Imperial Armour Discussion: Legacies of Glory

Jolemai

bl.php?text=Imperial%20Armour%20Discussion:%20Legacies%20of%20Glory&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

There are a number of options available for the Blood Angels to use from the various Imperial Armour books but to date, there is little discussion into there use and synergy with our forces. The aim of this article is to 1) share and impart our collective knowledge to our fellow captains and 2) to get some discussion going on the lesser-known potential boons to our forces. I want this thread to remain in flux and will happily edit the first post as people reply with their own ideas so we can get the optimal use out of each unit.

Further discussion guides can be found from post #6 onwards on the BA resource thread

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Availability

Legacies of Glory can be found in Appendix II (page 244) of Imperial Armour volume 2 second edition: War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes (IAv2SE), which is available from Forgeworld's website here. Alternatively, you can google a copy... ph34r.png

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg General Rules

The following apply to all Legacy of Glory entries:

• One vehicle per 1000 points is eligible for an upgrade
  • Said vehicle may take one or more Legacies
  • No duplicate Legacies allowed
  • Each has its own cost next to the relevant entry in IAv2SE

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Legacies of Glory

Below is a list of all the Legacies of Glory that are available to us. Obvious choices for these upgrades are listed in red.

Battle of Keylek

• Any vehicle or Super Heavy vehicle with Blast Weapons is eligible
  • All Blast Markers gain Ignore Cover
  • Vindicator, Caestus Assault Ram, Relic Whirlwind Scorpius, Land Speeder Typhoon, Fellblade

Ullanor Crusade

• Any Tank or Super Heavy vehicle gains Preferred Enemy: Orks
  • Any Dreadnought gains Hatred: Orks
  • Enemy models must re-roll successful To Hit rolls in Assault
  • Baal Predator, Predator Destructor, "Fragioso", Relic Sicaran

War of Murder

• Vehicle or Super Heavy Vehicle eligible
  • Model gains Monster Hunter
  • Friendly units within 6" are Fearless
  • Relic Sicaran, Stormraven Gunship, Predator Annihilator

Battle of Sarosh

• Once per game, declared before To Hit rolls are made, one of the vehicles weapons gains Skyfire, Interceptor, Night Vision and Tank Hunter
  • Relic Sicaran, "Rifleman" Dreadnought, Baal Predator, Vindicator Laser Destroyer

Isstvaan III

• Model gains Preferred Enemy: Chaos Space Marines
  • Automatically passes Dangerous Terrain tests for ruins and similar terrain
  • Relic Whirlwind Scorpius, Land Raider (any), Baal Predator "Fragioso", Razorback

Burning of Prospero

• Model gains Adamantium Will
  • Bonus increased to +2 against Witchfire type powers
  • "Fragioso", Death Company Dreadnought, Furioso Librarian Dreadnought, Land Raider (any)

Isstvaan V Dropsite Massacre

• Any vehicle with Deep Strike is eligible
  • Never scatters
  • Drop Pod (any), Land Speeder (any)

Battle of Calth

• Model gains Preferred Enemy: Chaos Space Marines
  • Enemy Warlord within 12" has -1 Leadership
  • Land Raider (any), "Fragioso", Baal Predator, Relic Whirlwind Scorpious

Battle of Signus Prime

• Model gains Preferred Enemy: Chaos Daemons
  • Friendly units within 6" have Furious Charge
  • "Fragioso", Land Raider (any)

Battle of Phall System

• Thunderhawks and Storm Eagles (including variants) are eligible
  • +1 Jink (Super Heavies Jink on a roll of 6+)
  • Thunderhawk, Thunderhawk Transporter, Fire Raptor

Thramas Crusade

• Friendly units within 12" are Fearless
  • Land Raider (any), Razorback (any), Drop Pod (any)

Schism of Mars

• Tank of Super Heavy Tank eligible
  • Gains Tank Hunter
  • Gains +1 BS against models with the Daemonforge rule
  • 4+ save against Haywire attacks
  • Fellblade, Typhon, Cerberus, Predator Annihilator, Vindicator Laser Destroyer

Battle of Terra

• Gains It Will Not Die
  • Fellblade, Typhon, Cerberus, Land Raider Spartan, Relic Sicaran

Icon of Glory

• +1 WS or BS (declared before the game begins)
  • If Warlord is within 2", the range of any Command Trait from the Warlord Table is increased by 6"
  • If this vehicle is destroyed, the enemy gain +1 VP (additional secondary objective)
  • Fellblade, Typhon, Cerberus, Predator Annihilator, Javelin Attack Speeder, Vindicator Laser Destroyer, Xiphon Interceptor

Shrouded Provenance

• Gains the venerable upgrade (opponent re-rolls on the vehicle damage table)
  • Vehicle is an Ally of Convenience to the main detachment and a Desperate Ally to an allied detachment
  • Relic Sicaran, Whirlwind (any), Damocles Command Rhino, Baal Predator

Ancient Mariner

• Tank with transport option eligible
  • The tank (or it's cargo) re-rolls the result of any archeotech artefacts or mysterious objective is discovers/triggers
  • Flamerback, Land Raider Redeemer

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Summary

In my opinion, many of these are situational any for Blood Angles, the majority can be worth it. The fluffy options for us are Battle of Signus Prime (although our 7th edition Codex has made this obsolete unless tailoring against Chaos Daemons) and the Battle of Terra (placed on a Fellblade or a Spartan makes me giddy). Other useful options are starting to be discussed elsewhere, with the Isstvaan V Dropsite Massacre option being useful for Drop Pods, Schism of Mars on our Sicarans or Annihilators, or Battle of Sarosh on Sicarans or even a Dreadnought for those pesky Flyers. I can also see Ancient Mariner being useful during Maelstrom missions.

As always, please give some thoughts below on how best to use these and thanks for reading.

Thanks for the post. biggrin.png

I *really* like the Isstvaan V Dropsite Massacre rule. It has me considering buying the Imperial Armour book just to be able to use these rules in my local games. I run a LRR quite often and the Isstvaan V rule seems like it would work very well with it. How often do these IA rules get updated and is the 2nd edition IAV2 ruleset due for an update anytime soon? I'd hate to drop $75 on some rules that are going to need to be replaced soon. Also, has there been any consensus on whether our land raiders will lose deep strike in the new codex? If they do, the Isstvaan V rule loses much of its appeal.

Great analysis Jolemai. I must admit that these were a really pleasant surprise when I got to the end of my copy of  IA 2, they add really interesting and useful extra dimensions to what your vehicles can do.

Red-Beard, the 2nd ed. version came out last year and a quick wiki check reveals that the original IA 2 was released in 2004. Obviously that can;t speak too much to activities going forward, but it seems unlikely they'd be revamping the current incarnation of the book any time soon. Not least because there are many other books that need updates (they only just re-did IA 4) and new ones to release.

Thanks for the post. biggrin.png

I *really* like the Isstvaan V Dropsite Massacre rule. It has me considering buying the Imperial Armour book just to be able to use these rules in my local games. I run a LRR quite often and the Isstvaan V rule seems like it would work very well with it. How often do these IA rules get updated and is the 2nd edition IAV2 ruleset due for an update anytime soon? I'd hate to drop $75 on some rules that are going to need to be replaced soon. Also, has there been any consensus on whether our land raiders will lose deep strike in the new codex? If they do, the Isstvaan V rule loses much of its appeal.

RB - version 2 has just (2013) been updated. So, its unlikely to change for a while. FW are also really good with their FAQ updates.

Glad people are finding this useful. If people are interested, I could add what units would benefit most from each one? It will need some ideas though...

Also, remember that these aren't free upgrades; each one has it's own points cost listed next to the relevant entry!

Hoping to playtest with battle of keylek on a caestus soon. Really torn between that and war of murder though, on a sicaran. Chose battle of keylek to combat wave serpents and broadsides sitting in ruins mainly, but will be awesome against hordes in cover too with firefury missiles besides the large blast melta.

At 35 points its almost double the cost of war on murder though, which on a sicaran would make an impact from turn 1. Both can make a massive difference...so..hmm..

I love me some legacies of glory, no scatter drop pods are great with sternguard or dreads, or a redeemer. I tend to throw invisible sternguard with a priest and melta, and deathcompany down turn one, that's a lot of survivable troops in their backfield to deal with, melta for first blood on transport, special ammo for first blood on troops and shriek for ap2 shenanigans.

I've never used keylek even though it makes sense on the scorpius as it's expensive and I feel I get more play from the other options, though it has it's place.

A Sicarian with monster hunter is amazing versus nids, tears big things up with twin linked followed by rending with rerolls at only 20 points, not to mention a lot of brothers died on murder so it's kind of fluffy to give that legacy to a relic.

One I made use of extensively when getting back into the game was sarosh. My then local gw had a lot of nasty lists floating around on 40k night so I learnt to tighten mine up pretty quick, heldrakes and belacor at 1500 points don't like a Sicarian with night vision tank hunter sky fire and interceptor, especially when you through some missile devs with coteaz in a bunker with a void shield. Heldrake screw me once shame on you.... Heldrake screw me twice....

I have thought of throwing mars ona las/las pred or a sit back assault squad lascannon land raider, it would even help buff a Sicarian against armour, the rerolls would help with the rends versus av14a fair bit I imagine, but it could be quite evil on a melta manga dread in a pod as well, get over here!

I would also recommend schism of mars on the Relic Sicaran, resulting in a tank which is comparable to pask in a punisher, just watch your opponents face as you shred hullpoints left right and center (in fact I killed off Pask and his accompanying squadron over three turns with one :P ) Even better with lascannon sponsons :)

• 4 months later...

This stuff is really great. Am I right in saying now that if you had the book you could take this stuff in normal games unless it was outlawed?

I don't have imperial armour 2 so can't tell if it's sanctified for regular 40k

Archived