Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

++ The Harrowing - An Alpha Legion Community ++

Alpha Legion XX Legion Legio XX Chaos Space Marines Heretic Astartes

• Please log in to reply
1312 replies to this topic

Sviar

Sviar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 777 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

That is a beautiful sculpted Contemptor.

Any thoughts then? I'm just curious to see if it was what people expected more or less...

They did a good job on the stats. The one thing I missed though would be that in turn two, in your shooting phase you point to one of the oppoments mini and call it an Alpha Legion insurgent, and takes controll over that mini. Now that's table top gaming with flufflaugh.png

Have to admit, the AL may have me tempted on the HH side of things.

That was the plan all along, the question was how long it would takemsn-wink.gif laugh.png

Mixzremixzd

Mixzremixzd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16 posts

Any thoughts then? I'm just curious to see if it was what people expected more or less...

They did a good job on the stats. The one thing I missed though would be that in turn two, in your shooting phase you point to one of the oppoments mini and call it an Alpha Legion insurgent, and takes controll over that mini. Now that's table top gaming with flufflaugh.png

Haha guess I would miss that, although that, on a 4+ its actually mine that deepstrikes/outflanks seems to satisfy my fluffy side rolleyes.gif

Whew maybe I have gone off the rails..... 

Sviar

Sviar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 777 posts

Does anyone know what MK armour the Alpha Legion used during the drop site massacre? In Deliverance Lost they said that the traitors had better armour as the lojalist bolt rounds proved to be ineffective against traitor armour, that's why the Raven Guard improved their ammo.

Slips

Slips

++ ARCHIMAGIRUS RUDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,893 posts
  • Faction: V,VII,IX,XII,XV Legions

Anything from MK III to MK VI (they get Corvus like the Raven Guard..because..Alpha Legion...) would all be ok, really.

• ezeefisch likes this

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

++Part of the ship...Part of the Crew++

+] Use the Report Button! [+

ezeefisch

ezeefisch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts

Does anyone know what MK armour the Alpha Legion used during the drop site massacre? In Deliverance Lost they said that the traitors had better armour as the lojalist bolt rounds proved to be ineffective against traitor armour, that's why the Raven Guard improved their ammo.

Anything from MK III to MK VI (they get Corvus like the Raven Guard..because..Alpha Legion...) would all be ok, really.

If memory serves I think the fluff said something along the lines of, examination of armour worn by the slain Alpha Legion revealed they had what was described as "Corvus-Alpha pattern" armour, it was found to differ from the standard Corvus pattern. This is believed to have been due to the Legion gaining access to early schematics of the pattern while it was still in development.

So like Slipstreams said you should be good with MKs III, IV maybe some V, and VI. But personally Id do something a bit different with our MKVI just to represent this variation, maybe MK IV or V pouldrons or even backpacks. Just a thought.

Edited by ezeefisch, 18 October 2014 - 12:46 AM.

"I am Alpharius, we are Alpharius. We are Alpha Legion and we are all one."

shhhh  I Am hiding  By commissarmuskeg d6bawik

incinerator950

incinerator950

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,240 posts
  • Faction: Putrefactors
I'm thinking of making an Alpha Legion ripoff of the Gal vorbak using CS rules for Possessed and my prophet Lord. Any ideas?
<p>"Yes but the rocket launcher lawnchairs only have 1 beer holder, where as the reg lawnchairs have beer holders on both sides so it's a hard choice."~chillin

Slips

Slips

++ ARCHIMAGIRUS RUDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,893 posts

You could possibly use some Fantasy Lizard men and slap some power armor bits on them and call it a day? Or go one step further and make them Hydras?

Unsure about the Prophet Lord. Don't think it would fit too well with the Alpha Legions Modus Operandi.

incinerator950

incinerator950

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,240 posts
Yeah, everything I think of comes out at a curveball.
<p>"Yes but the rocket launcher lawnchairs only have 1 beer holder, where as the reg lawnchairs have beer holders on both sides so it's a hard choice."~chillin

Slips

Slips

++ ARCHIMAGIRUS RUDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,893 posts
Hey, its chaos. If any faction does curveballs good its them.

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,313 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons

Chaos corrupts, even Alpha Legionnaries are affected.

Besides, the AL MO doesn't usually have an effect on the gameplay besides scouting/infiltrating/outflanking. Any sabotages and such are done pre-game I assume and might be why you and your opponent are playing with equal points in the first place. :)

"Deception IS the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends - The corruption of cell #379
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum
+++ DIU AD BELLI - Legion War! +++ (2017 ETL replacement)

gallery_48988_10980_12646.pnggallery_29004_9303_652.pngEcJeVZz.pnggallery_48988_13169_1292.pnggallery_48988_10069_14888.pnggallery_61265_13249_83587.png

Dragonlover

Dragonlover

++ PATRIS ANGUIGENA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,017 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion
Yeah, that's why I don't run any Cultists. I figure that by the time three Rhinos full of Marines are needed, squishy humans are irrelevant.

Dragonlover

oreaper84

oreaper84

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 257 posts

Ah!!! where have i been, there is a true legion topic now. Oh yeah thats right i was deceptivly watching it develope from the shadows, here all along. The Cabal of the Severed Heads is and has always been true to its legion roots. They have found corruption of loyalists paramount to thier goals (or so it seems) as bringing more advantageous genes to the pool to be replicated is the name of the game.

One of the things that initailly drew me to the Alpha Legion was the practicality in which they betray thier brothers.

"Brother, you have forsaken your oaths, turned your back on our father, and spat in the face of his ideal's. Why?!?"

"because i had to win......duhhuh.png "

The greatest joy in life is to crush little toy soldiers, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their power gamers.

gallery_29004_9303_652.png Call_of_Chaos_Banner_03_Completion.jpggallery_29004_6198_60098.pngCall_of_Chaos_Badge_03.jpg

Sviar

Sviar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 777 posts

Thanks for the answears, I'll probaly mix MK IV and VI.

incinerator950

incinerator950

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,240 posts

Chaos corrupts, even Alpha Legionnaries are affected.

Besides, the AL MO doesn't usually have an effect on the gameplay besides scouting/infiltrating/outflanking. Any sabotages and such are done pre-game I assume and might be why you and your opponent are playing with equal points in the first place. :)

Or why I haven't detonated a few nukes over the capital city?

Anyway... yeah, still braindead.

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,313 posts

Well, sometimes you want to capture the objective... ;)

bah, possessed...make them failed dark mechanicum experiments...

Edited by Excessus, 19 October 2014 - 10:53 PM.

"Deception IS the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends - The corruption of cell #379

gallery_48988_10980_12646.pnggallery_29004_9303_652.pngEcJeVZz.pnggallery_48988_13169_1292.pnggallery_48988_10069_14888.pnggallery_61265_13249_83587.png

Tenebris

Tenebris

++ SERVATOR FERINUS ++

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,548 posts
  • Faction: XVth

I am elaborating on a way to make the Alpha Legion part of my warband (cca 30 astartes) a working unit, integrated well in the fluff of the Arrogant Sons. It all begun with the battle of Arcadia Quintus and seen the devastation wrought by the Imperium the AL operatives, or at least this Splinter, had little choice in the matter, join the Black Legion... or die (although the choice was presented in a more diplomatic way). 

I see the Alpha Legion very much as a Legion of Change, namely a perfect fit for the Thousand Sons in their service to the Changer of Ways. This splinter has a role in my warband, the Harrowmaster is one of the chief strategos among the Arrogant Sons, while his remaining warriors are spread across the Arrogant Sons units (in proper AL way) in order to spy on everything and everyone, working form the shadow with duplicitous intent.

My take would be for this splinter to try to integrate with the structures of the Arrogant Sons and provide the intelligence about the dealings of the many brothers of the warband. Since the Arrogant Sons are a very much bastardized warband, kept in check only due to the "reassuring" presence of several phalanxes of Rubicae, I see the Alpha Legion operatives integral in knowing the inner workings of any unit and I see them even as supporters of the overall leadership of the warband.

In the context of the Alpha Legion itself, the question is, are they still loyal to their own Legion, can they really be still considered a Splinter or they have finally been immersed in their persona of Arrogant Sons that they do not any longer feel any kinship with their real brothers...questions, questions... apples....apples... ahem what? 

But really I find quite challenging trying to include the Alpha Legion in any context, a Black Legion warband in this case since we speak of so many conflicting agendas, split personalities and different approaches to warfare that I find it really hard to make them "work"...

Any advice on the matter?

There is only the Truth. I do not know what it is, but I do believe in it!

Attributed to Dark Apostle Toren Mar, Chapter of the Broken Seal, 71st Host, Word Bearers Legion.

Spaz431

Spaz431

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 338 posts
  • Faction: Joy in Darkness & Clan Avernii
The links of the unbroken chain are winding closely together.

How are many of
You illustrating the
Different marks of various
Ruinous powers on the
Armor of your marines? I

Decided to utilize the shields
Of saurus warriors, to reflect the
Mark of Tzeentch. Basically
I used it like a combat shield from the
Now forgotten codex space marines of 4th edition. To keep them
All looking identical, within some diffences, all of
The heads used were bald, from both marine and chaos lines.
Unknowingly, I used some the "bane" face mask heads.
So as I primed them, I had a good giggle.

Ok back to some normallacy, I also found some spare dark elf corsair cloaks, (scaly skin cloaks) that I've begun attaching to character models. After I built that unit I wanted a unit with mark of Slaneesh, I looked through all my bits boxes to find something to illustrate their higher initiative over their enemies. I found a bunch of loyalist marine helms that had the headlights on. Basically, I see it as that unit is rushing into combat, they turn on their spotlights to blind their foes, distracting them just long enough to get the early advantage. Both units have been built so far, with spare CCW. I have an idea for bodies marked by Nurgle, I'm going to find some spare armor bits from my fantasy kits to attach to them, to look like they have heavier than normal marine armor, but not TDA. But thus far those are my ideas, I'm horrible at posting pictures on these sites sorry.

I'm also thinking of building some rapier batteries. I just need ia13 first.

Edited by Spaz431, 24 November 2014 - 02:58 PM.

Sic Transit Gloria

Terran_zps971683eb.png

Hydra Dominatus

Sviar

Sviar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 777 posts

To all legionaries and covert agents who missed todays encrypted memo, it contained this message:

"Black Library just released a book with your favorite legion"

I just ordered the Seventh Serpentcool.png  Looking forward to read it.

Encrypted message:

1 12 16 8 1 18 9 21 19

18 15 3 11 19

Sviar

Sviar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 777 posts

Got my copy last week, it was number 3098. Just waiting for a perfect time to sit down and read itsmile.png

Deet

Deet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 78 posts

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but this seems like the one good place to talk Alphas. I've been thinking of starting an Alpha Legion army as my first foray to the dark side. I like Alpha because it gives me a nice fluffy reason to not go all 80s metal band with the spikes and horns with my chaos force.  Plus the rest of the fluff is pretty awesome and I'm looking forward to sculpting hydra scales on my shoulder pads. And that Contemptor...good lord. 

My question- what's the best way to start a force?  I've been looking at the Crimson Slaughter box or a CSM Attack Force box (yes I think I can still get one) as nice cheap ways to get figs at a discount, but both of those boxes have things that don't fit my vision perfectly.  I know GW is cool with Alpha Helldrakes and Hellbrutes, but it feels a little off to me.  I'd go all pre-heresy if I could afford it, but that ain't happening. What do you guys field in your Alpha Legion, and what from the CSM catalog feels out of place to you?

My blog Thehammerofwrath.blogspot.com

My WIP Threads: Grey Knights, Alpha Legion

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,313 posts

Firstly, hi and welcome! And it's not thread necromancy. Necromancy would imply we were dead...but we are just waiting, below the surface. Lurking in the shadows for the opportune moment to strike...always... biggrin.png

Secondly, if you are loving the not-so-much-mutated look, why not base it on loyalist models? Having a splinter force of Alpha Legion posing as loyalist to mess with everybody has been done multiple times before in the fluff. Power armour is power armour, and the obliterators can be made from centurions. Dont lament the modelwise loss of the heldrake too much, it lost a lot of power going into 7th due to its recently damaged neck. Spawns are tricky, but I bet there are suitable conversions all around the place.

Personally I started out as a low-mutations Alpha legion force, but have since moved that aestethic over to the heresy and start to do my Alpha Legion a little more mutated and corrupted 40k-wise. I like the chosen and raptor look, but the old CSM box is reeeeaaallly old and ugly. I don't like the heldrake or the fiends, but the parts can be useful for various projects...

Edited by Excessus, 16 January 2015 - 06:17 AM.

Deet

Deet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 78 posts
Hmm. That's an interesting thought. I haven't tried much unit swapping but I guess most of my games are friendly so I could get away with it. I could also "ally" some alphas with another CSM faction for those helldrake type units if needed. I think I'm one of the few who actually likes the centurion model.

You ever run in to anyone in a shop who gets cranky with your using basic marines as chaos? Weapon load outs are different too, right?

My blog Thehammerofwrath.blogspot.com

My WIP Threads: Grey Knights, Alpha Legion

Vesper

Vesper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,549 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion

Or successful dark mechanicum experiments.

vesper.png Lord Silas, Knight of Thorns, Lord of the Lions of the Despoiler.

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,313 posts

Hmm. That's an interesting thought. I haven't tried much unit swapping but I guess most of my games are friendly so I could get away with it. I could also "ally" some alphas with another CSM faction for those helldrake type units if needed. I think I'm one of the few who actually likes the centurion model.

You ever run in to anyone in a shop who gets cranky with your using basic marines as chaos? Weapon load outs are different too, right?

Bolters are bolters, power armour is power armour, meltaguns are meltaguns...

I doubt anyone could complain if you run loyalist models painted as Alpha Legion with the CSM codex. They should know what sneaky gits the men in blue are, hehe

Or successful dark mechanicum experiments.

Hahaha, true that! :D

ZONKEY

ZONKEY

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 583 posts
You could use the white scar chapter tactics for outflanking?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alpha Legion, XX Legion, Legio XX, Chaos Space Marines, Heretic Astartes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users