30k Vehicle/Automata Concepts - The Manufactorum

A sentinel with a mauler bolt cannon or twin linked volkite culverin would be awesome!

Well, it's not admech so no Mauler bolt cannon, but the 30k version can have a single volkite culverin ... sometimes I feel like half this thread is stomping all over people's hopes and dreams :happy.:

Seriously though, here's the loadout:

Starts off with a rotor cannon (twin-linked heavy stubber for the 40k version) & gorgon mortar

- Rotor cannon can be swapped for:

* Autocannon

* Heavy bolter

* Multi-melta

* Plasma cannon

* Volkite culverin

* Reaper autocannon

- Gorgon mortar can be swapped for:

* Missile launcher

* Lascannon

- Can take the following pintle-mounted weapons:

* Heavy stubber

* Heavy flamer

* Multi-laser

Red = 40k only, Blue = 30k only

Wait, it can take a pintle-mounted weapon as well as the rest ? I think placing the mortar/ML/Lascannon on a pintle could be rather awesome though. Can this missile launcher take AA missiles ?

I imagine I should wait and see your sketches though :)

A sentinel with a mauler bolt cannon or twin linked volkite culverin would be awesome!

Well, it's not admech so no Mauler bolt cannon, but the 30k version can have a single volkite culverin ... sometimes I feel like half this thread is stomping all over people's hopes and dreams :happy.:

Seriously though, here's the loadout:

Starts off with a rotor cannon (twin-linked heavy stubber for the 40k version) & gorgon mortar

- Rotor cannon can be swapped for:

* Autocannon

* Heavy bolter

* Multi-melta

* Plasma cannon

* Volkite culverin

* Reaper autocannon

- Gorgon mortar can be swapped for:

* Missile launcher

* Lascannon

- Can take the following pintle-mounted weapons:

* Heavy stubber

* Heavy flamer

* Multi-laser

Red = 40k only, Blue = 30k only

Wait, it can take a pintle-mounted weapon as well as the rest ? I think placing the mortar/ML/Lascannon on a pintle could be rather awesome though. Can this missile launcher take AA missiles ?

I imagine I should wait and see your sketches though :smile.:

The mortar / missile launcher / lascannon is mounted similar to this:

http://skaystore.ru/images/detailed/72/Rocketsent6.jpg

And yeah, AA missiles would be an upgrade

Do you use a formula for your points calculations?

I don't really do points values for this stuff exactly for that reason - it's very difficult to get 'right' - in the odd occasion that I have, it's involved absolutely loads of cross-referencinng between existing FW profiles

Yeah, so here's the Phaeton-pattern Heavy Assault Sentinel & Deimos Baneblade - I've left of the latter's cannon to expose more of the hull & I'll probably follow it up with some digital art which showcases the details a bit better:

gallery_53779_9225_43290.jpg

Phaeton Pattern Heavy Assault Sentinel:

Counted amongst the heaviest class of sentinel walker, the Phaeton pattern heavy assault sentinel is armed and armoured to withstand engagements utterly unsuited to the more widespread classes of sentinel scout walker, capable of engaging a variety of enemy targets and entirely environmentally sealed. These features ensured their high demand by Imperialis Auxilia forces across the fronts of the Great Crusade, resulting in a number of compacts between Phaeton and lesser Forge Worlds enabling greater supply to those divisions of the Imperial Army which require this heavier pattern of sentinel. Some Imperialis Auxilia regiments fielded the Phaeton pattern in the same scouting role as their lighter counterparts, most notably forces patterned on the Solar Auxilia template, which required the walker’s explorator adaptation to survive the extremely hostile environments they were often deployed to. Others fielded the Phaeton pattern as an analogue to battle tanks, fielded in dedicated companies to navigate urban ruins, mountainous or marshy terrain which would impede tracked vehicles, although a number of regiments exclusively fielded such vehicles in the place of mainline battle tanks.

gallery_53779_9225_848815.jpg

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

I think it needs a bigger gun on top.

He's left the barrel out for us to see the hull better :)

Also, love the Sentinel, though I'd definitely take off the pintle mounted weapon (the way you've put the ML looks like what I was thinking of for a "pintle mounted ML" ) I can't see how the top-half operator could use both weapons at the same time.

It looks like a big Sicaran :biggrin.:

If that's the case, that Sicaran has really let itself go

He's left the barrel out for us to see the hull better :smile.:

Also, love the Sentinel, though I'd definitely take off the pintle mounted weapon (the way you've put the ML looks like what I was thinking of for a "pintle mounted ML" ) I can't see how the top-half operator could use both weapons at the same time.

Well, there's no harm in redundancies is there? :P - I doubt the Chimera gunner can shoot it's pintle & turret weapons simultaneously either 

To be honest, half the point of the pintle weapon is for urban ruins, so the crew can engage infantry attacking from adjacent buildings

It looks like a big Sicaran :biggrin.:

If that's the case, that Sicaran has really let itself go

He's left the barrel out for us to see the hull better :smile.:

Well, there's no harm in redundancies is there? :tongue.: - I doubt the Chimera gunner can shoot it's pintle & turret weapons simultaneously either 

To be honest, half the point of the pintle weapon is for urban ruins, so the crew can engage infantry attacking from adjacent buildings

I suppose that's a sound explanation, though for a smallish walker like this it should probably be reflected in the rules as well.

Anyone remember the Thunderstrike tank mentioned in Extermination? Me too: :tongue.:

THUNDERSTRIKE HEAVY ARTILLERY TANK:

Thunderstrike with Fulcrum Siege Launcher:

gallery_53779_9225_72449.png

Thunderstrike with Quad Mortar Array:

gallery_53779_9225_20124.png

I'll be doing shaded versions to help pick out the detail, as well as rules that'll come in a later post (for now though, the sponson weapons are frag cannon / flamestorm cannon / twin-linked lascannon).

Looking at your Fulcrum Siege Launcher, makes me want to suggest replacing the top weapons with a Scorpius missile launcher instead, then get a left and right Scorpius ML rocket-pod to put on each sponson and maybe some frag launchers'.  I do like the quad mortar variant though.

Quad Launcher Array?!

Put some Phosphex in that and I'll be so happy.

It'll come with Frag shells as standard, and you can buy a single additional shell type: Shatter / Incendiary / Splinter and yes, Phosphex canisters too (only if you have a Siege Breaker though ;) )  

Anybody got more info on the Thunderstrike tank?

All I could find on it was the name really, and that it's highly favoured by the Iron Warriors - there's some chatter across the net that it's supposed to be based on a rhino hull, but there didn't seem to be any source so I passed it off as speculation

Looking at your Fulcrum Siege Launcher, makes me want to suggest replacing the top weapons with a Scorpius missile launcher instead, then get a left and right Scorpius ML rocket-pod to put on each sponson and maybe some frag launchers'.  I do like the quad mortar variant though.

I'm not sure that's quite how sponsons work :tongue.:  - the Fulcrum Siege Launcher is there because it's rocket-artillery rather than line-of-sight, unlike the Scorpius laucher

GET HIRED BY FORGE WORLD ALREADY SO YOU CAN TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Seriously, you're gonna make us need a new force org chart with only heavy support slots :tongue.:

It's not my fault they're mostly heavy support - I just like tanks okay? :P

I'm not sure that's quite how sponsons work :tongue.:  - the Fulcrum Siege Launcher is there because it's rocket-artillery rather than line-of-sight, unlike the Scorpius laucher

WW1 tanks had their main weapons on sponsons: one "cannon" on each side for "male" variants, and two machine guns on each side for "female" variants, at least for british tanks.

Incredible work! I wouldn't mind a few of those Thunderstrikes to accompany my Iron Warriors. 

Thanks dude, it took a lot of effort to come up with a design for a favourite of the Iron Warriors *shudders* but I worked through it :P

Have you seen the size of the Scorpius launchers? That would be one crazy tank :tongue.:

A couple of Havoc Launchers, maybe Cyclones, though... After all, the Gorgon gets a pair of Mortars.

Yeah Cyclones work with the deimos sponson mounts as demonstrated by the Javelin - the sponsons for the Sicaran Vindex are supposed to be the same design but housing different missiles

The reason I didn't go for another artillery weapon for the Thunderstrike's sponsons is because nothing of that ilk works for the armoured sponsons I wanted to go with, which are integral to the tanks whole siege look

Very cool! Had you considered not having sponsons at all on the Thunderstrike? 

It'd be a nice homage to the Epic 40,000-era Chaos Land Raider; one variant of which was turreted, with no sponsons (it's the assembled one on the lower right through the link). I love little tie-ins like that, and your sketch immediately reminded me of it. :smile.:

Edited by Apologist