30k Vehicle/Automata Concepts - The Manufactorum

Well, I mentioned it, so here's the Ajax - it was pretty much inspired by this which Apologist shared:

LEGION AJAX HEAVY SUPPORT TANK:

The Ajax is a vehicle which owes its origins to the brutal wars of suppression against the Hrudd xenoforms which occupied the IVth Legion in the final decade before the Heresy’s outbreak. Developed in concert between the Legion’s artificers and the Adepts of the Morai Mechanicum, the tank’s primary purpose was to provide a mobile bulwark against the cataclysmic energies which accompanied the warhosts of the Temporaferrox xenos, a purpose for which it’s design drew from a number of technologies prototyped upon the Deredeo Dreadnought frame.

At the outset of the civil war, most Legions outside the IVth possessed only a scant handful of Ajax Heavy Support Tanks, having been delivered a number of initial prototypes for field testing against the myriad enemies of the Great Crusade in order to gauge it’s most effective deployment. The Iron Warriors themselves however are known to have fielded the vehicles in staggering numbers considering their complexity, resource demand and the span of time between the Ajax’s development and the first battles of the Heresy, a fact which has been attributed to the fervent industry which gripped the Legion after the staggering blow which was the rebellion of Olympia.

gallery_53779_9225_54789.png

Rules-wise, it's pretty much meant to be a mobile void-shield bubble - the weird circular thing in it's sponson is Void Paviase - basically a mix of the Stormbird's void shield projection & the Deredeo's atomantic pavaise - it's got 2 void shields which it projects in a radius of 6" from each generator, and anything under the area (incuding the tank) gets a 6+ invulnerable save / +1 to an existing save. It's also got a 10 person transport capacity, and in terms of weapons it starts of with a turret Leviathan Storm cannon which can be swapped for a Laser Destroyer Array or Hellfire Plasma Carronade, plus it's twin linked heavy bolter can be swapped for a twin heavy flamer.

(I'll do a proper rules write-up a bit later)

What the feth is that :P It's very surprising to see TL heavy bolters placed one above the other, and to see Laser Destroyer arrays in line, but it still looks darn good. I wonder if it would be possible to place the main turret towards the back, and the Heavy Bolters in the usual mini hull turret at the top of the hull?

*You forgot the Volkite option: CHOOOM...*

Thanks everyone, glad you think it's cool :thumbsup:

Love the Francis tank, especially the turret.

I like to call it the Cthulu-pattern Ajax Turret :P

Well, I mentioned it, so here's the Ajax - it was pretty much inspired by this which Apologist shared:

The Ajax is a vehicle which owes its origins to the brutal wars of suppression against the Hrudd xenoforms which occupied the IVth Legion in the final decade before the Heresy’s outbreak. Developed in concert between the Legion’s artificers and the Adepts of the Morai Mechanicum, the tank’s primary purpose was to provide a mobile bulwark against the cataclysmic energies which accompanied the warhosts of the Temporaferrox xenos, a purpose for which it’s design drew from a number of technologies prototyped upon the Deredeo Dreadnought frame.

At the outset of the civil war, most Legions outside the IVth possessed only a scant handful of Ajax Heavy Support Tanks, having been delivered a number of initial prototypes for field testing against the myriad enemies of the Great Crusade in order to gauge it’s most effective deployment. The Iron Warriors themselves however are known to have fielded the vehicles in staggering numbers considering their complexity, resource demand and the span of time between the Ajax’s development and the first battles of the Heresy, a fact which has been attributed to the fervent industry which gripped the Legion after the staggering blow which was the rebellion of Olympia.

Rules-wise, it's pretty much meant to be a mobile void-shield bubble - the weird circular thing in it's sponson is Void Paviase - basically a mix of the Stormbird's void shield projection & the Deredeo's atomantic pavaise - it's got 2 void shields which it projects in a radius of 6" from each generator, and anything under the area (incuding the tank) gets a 6+ invulnerable save / +1 to an existing save. It's also got a 10 person transport capacity, and in terms of weapons it starts of with a turret Leviathan Storm cannon which can be swapped for a Laser Destroyer Array or Hellfire Plasma Carronade, plus it's twin linked heavy bolter can be swapped for a twin heavy flamer.

What the feth is that :tongue.: It's very surprising to see TL heavy bolters placed one above the other, and to see Laser Destroyer arrays in line, but it still looks darn good. I wonder if it would be possible to place the main turret towards the back, and the Heavy Bolters in the usual mini hull turret at the top of the hull?

*You forgot the Volkite option: CHOOOM...*

I mean, you could, but you'd have awful problems with the turret actually shooting at stuff due to the humongous tracks

Plus I'm gradually pushing towards the designs deviating a bit further from the source material, hence the weird turret & prow (that said, the former draws heavily from the fellblade & the latter is pretty much a mix of the Achilles-Alpha & Sicaran fronts)

Archangel Gunship

Yeah, because that stunt with that gunship worked so well for Archangel in Mass Effect 2. :teehee:

Garrus was so pretty :cry:

Sarky Shepard disagrees.

Garrus: "No-one will give me a mirror, how bad is it?"

Shepard: "Hell Garrus you were always ugly, slap a bit of face paint on there and no-one'll be able to tell the difference!"

Garrus: "Haha- Ooh, uh, don't do that, it still hurts to laugh."

I need this in my life, so finally have an excuse to model this

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics6/img4083a61e1e7fa.jpg

However, for the rules I would reduce the transport capacity to 8 (like the upgraded proteus) since it have to use extra space for the shield generator and ammo for the storm cannon, even more if swaps for Plasma or LDA (extra PSUs), like transport reduced to a symbolic 5, as this battle role (IMHO) is more like an AFV than an APC.

I need this in my life, so finally have an excuse to model this

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics6/img4083a61e1e7fa.jpg

However, for the rules I would reduce the transport capacity to 8 (like the upgraded proteus) since it have to use extra space for the shield generator and ammo for the storm cannon, even more if swaps for Plasma or LDA (extra PSUs), like transport reduced to a symbolic 5, as this battle role (IMHO) is more like an AFV than an APC.

I have no idea what that is, and I'm a mix of terrified & amazed by it :blink.:

Uhhh, it is based off the Spartan chassis (not the Land Raider Proteus) so I thought going down from a 25 capacity to 10 was sufficient to accommodate the void-pavaise? Considering it's also effectively lost one laser destroyer? Plus it'll be a LoW (although the Iron Warriors get it as a dedicated transport for Command Squads)

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

The aberration I posted above is a converted grav-land raider by some guy on the internet. I was looking for another version but can only find that one. I missed the spartan bit. Any thoughts on the point cost?

Oh hell, no idea - I'm awful at points costs, and I take aaaaaages comparing units to figure them out - my attention span can barely handle it :P

• 1 month later...

This is kinda revisiting a design I did a while ago - the Pegasus air defence tank. Well, I wasn't hugely happy with it but I love the Bombard Leman Russ hull, and I'm always game for squeezing as many variants out of a chassis as possible, so here we have the Aurochs Assault Tank:

Excertus Imperialis Aurochs Assault Tank:

gallery_53779_9225_94673.png

Now, the version of the Aurochs I've illustrated is equipped with a Stormfront Missile Launcher because that turned out to be the easiest to depict, but the base version of the tank comes with a twin-linked avenger bolt cannon in it's place (the roof blast shield remains though), which can be upgraded to the aforementioned Stormfront, or a Duel Battlecannon, as featured on the Stormhammer.

The idea behind the Aurochs is as a bit of a glass hammer - it has a single massive weapon which it can only fire forward (no pintle mount), it'll have a low rear armour value to represent the exposed autoloader / weapon assembly at the back, so you basically hope it causes enough damage before something gets round the back and blows it to pieces. Fluff-wise, it'll be primarily a reserve vehicle, only deployed when mass saturation of fire is required, but with the whole theme of the Heresy making use of all the old mothballed equipment due to it's scale & ferocity, I thought it was appropriate.

Yeah, I'm painfully aware of the amount of inspiration I drew from the Praetor for the Aurochs' Stormfront launcher - originally, I wanted the image to be of the twin Avenger Bolt Cannon version (because A] chain guns and B] they'd look awesome under that cowl), but with the diverging perspective of the  Bombard image I used as a template, it would have been painful to do satisfactorily.

On an interesting side note, the designers at FW apparently did consider the Leman Russ chassis when designing the Praetor (or possibly the Malcador, it's tricky to tell):

http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/at2/2008/4/6/80e6ce0e7d1ac1b9c63babfeaddab9b7_4062.jpg

This was a (relatively) quick one to do, and for ages I've had a load of 'mundane' ideas for designs (i.e - vehicles which aren't amazingly exciting), but only now do I have the time / equipment / skill / inclination to produce them, so here we have:

Legion Rhino Advancer Assault Carrier:

gallery_53779_9225_207199.png

Now, I know that typically the Advancer has been depicted as having a transport capacity of around 20, but I'm not convinced you can expand the rhino's capacity to that extent without radically altering the chassis - so I figured by removing the roof & doors, as well as adding a small gantry to the rear (it may not look like much, but with the rhino's sloped rear reducing floor space, I'd guess it'd create room for 3 more Legionaries) you could push up the transport capacity to 15.

Fluff-wise, I'm gonna take it in the direction of primarily being designed as a fast assault transport, stripped down to increase the vehicle's speed, with the increased capacity a peripheral bonus.

Now, I know it doesn't look like I've changed much apart from remove the roof & doors, but just to convince myself I haven't wasted a day, here's the list of alterations:

* Removed doors, added armoured blast shield (similar to those featured on the Spartan / Proteus Land Raider)

* Removed roof, added bracing beam halfway across cavity

* Added rear gantry in place of aft ramp

* Removed the cupolas, replaced them with separate pintle-mounts and angled blast shields

* Moved the driver's door so it's central (there's supposed to be a retractable step so that the passengers can fire the pintle heavy weapons which rises out of the floor, but that was kinda tricky to depict)

* Also, you can't really see, but the frontal hull is supposed to be the same as that on the Scorpius

Oh and, here are some rules :wink:

Legion Rhino Advancer Assault Carrier:

Rhino Advancer: BS: 4 Armour (Front/Side/Rear): 11/11/10 HP: 3

Unit Composition:

* 1 Rhino Advancer

Unit Type:

* Vehicle (Tank, Transport, Open-topped, Fast)

Wargear:

* Searchlight

* Smoke launchers

* Two pintle-mounted heavy bolters

Transport Capacity:

* 15 models

Options:

* The Rhino Advancer may exchange one or both of its heavy bolters for:

- Heavy Flamer

- Multi-melta

* The Rhino Advancer may take any of the following options:

- Hunter-killer missile

- Dozer blade

- Auxiliary drive

- Extra armour

Any unit with access to a Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier as part of it options may instead select a Rhino Advancer as a Dedicated Transport if it numbers 15 models or less.

Ther'll probably be some more 'mundane' designs coming up at some point, including a Storm Eagle transporter which can carry a Rhino / Sicaran size vehicle, a Storm Eagle bomber variant which entirely exchanges it's transport capacity for ordnance, and a larger, sturdier type of sentry gun

Great minds think alike? :wink.:

Sir, you flatter me :P

For some reason I have a weird fascination with how the Legions actually deploy in logistical terms - same with any other faction (e.g how do landspeeders get planetside from orbit?), so to further that, here's the Storm Eagle Transporter:

Storm Eagle Transporter:

gallery_53779_9225_408616.png

I'm pretty happy with it to be honest - idea is it can transport Rhino or Sicaran chassis vehicles , or a pair of ordinary Dreadnoughts (they're boxy enough for the grapples to work, and any of the others would be too tall to conceivably be carried). The frontal turret would come standard with a quad heavy bolter, which could be exchanged for the autocannon or twin-lascannon versions (as seen on the Fire Raptor or Sokar Stormbird) .

There's one issue that I couldn't overcome however - due to the Storm Eagle's smaller size compared to the Thunderhawk, it wouldn't be capable of deploying it's landing gear whilst a vehicle is embarked without making said landing gear unfeasibly massive - which is fine as the VTOL jets would allow for the retrieval or deployment of vehicles, but you couldn't have them sitting on the tarmac with a vehicle embarked.

There's one issue that I couldn't overcome however - due to the Storm Eagle's smaller size compared to the Thunderhawk, it wouldn't be capable of deploying it's landing gear whilst a vehicle is embarked without making said landing gear unfeasibly massive - which is fine as the VTOL jets would allow for the retrieval or deployment of vehicles, but you couldn't have them sitting on the tarmac with a vehicle embarked.

Shipboard we read in the HH books that most craft are secured in docking cradles, surely it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to say that there is one that allows for it's cargo to be put into position before take off?

how do landspeeders get planetside from orbit?

Please tell me you have something to answer this question. It's something that honestly has always bothered me.

BTW, that Storm Eagle Transporter is the hawtness. I really need FW to make one now (and I'm sure it would sell better than the THawk version, seeing how much cheaper it would be.)

Shipboard we read in the HH books that most craft are secured in docking cradles, surely it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to say that there is one that allows for it's cargo to be put into position before take off?

Yeah that's how I imagined they'd be loaded shipboard - with the Transporters held in docking cradles above the launch bay floor, so all their cargo would have to do is line up beneath the aircraft, allowing full maintenance of both while still battle-ready.

As poor a source as it may seem, in the Ultramarines movie, they transport a Land Speeder inside a Thunderhawk.

Well, that seems... boring. I guess it makes sense tho.

Yeah, I mean, I always assumed that Jetbikes / Landspeeders would just be carried in any enclosed aircraft with a large enough passenger capacity (e.g Thunderhawk and above).

However, in Legions with access to thousands (tens of thousands?) of different vehicles, there would be specialized aircraft specifically designed / modified to carry their skimmers planetside. Theoretically, they could be carried in the same way as tanks underneath transporter-style aircraft, but you'd need a way for the Legionaries to access them in-flight after the craft has entered the atmosphere (there's no way they're surviving re-entry outside the hull).

One idea I had was for dedicated dropships similar to the current super-heavy transports, but with a set of hinged trapdoors along their ventral fuselage, allowing skimmers held within to be dropped into the atmosphere once the aircraft had reached a low enough altitude.

For example, you could have a 'Thunderhawk Dropship' based off the transporter, with walls and a hinged floor put in place around the transport bay - inside the bay, you could have a gantry running it's length, allowing their crews to access the skimmers held within. If the hull is wide enough, you could even have Jetbikes suspended in cradles either side of the central gantry, with Landspeeders suspended in the same way below (for illustrative purposes, have a look at the internal image of the Transporter's hull below:

Thawktgeneric11367231444517e4bd4c5e62.jp