Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

++ The Harrowing - An Alpha Legion Community ++

Alpha Legion XX Legion Legio XX Chaos Space Marines Heretic Astartes

• Please log in to reply
1312 replies to this topic

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,283 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion (Night Blades)

Yeah, the Alpha Legion are definitely rockstars.  Not until they've beaten you-and then they get their Vegeta-like "And now, you bear witness to the True Tactical Genius of the Alpha Legion!  Your Codex Astartes is nothing more than meaningless sanitary paper, written by a slovenly buffon!  You think our Primarch dead by Guilliman's feeble gambit?  He lives within us ALL."

I'm thinking very strongly about making an Alpha Legion army, of all the Legions I like them the most, only really disliking their name.  I may even have this army be a Dual or even tri purpose army (Chaos, Horus Heresy Alpha Legion, and Vanilla Marines).  

I am "Doing it Right" in that I'm going to have a test model for each potential Model Type painted out in the scheme so I don't run into the problem I was running into with my Red Corsairs (the color scheme I had just wasn't working on Terminators...and I was confused as hell over what to do about Raptors-I LOVE the models, but all the raised surfaces on them make me sadfaced)

I'm going for an...experimental paint scheme.  A Greatcoat Grey base coat, with silver trim, and using colored pencils to draw scales and camo patterns onto the larger parts of the models-shaded by Coelia Greenshade.  I've already tested the Greenshade over the Grey paint I'm going to be using-and I like the look of it.  My next step will be developing a painting method for each model type as I said before so I don't come out with a color scheme I don't like again-if I happen to fail at it again, I'll strip and paint them as Black Legion (Rustoleum automotive primer, strong tone dip, paint the details)

I know they aren't tactically sound, but I kinda want Ubergrit CSMs, maybe with the Mark of Slaanesh and an Apothecary on a Stiiick, to represent being prepared for any contingency, hit first (before most marines) and have better survival rates with the FNP.

Edited by Trevak Dal, 24 August 2014 - 07:42 PM.

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

Tenebris

Tenebris

++ SERVATOR FERINUS ++

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,548 posts
  • Faction: XVth

Well they are the legion who always wished to be "the best". The Emperor's Children were the most perfect, the Sons of Horus the most victorious, the Ultramaries the most organized,... and so on. But of all those legions the XXth was very clear in their claim that they want to be the best soldiers of the Imperium, not warriors nor crusaders, the best soldiers. That is why they have quickly removed themselves from things which are not integral to a soldier, such as morality, antiquated codes of honour, individuality... The lesson of the Alpha Legion is the lesson of a clear martial pride and an iron will and discipline behind it. Their marines strived to be removed from things like emotions, morals, questions and anything that could play fun with your mind when you are a soldier, and this is why I love them, they came to Chaos not as unwilling pawns or as deluded believers, arrogant conquerors or the like... they came to Chaos as one comes to a truth, with deliberate consideration, with as much knowledge as possible and with a clear idea what they are expected to do and what are they expected to become. 

Whether they are traitors, loyalists or fools is of no concern to them. When they fight for Chaos they fight as a soldier of Chaos, they are above morals or concerns as long as their mission is met and their legion victorious. Even the side is of no concern for in the end they know that inevitably Chaos is in the ascendant, that everything begins and ends in chaos and they are well aware that the "Imperium" is not the true destiny of mankind, nor a regime which was in line with the vision of the Emperor. The Alphas are simply enlightened, yet I do not see them as crusaders for the Chaos cause, but more as the logical transition, merging of an astartes legion, with the knowledge of Chaos. I don't see them as slaves or pawns of the Chaos Gods but as a military force which knows full well the will of the Dark Gods but also the need of humanity as a whole. They are also unconcerned by the petty hatred of xenos or the demands of the traitors. The Alpha Legion is effectively an autonomous force, an instrument of change, evolution and adaptation.  

PS: I ask for the possibility to change the name of the community to "The Harrowing"

Edited by Tenebris, 25 August 2014 - 04:57 PM.

• Marshal Traben and Daemon2027 like this
There is only the Truth. I do not know what it is, but I do believe in it!

Attributed to Dark Apostle Toren Mar, Chapter of the Broken Seal, 71st Host, Word Bearers Legion.

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Daemon2027

Daemon2027

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,928 posts
I second, The Harrowing would sound awesome.

And Forte where is our badge :P

Sviar

Sviar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 777 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

Prod accepted (was going to ask if it was needed by the OP) msn-wink.gif

Greatsmile.png I'm looking forward to seeing your Alpha Legion badge. 

I don't have the game or live anymore, so I can't photoshoot my Alpha Legionaire with upgraded PC.

I'm sorry Incinerator, I can't help you with that. I don't know how to get a picture out from my PS3, and I didn't get that far online to recieve a upgraded PC. If you wanted to advance you had to pay(after a while), and I would gladely have done that if the online had worked properly. But it took forever to get online, sometimes even that was impossible. 

PS: I ask for the possibility to change the name of the community to "The Harrowing"

Donesmile.png

• Forté likes this

Sviar

Sviar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 777 posts

Does anyone here own the Index Asartes books? If not check out the Alpha Legion here:

http://www.scribd.co...Hydra-Dominatus

Hyaenidae

Hyaenidae

++ VETERANUS GRAVIOR ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,326 posts
  • Faction: IV Legion

++++Incoming Transmission++++

++Time distortion detected: Potential 10, 000 years, Side-real++

+Message structure compromised: Alpha Legion Ident: Sigma-Sigma-Phi-Omega+

+Attempting to re-structure message: 70% Failure Rate+

+Message recovered is as follows+

My former Brothers,

We are one, but we are many, aren't we? One of us dies, two takes his place; two more to collide with each other, to interrupt each other. Two more minds, believing they are one, but in truth are of an independent mind. Each head of the Hydra, free-thinking and paranoid.

The LD-A of the Cadejo and Hyena refuse the betrayal. We deny our Primarchs and their revolt against the rightful Throne. And we will fight you every step of the way to Terra, in the Emperor's name.

See you in hell, you bastards.

-Cell-Commander Rhorke, LD-A 517 Hyena-

+Mesasge Ends+

• Daemon2027 likes this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Tenebris

Tenebris

++ SERVATOR FERINUS ++

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,548 posts

Simply epic. One of the most inspiring video tributes for a 40k army out there. The monastic choir thing evokes this feeling of hermeneutic orders, secrets within secrets and truths, oh so many truths. 

• Fury_of_Fenris likes this

Attributed to Dark Apostle Toren Mar, Chapter of the Broken Seal, 71st Host, Word Bearers Legion.

Xin Ceithan

Xin Ceithan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,515 posts
  • Faction: The Obsidian Coil, XXth Legio
I always liked that "supervillain" aspect if done properly...after all, what's the point in a perfect crime when no one knows about it? ;)
Call_of_Chaos_7_Banner_01c.jpgCall_of_Chaos_9_Banner_01b.jpg

Daemon2027

Daemon2027

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,928 posts

++++Incoming Transmission++++
++Time distortion detected: Potential 10, 000 years, Side-real++
+Message structure compromised: Alpha Legion Ident: Sigma-Sigma-Phi-Omega+
+Attempting to re-structure message: 70% Failure Rate+

+Message recovered is as follows+

My former Brothers,

We are one, but we are many, aren't we? One of us dies, two takes his place; two more to collide with each other, to interrupt each other. Two more minds, believing they are one, but in truth are of an independent mind. Each head of the Hydra, free-thinking and paranoid.

The LD-A of the Cadejo and Hyena refuse the betrayal. We deny our Primarchs and their revolt against the rightful Throne. And we will fight you every step of the way to Terra, in the Emperor's name.

See you in hell, you bastards.

-Cell-Commander Rhorke, LD-A 517 Hyena-

+Mesasge Ends+

++Message received++

+Reply Formulated+

[Broadcast to all LF-A 517 Hyena channels]

The Harrowing comes for you brothers.

-One of Many-

+Reply Sent+

the emperor is scottish

the emperor is scottish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 505 posts
I've had an idea for an alpha legion force for a while. Very bate bones.

An alpha legion squad led by a librarian hunker down on a planet after the heresy. They set up a base in a hollowed out cavern cut into the planets crust.

The entire squad bar one are kept in stasis for x amount of years while the single member receives telepathic mesages from the librarian on how better to twist the population. After their allotted time the single member sleeps and I replace by an awakening brother to save any one member gaining to much power.

This way they can survive the centuries that tick away, corrupting an entire planet if not sytem through popular culture, drugs, money, power etc until the librarian believes the imperium is week enough to strike.

Not very fleshed out or informative but just a silly idea I had that didn't come to anything.

Vesper

Vesper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,549 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion

What i hate about these threads is that there's still no love for the Black Legion. :(

vesper.png Lord Silas, Knight of Thorns, Lord of the Lions of the Despoiler.

Tenebris

Tenebris

++ SERVATOR FERINUS ++

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,548 posts

tsk tsk Vesper, only the cool kids can play as Alpha Legion. 

My estimate is around to weeks so that the first proper reviews of Talon of Horus come out and you will not only have your thread but also we will be swimming in Black Legion armies. 

• Hyaenidae likes this

Dragonlover

Dragonlover

++ PATRIS ANGUIGENA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,017 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion

If anyone plays against Dark Angels, do a brother a favour and give them a pasting will you? Got utterly stomped yesterday, and even vicarious vengeance would be nice.

Dragonlover

incinerator950

incinerator950

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,240 posts
  • Faction: Putrefactors
I can't even play on live with the ban, and even if I pull more shenanigans for my other account, I'd much rather play borderlands or armored core, despite missing my armor.

Still, add Brodahviing. Also, I use my phone for pics.
<p>"Yes but the rocket launcher lawnchairs only have 1 beer holder, where as the reg lawnchairs have beer holders on both sides so it's a hard choice."~chillin

Forté

Forté

+ + OBLECTAMEN SACRISTAN ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 9,355 posts
  • Faction: Divine Flayers

One tag for those who are not afraid to admit they are AL. Sviar, let me know if you would like any changes :tu:

gallery_29004_9303_652.png

• Cpt_Tiberius, Ahrimannine, Marshal Traben and 2 others like this

gallery_29004_9303_17868.pnggallery_29004_9303_708.pnggallery_29004_9303_27433.pnggallery_29004_10691_328.pnggallery_29004_10691_4210.png

Click on the images above for the different thread links

My Putty & Paint gallery

Tenebris

Tenebris

++ SERVATOR FERINUS ++

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,548 posts

++Operation Doppelgänger++ ... priority status Delta

The Splinter is Black. The snake is slithering...

...redirecting... still snakes, but black now...

...Omicron Theta Phi - the heads are rising, the maws are opening, the tail is trashing...

...caution... the Warmaster... suspects... allows... observes... caution...

The Gate... it will be opened from inside...

Hydra Dominatus!

++vox cast over, termination protocols issued++ 

Imperialis_Dominatus

Imperialis_Dominatus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,674 posts
  • Faction: Many and Various

++Inquisition Datafile re: Serpentine Conclave++

The subversive tactics of the Alpha Legion are legendary amongst those priveleged to such knowledge in the Imperium, and the Serpentine Conclave is one of the most infamous of all. Careful scrutiny by lexmechaniacs and autosavants has linked this coven of Alpha Legion lieutenants to insurrections, suicide cults, assassinations, and sabotage on a grand scale throughout the Imperium and throughout the ages with no discernible pattern save a number of short-term victories and gains. Some attribute this to the fractious nature of Chaos, but most Inquisitors are fearful that it is merely that the Conclave's long-standing goals, whatever they may be, are yet to come to fruition and that there must be some goal that can be discerned- and stopped.

When intelligence gathered suggests that one or more of the Conclave are to be present at a battle, officers close to the front are often rushed encrypted dataslates from shadowy, yet clearly high ranking, sources prioritizing the capture or death of the operative(s). Sadly, on those occasions when a member of the Conclave is actually present at such a battle, conditions are so confused that it is rare that these commands will be enacted in either the time or concentration necessary to defeat such mighty Chaos Space Marines. And the Inquisition and its allies will never truly know if this is the battle in which they have crippled the Conclave, or if there are yet more of these schemers out there, seeding the rebellion of hives and plotting the downfall of sectors.

This signature to remain blank as a mark of penance following my long exile, to be redeemed by the creation of worthwhile content and the reclamation of my good name.

Alpha One

Alpha One

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts
"Alpharius? I am Alpharius, He is Alpharius, We are all Alpharius..." - Unknown Alpha Legionnaire

Alpha One reporting.

Hydra Dominatus!
262m9gh.jpgivzjh0.jpg

"Alpharius? I am Alpharius, He is Alpharius, We are all Alpharius..." - Unknown Alpha Legionnaire

"Do not presume to warn me "brother", I am already forewarned, be warned however that the Hydra has many heads and you will be swallowed whole before you can severe them all." - Alpha One to an unknown loyalist

Alpha One

Alpha One

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts
Apologies for the double post but I have urgent querries for the resident Harrowmasters...

Q. Given what I may or may not understand of the Legion and given they did not flee into the Eye or the Maelstrom with the other traitors, is it safe to assume that 1. Almost all of the Heresy-Era Legionnaires are dead (due to them not being in a time Warp or invigorated by the Warp itself), 2. That they still possess the ability and facilities to create new Astartes in the traditional sense as their geneseed remains uncorrupted and they may or may not be able to create new geneseed from Alpharius Omegon who may or may not in fact be alive, 3. That they use all current Astartes equipment that they have may or may not have obtained through raids on or battles with loyalist or mechanicus forces, not to mention falsifying documentation to obtain the newest equipment from the Mechanicus,

Q. Would Alpha Legionnaires actually personalize their armor and or add spiky bits and Chaos-y stuffs if they may or may not have intentionally succumbed to the corrupting influence of Chaos to possibly further the secret goals of their Legion?

Q. Why do people forget 1. That the Legion exists within the bounds of Imperial space but may or may not intentionally stay away from the Eye and Maelstrom to avoid unnecessary corruption? / 2. That Space Marines rarely live to be a thousand years old without the time-bending effects of the Warp or the invigoration of Chaos itself?

Off topic but related: Is Mk VI, VII and VIII PA truly superior to Mk IV or are they really just side grades? / If Mk IV is superior, would the Legion still have the capabilities to produce and maintain said armor?

And remember... it's all lies. ;)

Edited by Alpha One, 30 August 2014 - 09:37 PM.

262m9gh.jpgivzjh0.jpg

"Do not presume to warn me "brother", I am already forewarned, be warned however that the Hydra has many heads and you will be swallowed whole before you can severe them all." - Alpha One to an unknown loyalist

incinerator950

incinerator950

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,240 posts
  • Faction: Putrefactors
Yes.

Armor is a tricky subject, because older marks were more difficult for them to manufacture back when they had them as it was. Unique, relic, and artificer suits also fall into that category except being superior as an art piece or actually being modified to be better. Newer marks are simplified, easier to produce, and offer relatively the same protection, save Errant having more plating around the neck while having more to cover pipes and rear armor. Aegis suits being different for other reasons.

So in essence, newer marks are "better", but relative to their time and the mechanicums manufacturing. Chaos Legions and Warbands covet new marks as a status symbol and a chance for repairs, Loyalists maintain older marks for reserve them as holy relics and honor uses, while also prizing the newer marks like the Errant modifications. Not everyone has the new models, Space Sharks and certain successor chapters often were not equipped past certain heresy equipment.

Armor for Astartes doesn't roughly follow the tradition that other older tech follows. I myself am extremely partial to much of the studded mk V equipment while I would love to get a hold of mk VI beaks for my entire army. Which was common for my Space Marine characters.
<p>"Yes but the rocket launcher lawnchairs only have 1 beer holder, where as the reg lawnchairs have beer holders on both sides so it's a hard choice."~chillin

Redtoof

Redtoof

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 591 posts

Apologies for the double post but I have urgent querries for the resident Harrowmasters...

Q. Given what I may or may not understand of the Legion and given they did not flee into the Eye or the Maelstrom with the other traitors, is it safe to assume that...

No. This is the Alpha Legion. It is not safe to assume anything.

I do a blog. It has battle reports and stuff on it.
https://redtoof.blogspot.co.uk/

Tenebris

Tenebris

++ SERVATOR FERINUS ++

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,548 posts

Hmm, lets see. The main, the undercurrent theme of the Alpha Legion is not their sneaky style but replication. Each Cell of operatives, each Harrowing, each Splinter has a way or finds a way to replicate. It is the whole concept of the Alpha Legion, they can tank losses, they can recover from suicide missions, they can resist the purges of the Inquisition and still be fully operational. What this means?

In HH: Extermination we know that the Alpha Legion had massive centres of recruitment and implantation spread across the galaxy in secret locations. Not only that, they had secred manofactorums, shipyards and bases of operations, as well as countless caches of weapons to be used when in dire need. In M41 the Alpha Legion is still able to replicate marines and still has access to some of this hidden bases but here comes to play the division between HH era vets and new recruits.

It is safe to assume that the majority of the Alpha Legion are now Chaos, one cannot escape the corruption once he is illuminated with the truth about Chaos. I expect that the modern Alpha Legion is led by ancient masters from the shadows, the marines who have fought in the Heresy and who now either reside in the Eye, Maelstrom or somehow prolong their lives, while on the other hand the fighting is done by new recruits. Keep in mind the following, when you have an ideal, it erodes with time, so I consider the ancient masters quite the free agents and theirs is only an echo of the ancient ideals of the legion. Then you have the new recruits, elevated in the astartes ranks as squads, not as individuals, with either stolen geneseed or Alpha Legion geneseed (which was said to be impressive). This recruits know almost nothing of what happened before so I assume that they are the perfect subjects to indoctrinate for the specific purpose of a Cell. Some cells might indoctrinate them to be loyalists, some to be traitors, but all share the common tactics and traits of an Alpha Legionnaire. Consider also that the Alpha Legion is very conservative of its strength, committing only when the battle is inevitable so a lot of their assets are still very much operational in M41. 

As for prolonging the lifespan, we have stasis fields, rejuvenate treatments, warp magicks, technomancy, xenos technology. In short a flexible legion like the Alpha Legion has a wealth of options to support its astartes.

As for the armour, Alpha Legion is flexible. They always had an inclination to adapt the newest and deadliest technology available to them so not only I think they have the access to all the new marks but much like with the Alpha Corvus armour during the HH, they can very well have the facilities to manofacture anything up to the newest Errant armours. As for the adornments of the armour, depends on what is the goal of the Cell. Alpha Legion is know to constantly shift markings, templates, squads and formations and all this is reflected on the armour. I think covert operations demand for pristine suits of armour but when battle is joined the full horror and majesty of Chaos are made apparent. They want you to see what they have become and what they can do to you. So spikes, chains and trophies can be a given.  Are the newest marks superior? No, they are perhaps more efficient but not superior. HH era marks are beyond the newest marks in both crafstmanship, maintenance and materials. 

• Emperors Immortals, Sviar, Xin Ceithan and 1 other like this

Alpha One

Alpha One

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts
Thank you for your detailed and well thought out reply Tenebris, definitely helps with some future purchase decisions. :)

Unless of course it was all lies. ;)
262m9gh.jpgivzjh0.jpg

Sviar

Sviar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 777 posts

One tag for those who are not afraid to admit they are AL. Sviar, let me know if you would like any changes thumbsup.gif

gallery_29004_9303_652.png

It looks great. Fantastic job Forte.

I only wish I had the knowledge to put it in my sig, which is filled with a lot of links. The shown images is put there by WarriorFish.

• Forté likes this

Alpha One

Alpha One

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts
If you have the direct url to the image in question all you need to do is add [img] to the beginning and [/img) to the end of it.

Example: [img]http://www.hydradominatus.net/gallery/alpharius.png[/img)

(I added a close parenthesis instead of a close bracket at the end of /img to not unintentionally activate the bbcode)

Edited by Alpha One, 31 August 2014 - 11:42 PM.

• Sviar likes this
262m9gh.jpgivzjh0.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alpha Legion, XX Legion, Legio XX, Chaos Space Marines, Heretic Astartes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users