++ The Harrowing - An Alpha Legion Community ++

Sviar

If I have the points then *MAYBE* I would take extra bolter havocs as meatbags to eat wounds to keep the good guns alive. I rarely get that luxury though.

I usually just run butcher cannons on my contempter. Good range(36") and strength 8, the -ap is alright, and the d2 is nice. Plus they are 4 shots. And if I have to move and shoot I am rolling 3's to hit due to their bas bs being 2+. I honestly haven't been too experimental with them. So far they bunker down and just rip into most things.

If the Contemptor is for Alpha Legion, Butcher cannons are your friend. All the previous stats mentioned, plus a fun leadership penalty if you kill a model. Shame Contemptors can't use fire frenzy... But, a dual chainclaw World Eater Contemptor is nothing to shake a stick at either.

Extra bodies in havoc squads are good, but the points are better spent elsewhere. Havocs tend to live long enough on their own. If your opponent wants them dead, a couple extra bodies won't matter much.

Ok I've got some good advice to consider. Thanks!

At the moment, I'm considering two five man havoc squads armed with autocannons and lascannons and a contemptor with butcher cannons in the backfield, with a havoc squad kitted out with plasma as forward operatives. For now, I'll plan on leaving out the extra bolter marines.

I'll break out the codex when I get home this afternoon and see what I can squeeze into the list in terms of points.

I'm excited about this! I've never done another chaos army outside of World Eaters so this will definitely be a fun experiment.

The brainwashing worked!!!

I mean, have fun using these the Alpha Legion!:wink:

Definitely build some lists and proxy them if you can in game to get a feel for it all. And remember to give your havocs mark of Slaanesh. You can do those kinds of things in a non-monogod army. Give them that mark, use the Slaaneshi stratagem to shoot twice, and enjoy the extra amount of fire power you can squeeze out. If you want to play them non aligned that's fine too but why not make use of resources available to you?

A while back I took 2 10 man havoc squads with 4 plas/combi plas each and infiltrated them up into cover with a lord. That worked pretty well.

Yesterday I took 2 squads of long ranged Havocs and sat them back in ruins. That also worked well.

Basically, Alpha Legion Havocs are great.

• 3 weeks later...

Would y'all ever want to read an Alpha Legion novel set in 8th Edition 40k where the Harrow were legitimate, full blown Chaos Space Marines?

There's "Hunt for Voldorius", but that's from 5th. The writing was kinda weak, so I can't really recommend it.

Some photos of my current Alpha Legion. DP is pretty much done, but I might change his cloak to be a galaxy-style cloak. The Chosen aren't done, but getting there. I still need to blend up the power weapons, finish the plasma coils, bases and eyes, and add another five. The Chaos Lord is held together with blu-tac and armed with a counts as Murder Sword. Fluff-wise, the Chaos Lord and Chosen are the Captain and the command squad from the Assault Company, while the DP is a mutated lieutenant or Captain from a line company.

GSUbHYF.jpg

Kv8SdDX.jpg

mMVGkUT.jpg

CfndRAU.jpg

7waimmt.jpg

QaX8JTL.jpg

Hello brothers!

Im new to the Alpha Legion figure wise. I want to paint a kill team and my plan is to not make them too "chaosy". I saw over at Miniwargaming the newly released Turbo Dork colors and thought they make a nice fit. They make acrylic metal colors and the ones Im thinking of getting is this one:

https://turbodork.com/collections/metallic-paints/products/see-food-metallic-acrylic-paint

Or maybe this one:

https://turbodork.com/products/blue-steel-metallic-acrylic-paint

I think the "see food" (yes thats how its spelled) would make a good base with maybe a blue(ish) was over it.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the Legion. As an additional suggestion to fit your plans, Vallejo has some metallics very similar to those colors, as well as plain metallic medium. I've used the their blue a few times (nearly identical in shade to that link) and I've been a fan.

For the base colors, maybe try out mixtures of the green and blue, with different ratios. Never hurts to see what shades you can get.

Lastly, there's a new tutorial on YouTube about painting us Legion style. The end of it has the painter using a green glaze on the armor to get a tinting effect. That might fit with your plans, with either green or blue glaze.

And of you've got an airbrush, well... That opens the door to so many new things!

With an airbrush I've used Vallejo aluminum as a base coat, and then used Autoair Candy 2.0 dark blue lightly over the lower half, and green Tamiya thinned with alcohol over the top half. I've been pretty happy with it.

I've started on a spearhead detachment to serve as fire support from my World Eaters. I don't have much of it together yet because I'm on a pretty tight budget, but here is what I have so far. 

Also, sorry about the white borders on all of the photos. I had to resize the images in order to upload them, and I can't crop them out on this old work computer.

AL dread 1

AL dread 2

AL dread 3

AL dread 4

Of course, I splurged and got the coolest model first. It probably wasn't the practical thing to do, but I love it :biggrin.:

I've got a lord waiting to be painted and a few heavy bolter havocs to assemble. When I am able, I'm obtaining some autocannons and lascannons.

I'm starting to look at chaos again after moving on to guard, dark elder, and blood angels. I've got a bunch of parts coming to convert some modern looking berzerkers and I'm wondering if I should use them with my Alpha Legion or paint them up as World Eaters instead and run them in their own detachment (maybe with Kharne). Thoughts?

I'm starting to look at chaos again after moving on to guard, dark elder, and blood angels. I've got a bunch of parts coming to convert some modern looking berzerkers and I'm wondering if I should use them with my Alpha Legion or paint them up as World Eaters instead and run them in their own detachment (maybe with Kharne). Thoughts?

What makes you unsure which legion to take? Fluff, aesthetic on the board or crunch?

If it's about which version is the strongest, then I'd agree with what Chaz wrote in the other thread I think:

AL cultists horde may not charge Turn1 after the FAQ; however, at Turn1 they could still enter the rapid-fire range, and deliver Cacophony+Votlw.

And AL players still have warptime as the backup plan. AL cultists get nerfed, of course, but they are still playable.

AL Zerkers(on foot)/RG Aggressors/Sty8 Priests have different situation: they get nerfed, and became unplayable.

We can still T1 charge, it's just a 9" charge. 9"+6"= 15" (Granted the opponent was dumb enough to deploy on the line).

Warptime was always our strongest Psychic Power by a country mile; using it on Cultists for an extra 6" is an absolute waste in most case.

While AL Berzerkers got nerfed hard, they are now best as World Eaters, without a shred of doubt. They can still be given the Khorne Icon for re-rolling charges, but a Rhino with a +1 save first turn to get them there seems a safer bet.

Also it's important to keep in mind that a World Eater Codex is to be extected eventually so they'd come with a bunch of other benefits we don't know about yet as well.

Yeah, with a World Eater's codex I'd almost certainly run them in their own detachment. I meant from a crunch perspective. I haven't played a game in a while since my local store closed, but we almost always played competitively even when we were not playing competitively. Multiple detachments, lots of special characters, etc.

Archived