++ The Harrowing - An Alpha Legion Community ++

Sviar

I like the 2+ AS relic, as chaos doesnt really have much in the way of 2+ outside of termie armour, but compared the night lords one, ours is kinda lame

Im warming up to the mindveil and cant wait to move around a obsec termi blob with it

Hydrablade i think ill only use on a daemon prince, ive done some test rolls and on a lord and he just doesnt have the damage output to make the ap5 not a big deal

So i played a ITC game last night using a alpha legion CAD vs a min maxed white scar double demi

I didnt win, but i was always going to be up against it with two drop cent units, still that being said, with mass infiltrate i did push his scout units back which helped massivily. Chosen as troops (i was running 3 min squads and 2 min csm squads) is amazing, having two special weapons out the top of a rhino is really really good. I realise most know this, but coupled with infiltrate is a very strong combo

Many heads of the hydra is a fun and frustrating rule (fun for me, frustrating for my opponent), its a really strong rule, keeping that slay the warlord point away is very strong

Am I missing something? The Hydras Teeth, gives a bolter blast, ignore cover and poisoned 2+! For 15 points! Remember it gains those rules. So it is still an assault weapon with rapid fire within 12". That's an autoinclude for me. The mindveil can also be used on a unit locked in combat and the enemy can't consolidate. It is a bit pricey but there are a lot of tactical options with it.

I am not sure I envisaged AL as a cultist spam army, but they are definitely encouraging you to do it with the decurion, but we don't play those in our group so it isn't an issue.

The mindveil can also be used on a unit locked in combat and the enemy can't consolidate. It is a bit pricey but there are a lot of tactical options with it.

There is an insane amount of tactical options with it. Outfit your terminator squad with a plethora of ranged and melee options and jump around. 3d6 averages out at 11" so it's almost like having a jump infantry squad...but with 2+ save and power weapons, combi weps and 5+ invul. Shoot and charge something, next turn disengage and shoot/charge something else. You can even have sorcerers with witchfire in there because they'll be free to shoot every turn...also the unit gets charge bonus every turn. So MoK could also be an option. 

Unfortunately, MoK isn't an option since Alpha Legion detachments can never include a unit with a Mark, either native or purchased as an upgrade. But yeah, you can totally smoke-bomb your way out of CC and then pump a bunch of flamer shots into the other unit before charging in again, assuming there were no other units of your still engaged.

I mean heck, if you're not too concerned about fluff and can find a way to charge some World Eaters every turn, go for it! I don't think there's any rules about putting a character from one legion's detachment in a unit from another legion's detachment?

I have a question about the Mindveil though; how does one place the moved unit? The fluff written implies it's a straight up teleport, but afaik the RAW don't say you can ignore obstacles or anything? The way I read it, you essentially just walk your guys 3D6 inches, out of combat if needed, but that doesn't really line up with the fluff concept of swapping places with an illusory double of the user and his unit.

Yeah, unfortunately! It doesn't make a lot of sense with how the fluff is written, and it limits the ability to blindside opponents a bit, but unless/until an errata comes out it's probably best to play it that way.

But you know, it's GW, so they might just straight up have forgotten to write in the moving over terrain lines.

The more I think about it. I may use alpha legion rules for my Fallen CSM detachment. The infiltrating chosen is real similar to the cypher dataslate. My plan is to run 4 squads of chosen with combo weapons in rhinos backed up by predators and indicator. I just don't think I can take cypher since he is unique.

Mindveil Chaos Lord with a unit of Terminators, hop around the board.

Also, remember that infiltrate also automatically confers outflank, so stick your Apostle in a an outflanking unit (there's no restrictions for that.)

Or fish for the Infiltrate warlord trait with a 1/3 chance.

Mindveil Chaos Lord with a unit of Terminators, hop around the board.

Also, remember that infiltrate also automatically confers outflank, so stick your Apostle in a an outflanking unit (there's no restrictions for that.)

Or fish for the Infiltrate warlord trait with a 1/3 chance.

Actually there is a restriction for that: "Q: Infiltrate rules state that an Independent Character without Infiltrate cannot join a squad of Infiltrators. Does this mean a squad that is actively Infiltrating or just any unit that has the Infiltrate rule? This matters for things like Outflank (granted freely by the Infiltrate rule) and Infiltrate units that have Deep Strike.

A: An Independent Character without the Infiltrate special rule cannot join a unit of Infiltrators during deployment, whether they are Infiltrating, Deep Striking or Outflanking. They are free to join units as they wish after deployment."

Whether your unit is an Infiltrator or not depends on whether it has the special rule or not. Even if it doesn't use it's special rule it still is an Infiltrator.

So I had a quick question when reading through the rules for outflank it says that it applies to units in reserve not ongoing reserve. This leads me to believe that no cultist repawns can outflank when they come back. We play here that we roll 2 dice and get a unit for each. Both unquestionably "have" outflank, but after rereading the outflank USR....they can't use it in ongoing reserve. Do you all think that this was intentional, or yet another example of GW not articulating their rules correctly.

Archived