++ The Harrowing - An Alpha Legion Community ++

Sviar

"For the Emperor"!

Welcome! Always good when operatives break cover and announce their presence...then you know there is mayhem waiting in the future, hehe! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Welcome, operative! :)

Yeah, the FW colour scheme is pretty crazy and for us without an airbrush it's a bit difficult...though, for a post-heresy force you can pretty much choose yourself what colours they want since the legion splinters so much.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Greetings alpharius

Loving the rule leaks so far, some thing i wish were different but i can understand balance reasons, atleast we get some form of infiltrate.

I have come up with a couple of list ideas however, would love some feedback from other insidious masterminds

"Friendly"

HQ

lord

Drakescale plate

Power axe

Sigil of corruption

Sorcerer

Lvl 3

Aura

Spell familiar

ELITES

Contemptor

2 butcher cannons

Contemptor

2 butcher cannons

TROOPS

5 chosen

4 plasmaguns

Powerfist and combi plasma

Rhino

10 csm

2 melta

Powerfist and combi melta

Rhino

10 csm

2 melta

Powerfist and combi melta

Rhino

16 cultists

HEAVY SUPPORT

5 havocs

4 meltaguns

Combi melta, power sword and meltabombs

Rhino

Sicaran

Armoured ceramite

Idea is that the csm and headhunters (chosen) infiltrate with the cultists bubble wrapping them on one flank, lord and sorc join the havocs and race up to lend a hand or intercept any deep strikers

Contemptors and sicaran reach out and hold the other flank at bay and shred and light tanks

Yup, but we'll see when the book comes out. Noob is a great guy for writing down the rules but the writing could have been better. :)

Personally I don't think it's that big of a deal. I'll be driving around my HQ with a biker gang...with the 3d6 move around relic! Man, that mobility, lol!

I just thought of something.

Remember that Crimson Slaughter formation with the cultists that brought back D6 cultists every turn?

What if you combined that with Alpha Legion's return cultists on a 4+...

Though it would have to say that cultists that come back still belong to their original detachment.

Well, they would be opposed to each other though. If d6 cultists come back all the time the unit wouldn't be taken out as easily and can't come back.

Alpha Legion cultist spam though, lol. Too bad they're getting on from your own side so they won't be doing much...

Well, they would be opposed to each other though. If d6 cultists come back all the time the unit wouldn't be taken out as easily and can't come back.

Alpha Legion cultist spam though, lol. Too bad they're getting on from your own side so they won't be doing much...

wont they have outflank due to infiltrate?

Tested yesterday the new detachment and a few of the relics. That Mindveil with a unit of terminators was golden. CSM without any bonuses apart from infiltrate are lacking a bit, I think chosen is the way to go for AL. My list was based on Veteranoob leaks which I think are not complete, but I got my dice itch covered, now I can wait in peace till Saturday :smile.:

Oh, and a little pic. Squad finished yesterday :

http://i64.tinypic.com/p3c3o.jpg

I'm trying to remember all the Alpha Legion rules, but I wouldn't worry about getting D6 cultists back a turn conflicting with wiping them out and getting them back on a 4+....

I found when I played my Crimson Slaughter, people learned to wipe the Cultists out in a turn thus preventing me from getting D6 back.

I found when I played the LatD core with Traitor's Hate, people learned to leave 1-3 alive in a turn thus preventing me from potentially replacing the squad. 

This is even better because there is no 'right way' to play against the Cultists. ;)

For chosen, back in the day when they could infiltrate I used to just kit them out with Melta. I'd probably try to fit 2 squads in if plausible (or maybe just CSM with Melta/CombiMelta) and give the Rhino's for sure because of Interceptor/ I've been expecting you. 

I don't know the Alpha rules though so I could be missing something but LatD seem like a must for Alpha?

Well for my CC Chosen that accompanies my foot lord in a land raider, I'd take 2 with Power Fists, 2 with Twin Lightning Claws, and a Champion with Power Fist. Since the lord has Melta Bomb + Power Fist + Sigil, it works. Altogether 575.

How do you achieve that metallic look? I'm planning out a paint scheme for Alpha Legion and can't seem to get the teal-metallic combo down.

I use vallejo arctic blue then temple guard blue highlight followed by waywatcher green wash. It's a very simple and effective paint scheme. You can't see it on the picture, but they change colour under the light from blue to green. It's pretty amazing. 

@Prot - nowhere did I see that they'll have access to that regenerating cultist formation. I hope they do, because I really don't get their detachment benefit otherwise.

@adreal - I took two units of chosen with 4 melta. During my deployment I realized I can't shoot in the first turn, because infiltrate say's you have to deploy outside of 18" from the enemy, and melta have only 12" range. I'll have to buy rhinos for the melta units. But for other weapons a 5 man squad with 2 special is good enough, especially as a troop choice.  When you compare chosen with CSM, they are actually very much worth it. A CSM unit with additional CC weapons is only 7 points cheaper then chosen. So for 7 points you get access to special/heavy/CC weapons, and an extra attack.  Next time I'm probably gonna try units of 5 with an autocannon and 2 plasma guns. More static, but it could be a good loadout for infiltrators.

You can't. In the supplements formations have restrictions which say for example "This is a Crimson Slaughter Formation" which means it cannot be also an Alpha Legion Formation. 
In addition that cultists rule as far as we know is a Detachment benefit, which means that a cultist formation must be available in that detachment for the benefit to work.

You can't. In the supplements formations have restrictions which say for example "This is a Crimson Slaughter Formation" which means it cannot be also an Alpha Legion Formation.

In addition that cultists rule as far as we know is a Detachment benefit, which means that a cultist formation must be available in that detachment for the benefit to work.

Wow is it?

If it's a decurion rule than it is literally useless, because the lost and the Damned thing is much better.

Here are our confirmed leaks, brothers!

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/12/codex-traitor-legions-alpha-legion.html

Highlight is the Many Heads of the Hydra rule! Giving us Chosen as Troops (oh, the joy! I always wondered how I could take more!) and Infiltrate on Cultists, Chosen, and CSMs was an easy way out (the Mutable Tactics in 30k is way fluffier), and I appreciate, from a mechanistic point of view, the Hidden Deployment rule. Might not mean much against Tau, but at least I'll be obliterated at BS7, and not BS8. The Cult Uprising is pants (I play Unending Host with CSM allies). Cultists cost more and have worse options than Renegade Guardsmen, which come back on a 2+ in the Unending Host detachment. The lack of Marks is good from fluff point of view, though hamstringing us further isn't what we needed from a game balance point of view. I feel we missed out on Fearless here. 

While in its entirety it is fluffy and all, and I really appreciate Simon Grant had to base this on the CSM codex, we're still about 14 sammiches, toppings, drinks, a blanket, and a picnic basket short of a picnic here. At least we can have food-fight with da Boyz in the canteen while them prissy Eldar, fish-folk, and aquila-polishers go on their picnic. 

Archived