongside the Word Bearers Legion for an assault on the Ork empire in the Veridian System. The 4th still wore their desert camouflage from their previous engagement and did not have time to repaint their vehicles for the muster – once the Word Bearers unleashed their true purpose on Calth the 4th was decimated alongside the Ultramarines 29th but surviving elements of both forces managed to escape the slaughter and regroup to take the fight to the traitors.

The desert camouflage the 4th still wore during the muster made them easy pickings for enemy forces in the ruins of Calth – some of the armour was haphazardly repainted or covered in dust and oil to try dull down the sandy colours but ultimately it was too little too late. Most of the command structure was gone and the terrors unleashed by the Word Bearers tore the survivors to pieces. The dreaded Gal Vorbak made their mark upon the Ultramarines and Turians in the killing fields slaughtering hundreds.

The Turian 4th was a mixed tactics regiment before Calth and it had served them well in previous engagements with armour supporting infantry advances whilst being supported by long range artillery and aerial support. After Calth the regiment was only a shadow of its former glory after taking nearly 95% losses, the remnants of the regiment are hardened veterans and still fight alongside the Ultramarines 29th Company scouring Ultramar of Word Bearer and World Eater forces during the Shadow Crusade.

I'll get the vehicle fluff done in a bit and tonight I'm going to try get the Chimera done (lucky I have until Saturday and it is pretty much fully assembled and I have an airbrush :P).

Spent last night trying out Elmo's technique of drybrushing the weathering on leading edges rather than sponging. Also swapped Leadbelcher for Necron Compound, which really makes the effect look that much better. The dastardly base took forever to dry in this increasingly damp and cold weather we're getting here in Britian, so I'll be aiming to finish the base tonight and posting the completed article tonight or on Friday if all go well!

Nice write up there Reyner, but all will be for nought without that completed model - I look forward to seeing you earn your sergeant's stripes msn-wink.gif

You'll have to get the completion in at double time now Coffee, you know what we think about posts that talk about all the awesome work you've been doing without pictures to show us laugh.png I'm fighting the fading light too, it's really noticeable sad.png Lately the daytime has been beautiful and sunny but I am stuck at work...

Fingers crossed it lasts for the weekend, as I'll need some good light to do the final bits like the lenses before the deadline Saturday afternoon tongue.png Oh well it could be worse, at least I can sneak in some decent B&C time in for a change today smile.png

Remember the deadline: Saturday the 27th, 14:00 GMT (15:00 BST, 18:00 ETZ, 19:00 CTZ, 20:00 MTZ, 21:00 PTZ) and not a minute later! Glory awaits us so pull out all the stops to make sure you don't miss the cut off biggrin.png Not one comrade left behind!

Here is my Regimental history,

The glorious Cadian 171st Regiment had originally been involved in fighting in the Ultima Segmentum against the Tyranid threat found in Hive fleet Kraken.
Unfortunately despite some heroic actions they were wiped out to the man. The bells rang on Cadia and the Regiment was disbanded into history.

Once the Threat of Hive Fleet Leviathan and the Ork incursion of the Forsarr sector had become apparent in the Segmentum Tempestus the High Lords decided to raise another regiment from Cadia.

Then arrived the newly formed Regiment to the sector and as with any new regiment, they have been given very few combat veterans, new kit or supplies. However they do have plenty of hand me down should be scrapped vehicles and weapons, and more than enough ‘green’ troopers. Led into battle by Colonel Anders Gunderson, an officer school veteran held in high regard by even Lord Creed!  How the regiment fares will be decided on how Colonel Anders bonds his men into a efficient fighting force while dealing with the odd mission from a couple of mysterious Inquisitors nearby.

Early records of the company have indicated that they will soon swiftly become a highly regarded force due to some succesful encounters against both Orks and even some traitor marines. they are being reinforced by some tempestus scions and ogryn to bolster their numbers to aid their fighting skills. One skill they have found is in acquiring Plasma, be it in hand held pistols and assault rifles, Plasma cannon armoured Sentinels or even a rare Leman Russ Executioner. How they are doing this is baffling any observers but on more than one occasion the hierachy have been heard saying "It's not always what you know, it's who you know"!

My Valkyrie is complete for the most part. Decals will come at some point. Will post a pic this evening or tomorrow.

As promised:

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a496/Odogg242/photo1_zps5185e71f.jpg

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a496/Odogg242/photo2_zps0962fc81.jpg

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a496/Odogg242/photo3_zpsfe469fb9.jpg

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a496/Odogg242/photo4_zpsffeb1272.jpg

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a496/Odogg242/photo5_zpsc2fbeb77.jpg

I glued the doors shut on this one, the next one I probably wont. This is the first flyer I've ever painted, and I am happy with it... but it COULD be better msn-wink.gif

Sadly I have no name or write up for her yet. boo hiss.

Goliath's Bane

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/coffeegrunt/WP_20140926_08_11_12_Pro.jpg

Vehicle Fluff:

The Goliath's Bane is the last remaining Vendetta gunship salvaged from the Elysian strike force that attempted to reclaim Taros that has been assigned to the 4th Tarosian Regiment. Among the fleet of aging transports, it is considered something of a valuable relic, its gratuitous firepower being very sought after for engagements both against heavy armoured vehicles, and mighty beasts.

Originally named Heretic's Bane, the Goliath's Bane earned its new title during the aerial engagements against Hive Fleet Orochi. As part of a coordinated campaign with the Tau of Von'ta, the Tarosian regiments united to face the enemy on the vast desert plains of Taros Secundus. Here the vast armoured force met the hordes of Orochi. A wall of Leman Russ tanks hid a line of artillery, with battalions of stoic soldiers standing before them all, holding the line as horror after horror was unleashed upon the line they promised never to yield. 

The story of the battles of Taros Secundus and its moons, and the exploits and sacrifices of its human and Tau defenders are a story for another time. In this battle, the Goliath's Bane led a spearhead of Valkyrie gunships and its sister Vendetta gunships against the massive Bio-Titan that had landed beyond the range of the tanks, strafing it with laser and missile fire as it moved to shatter the defensive line and doom Taros Secundus.

The Hive Mind reacted, and swarms of Hive Crones descended, tearing Valkyries and Vendettas from the sky in plumes of incandescent smoke. Gunships peeled off to engage the new threats as Hydra Autocannons turned to support their brethren in the sky. Through lines of streaming Autocannon fire, screaming, falling gunships and swooping Crones, the Goliath's Bane descended with a keening roar of its engines. Lascannons pounded the mighty Bio-Titan's skull, the first volley merely scorching away the chitinous plate. The vessel swung round as it descended, coming to a Hover before the angered monstrosity that threatened the beleaguered tank line. The creature roared a challenge of unintelligible rage, the force of its scream buffeting Goliath's Bane but not shaking it from its target. As the mighty Titan brought it weapons to bear, power returned to the exhausted Lascannons, and the Vendetta unleashed a sextet of vivid, crimson beams, searing into the creatures face and eye sockets, and punishing through to the rear of its skull. Collapsing into death throes that shook the ground for miles around, the Bio-Titan fell to ruin among its smaller compatriots, crushing entire swarms as the entrenched Guardsmen screamed in victory, surging forth with fury and newfound confidence as the tank line rumbled forward behind them, pushing the last, scattered creatures away before them as the Hive Mind's grip on its peons slackened with the psychic scream of the Titan's last, twitching thoughts.

Regimental fluff to follow, more pics here in my thread.

A good completion Coffee, the weathering really makes it look like it's been flying through a desert and suffered the consequences! A great introduction to the Regiments challenge, don't forget the regimental background for that extra promotion from Corporal to Sergeant :D

A day remains, looks like some of us will be cutting it fine but as long as you beat the deadline it doesn't matter by how much ;)

A good completion Coffee, the weathering really makes it look like it's been flying through a desert and suffered the consequences! A great introduction to the Regiments challenge, don't forget the regimental background for that extra promotion from Corporal to Sergeant biggrin.png

A day remains, looks like some of us will be cutting it fine but as long as you beat the deadline it doesn't matter by how much msn-wink.gif

did you get my regimental background?

Archived