30k Vehicle/Automata Concepts - The Manufactorum

Well, the Lanius companion page is finished:

gallery_53779_9225_931644.jpg

It's pretty low-res compared to the original file (due to the 2 MG upload restriction), but I think it's still pretty good looking - like I've mentioned before, once the rules pages are done, I'll probably end up uploading each vehicles companion & rules page as a single file in the downloads section.

EDIT: wild rules suddenly appear!

LEGION SICARAN BATTLE TANK:

Sicaran Tank: BS: 4 Armour: 13/12/12 HP: 3

Sicaran Lanius Tank: BS: 4 Armour: 13/12/12 HP: 3

Sicaran Dominus Tank: BS: 4 Armour: 13/12/12 HP: 3

Unit Composition:

• 1 Legion Sicaran of any type

Unit Type:

• Vehicle (Tank, Fast)

Wargear (all):

• Searchlight
  • Smoke launcher
  • Heavy bolter
  • Extra armour

Wargear (Sicaran Tank):

• Turret mounted twin-linked accelerator autocannon

Wargear (Sicaran Lanius Tank):

• Turret mounted twin-linked kheres assault cannon

Wargear (Sicaran Dominus Tank):

• Turret mounted twin-linked graviton cannon

Special Rules (all):

• Targeting Auguries

Options (all):

• The Sicaran may take any of the following upgrades:

-Hunter-killer missile

-Dozer blade

-Auxiliary drive

-Armoured ceramite

Options (Sicaran Tank):

• The Sicaran may take one of the following sets of two sponson weapons:

-Heavy bolters

-Lascannon

Options (Sicaran Lanius Tank):

• The Sicaran may exchange its twin-linked kheres assault cannon for a:

-Twin-linked volkite cascade

-Heavy bolters

-Heavy flamers

-Volkite culverins

Options (Sicaran Dominus Tank):

-Heavy bolters

-Lascannon

-Multi-meltas

Targeting Auguries:

Each Sicaran's turret is outfitted with a sophisticated array of sensor mechanisms, enhancing the precision with which its deadly weapons can tear apart their designated prey. Targeting Auguries give the turret-mounted weapons of each Sicaran different bonuses depending on the type of Sicaran selected.

The Sicaran Lanius Tank's turret-mounted weapon has the Shred special rule. The Sicaran Dominus Tank's turret-mounted weapon has the Ruination special rule. The effects of the Targeting Auguries on the Sicaran Tank are already reflected by the accelerator autocannon's Rapid Tracking rule.

Volkite Cascade: Range: 30" Strength: 6 AP: 5 Type: Heavy 6, Deflagrate, Pinning

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

Thanks ColdWinter. I use an online painter called Pixlr: Online Photo Editor | Pixlr Editor | Autodesk Pixlr to edit together my designs. There's no specifc technique as such, you just need to play around with it to learn how to use it, but for basic re-colours, you'll want to alter the hue, saturation & levels to give images the appropriate tone.

The main thing you'll want to do is save any files as png files - this preserves their transparency, allowing you to stack layers on top pf each other.

The main source of images I used to use was the uploads onto the 40k wiki, but since then I managed to nab some really high res jpegs of a few full page scans from 4chan *shudder* on their tg threads - that might take some nifty google-fu to find though.

Haha, thanks Mortis - as much as they're obviously an inferior Legion, gotta love the IVth Legion's personality :wink:

Having recently been made aware of mentions of Graviton Cannon Sicarans in Imperial Armour 2 Second Edition, I recently had a trawl through to see if I could identify any mentions with potential for expansion, and came up with these tidbits:

* There was a 'Tartaros' pattern Land Raider. Personally, don't have any idea around this - although I imagine it's a different base model of Land Raider, like the difference between the Proteus & Phobos

* There was suggestion of both a graviton cannon & volkite carronade sicaran. I'll likely end up doing designs for both of these - the grav version will have twin-linked turret graviton cannons as per standard, but the volkite version will mount the pretty hefty carronade in a hull mount similar to the neutron beamer on the sicaran venator, and will be something akin to the 'Sicaran Lanius Alpha' similar to the Achilles & its variant (to show the carronade lanius was an experimental prototype as the heresy began)

* There was also mention of a graviton cannon predator - again, a design for this is likely, as it's a pretty easy concept - and I'll probably end up making it a single predator subtype with the option for either the grav cannon or a volkite weapon like the leman russ incinerator - if the SA get it, you can be damn sure the Legions have one

* The Orgus Flyer was also mentioned - although this is pretty out of the remit of my edited designs, I may well do a sketch or two to flesh out my vision of it - this may even end up in an 'official' schematic page (similar to the power armour variant pages in the Heresy books) with rules

* On the topic of schematics, it also mentions the Lucifer Dread, which was supposed to be the predecssor to the Contemptor, being especially good at breaching. Now, this sounds way closer to my Furibundus design than my Lucifer, so I think a re-designation may be appropriate (I get the feeling the 3rd Contemptor variant hinted at by FW will be called the Furibundus anyway). So that'll get a slight re-design (I'll be loosing the power-field rules for bulkier armour), and hopefully I'll be able to put out a schematics page with rules

In between all this crazyness, a new thing I'll be doing is weapon variants - some of these won't have attached rules, just being alternate patterns of existing wargear. Others will be new weapons for the Legions - I'll probably eventually do a couple of compilation pages listing additional Legion wargear / equipment in a simialr way to how the individual Legions have been getting odd pieces of gear. This'll include stuff like mass-reactive plating, which all 'tank' unit type vehicles that can take extra armour will be able to select - basically negates the 1st hull point of damage suffered, at which point all units in base contact (friendly or otherwise) suffer a hit; but the effect of the wargear doesn't apply if the 1st hull point is caused by a lance, melta or haywire weapon, in which case, the wargear has no effect for the game.

These little wargear designs will be a nice break between larger projects, and here's an idea of what the 1st two will be:

* A variant of the combi-bolter more appropriate for power armour Legionaries. Based on the phobos, it stacks the 2 barrels vertically & packs a bulkier housing, box mag & stock, with the idea being it effectively emulates a SAW. Fluffwise, I'd imagine the higher-calibre phobos has a pretty low rate of fire, so by alternating fire between the 2 adjoined barrels, the fire rate can effectively be doubled, so it becomes a way better weapon at suppresive fire, but with the vertically aligned barrels, fire trajectories are closer than on a 'normal' combi-bolter.

* An anti-material rifle version of the bolter. Basically a proper sniper boltrifle variant - full stock, appropriately elongated barrel. This thing won't have a supressor, it's all about stopping power. Not sure on specifics of which unit's will be able to take it (although vigilants & seekers are a given). Rules will probably be:

Range: 36"   Strength: 4   AP: 4  Type: Heavy1, Ignores Cover, Sniper

although somewhere down the line, I might swap out sniper for AP3

Just on a side note, if anyone has got their hands on Imperial Armour 13, and it has any mentions of previously unknown heresy era vehicles / variants, a brief would be much appreciated :biggrin.:

Well, Tartarus is a prison for the Titans in mythology. Haywire is one of the things which can effectively kill Super Heavies in enough numbers. I'm thinking something Achilles based; maybe Quad Graviton Guns with a Laser Destroyer in the hull; perhaps with a special rule which allows it to automatically remove any Void Shields?

A Twin-linked Graviton Cannon is alright, but needs something to make it more worthwhile against Legionaries; and vehicles. For the price of a Sicaran, you can pick up 2x Graviton Cannons, so it would need to be worthwhile against that. Perhaps make anything under the hole take D3 hits, and count their strength as 1 and is AP2? Makes it worthwhile?

The Carronade would probably more likely the Venator design, I like that.

I'll have a read through IA13, but I can't see many new ones being included.

To be honest, I'm doubtful the Tartaros designation actually has any meaningful reference to the region in Hades - much like with the Terminator armour of the same name, it's probably just a continuation of the common naming convention. I'd guess it'd have relatively similar weapons to the other land raider patterns, and it's another base variant rather than some kind of titan-killing monstrosity. Either way, that'd mean I'd have to come up with a new land raider chassis which I'm not greatly interested in at the moment.

With the Graviton Sicaran, I think keeping it simple would be ideal - as in an additional rule for the turret weapon (like Shred for the Lanius & ignoring Jink for the standard version). What I think I'll do is give the twin-linked Graviton Cannon Ruination, so it can also bust buildings, making it an all-round pretty versatile vehicle.

Ah okay, it's a shame about IA:13, but thanks for updating me.

Well, Tartarus is a prison for the Titans in mythology. Haywire is one of the things which can effectively kill Super Heavies in enough numbers. I'm thinking something Achilles based; maybe Quad Graviton Guns with a Laser Destroyer in the hull; perhaps with a special rule which allows it to automatically remove any Void Shields?

A Twin-linked Graviton Cannon is alright, but needs something to make it more worthwhile against Legionaries; and vehicles. For the price of a Sicaran, you can pick up 2x Graviton Cannons, so it would need to be worthwhile against that. Perhaps make anything under the hole take D3 hits, and count their strength as 1 and is AP2? Makes it worthwhile?

The Carronade would probably more likely the Venator design, I like that.

I'll have a read through IA13, but I can't see many new ones being included.

I like that idea with the Greek fluff.

I think it would be cool to use any number of the Odyssian crew members for an anti monstrous creature Sicaran. Or make one that trolls Iron hands and name it the Perseus pattern ;) cuz he kills Gorgans.

Nah, I find it useful to remember that Ferrus was laid low by a Primarch who was posessed by a Greater Demon, y'know, rather than just some Legionary chump :wink:

I'm sure that Volkite Carronade Sicaran will be pretty good at stomping on Monstrous Creatures - I'm not sure that I can stomach any more than that one, the graviton cannon one & the 2 anti-air variants (in addition to the 2 types of Lanius, the normal one & the Venator).

Anyway, have a proper sniper boltrifle:

gallery_53779_9225_1741032.jpg

Well, I was casually perusing the FW site, having a quick look around when I found myself looking at the Centaur, and I had an idea - at which point, I kinda couldn't help myself :blink.:

Hecate Rapid Strike Tank:

gallery_53779_9225_11590.png

Basic outline is:

*Fast Attack option for Solar Auxilia / Imperial Army

*Squadron of 1-5 vehicles

*Basic armament is Twin-linked Autocannon, can be upgraded to Flamestorm Cannon or Conqueror Battle Cannon

*Basic rules similar to the centaur, except looses open topped & side armour increases to 11

*Only additional weaponry it can take is hunter-killer missile, no pintle-mount

I'm also considering mocking up a missile artillery version & anti-aircraft one with a twin autocannon weapon in a housing similar to the Razorback

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

You should make one with the laser rapier array as a hunter killer vehicle. It'd look kinda like a Hetzer, but with four barrels.

*cough*

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/295603-30k-vehicle-automata-concepts-phobos-atrox-boltrifle/?p=3899533

Derp. No wonder I was thinking of it.

I wish yours looked as good as that guys rendition ;)

As mentioned before, the power-armour combi-bolter:

gallery_53779_9225_834935.jpg

With the 70 cal Phobos being the heaviest standard bolter, having a twin-linked version where barrels fire in an alternating pattern, you get double the rate of fire to basically make a Legion SAW :devil:

[just in case anyone asks, the box mag is split in half centrally, so the upper barrel is belt-fed on the other side of the gun]

I know that Combi-bolters are short ranged room clearance weapons used by Terminators etc, but is there any particular reason why the top barrel is shorter on the top than the bottom?

Honestly? Aesthetic value - I though it looks cool :P . The top barrel is actually the same length as the normal Phobos, with the lower slightly extended, so there wouldn't be any loss in effective range. I guess considering it's designed for suppresive fire mainly, the slight difference in range wouldn't really make any practical difference.

So when you gonna do weapons/loadouts for knight titans and flyers? :biggrin.:

Well, the Knight Vigilant was the first design I posted on this thread, so there's already that under my belt. In terms of flyers, I'm hoping ther'll be a design for the Xiphon Interceptor in Book 5 so I have enough components to edit together a gunship I envisaged aaaages ago.

[just in case anyone asks, the box mag is split in half centrally, so the upper barrel is belt-fed on the other side of the gun]

Sounds like a nightmare to reload.

The twin-linked thing, or double barrel assault 2 in the case of the storm bolter, never sat right with me. The worst offender being twin rotary cannon weapons; I mean, 1 weapon firing thousands of rounds a minute just isn't enough for the rules? You actually have to have two of them on the model?

*ahem*

Sorry.

Sounds like a nightmare to reload.

The twin-linked thing, or double barrel assault 2 in the case of the storm bolter, never sat right with me. The worst offender being twin rotary cannon weapons; I mean, 1 weapon firing thousands of rounds a minute just isn't enough for the rules? You actually have to have two of them on the model?

*ahem*

Sorry.

Well, it shoudn't be any more of a nightmare than any other belt-fed LMG, as you'd only have to manually feed in the belt on one side of the weapon (despite being centrally divided internally, the mag is still a single container).

I totally get what you mean in terms of twin-linked weapons. In fact, this was kinda an attempt to combat some of that obsurdity in that I'd imagine the Phobos has a pretty low rate of fire - adding an extra barrel & alternating fire between the 2 would effectively double the rate of fire, allowing the phobos to operate in a different role to a battle rifle.

As mentioned before, the power-armour combi-bolter:

gallery_53779_9225_834935.jpg

With the 70 cal Phobos being the heaviest standard bolter, having a twin-linked version where barrels fire in an alternating pattern, you get double the rate of fire to basically make a Legion SAW :devil:

Fury of the Legion with that would be intresting. This would be quite bulky, even for power armour, you wouldn't really be able to aim to a great accuracy, although I guess this isn't a marksmen weapon.