++ The Harrowing - An Alpha Legion Community ++

Sviar

I think it's yet another rule that GW didn't think through properly.

Personally, I believe that the LatD formation bonus is meant to give them outflank even in ongoing reserves. The AL formation however is a toss-up and I could play either.

• 3 weeks later...

So to the topic of the Mindveil.....how are you other insidious fiends using this item. I personally have been running it with a 5 man terminator unit for a bit of a cheap-star. It sets up charges and firiing lanes nicely. Also Termi's that can survive against a mob of garbage troops...then ghetto hit and run out is fabulous.

All thsi is mere speculation in the case that the Alpha Legion actually does exist.....which it obviously doesnt.....

If your going to go deathstar with the mindveil, might as well go all in - 8 man unit, 4 fists, 4 initiative power weapons, combi-weapons for everyone. Make it a rolling ball of don't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

If your going to go deathstar with the mindveil, might as well go all in - 8 man unit, 4 fists, 4 initiative power weapons, combi-weapons for everyone. Make it a rolling ball of don't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Tried that, the only problem is LOS and hiding the unit from Termi eliminators on the way in. When i run a legion CAD with Death Guards then yeah i just YOLO up the middle. Straight Legion though does not have the resiliance of some of the other traitor options.

So to the topic of the Mindveil.....how are you other insidious fiends using this item. I personally have been running it with a 5 man terminator unit for a bit of a cheap-star. It sets up charges and firiing lanes nicely. Also Termi's that can survive against a mob of garbage troops...then ghetto hit and run out is fabulous.

All thsi is mere speculation in the case that the Alpha Legion actually does exist.....which it obviously doesnt.....

Out of curiosity, what's your delivery method?

Mindveil has a average move of 11", that should be enough I guess.

No idea on the flamer thing. I don't know the chaos codex enough yet. I am excitied my 30k legions are now almost model for model useful for 40k. I just finished building and 3 color painting a 3k force(washes count right?) using infiltrate and rhinos. Not going to take much to use them as chaos, especially since I was never big on the whole spikey thing anyway. Will need to pick up the IA book finally for my 3 FW vehicles in the list(Sicarian, scorpius, contemptor) and I should be set. Will lack a lot of utility stuff like apothecaries with augery scanners but oh well. Even my support squads will have use as chosen troops freeing up space for a terminator squad :) Let the infiltrating infantry horde in APCs commence!

Well you could also use them as havocs because havocs can take 4 special weapons or 4 heavy weapons.

Mindveil has a average move of 11", that should be enough I guess.

I was kinda more thinking along the lines of how he survives a turn of shooting/deals with armies that'll deploy a few inches behind their own max range.

Well I don't think it matters. Since they don't stack you can just use whatever rule. The one says they arrive via Outflank, the other would theoretically grant outflank thanks to infiltrating cultists.

Source? Sorry but a picture without any source doesn't mean :censored: since something like this is way too easy to photoshop. :biggrin.:

Nevermind, found out it's a Forgeworld thing. :tongue.:

Hate to tell you guys....but apparently GW hates Alpha Legion. :D

http://i.imgur.com/JAMTC2J.png

All factions FAQs are here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/01/20/faqs-for-every-codex-live-now/

Well, since I red this in DW FAQ:

Q: The Banebolts of Eryxia have a profile for the Stalker pattern boltgun even though no unit in the Codex can benefit from it. Is that intended?

A: This is included for completeness, in the event that a Character is added in future with access to both.

I am suspecting the GW is onto something. It seems that at least some books are here to last and seeing that they do make choices which seem nonsensical at first but make sense in the long run (e.g. no Celestine in IA) maybe this is the similar case?

Maybe they are planning to change the rules for the LatD formation so the cultists coming back thingy will become AL only?

• 3 weeks later...

I wish they'd have included a clarification as to whether or not the respawning cultists can actually outflank. Common sense tells me yes, but there will continue to be arguments for sure.

i would think they do. cultists in a Alpha legion force have infiltrate, infiltrate conveys outflank doesnt it?

Also on an unrelated note did anyone see the FAQ for traitor legions?

Page 82, Command Benefits, Cult Uprising

Replace the rule for Cult Uprising with the following:

Cult Uprising: When a unit of Chaos Cultists from this Detachment is completely destroyed, you may add 1 to the dice roll for the A Tide of Traitors special rule when determining whether or not a new unit is placed into Ongoing Reserves.’

I wish they'd have included a clarification as to whether or not the respawning cultists can actually outflank. Common sense tells me yes, but there will continue to be arguments for sure.

i would think they do. cultists in a Alpha legion force have infiltrate, infiltrate conveys outflank doesnt it?

Also on an unrelated note did anyone see the FAQ for traitor legions?

Page 82, Command Benefits, Cult Uprising

Replace the rule for Cult Uprising with the following:

Cult Uprising: When a unit of Chaos Cultists from this Detachment is completely destroyed, you may add 1 to the dice roll for the A Tide of Traitors special rule when determining whether or not a new unit is placed into Ongoing Reserves.’

Aye. It made it worse. For the sake of game design, I'm flabbergasted as to what thoughts went into this, if any.  While Phil "Medicine Cabinet" Kelly and Grant are maybe the only two dedicated 40k game designers, you'd imagine they have access to FW books.

Forgive me, I did some searching but couldn't find a thread devoted to my question.

*I threw a spoiler tag over my questions as I realized the questions were spoilery.*

What is the consensus reguarding Praetorian of Dorn? Is the real Alpharious dead? What did he say to Dorn as he died? Etc etc.

i still haven't really looked into a good way to use cultists. how is everyone else running them?

Bubble wrap for my Vindicator Tank Destroyers, backfield squatters, and "delay and stall" units. Think MSU for power armor, max cultists. Make them live long enough to get your nasties in place around the threat.

i still haven't really looked into a good way to use cultists. how is everyone else running them?

As Renegade Guardsmen in an Unending Host detachment. 

As Cultists... I used to run them as the Troop tax in an Allied formation for another Sorcerer, alternatively as 2x35-man squads in a Helcult. However, that's not really required anymore, with the alternative not usable in a Decurion. As a Troop/mandatory choice, I would park a minimum squad in Reserves (to avoid First Blood), then bring them on to camp a backfield objective and go to ground like cement. They're still 1/3rd cheaper than a squad of CSMs.

Their lack of cheap Fearless, terrible and expensive options, and high price (when compared to Guardsmen) prohibits them from being even a semi-decent choice. Their redeeming feature used to be they were the cheaper tax for an additional HQ choice. 

Forgive me, I did some searching but couldn't find a thread devoted to my question.

*I threw a spoiler tag over my questions as I realized the questions were spoilery.*

What is the consensus reguarding Praetorian of Dorn? Is the real Alpharious dead? What did he say to Dorn as he died? Etc etc.

Alpharius went the way of the dodo, confirmed by the author and Black Library at an event

Archived