++ The Harrowing - An Alpha Legion Community ++

Sviar

My Cohort is force who are loyal to primarch of the 20th Legiones Astartes.

They are believers of the Imperial Truth, seeing the "gods" as collective manifestation of the id.

To worship them is to worship ones basic, instinctual drives.

They view chaos as a highly volatile resource to be used.

Huh...I don't know. They never told me.:ermm:

I really haven't fleshed out much fluff for my cell. They started as a kill team using Legion Astartes rules for Heralds of Ruin that became two dozen plus operatives unit (10 termies and 17 marines). I simply imagine them as a spectre causing havoc during the Horus Heresy and have been doing so up until the current timeline.

The only part I went into detail about was Ultramarine's Captain Amali Sauriph & his Fourth Shadow Company whose names and actions are celebrated on a dozen imperial worlds, under scrutiny from the Inquisition, and has the Ultramarines tilting their heads and shrugging their shoulders. I posted their fluff in the Inspirational Friday thread on this same forum.

Omicron Company follow the Last Command of the Primarch: as the traitors evacuated from Terra, Alpharius ordered Omicron's commander to learn about Chaos and to employ it as a weapon against the Imperium. But not willy nilly; their mission was to identify corrupt, ineffective, or inefficient Imperial institutions and cull them like a surgeon cutting away cancer before it can do more harm to the body. Over the intervening millennia, of course, Omicron has lost its way and the Last Command is in truth nothing but a rationalization for the warband's participation in the Long War.

Greek motive is reserved for Ultras.  There is no such thing as "medieval Europe" in design patters.  Every country in "medieval Europe" has its separate pattern.

What? Nope. Loads of both Legions and Chapters have clear Greek influences, be it the Minotaurs, Alpha Legion, or Ultramarines.

I mean. HYDRAS. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5952226

I always considered Ultramarines more Roman than Greek influenced (apart from their chapter symbol obviously). From my very very limited classics knowledge I’ve always associated Greeks with innovation and a certain amount of flair, while the Romans were more organised and pragmatic and eventually ‘won’. Seems to suit the Alpha Legion/Ultramarines relationship relatively well.

My Warband helped instigate the Night of a Thousand Rebellions that led to the Sabbat Crusade. A female Inquisitor named Matika Lian of the Ordo Malleus investigating the rash of Daemonic Incursions gripping led a daring raid against a Chaos Cult attempting to summon daemons of the Plague God. Matika was the only one to escape alive and the Alpha Legion Sorcerer leading the ritual vanished without a trace. Matika contacted the Grey Knights to combat the devastating incursion affecting the world and they responded quickly. The Warband leader of The Sons of Silence against the counsel of his Chosen ordered an invasion of the world as it was too vital a domino for the collapse of the Segmentum to allow it to be saved by the Grey Knights. In the battle that inevitably followed the Chaos Lord managed to slay the Grand Master but only after he was wounded and his Daemonic protection banished. The Captain having detected the taint on the random legionnaire and not the decoy leader attacked the one who slew the Grand Master and successfully killed him. The decoy engaged him in combat only to realize that retreat was preferable to a duel he could win but would ultimately die by reinforcements. He and his bodyguard teleported away from the world. Enraged by the failure an aspiring champion and his ship attacked Dynat seeing him and his leader's weakness as the cause of the failure. He and his crew narrowly escaped and headed to the Eye of Terror. Here, Dynat after months of searching found the daemon world of Falsehood to try and petition for more forces to attack the Imperium once more and regain favor. The Daemon Prince He'lgoth, the original Strikemaster of the Warband before his apotheosis, forced he and many other aspiring champions into a contest of wits and martial prowess to determine who was most fit to lead the Warband in realspace for the 13th Black Crusade. After much bloodshed and politicking with Dark Magos from the Hell Forges and various Exalted Champions Dynat was able to wrestle leadership from his hated rivals to lead a fleet into the Cadian Gate. His Warband was present in secret for the Fall of Cadia and now seeks to spark insurrection and get revenge against the Grey Knights and Inquisitor Lian.

• 2 weeks later...

My lord inquisitor we have received transmission that may be of heretic origin

Heretic named Al:

"The name's Alpha.

Short for Alpharius.

Long for Al.

So you can call me Al"

Unknown heretic:

"When exactly did you lose your mind?"

Heretic named Al:

"Three months ago Terran standard

I woke up one morning married to an Aeldari

An ugly Aeldari.

*sigh* But I loved her"

• 1 month later...

I've thought about it, but ultimately never did. While it would be wonderfully fluffy, it never seemed practical to me,in terms of actual game play. Having a cohesive force on the table much more thematic in appearance.

Closest I've come to that is painting some plague marines as if their Alpha Legion paint has chipped and flaked off from rot. With other cult troops I'll probably do something similar, but that's about it.

Yeah it doesn't really make much sense. If they infiltrate something they wouldn't just wear the colours but also adapt their targets behaviour so an AL Marine infiltrate for example Iron Warriors would efficiently be just another Iron Warrior Marine until he reveals himself (if he does do at all).

Likewise AL Marines who are working together as AL army wouldn't have the need to wear another chapter/legions colours either.

I started to for kicks and giggles. It just seems like fun idea to try out and model/paint for the Alpha Legion if you got the time and extra models.

Years ago another B&C frater did a sweet squad of chosen for his AL and made them look like Ultramarines...but with some interesting changes in details. I wanted berzerkers and got a wild hair to try out that same. I made them look like Ultramarine veterans but with some changes to their emblems (though I can't sculpt for :censored:) and having the metallic green/blue armor showing on some parts of armor. You can see them in my log. It was going to be doubly fun as one of our guys has a substantial UM army. I wanted to see his face as he saw these guys infiltrate and proceed to charge into his guys.

What I still would like to do are some AL disguised as Raven Guard as well as some disguised as Deathwatch (chosen with some kind of combi weapons). I really had been thinking about the DW as an infiltrated AL kill team lately.

So I don't know if this is a good idea or not. I'm looking to build an Alpha Legion detachment to provide fire support for my World Eaters assault troops. I figure their "Hidden in Plain Sight" trait would make the havocs and whatever else in the backfield harder for my main opponent's Dark Angels hellblasters to hit. 

I was planning on loading up on havocs and maybe a helbrute, led by a terminator lord.

Does this seem like a reasonable idea? I've never played any chaos army but World Eaters.

Also, I've liked the Alpha Legion lore for a long time and this gives me an excuse to finally build a small force.

I loved my AL Havocs. Their legion trait and the fact you can infiltrate them is nice. I honestly am unsure of the termi lord and your plans for him. I'd rather have a regular lord nearby my havocs giving some rerolls. Or if  needed a jump pack one that can raptor strike nearby them to help out. Helbrutes are alright. There are some good loadouts you can give them, but I am more of a contemptor fan if you have the points to spare. It has some nice guns and better BS.

100% agreed with Iron Father. Plus, pretty much all of my lists have that kind of spearhead detachment in it. Havocs in cover are a hard target to take out, and are often ignored. Lascannons and autoguns can get work done. The las/missile dread is... Okay. Some games it's an mvp, some games it's just kinda there. Camping a Lord back there makes them all extremely effective, and adds some extra area denial. No need for tda, honestly, as most games won't ever see him in range to shoot a pistol at anything.

It's a good mix. The hit penalty will force your enemy to want to get closer, which is exactly where your assault troops will want them to go. Plus, it unlocks Forward Operatives. Deck a havoc squad out with full plasma (or any other type of unit, really) and have them pop up wherever you want turn one. Welcome to the world of the Hydra.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

I think I will ditch the TDA lord and go with regular power armor. Also lascannons and autocannons seem to be a popular choice. I've always run mostly heavy bolters on my World Eaters havocs, mostly due to avalability, and they seemed to do alright against regular marines, but ever since my buddy got all of his hellblasters I have been seriously outgunned.

I hadn't thought about using Forward Operatives, that is a fantastic idea! I could take out some things in the backfield and they might draw fire from my Spartan/berzerker bomb.

Would it be useful to add some additional marines armed with bolters to the havoc squads, or is that a waste of points. Also, what contemptor weapons do you feel perform well? 

Archived