Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

++ The Harrowing - An Alpha Legion Community ++

Alpha Legion XX Legion Legio XX Chaos Space Marines Heretic Astartes

• Please log in to reply
1324 replies to this topic

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,395 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons

Alpha Legion "tacticus" with his two operatives, relaying commands from HQ...

gallery_61265_13297_8842.jpg

• Nemisor, Darnok, Juggernut and 6 others like this
"Deception IS the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends - The corruption of cell #379
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum
+++ DIU AD BELLI - Legion War! +++ (2017 ETL replacement)

gallery_48988_10980_12646.pnggallery_29004_9303_652.pngEcJeVZz.pnggallery_48988_13169_1292.pnggallery_48988_10069_14888.pnggallery_61265_13249_83587.png

Tylydox

Tylydox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 787 posts

IKEA table?

Sign my petition about Collaboration between Games Workshop and Hasbro to create My Little Pony in WH40K Universe

: https://www.ipetitio...p-and-hasbro-to

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,395 posts

Yeah, it's an anti-grav Brökken tactical table, the operatives were just there to help assemble it... :)

"Deception IS the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends - The corruption of cell #379

gallery_48988_10980_12646.pnggallery_29004_9303_652.pngEcJeVZz.pnggallery_48988_13169_1292.pnggallery_48988_10069_14888.pnggallery_61265_13249_83587.png

ChazSexington

ChazSexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 921 posts

So, do we maybe want to make an Alpha Legion event with ETL? Something like "More Loyal than the Dark Angels" or "For the Emperor."

How many of us are vowing? 

Call_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01a.gifETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifgallery_48988_15465_48576.pnggallery_29004_15471_42509.png

Ceterum autem censeo Macragginem delendam esse.

Dredgen Yor

Dredgen Yor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors/Night Lords

Personally, a lot of my vow which I just vowed is gonna be between Iron Warriors and Night Lords. However I do have a plan for a bit of some Alpha Legion infiltration so I'd be up for it.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.png

Click here to see my WIP log.

New Blog coming soon.

Formerly Dizzyeye

Harrowmaster

Harrowmaster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 769 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion, Imperial Guard

Anyone here ever done some AL operatives for 40k/30k? How did you convert them and what provenances do you use for 30k? Thinking of doing some to go alongside my AL but not sure where to start, any tips greatly appreciated. 

My (very slow) Horus Heresy blog (now with militia and IH): 

http://www.bolterand...eresy-projects/

My (hopefully not any slower than the above) Imperial Guard blog:

http://www.bolterand...3rd-army-group/

slitth

slitth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 405 posts
  • Faction: The Silver Scaled

Question?

How you would field Alpharius in 40K?

Not the actual Primarch, but the warrior claiming to be Alpharius.

Would to nice to have a special character from GW?

hydra_sidnature_by_slitth-dbor4yp.jpg

ChazSexington

ChazSexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 921 posts

Question?

How you would field Alpharius in 40K?

Not the actual Primarch, but the warrior claiming to be Alpharius.

Would to nice to have a special character from GW?

With the I Am Alpharius Warlord Trait. 

I apologise for the trite answer, but it's honestly pretty solid. 

• Iron Father Ferrum likes this

Call_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01a.gifETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifgallery_48988_15465_48576.pnggallery_29004_15471_42509.png

Iron Father Ferrum

Iron Father Ferrum

++ INTERFECTOR PRODITORES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,347 posts
  • Faction: Iron Hands
Now, if you decide you want the actual Primarch, a Daemon Prince is the most appropriate datasheet. The FW 30K model works as paired talons, while I've seen people run Guilliman's model as sword, talons, and warp bolter.
Posted Image

+Corruption of Purpose: Heretic Astartes+
+The Blade Unsheathed: Asuryani+

+AO+ Currently seeking a PhotoShopper to make me a Chaos banner for this signature. +OA+

Vorroth

Vorroth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion

How would you guys go about making an alpha legion competitive list? Cultists or CSM? Havocs or oblits? 

ChazSexington

ChazSexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 921 posts

How would you guys go about making an alpha legion competitive list? Cultists or CSM? Havocs or oblits? 

Cultists don't get Legion traits, so I'd steer clear of them.

I've been playing around with a Possessed bomb. With Dark Apostle, you can get another -1 to hit, so you're at -2. Use Forward Operatives to launch 20 of them 9" forward, move 6," Warptime them for another 6, then charge. 

It's too reminiscent of the old Deathstars for me in addition to being hyper swingy in some match ups, but there you go. 

3 Lords of the Disco is also something that could work. Contemptor Dreads aren't bad, and there might be some mileage in Havocs and Oblits. 

Iron Father Ferrum

Iron Father Ferrum

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,347 posts

Alternate take: they're cheap fodder to fill out a battalion and they make for a cheap screen to keep enemies away from your main gunline of Havocs and Helbrutes.

Edited by Iron Father Ferrum, 28 August 2019 - 10:27 AM.

Posted Image

+AO+ Currently seeking a PhotoShopper to make me a Chaos banner for this signature. +OA+

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 469 posts
  • Faction: Chaos

So, I know what you're all thinking, and I can confirm it to be true: yes, the new Splintered Fang Warcy warband can make for nice Alpha Legion bits. I had a sword left over and, yeah, it fits in quite nicely. Did a quick swap of the power sword originally being held. 

pDQWJwOl.jpg

It would take a bit of work and chopping on some of the bits, but there's so many blades, daggers,  poison vials, and snake motifs that it's great for anyone looking to add a bit of flair. Some careful trimming could get you some awesome headdresses for helms, too. 

• Iron Father Ferrum, Excessus, ChazSexington and 6 others like this

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Iron Father Ferrum

Iron Father Ferrum

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,347 posts
So! Let's engage in a little threadomancy and some wild wishlisting!

PA2 is supposedly going to focus on Templars vs Chaos, with several Legion icons shown in the teaser - notably ours! Current rumor suggests we'll be receiving new relics, stratagems, and Warlord Traits. If you were designing them, what would you come up with that's fluffy and utilitarian?

The first that comes to mind for me would be our own version if Agents of Vect, because nothing says "spies & saboteurs" like telling your opponent he can't use a stratagem. A trait or relic for CP farming isn't out of place either, though I'd prefer if it let us steal CPs (bit that's probably too powerful). Other relic ideas I've had would be Venom Spheres (no overwatch against the bearer), replace a power sword with the Pale Spear (S+2 AP-4 Dd3), or some sort of relic bolter that functions similarly to a sniper rifle.

And for Alpharius' sake, give me back the ability to actually infiltrate something, even if it just Cultists or Chosen or whatever. I can make it work.
Posted Image

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,185 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

I would be against stealing the opponent's CP for use yourself, but burning your own CP to take theirs away out of spite seems good, equivalent exchange. Maybe have it once a game strat  if AL get CP regen mechanics. 

gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

ChazSexington

ChazSexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 921 posts

I would love the ability to make a custom Alpha Legion "Successor" Warband, à la what SMs and Eldar got. 

As far as wishlisting, I think a CP regeneration trait, a Vect-like Stratagem, a Banestrike (upgrade a bolter profile's AP by 1 or something) Stratagem, and maybe a Venom Spheres Stratagem would be cool. 

As mentioned, a Relic Bolter/Sniper would be cool too. 

Oh, and as RG got Infiltrate again, I'd love to see us get Forward Operatives again.

Edited by ChazSexington, 24 October 2019 - 11:03 AM.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 469 posts
  • Faction: Chaos
Successors would be lovely, but all signs currently point to 'no' on those for now. But I agree - the -1 to hit has never felt quite right, so some options would be nice.

The return of forward operatives would be grand. That on its own would be a wonderful shot in the arm for our army. I love the idea of strategems for the Heresy Era tech. It would be a nice way to bring back some flavor.

I would love a strat that messes with enemy reserves. We play it, and the enemy has to roll for units like the old days, or they have to stay outside 12", or get nutty with it and we get to place the unit for them. Like the mishap table, but not as rough.

Or something in the lines of adaptive tactics. Play it on a unit and it gets rerolls against a certain dataslate, or the -1 to hit gets swapped for something.

A sniper strat. How I would love to have an AL sniper option. I mean, CSM getting to have ANY ability to snipe (outside of R&H) would be awesome, but if it has to be tied to one legion it should be ours.

Maybe something to make cultists useful again? No idea how to do that, but it'd be nice to bring them along and have them not feel like dead weight. But, really, I'd just rather have traitor guard anyway...

For warlord traits, some kind of cp regen will probably happen. But honestly, I don't know if I'd ever not pick I Am Alpharius. That trait is the absolute best. It blends fluff with an actual useful mechanic. Yeah, I'm sure other traits are better, but they're not as fun!

And if all they do is give us the relics from Traitor Legions I'll be super happy. I know we all miss the Mindveil.

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Tylydox

Tylydox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 787 posts

How many flavors of AL are out there?  What is the current Alpha Legion army list?

1. 3.5 dex with Cultists as Troops;

2. "Black Legion" in Alpha Legion colours for competitive play;

3. ...anything in between?

Sign my petition about Collaboration between Games Workshop and Hasbro to create My Little Pony in WH40K Universe

Iron Father Ferrum

Iron Father Ferrum

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,347 posts
It sounds like you're asking specifically about competitive play? Because Chaos as a whole is having issues competing against Eldar Flying Circus and the new Marine codex. Frankly, I'd just play PUGs with friends and play what I wanted with no care about what's good or what works best.

...or play as Raven Guard or Ultras. Because that's a thing too according to the FB group. Blech
Posted Image

Tylydox

Tylydox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 787 posts

I am just asking in general - what kind of AL armies are out there?  To wish for something you need to see where you are right now and do a gap study where you want to be.

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,395 posts

I have ditched my cultists, I go with min-sized marine squads nowadays. 

I have bought the knight codex and a knight and feel the urge to try out a twin avenger knight with the warp sight helm against those fliers. 

ChazSexington

ChazSexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 921 posts
Some photos from me getting my face smashed in by the new Salamanders! The doctrines and all the Stratagems are just too much, and I lost 30-17 in the end. 

My greatest mistake was opting for rapid fire range with my Chosen to kill the last Hammernators, which put them in the sights of 8 Intercessors. He immediately boosted them to Rapid Fire 2, used another Stratagem to have them count as not having moved, then fired at me with 32 S4 AP-2. 

My Warp Talons were once against utterly useless. I was forced to drop down my Sorcerer with Death Hex to try to clear the Hammernators, but I failed casting it and died. This lead to my Warp Talons now having to make 9" charges and rolling snake eyes. 

I don't see how we can beat them - I managed to beat Imperial Fists prior to their supplement, but I don't think that'll happen again. 

T1
T1
T1
T1
T2
T3

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,395 posts
But you looked good while doing it, that counts for something. :D
  • ChazSexington and Tylydox like this

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,395 posts

So, Astral_Jackal posted the rules for the AL from PA2. We'll probably have to wait for the specific wordings and the descriptions...but here's the gist of it.

Alpha Legion Rules:

Warlord Traits:

1. From Codex

2. -1 to hit rolls against this Warlord.

3. Warlord can target characters. Unmodified Hit rolls of 6 inflict 1 mortal wound in addition to normal damage

4. at the start of the first battle round, before the turn begins. select up to 3 other AL units on the battlefield. redeploy them in your deployment zone

5. Profile on Community Page

6. once per battle, at the end of your Movement phase, you can remove your warlord and redeploy him within 3" of an AL unit and 9" from enemy units.

Stratagems:

1CP: Forward Operatives

- From Codex

2CP: Conceal

- use at start of opponents shooting phase. Select one AL infantry unit. cannot be targeted unless it's the closest visible unit.

1CP: Sabotaged Armoury

- profile on Community website

1CP: Scrambled Coordinates

- use in enemy movement phase, enemy units deploying as reinforcements have to be more than 12" away instead of 9"

1CP: Renascent Infiltration

- Use at the end of the Movement phase. Select one AL Infantry unit more than 3" from enemy models (cannot select units that arrived from reserve). remove that unit and set them up more than 9" from enemy models

2CP: Ambush

- use in opponents Movement phase, after your opponent has set up reinforcements, select one AL unit from your army within 18". they can shoot that unit as if it where your shooting phase.

1CP: Feigned Retreat

- Use in movement phase, select one AL unit, they can shoot after they fell back.

1CP: We are Alpharius

- Use before the battle, after nominating your Warlord, select another AL Character and generate a trait for them. can only use once per battle.

Relics:

Darkscale Plate: Infantry only. 2+ armour save, 5+ "feel no pain"

Mindveil: start of movement phase, while on the battlefield, roll 3D6. until the end of the phase, that models move characteristic is that result. this model can move over other models as if they weren't there (in the movement and charge phase). this model can charge after it fell back.

Hydra's Wail: once per battle, at the start of the turn. for the remainder of the turn, when your opponent uses a stratagem roll a D6, on a 4+ your opponent must spend an additional CP to use that stratagem or it has no effect and the CP spent are lost.

Viper's Wail: Combi-bolter only

R24", RF2, S5, ap -3, D 2

Hydra's Teeth: Bolt weapon only, Grants the following abilities:

auto hits, wounds on a 2+ unless its a vehicle or titanic in which case it wounds on a 6+, ignores cover.

Shadeblade: Power sword or Force Sword only

- S +1, ap -3, D d3, abilites: -1 to hit against the bearer

onto the Iron warriors!

http://www.bolterand...ng-2/?p=5427805

I kinda suddenly converted a sniper lord using the warlord trait.

gallery_61265_13297_5614.jpg

...but the strange thing is, since the Viper's Wail isn't a bolter you don't get bolter discipline/drill/whatever for it so you have half as many shots but more potent ones. The Hydra's Teeth autohits so can't roll 6:es for those extra MWs...so a regular combi-bolter it is then...cheap and cheerful. :)

• Marshal Loss and Tylydox like this

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,648 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Horus

Looks great. A proper 40k style Exodus

bl-logo.jpg

The Unblinking Eye
A (perpetually inactive) blog about 30k & the Sons of Horus 29th Company
ἐλεφαντάρχης

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alpha Legion, XX Legion, Legio XX, Chaos Space Marines, Heretic Astartes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users